If you dream of cooking up delicious meals just like the professional chef from the comfort of your own kitchen, you’ll need high-quality tools. A non-stick frying pan can help you cook a variety of delicious meals, just like celebrity chefs. You won’t have to clean a burnt mess off the skillet afterwards thanks to the non-stick coating.
We’re here to help you choose a non-stick frying pan in Canada in 2023 that works best for you. Our picks were evaluated by our team of experts and hours of research. We then categorized our choices based on what might be best for you. We considered the materials, size, weight, and safety features of each non-stick frying pan on our list.
Best Non-Stick Frying Pans for Canadians in 2023
- Best Overall: Starfrit The Rock Fry Pan
- Best Professional: Tramontina Professional Restaurant Fry Pan
- Best for Large Capacities: T-Fal Frying Pan Set
- Best for Induction: CAROTE Pots and Pans Non-Stick Set
- Best Everyday: Gotham Steel Non-Stick Frying Pan
- Best Technology: Jamie Oliver by T-Fal Non-Stick Frying Pans Set
Why Did We Choose These Non-Stick Frying Pans in Canada?
We chose this list of non-stick frying pans based on the qualities that most Canadians expect and appreciate. Each was chosen for a reason, and we’ve listed those below for you.
For the non-stick frying pan in Canada overall, we chose the Starfrit the Rock Fry Pan. This pan features an ultra-durable finish, which is extra thick and resists all type of abrasions. It’s compatible with most stovetops and ovens.
The Tramontina Professional Restaurant Fry Pan is perfect for those professional chefs and home chefs looking to take their cooking to the next level. It’s compatible with all cooktops and oven safe, so you can use it for literally anything.
We love the T-Fal Frying Pan Set for its 2-litre capacity and convenient pour spouts, which makes it great for sauces and larger meals. The multiple size and pan options completes a set of great cookware you’ll use fo years to come.
The CAROTE Pots and Pans Non-Stick Set is a premium set that includes 2 high-quality frying pans. This option is ideal for induction stoves, and it is made from eco-conscious materials like white granite. The set is easy to clean with a rinse and a paper towel, making it a convenience choice.
The Gotham Steel Non-Stick Frying Pan is a long-lasting option that is designed for everyday use. Built with durability in mind, the frying pan has a ceramic coating infused with diamonds, allowing it to withstand even metal utensils. The handle is made from stainless steel that remains cool to the touch during use.
The Jamie Oliver by T-Fal Non-Stick Frying Pans Set includes 3 frying pans. Compatible with both electric and gas stovetops, this practical set features exciting technology. The frying pans have 3-layer bases for enhanced durability, and they include the Thermo-spot so that you’ll always know when they are ready to be used.
Starfrit The Rock Frying Pan
A high-quality non-stick frying pan can be a significant investment, so it makes sense that Canadians would want to purchase cookware that will last for a long time and still perform to the same quality as the first time. That’s what you get from the Rock Frying Pan by Starfrit.
The Rock is manufactured using an exclusive RockTec manufacturing process that forms an extremely durable finish. Just like the name implies, you can feel the little peaks and valleys on the surface, similar to what you would feel on the surface of a rock. According to the manufacturer, this process gives the Rock frying pan a finish that is 50% harder and 40% more resistant to abrasion than a traditional non-stick pan.
This frying pan has an aluminum base that is 3mm thick, making it extra durable and sure to stand the test of time, and preventing it from warping with repeated use. It’s compatible with gas, electric, ceramic, and halogen stovetops and safe for oven use up to 175 degrees Celsius.
This frying pan is dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning and care. And it comes with riveted Bakelite handles, so you won’t end up grabbing a hot handle while you’re cooking your morning meal.
- Highly Durable. This Starfrit option uses an exclusive RockTec finish that makes it more durable.
- Easy Care. The pan is dishwasher-safe, making cleaning both quick and convenient, as well as ensuring easy maintenance.
- Bakelite Handles. The convenient Bakelite handles remain cool to the touch while cooking and provide enhanced grip.
- Extra-Thick Base. The extra-thick build of the base is designed for longer life and stability.
Our Expert’s Take
“A durable option that is easy to maintain and to use.”
Tramontina Professional Restaurant Fry Pan
For Professional chefs or just serious home chefs in Canada, we chose the Tramontina Professional Restaurant Frying Pan from Tramontina’s Pro Series. It starts because this frying pan is NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) certified, meaning it is designed and manufactured to hold up to the same requirements of professional-grade cookware. Tramontina took great care to ensure this frying pan met the expectations of professional chefs, and that’s why we chose it as the best in this category.
This frying pan has a 25.4 cm diameter, so it’s large enough for hearty meals and sauces. It’s constructed from heavy gauge, commercial-grade aluminum and features a satin exterior finish, so it works great and looks great too. It’s dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning and oven safe up to 204 degrees Celsius.
The Tramontina Professional Restaurant Frying pan is safe for use on all stovetop types, and safe and healthy for Canadian families because it is non-toxic and PFOA free. The stainless-steel handle is secured by three solid rivets for additional support and features a removable silicone grip.
- Heavy-Duty Materials. The frying pan is made from heavy-duty commercial-grade materials to assist with durability.
- Good Compatibility. This frying pan can be used on all stovetops and even in the oven.
- Easy Maintenance. The frying pan is dishwasher-safe and overall easy to clean with a rinse and a wipe.
- Additional Support. The handle of the pan is made from stainless steel with 3 rivets and a removable silicone grip.
Our Expert’s Take
“A frying pan designed to suit professional chefs and home cooks alike.”
Best for Large Capacities
T-Fal Frying Pan Set, 24cm and 30cm
If you’re looking for a non-stick frying pan set that meets all your needs in the kitchen, this T-Fal set is for you. It comes with not one, but two high-quality non-stick frying pans. The smaller frying pan is 24cm in diameter, making it perfect for eggs, omelets, or smaller meals. The larger frying pan is 30cm, making it a great choice when you need to feed many people at once.
These frying pans have a large capacity. The larger of the two holds up to two litres with ease. They feature an easy pour spout to eliminate spills and splashes when pouring. Home chefs will love the measurement markings on the inside of the pan, which make it super simple to follow any recipe without dirtying a measuring cup and helps eliminate mistakes.
These frying pans are dishwasher safe and easy to clean because they have a non-stick interior and exterior. This means no more scrubbing the outside of the pan either. They are safe for use on all stovetop styles except for induction heat, and they are oven safe up to 175 degrees Celsius. The handles are crafted from riveted Bakelite, so they are easy to grip and won’t melt or heat up and remain cool to the touch.
- 2 Sizes. The set comes with 2 frying pans, one with a 24 cm diameter and the other with a 30 cm diameter. They can suit all your cooking needs.
- Oven Safe. The pans can be used with most stovetops, as well as in the oven in temperatures up to 175ºC.
- Thermo-Spot Convenience. The pans have Thermo-spot technology, which allows you to see exactly the right time to start cooking.
- Bakelite Handles. These handles are designed to remain cool to the touch during use, and they are also easy to grip.
Our Expert’s Take
“This set of frying pans features 2 convenient sizes enhanced by useful technology.”
Best for Induction
CAROTE Pots and Pans Non-Stick Set
The CAROTE Pots and Pans Non-Stick Set includes 2 non-stick frying pans, one with a 24 cm diameter and the other with a 28 cm diameter. The set also includes a saucepan with lid, a steamer, a casserole pot, a sauté pan, and a turner made from white silicone. Each piece is made from eco-conscious granite with an aluminium base. The granite is designed to provide up to 10x better non-stick performance.
This set from CAROTE is easy to maintain thanks to the non-stick coating and the granite. You only need to rinse it when you are done cooking, and then wipe it with a paper towel. This makes it both more convenient and better for the environment, as it reduces water waste. While the CAROTE set is a great choice for Canadian kitchens using induction stovetops, it can be used with all stoves thanks to the stainless steel base at the bottom of each piece.
When you are ready to cook, these frying pans from CAROTE heat up quickly and provide even heat distribution across the surface, streamlining the cooking process. By using the frying pans in this set, you can easily achieve the desired cooking results without additional hassle.
- Durable Materials. The frying pans in this set are made from heavy-duty granite reinforced with aluminium bases.
- Versatility. The frying pans in this set have 2 different sizes, allowing you to customise your cooking experience.
- Great for Induction. While the pans can be used with all types of stovetops, they are great to use with induction ones.
- Quick Heating. The pans heat up quickly when you are ready to start cooking, and they have even heat distribution too.
Our Expert’s Take
“A stylish set made from durable eco-conscious materials offering great versatility for induction stovetops.”
Gotham Steel Non-Stick Frying Pan
The Gotham Steel Non-Stick Frying Pan is a functional and lightweight choice for Canadian cooks. This option provides an in-depth non-stick coating experience. It is made from ceramic coated 3 times with a mineral non-stick coating that allows you to cook without needing oil or butter. This can help you achieve healthier meals with minimum fuss. The frying pan can be used with most stovetops, including gas, electric, halogen, and ceramic. It can also be placed in the oven, as long as the temperature remains under 260ºC.
This option from Gotham Steel is 100% PFOA free for an even healthier cooking experience. Clean-up is easily achieved through a quick wipe and then a run in the dishwasher on a gentle program. The non-stick coating is reinforced with particles akin to diamond, making it highly resistant even when metal utensils are used.
Thanks to the premium design of the frying pan, even heat distribution is achieved across the surface. This is a durable option that is designed to keep you company in the kitchen for a long time. It is big enough to suit a wide range of meals for several people looking to enjoy premium cooking done in a healthier way.
- In-Depth Coating. The frying pan is coated 3 times with a non-stick coating to make sure it delivers a premium experience that requires no oil or fat to achieve good results.
- Easy Clean-Up. The frying pan is dishwasher-safe and can be easily cleaned with a wipe and a dishwasher run.
- Premium Design. The high-quality design of the frying pan ensures even heat distribution while you cook.
- Highly Resistant. The coating on the frying pan makes it highly resistant against scratching even when metal utensils are used.
Our Expert’s Take
“This frying pan has an impressive non-stick coating that makes it resistant and durable.”
Jamie Oliver by T-Fal Non-Stick Frying Pans Set
The Jamie Oliver by T-Fal Non-Stick Frying Pans Set includes 3 pieces: one has a 20 cm diameter, one has a 24 cm diameter, and one has a 28 cm diameter. This adds versatility to Canadian kitchens. Each of the frying pans is made with a premium high-quality design to last. The heavy-duty pans are made from 3 layers: the stainless steel base, the aluminium core, and the magnetic stainless steel outer layer.
The pro non-stick coating makes it easy to use each pan for healthy cooking that uses little oil and doesn’t burn. Cleaning is easy each time, with a quick rinse and a paper towel wipe recommended to get the best results. Each frying pan includes Thermo-spot technology which will show you exactly when the pan gets to the desired heat so you can start cooking hassle-free.
The frying pans can be used with all stovetops, even induction. For enhanced safety, each of the handles is made from riveted stainless steel that remains cool to the touch and provides additional grip while cooking. Using these pans while cooking can get you the best results without having to worry about temperatures or maintenance. Designed by a professional chef, these pans can suit all levels of cooking expertise while delivering premium quality.
- Versatile Sizes. The 3 frying pans included in this set come in 3 different sizes, adding versatility and convenience to Canadian households.
- Heavy-Duty Build. The frying pans are made from 3 layers designed for durability and to assist with high-quality healthy cooking.
- Hassle-Free Cooking. The Thermo-spot on each frying pan will let you know exactly when you can start cooking.
- Safe Handles. The handles on the frying pans are made from riveted stainless steel with additional grip.
Our Expert’s Take
“This versatile set includes 3 frying pans with heavy-duty build and enhanced safety features.”
Why Trust Us?
Our goal is to help Canadians make the best choices for their lives and their homes, and that’s what we set out to do every time. Whether it’s housewares, appliances, electronics, or more – if Canadians use it, we evaluate it to find the best options for your home.
We research and analyze each product with hours of in-depth evaluations. Based on that information and our own knowledge of what Canadians hold the most important, we create a list of the very best products in each category. For our list of the best non-stick frypans in Canada, we looked for a combination of the following features:
- Material. The type of material used to manufacture non-stick frying pans is important. We looked for frying pans that were made from sturdy aluminum and included a few that have unique materials used in construction for the very best non-stick performance.
- Functionality. We want to make sure Canadians know what they’re getting from a non-stick frying pan, so we looked for options that are compatible with the widest range of cooktops and even in the oven.
- Durability. Nobody wants to spend money on a product that needs replacing after only a few months. For our list, we chose non-stick frying pans that were built to last and would perform the same way next year as they do today.
- Features. We looked for a variety of features while putting together this list of the best non-stick frying pans in Canada, including sturdy construction, easy cleaning, comfortable grip handles, and extra-large capacity.
How Do Non-Stick Frying Pans Work in Canada?
Non-stick frying pans are typically used because they are easier and healthier to cook with than traditional pots and pans. They are usually manufactured from metals like aluminum or stainless steel, metals that are lightweight and heat up quickly. They typically have a coating on the interior of Teflon or some other material (like ceramic) that prevents food from sticking to the surface of the pan.
The process used to create the non-stick coating is called polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) coating. It involves forming a molecular bond between the surface of the pan and a resin-based plastic. Then, powdered silicone is added to the surface. This PTFE coating is heat-resistant, non-stick, and protects the pan from food burning or sticking to the surface of the pan. As technology has advanced, manufacturers have developed new techniques for creating a non-stick surface.
Are Non-Stick Skillets Safe to Use?
In the past, non-stick skillets were thought to be unsafe to use once the non-stick coating started to deteriorate, crack, or peel. This is because the Teflon coating contained chemicals and compounds known as perfluorooctanoic acids, or PFOAs, as well as polytetrafluoroethylene, or PTFE. Those chemicals could be released during heating (or during high-temperature cleaning in a dishwasher) and cause potential harm to people who encountered them.
However, as technology has advanced, manufacturers have figured out how to remove these harmful chemicals from the process altogether. That’s why you will notice that many non-stick pans are now advertised as PFOA and PTFE-free. Manufacturers have also learned that using certain metals, such as lead or cadmium, could be harmful to people as well, and they have stopped using these types of metals in non-stick pans.
How to Choose a Non-Stick Skillet for Canadians
At first glance, you may think it’s simple to shop for a non-stick skillet. However, there are some features you should look for when examining the best non-stick frying pans in Canada. The following factors can help you choose the perfect skillet for your kitchen.
What your non-stick frying pan is made of can be just as important as the non-stick coating itself. The material used can determine the type of cooktop you can use the skillet on, as well as how evenly it heats.
- Aluminum. Aluminum heats quickly but can be uneven. They are lightweight but can’t be used on induction burners.
- Stainless Steel. Stainless steel skillets are heavier and more expensive than aluminum options. These pans provide even heat across the surface.
- Titanium. Titanium is a lightweight material that heats quickly and evenly. It’s stronger than aluminum and lighter than steel but isn’t as strong as some of the other options on the Canadian market.
While most non-stick frying pans can be used on many stove top types, it’s important to check if your skillet is rated for induction cooktops. If you have an induction stove, you should use a skillet that is compatible with that heating method for the best results. Other types of stove tops can use different pans, but make sure to know what type of stove you plan to use your pan on before you begin shopping.
It’s important to have skillets of all sizes and descriptions in your kitchen, particularly if you like to cook a lot. Larger skillets can be great options for feeding larger families or performing large-scale meal prep. If you just want to fry an egg or warm up leftovers, a smaller frying pan can be the way to go.
Consider the size of the skillet before you make a purchase. If you already have non-stick skillets in that size, it might be best to choose a different size to ensure diversity in your cookware.
Some recipes and food preparation require quick baking sessions inside your oven. If you want to avoid using multiple dishes to move food from your oven to the stovetop, consider choosing a frying pan that is safe for use in your oven. Keep in mind that not every option will be safe in the high temperatures inside your oven. While using on the stovetop requires heating throughout the pan section of your skillet, the oven will heat the handle and other components to the same temperature.
Never put a skillet that is not rated for use in the oven to bake foods. This can lead to damage to the skillet, toxins in your food, and more mess than you’d prefer to clean up. If you plan to use your skillet in the oven, make sure that you purchase one for that specific use.
Cleaning up after you cook can be a tedious chore, but choosing kitchenware that is dishwasher-safe can help. If you have a dishwasher at home, you might want to choose a non-stick skillet that is safe for the high temperatures inside your dishwasher. While food isn’t prone to sticking to your non-stick skillet, it still gets dirty with use. If you don’t want to clean your non-stick skillet by hand after every meal, a dishwasher-safe option is your best bet.
The handle of your non-stick frying pan can be one of the most important parts of the skillet. The handle should be covered with rubber or another heat-resistant material. This helps protect your hand while you’re cooking. Avoid any type of frying pan (non-stick or otherwise) that uses a plain metal handle. It can quickly become hot and unsafe as you cook.
The handle materials are also extremely important if you plan to use your skillet in the oven. While every skillet that is rated for oven use should have an oven-safe handle, you should double-check the handle material to make sure it will be safe in your oven.
Is it Easy to Clean a Non-Stick Skillet in Canada?
Non-stick skillets are popular among kitchens around the world for several reasons. Firstly, you cannot overlook the benefit of the easy clean-up job required after using a nonstick frying pan. When you cook with a traditional skillet, you will probably wind up with bits of food that are burnt onto the cooking surface and cooled, solidified grease and oil.
Without the non-stick coating, you’re left with only two choices – soak the skillet in warm, soapy water for hours or scrub the burnt food off with a sponge or scouring pad. Sometimes you might even need to do both. This can be time-consuming and is often very hard on the joints, potentially causing pain and injury. It’s also hard on the pan itself and can cause your traditional cookware to wear out quickly, which means replacing it altogether.
With a non-stick frying pan, all it usually takes to clean up after cooking is the quick wipe of a paper towel or soft cloth. Give the frying pan a rinse and you’re good to go. Many non-stick frying pans can even go straight into the dishwasher so there’s no muss or fuss when it’s time to clean up. Many Canadians appreciate how easy it is to clean a non-stick frying pan. After all, who enjoys endlessly scrubbing pots and pans?
How to Care for a Non-Stick Frying Pan in Canada
If you take good care of your non-stick frying pan, it will last a long time. However, certain actions will speed up the deterioration of the non-stick coating and could put your frying pan at risk. Some manufacturers may offer recommendations and instructions for the care of your frying pan, and you should follow those recommendations for the best results for your specific frying pan. Below are some basic tips for protecting and caring for a typical non-stick pan.
- Rub a thin coating of cooking oil over the surface of the frying pan before using it for the first time. This can help protect the cooking surface and extend its life.
- Add a bit of cooking oil to the pan and lightly coat the surface before preheating. Do not preheat an empty pan, because the metals used to manufacture non-stick pans are designed to heat up very quickly. Preheating an empty pan could damage the pan or the non-stick coating.
- Avoid using non-stick cooking sprays, and instead, opt for natural cooking oils like vegetable or olive oil.
- Do not subject your non-stick frying pan to excessive heat, but only cook at low or medium heat. Most non-stick frying pans can withstand heat up to around 175 degrees Celsius but check the manufacturer’s recommendations to be sure about your specific cookware.
- Always check the instructions regarding whether or not your non-stick frying pan is oven safe before attempting to use it in the oven. Certain pans cannot withstand the heat of an oven or may have handles that are not designed for use in an oven.
- Do not use metal utensils, such as spatulas or spoons, with your non-stick frying pan. These types of utensils can scratch or damage the non-stick surface. Instead, use wooden, plastic, nylon, or silicone-coated utensils to protect the surface of the frying pan.
- Clean your non-stick frying pan with a soft rag or non-scratch sponge. Use a small amount of dish detergent and warm water when cleaning. You can create a paste of baking soda and water for stuck or burnt food particles.
- Always check if your frying pan is dishwasher safe or not. Most newer pans can withstand the heat of a dishwasher, while others cannot. Either way, handwashing is safer for your frying pan.
- Avoid stacking other cookware items on top of your non-stick skillet during storage. If you do need to stack your pots and pans in the cupboard, use a layer of paper towels or a rag between the non-stick frying pan and other pots and pans to avoid scratches or chips.
What Types of Foods Can Canadians Cook in a Non-Stick Frying Pan?
Non-stick frying pans are great for cooking a variety of foods, most notoriously egg dishes. This is because eggs are a delicate dish that easily sticks or burns when you cook them in traditional cookware. However, when you cook them on a non-stick surface, eggs won’t burn and will slide right out of the pan onto your plate when it’s time to eat.
While we’re making breakfast, don’t forget about the pancakes. Non-stick surfaces are perfect for making pancakes or crepes. Just be sure to avoid the metal spatula.
If you’re cooking anything that includes cheese as an ingredient, a non-stick frying pan is a great choice. Cheese easily burns and sticks to traditional cookware but will easily slide around inside a non-stick frying pan.
Meats that don’t require high-temperature cooking are suitable for a non-stick frying pan. Chicken and seafood are typical choices. These delicate meats might stick to a traditional frying pan but will cook perfectly in a non-stick pan.
Mexican-style foods, like tortillas, are also great to cook in a non-stick frying pan and will turn out crispy and delicious without burning or sticking to the surface of the pan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Canadians can use a non-stick frying pan to achieve healthier meals and to enjoy hassle-free cleaning after that.
Depending on the build, many frying pans have long-lasting designs made from premium materials.
While following basic cooking safety rules, non-stick frying pans are safe to use, and usually provide better safety features than some standard options.