Bread makers can simplify the process of breadmaking. Canadians can use these appliances at home to remove much of the effort from getting to enjoy delicious bread. Bread makers of every experience level can enjoy the benefits of using these appliances, but it can be hard to choose the right one.
To help you with this challenge, we have selected the best bread makers in Canada for 2023. We based our extensive research on features that Canadians look for in bread makers to make sure we deliver you the most relevant results. Here’s what the best bread makers can offer you.
Best Bread Makers for Canadians in 2023
- Best Overall: Cuisinart Bread Maker
- Best Budget Bread Maker: Hamilton Beach 29882C HomeBaker Breadmaker
- Best Bread Maker for Beginners: KitchenArm 29-in-1 Smart Bread Machine
- Best Bread Maker for Pizza Dough: Neretva Bread Maker
- Best Programmable: Elite Gourmet Maxi-Matic Bread Maker
- Best Bread Maker With Dual Heaters: KBS 17-in-1 Bread Maker
- Best Double-Knead Bread Maker: West Bend 47413 Hi-Rise Bread Maker
- Best Bread Maker for Healthy Bread: ZOJI BB-PDC20BA Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus Breadmaker
Why Did We Choose These Bread Makers in Canada?
We didn’t randomly select bread makers for our list. Every product on the list deserves its spot thanks to the unique set of features it brings to the table. While all bread makers on the list are different, they share a few common features. Every product is made of top-quality materials and won’t succumb to damage quickly.
The Cuisinart Bread Maker is the best bread maker in Canada overall. With a host of options and a user-friendly interface, beginners and experts alike can enjoy the host of features offered by this bread maker.
If you’re on a limited budget but want to purchase a high-quality bread maker, the Hamilton Beach 29882C HomeBaker Breadmaker is the way to go. This appliance offers a wide range of convenient features, like delaying the beginning of the baking process or keeping the bread warm. It’s made of exceptional materials that guarantee durability and reliability.
If you’ve never used a bread maker before or don’t have a lot of experience in the kitchen, you can still enjoy delicious bread and other foods. One of the best bread makers in Canada for beginners is the KitchenArm 29-in-1 Smart Bread Machine. This appliance has 29 pre-sets, an easy-to-use design, and comes with dozens of recipes you can try out.
If you’re looking to make pizza dough as well as delicious breads, look no further. The Neretva Bread Maker has a pizza dough setting that allows you to make a range of bread, as well as high-quality pizza dough that crisps up perfectly every time.
The Elite Gourmet Maxi-Matic Bread Maker is a programmable option that can be used with 19 preset functions. This bread maker can deal with all types of bread and flours. You can create numerous types of bread, as well as pizzas, and even jams and yoghourts. This automatic bread maker makes baking much easier.
The KBS 17-in-1 Bread Maker is a great choice for those who want a horizontally-styled bread maker with dual heaters. Dual heaters allow for more efficient heating, allowing you to create delicious bread quickly and without burning the bottom.
Those who want to enjoy bread with an even, lighter texture should consider purchasing the West Bend 47413 Hi-Rise Bread Maker. This appliance has dual knead blades that ensure thorough kneading. Plus, it has 12 pre-set options, is easy to use, and comes with high-quality accessories.
If you want to make healthier bread, the ZOJI BB-PDC20BA Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus Breadmaker is an excellent choice. This bread maker offers numerous pre-set options for baking healthy bread quickly and easily. You can also create your own pre-set option and enjoy the recipes you created.
Cuisinart Bread Maker
The Cuisinart Bread Maker is the best bread maker in Canada overall. This bread machine is preprogrammed with 12 different menu functions, including white bread, french bread, whole wheat breads, ultra-fast bread, sweet bread, gluten-free bread, artisan dough, dough, jam, packaged bread mix, cake, and a baking function. You can also choose between three different crust colours and 3 loaf size options, including 1-pound, 1.5-pound, and 2-pound loaves.
Aside from that, it’s a remarkably small machine. Despite the fact that it can make larger loaves of bread, it will only take up a small portion of your countertop. If you have a smaller kitchen, this is a great option to help you make delicious bread at home.
If you are a beginner, don’t worry! This bread maker helps you work through every step of the breadmaking process. A detailed instruction guide and recipe book help you get started. The machine itself mixes the ingredients, kneads the dough, helps it rise, and bakes it automatically. There are some steps you’ll need to take as you go, but this bread maker uses indicator beeps to help you keep track of different steps you need to take. You’ll hear reminders when ti’s time to remove the paddle, add mix-in ingredients, and when the cycle is ready.
In addition to these features, this bread maker also keeps your bread warm after it bakes. This is helpful if you can’t get to it right away, or if you don’t hear the beep. You can also set this bread maker to an up to 13-hour delayed start, allowing you to get bread ready any time you need it.
- Customizable Options. This bread maker comes with 3 crust shades and 3 loaf size options, allowing you to make bread that suits your preferences every time.
- Compact Size. Despite the many things it can do, this Cuisinart bread maker takes up little counter space.
- Good for Beginners. This bread maker is a great appliance for beginner bread makers to try and to get experience with this process.
- Reminders. To assist with the process, there are beeping reminders available for many of the steps involved.
Our Expert’s Take
“This bread maker is a good option for beginners. It’s simple to understand, has intuitive controls, and features many customizable options. You can make the bread you want, with plenty of room for growth as a home baker.”
Best Budget Bread Maker
Hamilton Beach 29882C HomeBaker Breadmaker
One of the most important things many Canadians consider when purchasing a bread maker is their budget. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars to get a top-quality bread maker with interesting features. The Hamilton Beach 29882C HomeBaker Breadmaker is a great example of a great bread maker at an affordable price.
Like other models on this list of the best bread makers in Canada, this appliance is made of strong and durable stainless steel. Due to its solid construction, the bread maker will last for a long time without suffering from damage, even if you always keep it on your kitchen counter. The Hamilton Beach 29882C HomeBaker Breadmaker features non-slip feet for exceptional stability.
The appliance has 12 pre-set options, including basic, gluten-free, quick, sweet, dough, jam, cake, etc. Many users like this device because it allows them to quickly prepare dough for dinner rolls, pizzas, or cinnamon buns. In terms of options for baking bread, this bread maker lets you choose one of the two loaf size options and one of the three crust settings.
Another advantage of this bread maker is its ease of use. The appliance features a display with three buttons on each side, which let you control the settings without difficulty. Here, you can also delay the beginning of the baking process. After the process is complete, the appliance will keep your bread warm for one hour.
- Easy Preparation. This bread maker makes quick work of dough preparation, which saves time and effort.
- 12 Presets. The bread maker has 12 presets that range from basic to cake, dough, and even gluten-free.
- Durability. This bread maker is designed to last, with a sturdy build and premium materials.
- User-Friendly. This option has intuitive user-friendly controls that make it a great choice for beginners.
Our Expert’s Take
“A bread maker with useful presets and a user-friendly interface.”
Best Bread Maker for Beginners
KitchenArm 29-in-1 Smart Bread Machine
Many Canadians would love to try a bread maker but decide against it because they fear they won’t know how to use it. If you’re looking for your first bread maker, the KitchenArm 29-in-1 Bread Machine may be the way to go. Why is this bread maker great for beginners? First, it’s very easy to use. It features an intuitive screen and numerous buttons for controlling the pre-set options, time, loaf size, and crust colour. After only a few uses, you’ll know how to operate the appliance without difficulty. Secondly, this bread maker offers a whopping 29 pre-sets. With this appliance, you can prepare bread, jam, yogurt, cake, and pasta. All you need to do is add the ingredients and select the desired pre-set.
The KitchenArm 29-in-1 Bread Machine lets you prepare different kinds of bread, including basic white, French, sweet, whole wheat, dark rye, gluten-free, and many others. If you need to follow a specific diet plan or want to reduce the consumption of white flour, this bread maker can be a perfect ally. Those who want to add nuts to whatever they’re preparing in the bread maker will be happy to know there’s an alarm that will notify you when it’s time to do so.
This appliance is packed with convenient features that make preparing different foods much easier. For example, there’s a delay timer which you can use to set the beginning of the baking process up to 15 hours ahead. Plus, there’s the “Keep Warm” option that prevents your food from getting cold after the baking process is completed.
Once you become a bread-making master, you can create your own program and adapt the machine to your recipes.
- 29 Presets. This bread maker offers comprehensive presets that range from various breads to jam and yoghurt.
- Personalization. You can use this bread machine to create your own program once you get more familiar with how it works.
- Versatile Range. The bread maker can be used for a wide range of recipes so you can get the most out of it.
- Great for Beginners. This bread maker is a very useful option for beginners that allows you to build your experience.
Our Expert’s Take
“A comprehensive bread maker with a wide range of recipes and personalization options.”
Best Bread Maker for Pizza Dough
Neretva Bread Maker
The Neretva Bread Maker offers a ton of helpful settings, including options that allow you to make the perfect pizza dough for all of your homemade creations. If you often struggle to make the perfect dough, let this bread maker help you get the results you want. Aside from the pizza dough options, there are also features that will help you make whole-wheat and gluten-free bread, presenting a wide range of programs for all of your bread needs.
This stainless steel bread maker features a retro design that has a small enough footprint for kitchens that are a bit on the smaller side. A smaller footprint and green paint job make this bread maker extremely aesthetic for even the smallest spaces. If you aren’t worried about the way your bread maker looks, rest assured that this model has plenty of powerful features to assist you in your home baking.
A 15-hour delay timer gives you the option to set your bread maker up for later use. If you need fresh bread for entertaining or dinner plans, you can set the timer up to 15 hours in advance to ensure the bread is done right on time. After the bread is finished baking, the bread maker will keep it warm for up to an hour automatically, so your bread won’t get cold or dry while you wait for the rest of your meal to be finished.
With double tubes, 360-degree baking capabilities, and a kneading paddle that mixes your ingredients perfectly, it’s easy to see why the Neretva Bread Maker is one of the best options in Canada. It comes with a non-stick bread pan, kneading paddle, and paddle removal tool. You’ll also get a measuring cup, measuring spoon, kitchen glove, and manual that showcases how to use all of the machine’s numerous features.
- Delay Timer. The 15-hour delay timer allows you to assemble the ingredients to make the perfect bread whenever you need it, which is especially helpful if you need fresh bread for dinner or guests.
- Programmable. There are 20 automatic programs, which allow you to change the size of the loaf, and your crust, as well as special options such as pizza dough, whole-wheat options, gluten-free breads, and more.
- Machine Washable. The pan, kneading paddle, measuring cup, and measuring spoon can all be washed in your dishwasher, though the rest of the bread maker must be washed by hand.
- Retro Design. While this bread maker is made of stainless steel, it uses a green palette that takes on a retro aesthetic. If you want a more colourful option for your kitchen, this is the option for you.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Neretva Bread Maker features a ton of helpful programs, as well as options to help you knead the perfect pizza dough. No matter what type of bread product you need, this bread maker can help you achieve your dreams.”
Elite Gourmet Maxi-Matic Bread Maker
The Elite Gourmet Maxi-Matic Bread Maker is an automatic programmable option that is great to use to create a range of healthy, nutritious breads. You can make loaves of up to 2 lbs in this bread maker from Elite Gourmet. There are 19 programmable presets available that are ready to deal with all types of bread and flours, removing the effort from the process. This bread maker is also an ideal choice for making gluten-free options, along with rye, rice, and wholewheat.
This bread maker streamlines the process, as you can use the appliance for every part of the process, from mixing to kneading. To enhance the functionality of the machine, it can also be used to make jam and yoghurt. You can enjoy the many programs available with the bread maker at any time. Some of the presets include basic bread, quick bread, sweet bread, French bread, and cake. It can also be used to make wholemeal dough, pizza dough, and leaven dough. When you’re ready, you can knead or mix the bread as required.
On top of the rest of the functions, there is also a defrost option and a cook option, so you can have a wide range of features available with just one touch on the display. This display will also show you the other options related to each recipe.
- 19 Programs. The 19 presets included with this bread maker are very helpful with making every part of the process easier.
- Numerous Functions. From gluten-free bread to jam and yoghurt, the bread maker can be used for a wide range of things.
- Good for Healthy Alternatives. If you are interested in healthy alternatives, you can try out rye or wholewheat bread in this machine.
- Intuitive Controls. You can easily set up each program depending on what recipe you are making.
Our Expert’s Take
“This bread maker has intuitive functions and helpful presets.”
Best Bread Maker With Dual Heaters
KBS 17-in-1 Bread Maker
The KBS 17-in-1 Bread Maker is the perfect option for Canadians who want to try new things. It’s a bit bigger than some of the other bread makers on our list, but the horizontal orientation is unique. Dual heaters inside the machine allow for even heating on all sides of your bread, so you’ll never have to deal with hard, crispy heels ever again.
There are multiple options to choose from on the touch screen display. This versatile bread machine allows you to bake a variety of different breads and other dishes. You can choose preset options for soft bread, sweet bread, natural sourdough, french bread, whole wheat bread, and more. There are plenty of options to choose from, and the included recipes will keep even the most seasoned home chefs busy.
You can also choose from 3 different crust shades and 3 serving sizes. A small, two-serving loaf is the lowest setting, while the highest can create loaves big enough to feed up to five people. Compared to some of the more upright options on our list, this bread maker is compact enough to fit in some of the smallest kitchens.
The KBS 17-in-1 Bread Maker is easy to use and simple to learn. With detailed instructions, recipes, and host of accessories, you’ll be making your favourite types of bread in no time at all.
- 17 Settings. This bread maker offers great functionality thanks to the 17 presets included with it.
- Wide Range of Accessories. To help bread makers around Canada, this bread maker comes with various accessories, from an oven mitt to a measuring cup.
- Dual Heaters. If you need to use the horizontal heating function, you can do so with this bread maker thanks to its dual heaters.
- Several Settings. The bread maker has 3 serving sizes to choose from, as well as 3 crust shades.
Our Expert’s Take
“A bread maker with dual heaters and helpful accessories.”
Best Double-Knead Bread Maker
West Bend 47413 Hi-Rise Bread Maker
Well-kneaded dough is key to a successful rising process and, ultimately, a nicely-shaped, delicious loaf of bread. One of the best bread makers in Canada that can handle large dough and guarantee thoroughly kneaded dough is the West Bend 47413 Hi-Rise Bread Maker. This bread maker has top-quality dual knead blades that give the dough an even texture, lighter taste, and higher rise.
The appliance is excellent for novices and experienced bakers alike. Beginners like this bread maker because it’s easy to use, thanks to the intuitive buttons and a screen at the front. Plus, the appliance comes with a recipe book that makes preparing bread, pasta dough, bagels, and garlic bread much easier.
The West Bend 47413 Hi-Rise Bread Maker features 12 pre-set programs, including basic, French, wholewheat, sweet, super rapid, gluten-free, and many more. Experienced bakers will appreciate the “Custom” option that lets users adjust the settings according to their preferences and enjoy the perfect loaf of bread.
This bread maker has several convenient options that make baking bread much easier. For example, it lets you delay the start of the baking process for up to 13 hours. Also, it offers three levels of crust control (light, medium, and dark) and three load size levels (two pounds, two and a half pounds, and three pounds). The appliance comes with two knead blades, a measuring cup and spoon, a non-stick bread pan, and a knead blade removal tool.
- Thorough Kneading. This bread maker ensures light texture by providing thorough kneading for each loaf.
- 12 Presets. You can use the 12 preset programs included with the bread maker to make easy work of various recipes.
- Customizable Settings. Once you are more familiar with the bread maker, you can customise the settings to suit your needs.
- Inspiration Recipe Books. If you are not sure where to begin, the bread maker comes with a recipe book for inspiration.
Our Expert’s Take
“A custom bread maker with 12 presets and thorough kneading for improved texture.”
Best Bread Maker for Healthy Bread
ZOJI BB-PDC20BA Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus Breadmaker
Many Canadians purchase a bread maker because they don’t want to eat grocery-bought bread. Unfortunately, bread from stores is often full of sugar and additives that aren’t the healthiest option. Plus, many people are allergic to some artificial ingredients commonly found in bread. On this list of the best bread makers in Canada, the ZOJI BB-PDC20BA Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus Breadmaker stands out as the best for making healthy bread. This appliance offers several healthy bread settings, including whole wheat, multi-grain, gluten-free, vegan, etc. Due to these features, this bread maker can be a great choice for Canadians who follow specific diet plans or want to eat healthier.
Another feature that distinguishes this bread maker from similar models is the design. It’s made of durable stainless steel that won’t corrode or rust even after years of use. The appliance has dual-kneading blades and an additional heater on the lid that guarantee thorough kneading and exceptional heat distribution. Thanks to the large viewing window on the top, you can monitor the baking process.
One of the 15 pre-set options is the homemade feature, which offers three settings for customizing your knead, rise, and bake times. That way, you can create your own programs, experiment, and create unique recipes for bread, cake, jam, and much more.
This appliance comes with a liquid measuring cup, a measuring spoon, nested measuring cups, and a recipe book with 50 ideas.
- Healthy Recipes. This bread maker focuses on healthy bread, with a range of alternative options like vegan and gluten-free ones.
- 15 Presets. There are 15 preset programs to assist you with tackling various recipes, such as homemade ones. Some of the presets are customizable.
- Personalized Options. Once you get more familiar with the machine, you can create your own programs according to your preferences.
- Dual-Kneading Blades. For extra efficiency, this bread maker comes with dual-kneading blades.
Our Expert’s Take
“This bread maker focuses on delicious homemade bread, as well as healthy alternatives.”
Why Trust Us?
These days, you can find dozens, if not hundreds, of websites that offer advice on purchasing bread makers and other appliances. Therefore, it’s only natural to wonder what makes us different and why you should trust our judgment.
We’ve been in the appliance industry for years and have thoroughly researched and collected data from reputable sources. Thanks to our experience and expertise, we’ve been able to curate the list of the best bread makers in Canada. This list isn’t random; every product has a set of features that make it unique.
While these appliances differ in their characteristics, all of them are made of excellent materials and built to last. This is the list of criteria we used for analyzing bread makers for Canadians:
- Functions. Every bread maker has unique functions, i.e., preprogrammed options that make baking bread and other foods quick and easy. Many bread makers feature the “Custom” option, where you can personalize a program according to your preferences.
- Measurements. Bread makers come in various sizes and shapes. Larger bread makers don’t necessarily let you prepare bigger portions. Keep the measurements in mind when determining whether a bread maker will fit in your kitchen.
- Ease of Use. If you’re a novice baker, you want a bread maker with intuitive buttons and a large LCD display.
- Crust Control and Loaf Size Options. Trying out different crust control and loaf size options lets you experiment and discover those you like the most.
Why Should You Use a Bread Maker in Canada?
Numerous companies often try to sell us appliances we don’t use that often. Therefore, many Canadians are skeptical about purchasing a bread maker because they aren’t sure it would be a wise investment. Here are several benefits of breadmakers that Canadians should keep in mind:
- Full control over the ingredients. Unfortunately, bread from grocery stores usually isn’t the healthiest option. One of the biggest perks of using a bread maker is having complete control over what goes in your bread.
- Convenience. Some Canadians may wonder why they need a bread maker when they can make the bread by hand. While this is always an option, it’s a time-consuming and exhausting process. With a bread maker, you only need to add the preferred ingredients, select the program, and enjoy a perfect loaf of bread.
- Versatility. Many breadmakers offer options for making pasta dough, jam, cake, etc. They also let you prepare all kinds of bread, from whole-wheat and gluten-free to basic, French, and multi-grain. Plus, you can add nuts and fruits and enjoy unique, delicious bread.
- Easy maintenance. Bread makers are made of top-quality, non-slip materials with removable parts. These parts are usually dishwasher-safe, so you don’t have to worry about washing them by hand.
How to Choose a Bread Maker for Canadians
Canadians should consider these factors when purchasing a bread maker:
Number of Pre-Sets
One of the first things you should check on a bread maker is the number of pre-sets. These preset allow you to prepare different types of bread without difficulty. Some bread makers offer only the basic options, while others feature more than 10. Usually, the more expensive bread makers have more pre-sets, but this isn’t a universal rule. When purchasing a bread maker, consider what you will use it for. If you want to make basic or French bread, you can get a more basic model and probably save money.
Size is another important factor Canadians should consider when buying a bread maker. This especially goes for those who have limited space. Always pay attention to a product’s measurements to ensure it will fit in your kitchen.
The power of your bread maker, combined with the capacity, can determine how much bread you can make. Larger bread loaves need more power to cook thoroughly. Two machines with the same capacity but wildly different wattages will result in different loaves of bread. If your machine has a larger capacity, you’ll need more wattage. Smaller loaves may also require a larger wattage depending on how dense they are, so make sure to choose a bread maker that can handle your bread making goals.
While your first concern for the capacity of your bread maker should be the size of bread loaf you want to make, there are a few other things to keep in mind. You need to choose a bread maker that is consistent with the size of the bread you’d normally like to make. Unlike other kitchen appliances, a larger capacity is not always better. If you try to bake a larger loaf in a smaller bread maker, it may not be fully baked by the time the machine thinks it should be.
On the other hand, making a smaller loaf in a larger bread maker can lead to dry, unpleasant bread that doesn’t look or taste right. Because of how drastically the capacity of your bread maker can change your bread, don’t go with the larger size just because you think you may use it. Always make sure to choose the size that aligns with your normal breadmaking habits.
If you’ve ever used a bread maker, you know that the kneading paddle inside the machine can sometimes leave a hole in your finished loaf of bread. To avoid this hole and make your loaves more aesthetically pleasing, you should look for models that have multiple different types of kneading paddles. Some models even have you remove the kneading paddles before you begin the baking process.
If you are completely opposed to having any types of holes in your finished bread loaf, consider choosing a maker that has you remove the paddle before the baking process begins. Unfortunately, this means your bread maker will need a bit more oversight. Rather than setting it up to go and leaving it, you’ll need to remove the paddle manually halfway through the process. Consider whether that is compatible with your lifestyle before choosing a bread maker that requires that you remove the kneading paddle.
Some bread makers can be difficult to use, especially if you haven’t used a bread maker before. Instead of jumping into the deep end, make sure to choose a bread maker that features easy options that are simple to understand. No matter which breadmaker you choose, it should come with a user manual that explains how to use the bread maker and all of its useful features. However, this may be overwhelming for the complete beginner.
To choose a beginner-friendly bread maker, make sure to look for fewer options, intuitive controls, and makers that feature a recipe book or other beginner instructions.
Although it may seem irrelevant at first glance, the delay start option can be incredibly beneficial. Many bread makers let you postpone the beginning of the baking process for 8, 10, or 12 hours. Canadians can add the ingredients, choose a program, enable the delay start option, and go to work. A warm, fresh loaf of bread will wait for them when they return home.
Alarm for Add-Ins
You can make your homemade bread healthier and more unique by adding fruits or nuts. However, if you don’t have experience in the kitchen or haven’t used a bread maker before, you may have difficulty estimating when to add these ingredients. That’s why many breadmakers have an alarm that beeps to let them know it’s time to add the ingredients.
Settings for Specialty Items
Although called bread makers, they can often be used for more than baking bread. Many models let you prepare specialty items like cake, jam, pizza dough, or noodles. If you want to make more than basic bread, look for a bread maker with settings for specialty items.
Keep in mind that some bread makers may not include settings for dessert bread. If you’re looking to make sweeter bread, you may need to look for a breadmaker with an extended suite of options.
Many bread makers let you customize the baking process. For example, you can choose the size of the bread or the shade of the crust. Alternatively, you can knead the dough without baking and vice versa. You can also choose how long to rise, knead, and bake the dough. Simply put, customizable options give you full control over the baking process and let you create unique recipes.
All bread makers will have some level of customization, but it’s important to find one that has options you plan on using. At the very least, you should choose one with crush shade options and kneading capabilities.
Bread makers tend to be noisy, which can be annoying. Estimating whether a bread maker is noisy can be tricky because you usually don’t get to test it before making a purchase. A few tricks can help you determine whether a bread maker makes a lot of noise. First, check the materials used in the bread maker’s construction. If it has a lot of plastic, it will likely make more noise. The best bread makers in Canada are made of top-quality stainless steel and don’t have many plastic parts. Also, check whether the bread maker you’re interested in has non-slip feet. This valuable addition will keep the bread maker in place and reduce noise.
Frequently Asked Questions
Making homemade bread can be a very involved process, so a bread maker can be beneficial to Candians because it streamlines it and helps with it, even for beginners.
Most bread makers are easy to use, with many of them featuring intuitive displays and controls. Once you get more familiar with them, you can start customising your preferences.
Depending on the bread maker you get, most of them are easy to clean and to maintain once they are finished.