Down pillows can provide great comfort to Canadians looking to enhance their sleeping experience. Beyond offering a more luxurious feel, they can also help with giving your head and neck better support. There are many down pillows available, and you may struggle to pinpoint which would be best for you.
To assist with this, we have put together a curated selection of the best down pillows in Canada of 2023. We’ve taken into account features that are important to Canadians, and we submitted each to a series of evaluations to make sure we narrowed down the list to only the very best. Here’s what these down pillows have to offer you.
The Best Down Pillows for Canadians in 2023
- Best Overall – Silk & Snow Pillow
- Best Cooling – Hush Hybrid Pillow
- Best Down and Feather Pillow – Casper Down Pillow
- Best for Weight Choice – Canadian Down & Feather Company Hutterite Goose Down Pillow
- Best Soft – Canadian Down & Feather Company 625 Loft Pillow
- Best for Side Sleepers – QE Home Opula Firm White Down Pillow
- Best Down Alternative – Noa Home Down Alternative Pillow
- Best Adjustable – Endy Customizable Pillow
Why Did We Choose These Down Pillows in Canada?
How did these pillows stack up? Each of the down pillows that eventually made our list were put through he same rounds of testing. We evaluated the results, examined different performance features, and ensured that these options were the best out of the best. Here’s why we chose each of the best down pillows in Canada for 2023.
The Silk & Snow Pillow is the best down pillow overall. It’s completely adjustable and hypoallergenic, so it works for most Canadians. You can find your perfect comfort level without any trouble at all. The down alternative fill is so soft and airy, you won’t know the difference.
If you are constantly searching for the cool side of the pillow, consider the Hush Hybrid Pillow. This option uses a perforated bamboo cover to promote airflow, cooling you down considerably no matter how warm you sleep.
On the other hand, the best natural down and feather pillow on our list is the Casper Down Pillow. This unique five-chamber construction is adaptable and supportive. Meanwhile, each chamber contains a different soft core made of down and feathers. The results are extremely comfortable.
Available in soft, medium, and firm weights, the Canadian Down & Feather Company’s Hutterite Goose Down Pillow provides Canadians with a pillow to suit all sleep positions. The multiple available weights to choose from make it easy to select the pillow that works best for you.
The Canadian Down & Feather Company Sleeping Pillow offers excellent softness to Canadian sleepers. This option is made from clusters of down, creating a more luxuriously fluffy resting experience. The pillow includes innovative braided cord piping, and is a flatter option that is meant more for comfort than support.
The QE Home Opula Firm White Down Pillow is the best option on our list for side sleepers. The higher loft helps support side sleepers in a way that some pillows lack. A perfect blend of neck and spine alignment is the key to great sleep, and this pillow can help.
Looking for the best down alternative pillow in Canada? Look no further than the Noa Home Down Alternative Pillow. The soft microfibre fill gives this pillow a cloudlike feel. There are three firmness or density options, so everyone will find something to enjoy.
Finally, the Endy Customizable Pillow earns the title of the best adjustable pillow in Canada. The shredded memory foam core can be adjusted to any sleeping position or loft preference. Every Canadian can find the comfort level they prefer with this pillow.
The Silk & Snow Pillow
It's Great For:
The Silk & Snow Pillow is the best down pillow in Canada in 2023. Though it uses a down alternative, the fluffy microfibre fill feels very much like a natural down. It lends the pillow a plush feel on the surface, which can help sleepers in any position fall asleep more comfortably. The core of the pillow is made with adjustable shredded memory foam. You can add or remove shredded foam to increase or decrease loft, making this option great for all sleeping positions.
Some adjustable pillows use scrap foam recycled from defective products to create their pillows. While there might not be anything wrong with this type of foam, you’ll rest easier knowing that the Silk & Snow mattress uses the new CertiPUR-US certified memory foam. It’s one of the highest-quality fills you can find for an adjustable down pillow.
The down-like fibres won’t trigger your allergies because they don’t come from animals. They are air-blown to make them as fluffy as possible, lending a plush feel to the pillow overall. The cover is made with 100% cotton, and you can easily take it off to wash it with the rest of your bedding. If you use a pillowcase as well, you’ll never have to worry about your pillow being dirty.
All the materials used in this pillow are certified by OEKO-TEX or CertiPUR-US, so you know you’re getting the best. The foam filling is easy to add and remove, making it simple to keep your pillow fluffed up and perfectly comfortable for you. If you’re not sure whether this pillow will work for you, take advantage of the 100-night risk-free trial. For the first 100 nights, after you purchase the pillow, you can test it with a money-back guarantee if it isn’t right for you.
- Great for All Positions. Due to the adjustable core, this pillow is well-suited for all Canadian sleepers. You can easily adjust to the loft and fill level that is comfortable for you.
- Hypoallergenic Option. The pillow is filled with a down alternative that is both ethical and ideal for those suffering from allergies.
- Machine Washable Cover. For easy maintenance, the cover of the pillow can be placed in the washing machine for a quick refresh whenever needed.
- Adjustable Core. The shredded memory foam core of the pillow can be adjusted depending on your preferences. No matter how you sleep, this pillow can be comfortable.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Silk & Snow Pillow is a hypoallergenic down alternative option that offers a luxurious feel. It’s adjustable, so most Canadians will find a level that works for them.”
Best Cooling Pillow
Hush Hybrid Pillow
It's Great For:
The Hush Hybrid Pillow is extremely cooling, with breathable shredded memory foam, airy microfibre, and a perforated bamboo cover. This cover reduces heat build-up, so the coolest side of the pillow is always the one you’re using. This pillow is also fully adjustable, meaning it’s perfect for sleepers in any position. You can add or remove shredded memory foam to create the best feel for you.
The extra shredded foam fill that you take out of the pillow can be stored in the travel pillow, which is included with your purchase. This keeps the foam clean, but it also provides you with a smaller pillow to take with you on a plane or a long car ride.
The down alternative used in this pillow is a hypoallergenic shredded microfibre. It’s a plush, vegan alternative that won’t bother your allergies or your ethics. The fibres used here are OEKO-TEX certified and made with ethically sourced materials. They are also organic and don’t feature any harmful chemicals that might irritate your skin.
This pillow uses anti-wrinkle technology. You’ll never wake up with wrinkles pressed into your face from your pillow, which can be beneficial in the long run. Every part of the pillow is supportive but soft. It feels great to put your head on this pillow, no matter how you sleep.
The cover’s antibacterial bamboo composition keeps harmful chemicals away from your skin. It’s perforated to allow airflow up through the pillow, reducing heat and keeping you cool throughout the night. Finding the perfect loft is easy, too – simply unzip the cover and add or remove foam to find the option that is most comfortable for you.
- Anti-Wrinkle Technology. The Hush Hybrid pillow uses anti-wrinkle technology to make sure you don’t wake up with marks from the cover all over your face.
- Eco-Conscious. This pillow is made from eco-conscious and ethically-sourced materials, appealing to Canadians concerned about the environment.
- Hypoallergenic Softness. This option from Hush uses a down alternative that is great for those suffering from allergies, but without taking away any of the softness.
- Adjustable Loft. This pillow comes with an adjustable loft to suit a variety of positions and ensure you get the most comfort.
Our Expert’s Take
“This pillow is an eco-conscious option that includes innovative anti-wrinkle technology. It’s completely adjustable and hypoallergenic, too.”
Best Down and Feather Pillow
Casper Down Pillow
It's Great For:
The Casper Down Pillow uses a blend of down and feathers to create a soft, cloud-like pillow. The pillow is divided into five distinct chambers, which allows the pillow to adapt to your sleeping position. If you move around a lot during the night, these chambers can help shift the fill to meet your needs. This unique system means that the pillow works well for most sleeping positions. Because the pillow moves to accommodate your neck, you’ll find comfort no matter how you sleep.
Each of the chambers inside features a different down and feather composition. The outer chambers use 80% white duck down and 20% feathers. The inner chambers are made with 60% white duck down and 40% feathers. As a result, the outer chambers are plush and well-insulated, while the inner layers tend more toward structure and support.
The cotton cover is soft and smooth. Though you should put this pillow in a pillowcase, you’ll love the way it feels against your face. The construction and feel of the pillow allow you to be supported with luxurious comfort. These pillows are fluffy and responsive. You’ll fall asleep easier with the help of this ethically sourced down.
Though you shouldn’t wash your down pillows often, you can put these pillows in the washing machine at home. A few times a year, you should follow the care instructions for the pillow to ensure that you aren’t causing any damage to the pillow or its contents. The ability to wash the pillow at home is convenient and helps keep your bed fresh and comfortable throughout the seasons.
- Unique Design. This Casper pillow includes an innovative 5-chamber design that adds great support to all sleeping positions preferred by Canadians.
- 2 Sizes. This option includes 2 sizes that you can choose from to make sure you get the perfect pillow for your needs and preferences.
- Luxurious Feel. The Casper Down Pillow is made with premium materials, which provide a luxurious feel for this pillow. If you like a softer, more comfortable pillow, you’ll love this model.
- Ethically-Sourced. The down and feathers used for the Casper pillow are ethically-sourced, so you never have to worry about animal welfare while enjoying your pillow.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Casper Down provides a luxurious feeling with a unique design for extra support. There are two available size options and a breathable, unique feel.”
Best for Weight Choice
Canadian Down & Feather Company Hutterite Goose Down Pillow
It's Great For:
The Canadian Down & Feather Company’s Hutterite Goose Down Pillow is Canadian-made with Canadian fill. Using a world-renowned 700 loft goose down farmed by the Hutterites in Alberta, this pillow is made up of small, puffy clusters to ensure the pillow is soft and luxurious.
This pillow is also available in varying weights—soft, medium, and firm—to meet the needs of all sleep positions. While all Hutterite Goose Down Pillows are soft, the soft version is slightly flatter and ideal for stomach sleepers, while the medium is fluffier and best for front and back sleepers. The firm pillow is the fluffiest of the three and is also best suited to stomach and back sleepers.
Using a double needle stitch, this high-quality pillow is made with careful attention to detail. Sleepers will appreciate the cool, breathable, 100% cotton shell that not only delivers a comfortable sleep experience but also ensures the down can breathe. The shell has a thread count of 400, which keeps the down from escaping. The shell is completely hypoallergenic and antimicrobial.
The Hutterite Goose Down Pillow is available in standard, queen and king sizes and is guaranteed against manufacturing defects for 5 years. Between the vast selection in sizes and weights, the Hutterite Goose Down Pillow is a wonderful down pillow for Canadians in all sleeping positions.
- Hutterite White Goose Down. The comfortable, plush goose down used in this pillow is farmed by Hutterites in Alberta.
- 100% Cotton Shell. The soft, breathable cotton shell makes the pillow smooth and comfortable. It helps the down breathe, too.
- Multiple Sizes. This pillow is offered in three sizes, including Standard, Queen, and King. You can choose the option that suits your bed, so you’ll always have the right type of pillow.
- Quality Guarantee. This pillow comes with a 5-year guarantee against manufacturing defects. If something is wrong with the pillow, you can get it replaced easily.
Our Expert’s Take
“Using the highest-quality fill and available in soft, medium, and firm weights, the Canadian Down & Feather Company’s Hutterite Goose Down Pillow offers a soft sleep experience. The high-end materials and weight choice helps meet the needs of Canadians in all sleeping positions.”
Best Soft Pillow
Canadian Down & Feather Company 625 Loft Pillow
It's Great For:
The Canadian Down & Feather Company 625 Loft Pillow can provide a luxurious experience to Canadian sleepers. It features a cover made from 100% 500-thread count cotton for extra breathability, making it ideal for warmer Canadian seasons. Inside, the pillow is filled with duck down. This duck down has 625+ fill power, creating a comfortable pillow built for softness rather than for firm support. You can use this in combination with another pillow to get the most out of both of them.
This pillow is filled in Canada and features a single-chamber pillow with an innovative braided cord piping design finished with a double needle stitch for extra durability. The cotton on the cover provides a smooth feeling. Front sleepers can get the best out of this pillow, as the flatter build suits that position better.
To create the most luxurious softness, the pillow is filled with clusters of duck down. The cotton prevents the down from escaping, and gives the pillow its bright white appearance. With the comfortable fill on the inside, Canadians can benefit from the warm softness provided by the design of the pillow.
When it comes to maintenance, this down pillow from Canadian Down & Feather should only be dry cleaned when necessary. This will ensure its longevity and that it will remain in ideal condition for as long as possible. The malleable design of the pillow can be shaped to suit your sleeping needs.
- Extra Softness. The duck down fill used for this pillow is ultra-soft, adding comfort and coziness to the sleeping experience.
- Premium Cotton. The cover of the pillow is made from 100% cotton. This 500-thread cotton is soft, bright white, and designed to keep the fill from escaping.
- Great for Front Sleepers. This pillow is on the flatter side, and can be more suitable to front sleepers and those looking for comfort rather than support.
- Malleable Design. To make sure you get the best out of your pillow, take advantage of its malleable design to get it to fit according to your preferences.
Our Expert’s Take
“This ultra-soft duck down pillow is ideal for front sleepers. The shell is extremely comfortable, too. The 100% cotton shell is smooth and breathable.”
Best for Side Sleepers
QE Home Opula Firm White Down Pillow
It's Great For:
Side sleepers require a higher loft to properly cradle their neck and shoulders. QE Home’s Opula Firm White Down Pillow provides a high loft with medium-firm support to help side sleepers find the ideal comfort level. This pillow uses 100% white down certified by the Responsible Down Standard (RDS). This means that the geese that made the down were ethically treated and that only authentic materials were used in the construction of the pillow. This pillow also carries a Downmark certification, ensuring the highest quality.
The high-loft down in this pillow is wrapped in a 100% cotton shell, which is soft and breathable against your skin. The down creates additional airflow which may not be found in foam pillows, making it ideal for those who sleep hot. The down inside is soft enough to easily mould to your neck and shoulders, providing instant comfort as you lie down to sleep. Even as you sink into the pillow, the medium-firm support helps align your neck and keep you comfortable throughout the night.
This pillow comes in three different size options, including Standard, Queen, and King. You can choose the option that works best for the size of your bed, but make sure to choose pillowcases of the appropriate size.
When it comes to care, QE Home’s Opula Firm White Down Pillow is simple to keep fresh. You can machine wash this pillow on a gentle cycle right in your home washing machine, and tumble dry it on low heat to dry. Dry with towels to reduce the time and ensure that the pillow is dry all the way through. Though you shouldn’t wash this pillow often, ensuring that it is fresh and clean can help you sleep easier.
- Great for Side Sleepers. The high loft included with the pillow makes it an ideal choice for Canadians who prefer sleeping on their sides.
- Ethical Down. This genuine down is sourced following ethical and eco-conscious methods. You can rest easier when you sleep on these pillows.
- Breathable Materials. The cotton cover on the pillow is lightweight and extra breathable for additional comfort. It’s smooth and comfortable for your pillowcases.
- Sizing Options. While some pillows only come in one or two different sizes, QE Home’s Opua Firm Down Pillow comes in three separate sizes. You can choose the one that works best for you.
Our Expert’s Take
“This pillow is made from lightweight breathable materials that suit side sleepers. The white down fill is soft and comfortable, and the high loft makes it ideal for extra neck support.”
Best Down Alternative Pillow
Noa Home Down Alternative Pillow
It's Great For:
The Noa Home Down Alternative Pillow is the best down pillow in Canada that uses an alternative down instead of a natural animal down. In this case, the alternative is hypoallergenic microfibre fill. This fill is soft and plush, just like real down. However, it’s eco-conscious, ethical, and doesn’t trigger allergies. This plush pillow also comes in three different densities, which can affect loft and comfort depending on how you sleep.
The Soft density has a GSM of 675, which offers plushness, comfort, and a neutral loft. This option is great for stomach sleepers, as it works to keep you aligned without stretching your neck or bunching your shoulders. The medium option (750 GSM) is great for most sleepers. It’s fluffy and plush, but it doesn’t lack support.
The firmer density is around 810 GSM, making it ideal for those who sleep on their sides. This higher loft is extremely supportive and offers ideal alignment, especially for those who want to sleep in a more natural position. Each pillow uses a 100% cotton shell, which is smooth and silky. The sateen weave gives it a soft touch that is still breathable and comfortable.
Every material used in the Noa Home Down Alternative Pillow is certified by OEKO-TEX, so it’s free of harmful chemicals and made at the highest level of quality. You can rest easy knowing that this pillow is one of the best options on the Canadian market.
- 3 Density Options. Canadians can choose between 3 density options to ensure that they get the best fill to suit their needs.
- Options for All Positions. This Noa pillow features options that can suit all types of sleeping positions. You can choose your density and fill level to find the level that works well for you.
- Non-Toxic Materials. There were no harsh chemicals used in the manufacturing of this pillow, so those with sensitive skin or allergies can rest easier.
- Hypoallergenic Fill. The pillow uses a down alternative fill made from soft microfibre. It’s hypoallergenic, so those with allergies or sensitivities can stay a little comfortable.
Our Expert’s Take
“This hypoallergenic option includes something for every type of sleeping position. There are multiple density options, so there’s an option that works for you.”
Best Adjustable Pillow
Endy Customizable Pillow
It's Great For:
The Endy Customizable Pillow is the best adjustable pillow in Canada. The down-alternative fill cushions your head and your neck, while shredded memory foam helps you adjust the core for your perfect loft and firmness. You can easily unzip the cover to add or remove fill, changing how comfortable your pillow is based on your preferences. You’ll get exactly the support and loft that you need to sleep easier without ordering a dozen pillows to find the right one.
The down used in the first layer of comfort is a hypoallergenic microfibre. This fill is hypoallergenic, meaning it’s safe for those with allergies and those who often suffer from skin irritation. This layer creates a plush, breathable surface that is extremely comfortable to relax into.
When you take the shredded foam out of the pillow, where do you put it? Thankfully, the Endy Customizable Pillow comes with a smaller pillow to fill with the foam you remove. This doubles as a travel pillow. You won’t have to keep your neck at an odd angle on your next flight, as this small pillow easily fits into your carry-on luggage.
Because of the adjustable nature of this pillow, it’s recommended for all sleeping positions. Even if you don’t usually like the pillow loft or density that is recommended for your sleeping position, this pillow can be a game-changer. You can adjust to your preferences, taking the guesswork out of purchasing other pillows with multiple options.
- Adjustable Core. All sleeping positions can enjoy this pillow thanks to the adjustable shredded memory foam core. You can find the loft level that works best for you.
- Hypoallergenic Down Alternative. The fill used for this pillow is hypoallergenic, providing all Canadians with the luxurious feeling that emulates a traditional down option.
- Breathable Build. The cover on the pillow and the fill are made to be as breathable as possible so you don’t overheat during the night.
- Machine Washable Cover. When it’s time to freshen up the pillow, you can throw the cover in the washing machine. This allows you to easily refresh your pillow without washing the whole thing.
Our Expert’s Take
“The adjustable foam core helps you find the loft that works for you. That means that the Endy Customizable pillow is great for all sleeping positions.”
Comparing the Best Down Pillows in Canada
|Category||Pillow||Type of Down||Cover||Loft||Sizes|
|Best Overall||The Silk & Snow||Down Alternative Microfibre Fill||100% Cotton||Adjustable||Standard, King|
|Best Hybrid||Hush Hybrid||Shredded Microfibre||Perforated Bamboo||Adjustable||Standard|
|Best Down and Feather||Casper Down||White Duck Down and Feathers||100% Cotton||Medium||Standard, King|
|Best for Weight Choice||Canadian Down & Feather Company Hutterite Goose Down||Goose Down||100% Cotton||700||Standard, Queen, King|
|Best Soft||The Canadian Down & Feather Company 625 Loft||Duck Down||100% Cotton||625||Standard, Queen, King|
|Best for Side Sleepers||QE Home Opula Firm||White Down||100% Cotton||High||Standard, Queen, King|
|Best Down Alternative||Noa Home Down Alternative||Hypoallergenic Microfibre Fill||100% Cotton Sateen||Soft, Medium, or Firm||Standard|
|Best Adjustable||Endy Customizable||Crushed Microfibre Down Alternative||100% Cotton||Adjustable||Standard, King|
How We Tested These Down Pillows for Canadians
Years in the sleep industry have taught us all about getting a good night’s sleep, including the products that can help. We’ve looked at the way sleepers react to different products, paying special attention to how they sleep and which problems they face. This research allows us to recommend the best sleep products possible, especially when it comes to bedding, mattresses, and of course, the best down pillows in Canada.
Our selection process helps us reduce the number of down pillows we consider. Rigorous testing and feedback trials help us rule out the pillows that don’t quite cut it. Meanwhile, our team of at-home testers tell us which pillows they loved sleeping on. A combination of this data helps us determine which pillows to recommend. Along the way, we looked at factors such as these.
- Type of Down. There are multiple types of down and alternatives on the Canadian market. Finding the right type of down for you isn’t always easy, but we’re here to help.
- Cover. Since you’ll be interacting with the cover of the pillow, you should know how it feels and what it’s made of. We’ve included the cover materials separately to help you decide.
- Other Materials. What other materials are used in the pillow? Some down pillows have separate adjustable or support cores, so it’s important to know what’s going on inside your pillow.
- Loft. Loft and density can describe how comfortable a pillow will be depending on how you sleep. We’ve included the loft of each pillow to help you choose the option that will be most comfortable for you.
Are down pillows better than the less expensive options you can find at most retailers? In short, yes. Down pillows offer some unique benefits that make them worth the extra investment.
First, down pillows last longer. Because they aren’t made with synthetic materials, they may last for up to 10 years if properly cared for if you purchase a high-quality down pillow. Synthetic options might not last as long, and you may need to replace them more often.
Down is also breathable. However, it is also naturally insulating. If you sleep very hot, you may want to purchase a down pillow with a lower density. Lower densities have more room for air to flow, allowing for great breathability. High-density pillows tend to sleep warmer.
Finally, down often contours to your body. This means that a down pillow can adapt to how you sleep. If you purchase a pillow with the right loft and density for you, it can easily lead to better sleep with a more customized support system.
Though down pillows can be more expensive, they are worth it. The benefits can change the way you sleep and help you wake up ready to take on the day.
How to Choose a Down Pillow for Canadians
Choosing to switch to a down pillow can be difficult. Thankfully, we’re here to help. Once you’ve decided that you want a down pillow, the following features and options can help you choose the one that works best for you.
Type of Down
There are two main types of down, as well as a few alternative materials that you might find used in place of down.
- Duck down is the less expensive type of natural down. There is more duck down available, so most mid-range and less expensive pillows use duck down. This type of down has smaller, fluffier clusters, so it’s more breathable than goose down.
- Goose down, on the other hand, is extremely insulating. Goose down uses larger clusters, making it warmer and fluffier. It’s also more expensive than duck down.
- Down alternatives like microfibre and other types of fill mimic the properties of natural down. However, you don’t have to question ethics or sourcing for this type of down. They are often air-blown and made to feel exactly like the real thing but at a fraction of the cost.
Keep in mind that down pillows and other products usually do not contain 100% down. Most use a combination of down and feathers. Some companies will disclose how much of each they use, while some will not. Some companies also advertise 100% down products, which are expected to be more expensive than blended options.
The cover (or shell) of your pillow is the part you’ll be interacting with. Because of this, it’s important that the cover is soft, comfortable, and feels great on your skin. You should use a pillowcase or pillow protector with every down pillow, but the cover can help contribute to the overall feel of the pillow. Plus, the cover can sometimes be removed for cleaning.
Most down pillow covers (or shells) are made of soft 100% cotton, which is breathable and smooth. These covers can help keep you cool, wash easily (if they are washable), and will not lose their shape over time.
Even pillows with nice covers need to be protected, which is why we recommend using a pillowcase with your down pillow. Pillowcases can help your pillow last longer, reduce wear and tear, and help keep your sleeping space fresh. Pillowcases are easily removable and washable with the rest of your sheets, while some down pillows may not use washable covers.
While there is no specific type of pillowcase that works best with down pillows, we recommend using silk pillowcases. If you want an upgrade from the pillowcases that came with your sheet set, silk pillowcases offer a ton of great benefits.
Though you may think the fill and the cover are all that make a pillow, there are some exceptions. Hybrid pillows and adjustable pillows, for example, use down and cotton in combination with a shredded memory foam core. This core allows you to remove and replace fill at will, completely changing the feel of the pillow.
It’s important to keep an eye on the other materials included in your down pillow. This can tell you about the pillow’s quality, but it can also give you a heads-up about other features or allergens that you might encounter.
Loft and Density
Each pillow has a defined loft, or height. This loft can tell you if it will be comfortable for your sleeping position. This is determined based on the support each loft offers, though you can, of course, choose a different loft than your sleeping position dictates.
As it stands, most low-loft pillows are meant for stomach sleepers. Medium-loft pillows are perfect for back sleepers, while high-loft pillows are ideal for side sleepers.
Density is also a factor. These two figures are often mentioned together to help you visualize how the pillow will feel and perform. Density is sometimes measured in firmness (soft, medium, or firm), but companies will occasionally use a number to describe how dense the pillow is.
That number is the GSM, or grams per square meter. This tells you the weight of the pillow by determining how much fill sits inside one square meter of the pillow. The higher the GSM, the higher and firmer the pillow is. High GSM is around 900 or more, while low GSM starts at around 300.
Since down is gathered from animals, it’s important to maintain ethical standards across all parts of the down industry. Certifications can tell you that down is gathered sustainably, that it comes from high-quality farms, or that it’s safe for human use. Here are just a few of the certifications you’ll come across while shopping for a down pillow.
- OEKO-TEX. OEKO-TEX is a third-party textile company that rates cotton, wool, and a host of other textile materials. An OEKO-TEX certification ensures quality as well as safety. These certifications tell you that no harmful chemicals were used in the product.
- Downmark. Downmark helps ensure down and feather quality. This company tracks ethical practices and the quality of products each company produces. A certification from them means that the down is of the highest quality.
- Responsible Down Standard (RDS). The Responsible Down Standard works alongside the down and feather industries to help promote ethical treatment and gathering practices. This third-party authority rewards the company for treating its ducks and geese well and following strict animal welfare protocols. A certification from the RDS tells you that a company is ethical and sustainable.
Each down pillow may not have all of these certifications, but you should look for options with a range of valid certifications. Most certifying third-party companies allow you to search their database of certified companies. If you are unsure about the validity of a certification, you may be able to check the third party website.
If you purchase a pillow at a retail store, you’ll be able to touch it before you make your purchase. You can test it out for a few moments to make sure that it feels okay for you. This opportunity can help guide you when purchasing the right pillow. However, purchasing online doesn’t allow you this same test period.
Thankfully, most sleep companies have developed a workaround for this problem. Instead of being able to feel the pillow before you buy it, you’ll be able to try it out for a few months after your purchase. During this time, you can return the pillow for a full refund with no questions asked. It’s risk-free and allows you to get a better idea of whether the pillow will work for you.
Pillow trials range from around 30 nights to 100 nights, and some companies have different terms. Make sure to check the terms offered by the sleep company to determine if you want to try the pillow for yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions
Down pillows can provide an opulent experience thanks to the structure and quality of the fill inside the pillow. Down pillows are soft and comfortable, and can offer better support than other pillow fill materials. Most of the time, down pillows are extremely luxurious for Canadian sleepers.
Down pillows can be ethically sourced in Canada, which would ensure that specific methods are being adhered to. If you are concerned about ethical down, you should choose pillows that use certifications such as the Responsible Down Standard. You can research each company to determine if their down is ethically sourced and made without animal products.
Most down fill alternatives available in Canada are made from microfibre polyester and other lightweight but luxurious materials. There are plenty of options to choose from if you need to choose a down alternative. These options are just as luxurious and comfortable as natural down, but they can be better for users who suffer with allergies.
Down pillows can last a long time. They are breathable and naturally insulating at the same time, so you should choose a lower-density pillow if you often wake up hot. It contours to your body, adapting to how you sleep. Down pillows are can be more comfortable than down alternative and other fill types, but they can also be more expensive.
Down and feather pillows should be washed at least once a year. These pillows can attract dust and bacteria, as well as the natural by-products of using the pillows. When it’s time to wash your pillows, make sure you follow the care instructions from the pillow manufacturer to avoid damage.
When a down pillow is new, it will be firmer than you may expect. Down pillows need a period to ‘break in’, after which they will become softer and more comfortable. Using the pillow will help break it in.