Whether you live in a city with a great biking culture or you are simply trying to save money on gas, owning a bike can be a great way to commute or get exercise. While there are many components to owning a bike, choosing a good bike lock that suits your needs is essential. Many choose to lock up their bike all day while at work or school, and others just need a simple lock while running into the store. Each bike lock has its own special features, and deciding which one can be overwhelming.
With so many different bike locks on the market, our team of experts tackled the job of finding out which ones were the best. We looked at features like lock type, cord length and materials and narrowed down styles to the ones that really stood out. Let’s take a look at our recommendations for the best bike locks you can buy in Canada for 2023.
The 6 Best Bike Locks for Canadians in 2023
- Best Overall: Via Velo Bike Lock
- Best U-Lock: Kryptonite Evolution U-Lock
- Best for Taller Bikes: Amazon Basics Keyed Cable Bike Lock
- Best Combination Style: Master Lock 8143D Bike Lock
- Best Budget-Friendly: Sanwo Security Bike Lock
- Best Anti-Theft: Kryptonite New-U Standard Heavy Duty Bike Lock
Why Did We Choose These Bike Locks in Canada?
We chose every bike lock on this list for a specific reason, and they all made the list because they offer a wide range of features and styles that we believe are important to Canadians. These bike locks offer the very best in security, ease of use, durable materials, and a variety of lengths. These features are some of the most vital options for the best bike locks in Canada of 2023. Here’s why we chose each of these options to recommend to you.
The Via Velo Bike Lock is our choice for the best overall bike lock in Canada. The u-lock design makes the bike lock more effective because thieves have a harder time maneuvering their tools in and around the bike lock to cut through it, while its materials ensure durability throughout the outdoor elements.
The Kryptonite Evolution U-Lock made the list as the best U-Style bike lock in Canada because it offers the most useful combination of features, a high-security design, and a long length to make securing your bike to almost anything easy and effective.
Our choice for the best longer-length bike lock is the Amazon Basics Keyed Cable Bike Lock. It features a 1.83 metres long braided steel cable that’s perfect for securing your bike anywhere, even if you have a taller bike or a larger frame.
If a combination style lock is more suitable for your needs, we recommend the Master Lock 8143D Bike Lock as our best choice. It is made from braided steel for extra security and coated in durable vinyl to protect your bike from damage.
Many Canadians are not seeking an expensive high-tech bike lock and would prefer a high-quality option offered at a lower price point. The Sanwo Security Bike Lock is our pick for the best budget-friendly bike lock, and it is perfect for those needing a lock on an occasional basis for short errands.
Users who live in areas where theft is more common or are locking their bikes up outside all day long may be concerned about bike theft. The Kryptonite New-U Standard Heavy Duty Bike Lock is a great choice for an excellent anti-theft bike lock, and it is made of durable alloy steel that is incredibly difficult to break through.
Via Velo Bike Lock
Our choice of the best overall bike lock brings together the perfect combination of strength, security, durability, and functionality. The Via Velo Bike Lock is a bike lock that is great for any situation. Whether you’re locking your bike up in a high-traffic area like a busy city or a college campus, securing it at your own home overnight, or locking it for safekeeping while you explore the outdoors, this lock will get the job done.
Its U-lock system ensures extra security, and the mounting bracket rotates 360 degrees, which allows you to position the bike lock where it makes the most sense on the frame. The non-slip pad helps prevent the mounting system from shifting or sliding around.
This bike lock has a 14-millimetre shackle size and a 1.8-metre cable, so you can secure your bike virtually anywhere. It is covered in protective, heavy-duty PVC to prevent corrosion and protect the lock from dust, dirt, and elements. The bracket easily fits bike tubes between 20 and 42 millimetres, which makes it versatile enough to work with almost any style of bicycle. It even comes equipped with a locking cover to keep debris from jamming your lock.
The cable included with this bike lock is manufactured from woven steel, making it resistant to bolt cutters and other cutting tools. The U-lock includes a double-bolt design that resists drills, lock picks, and leveraged attacks. The combination of these security features means thieves will take one look at this bike lock and decide that attempting to steal your bike is just not worth the trouble.
- Built-In Monitoring System. The convenient mounting system helps secure the lock right to the front of the frame of the bike when not in use, making storage a breeze.
- PVC Cover. This heavy-duty protective cover is made of PVC and prevents corrosion, rust, and dirt from building up on the lock.
- Double-Bolt Design. This unique design resists bolt cutters, lock picks and drills, keeping your bike safe and secure.
- Extra-long Cord. With a 1.8 metre cable, you can lock up your bike nearly anywhere, and it won’t be limited to specific bike racks.
Our Expert’s Take
“This bike lock is a great all-around choice for most Canadians, and is made from durable theft-resistant materials and features a unique mounting system that stores your lock while riding.”
Kryptonite Evolution U-Lock
A U-lock design offers cyclists additional security and protection when locking up their bikes. If you’re looking for the best of the best in U-lock bike locks, we recommend the Kryptonite Evolution U-Lock. It made the list for our favourite U-lock style bike lock.
The U-Lock design is one of the newest and greatest innovations in bike lock technology because it requires that a thief cut through a thick, heavy-duty, double-bolted cylinder. The U-lock rides close to the frame of the bike, which makes it harder for a criminal to maneuver bolt cutters or tools into a position where they can cut the metal. That’s what makes a U-Lock so effective and a great deterrent to thieves.
The Kryptonite Evolution U-Lock is made from heavy-duty steel and coated in protective vinyl, so it won’t damage your bicycle or anything else it comes in contact with. The shackle is crafted from 13-millimetre steel, which can hold up against bolt cutters and attempts to pop the lock through leverage. This particular bike lock also features a double-deadbolt design, meaning it uses twin deadbolts to lock the mechanism instead of a single piece of steel, which makes it nearly impossible to force open.
This bike lock features a disk-style keyed cylinder design, which means only a key will open it and it is virtually impossible to pick or drill open. Included are three stainless steel keys with an updated design. One of the keys has an LED key fob so you won’t have to fumble around in the dark. And there’s a handy slidable dust cover to keep the lock free from dirt, dust, and corrosion, which extends the life of your bike lock. The cable is 1.22 metres long and manufactured from double-looped steel for added security.
- High-Quality Construction. This bike lock is crafted from heavy-duty steel material, which helps prevent theft and increases long-term durability.
- U-Lock Design. Those concerned that their bike might be stolen will benefit from the U-Lock design, which adds an extra layer of security.
- Dust Cover. Preventing dirt inside the lock is a slidable dust cover, which keeps the keyhole clean and dust-free.
- Double Deadbolt. For added theft protection, the double-deadbolt design is one of the strongest designs on the market and makes the lock virtually impossible to break or pick.
Our Expert’s Take
“This bike lock is designed with an extremely secure U-lock design that adds extra protection against theft, perfect for anyone storing their bikes for long periods of time in public.”
Best for Taller Bikes
Amazon Basics Keyed Cable Bike Lock
Sometimes, you just need a little bit more. When it comes to bike locks, that means a little bit of extra length for the cable. That’s what you get with the Amazon Basics Keyed Cable Bike Lock. It provides the longest length of cable of any bike lock on our list, which makes it super convenient for those times when you need to make that cable stretch further. It’s even long enough to secure more than one bicycle at a time, so there’s no reason to invest in two locks!
This bike lock has a 1.83-metre cable, so there’s really nothing it can’t handle. Locking your bike to a bike rack is one thing, but sometimes there’s no bike rack available. That means you have to find a location where you can secure your bike, and sometimes that means an extra-thick light pole or some other structure that has a wide diameter. For those times, you need a cable that can wrap around that structure with ease.
The Amazon Basics Cable Bike Lock uses a secure key design for added security. But what’s really nice about this bike lock is its easy-lock design. You don’t need to use the key to lock it. It’s made from durable steel and coated with heavy-duty plastic, which protects your bike and belongings from damage or scratches and protects your bike lock from corrosion and the weather so it will last longer.
- Long Cable. This bike lock is an extra-long 1.83 metres, ensuring even tall bikes will easily be able to be locked up.
- Easy-Lock Design. This unique design allows you to lock the bike without using the key.
- High-Quality Construction. Made of heavy-duty steel and coated with durable plastic, this lock is designed for long-term use.
- Keyed Lock. Canadians worried about remembering a combination code will appreciate this keyed lock, which is easily stored on a keychain.
Our Expert’s Take
“This extra long cable on the bike lock is perfect for taller bikes or thick poles you may be locking your bike to, making it a good choice for those taking their bike to work or school.”
Best Combination Style
Master Lock 8143D Bike Lock
Some people prefer the convenience of a combination-style bike lock, especially those who are worried about the possibility of losing an important set of keys. For those types of cyclists, we recommend the Master Lock 8143D Bike Lock as our favourite combination style bike lock. It can easily secure your bike by wrapping around virtually any part of the frame or tires and has a long enough cable to allow you to lock the bike to virtually any bike rack, light pole, or any other place that is convenient for you.
The combination style locks make it easy to not only secure your bicycle but have multi-use purposes around your home or business. You can use them to secure equipment, tools, and other outdoor vehicles as well. That provides excellent flexibility of use and means you can use this combination style bike lock for virtually any use
This Master Lock Bike Lock features a four-digit combination lock, which makes it virtually impossible to crack. The cable is made from braided steel, so it will hold up to cutting attacks from thieves using bolt cutters or other sharp tools. And it’s 8 millimetres in diameter, so it’s thick enough to prevent breaking or cutting from any type of tool.
The cord is coated in heavy-duty vinyl, which protects the steel cable from the elements and corrosion and protects your bike from scratches. It also protects your valuables and belongings when carried in a bag or satchel.
- Combination Lock. This easy-to-use combination lock eliminates the need for keys, which is great for Canadians who don’t want to carry keys or worry about losing them.
- Vinyl Outside Coating. This thick vinyl coating protects from rust, corrosion and dirt build-up and can be easily washed when needed.
- Steel Cable. Made from braided steel, the cable on this lock is difficult to cut through, ensuring maximum protection against theft.
- Multi-Purpose Design. This bike lock can be used for multiple things around your house, garage or shed that need securing.
Our Expert’s Take
“Canadians who don’t want to keep track of a key for their bike lock will love this combination style, which is strong and has maximum protection against bike theft.”
Sanwo Security Bike Lock
For Canadians seeking a great bike lock with a lower price point than some of the more expensive options on the market, the Sanwo Security Bike Lock is a great choice. This is our favourite bike lock for our budget-friendly readers in Canada. This no-frills bike lock has high security, excellent construction and a solid locking system.
The bike lock cable is 54.9 cm long and is made from strong alloy steel and wire inside a thick PVC coating. This shorter cord may not work for taller bikes or thicker poles, and is best suited for close proximity and thinner poles. Virtually impossible to cut and damage, those who store their bikes outside in public spaces will find peace of mind with the security that this lock offers.
The lock is made from steel and has an anti-theft built-in lock core, which prevents any sort of picking or breaking. Those worried about losing a key to their bike lock will appreciate the combination lock, which can be custom set to any four-digit combination the user prefers.
While many other bike locks on the market come at a high price point, this bike lock is surprisingly inexpensive, making it accessible for users, especially students. Despite the budget-friendly cost, this is still an incredibly high-quality lock and will work perfectly for anyone needing to secure a bike during school or while running errands.
- Combination Lock. This easy-to-program combination lock is great for those who don’t want to worry about losing keys while on the go.
- Durable Materials. Made of high-quality steel, wire and PVC, this bike lock is great for any Canadian concerned about bike theft.
- Short Cable Length. This 54.9 cm length cabled bike lock is great for anyone who wants a shorter cord that can be stored easily when not in use.
- Budget-Friendly. This Sanwo bike lock is extremely budget-friendly and a fraction of the cost of some others on the Canadian market.
Our Expert’s Take
“This bike lock has great features like an easy-to-set combination lock, a short cord length and most importantly, a budget-friendly price point.”
Kryptonite New-U Standard Heavy Duty Bike Lock
Many Canadians have worries about the theft of their bike, whether due to living in a high crime area or keeping their bike outside when not in use. The Kryptonite New-U Standard Heavy-Duty Bike Lock is our choice for the best anti-theft bike lock that you can get in Canada. It features multiple protections that are specifically designed to stop theft in its tracks, while its durable material will stay clean and rust-free throughout the years.
Made from high-quality steel that is 14 millimetres thick, this lock is nearly impossible to break or pick. The lock mechanism is a disc cylinder that features a double-deadbolt design for extra security. A losing steel sleeve covers the lock to protect it from debris, rust and corrosion, so the interior is always clean and dry. Those living in areas where theft is an issue will find this lock will provide the peace of mind they need.
The U-shape lock helps to further deter theft, as it can be tricky to get a cutting instrument in the correct position to attempt to cut it compared to cable locks. The thick steel is impossible to cut with a bolt cutter or other cutting tools, and the lock is pick and drill-resistant. The anti-theft properties of this lock are impressive, and any Canadian worried about theft of their bike should consider this option.
Those who worry about losing the keys to the lock will appreciate that it comes with three different stainless steel keys, just in case you misplace one. Nighttime bike riders will benefit from the LED key fob that you can attach to the keys to help you quickly and efficiently unlock your bike and get on your way.
- U-Lock Design. U-style lock design prevents theft and is perfect for Canadians who keep their bike outside and in public spaces.
- Double Deadbolts. With double deadbolts and a sliding steel sleeve, this bike lock is extra secure.
- Extra Keys. Unlike other bike locks that come with one key, this Kryptonite lock comes with three stainless steel keys.
- LED Lighting. Those who ride their bike at night or keep their bike locked in dark areas will appreciate the LED lighting on the key fob.
Our Expert’s Take
“Those who are extra concerned about the safety of their bike due to busy cities, public spaces or areas with crime will love this bike lock, which has added security measures in place to prevent theft.”
Comparing the Best Bike Locks for Canadians
|Category||Bike Lock||Lock Type||Cord Length||Weight||Material|
|Best Overall||Via Velo Bike Lock||U-Lock/Pin Tumbler||1.8 m||1.45 kg||Alloy steel, PVC|
|Best U-Lock||Kryptonite Evolution U-Lock||Keyed disk cylinder||1.22 m||1.62 kg||Aluminum, Steel, Vinyl|
|Best for Taller Bikes||Amazon Basics Keyed Cable Bike Lock||Keyed Cable Lock||1.83 m||277 g||Steel and Plastic|
|Best Combination Style||Master Lock 8143D Bike Lock||Combination Lock||1.2 m||181 g||Stainless steel, vinyl|
|Best Budget-Friendly||Sanwo Security Bike Lock||Combination Lock||54.9 cm||140 g||Alloy Steel, PVC|
|Best Anti-Theft||Kryptonite New-U Standard Heavy Duty Bike Lock||U-Lock||None||1.59 kg||Steel, Vinyl|
How We Selected These Bike Locks in Canada
We’re in the business of helping Canadians make the most informed choices when it comes to the products they use every day. From electronics to furniture and everything in between, we evaluate a wide variety of household items because we know that Canadians value their hard-earned money, and we want to help you get the most bang for your buck.
We evaluate every product we review thoroughly. Our experts develop an opinion based on research and in-depth analysis. Based on the information we gather from those sources, we’re able to compile a list of the best of the best in each category. For our list of the best bike locks in Canada, we looked for a combination of the following features:
- Effective Lock Styles. Our list consists of both U-Lock and combination-style bike locks. We feel that these choices offer the best options for ease of use and security for Canadians. We included both options because some might prefer a lock and key style, while others prefer a combination lock.
- Material Choice. There’s nothing more important than the choice of material when it comes to the effectiveness of a bike lock. The bike locks on our list are crafted from heavy-duty steel, and the cables are all braided steel – because these options provide the most resistance against the tools that bike thieves use the most.
- Size and Length. There is a wide range of choices when it comes to the size of a bike lock. U-lock styles need to be long enough to fit easily around any part of a bicycle and have a wide enough diameter to resist any cutting tools. Cable-style locks must be long enough to easily wrap around any fixture or bike rack so that you can easily lock your bike anywhere.
- Durability. A bike lock is frequently exposed to the elements, which means the design must include features that will protect the lock and metal parts from corrosion. We chose bike locks that were designed to hold up against rain, snow, sleet, water, dirt, dust, and debris – because you want to protect your investment and make sure your bike lock functions for a long time.
Why Use a Bike Lock in Canada?
The high dollar value of most bicycles today combined with how easy it is to resell them on the black market make them prime targets for thieves. To avoid putting your bike in harm’s way, you should consider purchasing a bike lock. No matter where you live, a lock can secure your belongings and deter those with bad intentions.
- Deter Criminals. Using any type of bike lock can deter criminal activity, especially if you choose a tough lock that is difficult to remove without a key. The longer it takes to steal your bike, the higher the chance that a criminal will get caught.
- Securing Your Bike. Today’s bike locks are difficult to cut through or pry open. If you are using an older lock, your bike may be at risk. Purchasing a new lock with heavier protections will keep your property safe.
- Protect Your Investment. Bicycles are available in a range of prices, but most start at around $100. When you spend that much money (or even up to $1,000 and beyond) on a bike, you want to keep it safe. A bike lock is an inexpensive way to protect your much more expensive investment.
How to Choose a Bike Lock for Canadians
When choosing a bike lock, you need to be aware of a few factors that can influence your decision. it’s important to choose the right lock for your bike and your intended purpose. The last thing you want is to be stuck with a bike lock that doesn’t function quite like it’s supposed to, leaving your bike open to theft. Before you make a decision, consider the following factors.
Bike Size and Style
The size and style of your bike matter when choosing a bike lock. You need to make sure that the lock you choose will fit correctly. If you’re using a U-lock style, you want to make sure the width of the lock is wider than the diameter of the widest point on the bike’s frame. That way you can be sure it will fit anywhere on the bike. Cable-style locks are pretty universal, but make sure you choose one that is long enough to secure your bike anywhere.
The materials that a bike lock is made from are important and add to the level of security that the bike lock provides. Bike thieves use a lot of different tools to cut or break a bike lock, like metal cutters, pry bars, and other tools that can easily cut or snip through metal. Make sure you choose a bike lock that is manufactured from heavy-duty materials that can withstand cutting attacks from thieves. If you’re using a bike lock with a cable, make sure you choose one that features braided, woven, or reinforced metal.
There are a few different lock styles to choose from when purchasing a bike lock. You should look for the option that works best for you, your bike, and the locations where you usually lock it up.
- U-Locks. U-Locks are one of the most popular options on the Canadian market. These locks include a solid shackle piece with a removable cross-bar that attaches securely to a post or railing. They are lightweight options that are hard to break. They provide a great visual deterrent.
- Cable and Combination Locks. These lightweight options are great for areas where crime isn’t too high. They are lightweight and convenient but might be easier to break than U-Locks or chains. Combination locks don’t require keys (though they might include keyed options). For this reason, they are often easier to use.
There are other types of bike locks, but these options are the most popular and numerous on the Canadian market. Make sure to think about how much security you need, where you lock your bike up, and the type of bike you have before choosing the lock style that works best for you.
Bike locks are manufactured to withstand all types of attacks and attempts by thieves to either cut, break, or disable them. When choosing a bike lock, look for one that includes anti-theft measures aside from just the type of materials used.
U-Style locks now include a double deadbolt design, making it harder to force the lock open. The best bike locks have a combination of heavy-duty, high-quality materials and incorporate anti-theft measures to provide the best protection against thieves.
If you’re planning on carrying your bike lock around with you, then the weight of the bike lock is likely to be important. This is especially true if you plan to travel long distances. You won’t want to carry a heavy bike lock on your person when you’re riding, or in your purse or backpack if you’re on foot. Consider a bike lock that is built to be lightweight and portable without sacrificing any measure of security. Or, choose a bike lock that easily mounts directly onto your bike frame, so you don’t need to worry about carrying it with you.
Are you a rural resident who just wants a piece of mind? Or do you live in a high-crime area? The location where you live and work – and where you will be locking up your bicycle, matters. Choose a lock that provides a high level of security if you’re worried about the possibility of your bike being stolen regularly. Depending on where you live, you may need a different type of bike lock. Always go fo the option that gives you the most security no matter where you plan on locking up your bike.
You don’t want thieves to have access to your bike, but you don’t want to struggle to unlock your bike when it’s time to head home. You should consider the different unlocking methods that are available for your bike lock. There are two considerations, here: first, you need a bike lock that is easy for you to get into when you need to. You also need a lock that isn’t easy for a criminal to break or decode.
For this reason, it’s best to go with a simple, effective locking mechanism to get the job done. Key locks can be picked, so you might want to try using a combination lock or other type of complicated closure that is still easy for you to access
Frequently Asked Questions
Most bike locks come equipped with protective coverings to keep moisture and dirt from corroding the metal components. However, it’s always a good idea to perform some simple maintenance and care on your bike lock to keep it in good working condition. Wipe it down with a clean cloth and plain water if it gets soiled or dirty. Spray some lubricant or WD40 into the locking mechanism if it starts to stick.
No, the bike locks that we have recommended all have incredible safety features. These measures include durable and tamper-proof steel and unbreakable locks that can’t be picked. Any Canadian concerned about theft will benefit from one of the locks we have in our review today.
Some bike locks will work great to lock up household items of value in your garage or shed. If you want to secure tools, a lawnmower or other items, you just need to have a stationary item like a post to lock it to. Those wanting to secure items other than bikes should look for a bike lock with a cable cord and not a U-lock design in order to secure them properly.
Most Canadians lock up their bike to a bike rack or other stationary object like a pole. To ensure that your bike lock will fit, you can use a tape measure to ensure the lock cord or U-lock will fit around your bike and the object it needs to be locked to. With some bikes being much taller than others or posts having a large circumference, not all bike locks will work, so measuring is essential.
Canadians who ride their bikes at night or early morning in the dark will want to find a great bike lock that will prevent theft while keeping them safer. All the locks we recommend will prevent theft, but a bike lock that has a built-in light can be a great feature for those who ride in the dark. The Kryptonite New-U Standard Heavy-Duty Bike Lock, amongst others, features an LED light that can help you quickly lock and unlock your bike in dark places, getting you on the road quicker and avoiding potential issues.