A space heater can be the perfect thing for those colder Canadian winters, particularly if your regular heating system isn’t cutting it. However, choosing a space heater requires a lot of research. There are a lot of things to look out for, and it can quickly become overwhelming. You want to make sure you choose the perfect option for the room or rooms you’re trying to heat, and that can be a daunting task.
Fortunately, we’ve found some of the best space heaters in Canada. We’ve evaluated them in our test lab and sent them to our team of testers. The following list represents the options that might be suited to you. In deciding the products featured on our list, we looked at heating capacity, type of heat, and safety features to help you make the best choice.
Best Space Heaters for Canadians
- Best Overall: DeLonghi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater
- Best for Small Spaces: GiveBest Portable Electric Space Heater
- Best Portable: Brightown Ceramic Space Heater
- Best Controls: Senville Tower Ceramic Heater
- Best Tower Heater: Lasko 751320 Ceramic Tower Heater
- Best Personal: Amazon Basics 500-Watt Ceramic Space Heater
Why Did We Choose These Space Heaters in Canada?
Each of the space heaters on our list is here for a reason. Each of our recommendations stood out to us in its own special ways, so here’s why we chose the best space heaters in Canada.
The DeLonghi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater is the best option overall. Gentle radiant heat and an impressive heating capacity create a comfortable experience that won’t irritate allergies.
GiveBest’s Portable Electric Space Heater is the best option that we found for small spaces. It’s extremely portable but offers quick, efficient heating for up to 200 square feet. It’s perfect for bathrooms and small offices.
If you’re looking for a space heater that you can easily move around, the Brightown Ceramic Space Heater might be the perfect option for you. This heater is extremely small and lightweight, perfect if you’re moving from one room to another.
Senville’s Tower Ceramic Heater has the best controls of all the space heaters on our list. This option easily converts from a tower heater to a bar heater, and both can be controlled with the included remote. It’s clearly labeled and simple to operate.
The Lasko 751320 Ceramic Tower Heater is the best tower heater on our list. It’s also the best for larger spaces, as it can heat areas up to 500 square feet in size. It’s well-suited for most rooms.
Finally, the Amazon Basics 500-Watt Ceramic Space Heater is the best personal heater on our list. This option is perfect for warming your fingers as you type or keeping your bathroom warm during those long Canadian winter nights.
DeLonghi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater
If you’re looking for a quiet, radiant option that helps keep your smaller rooms toasty and warm, the DeLonghi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater might be the perfect option for your home. With a heating capacity of 250 square feet, you’ll be able to keep most of the rooms in your home warm. If you want to save money, consider bringing this radiator heater with you from room to room. Heating only the room you are in can help reduce heating costs overall.
This heater features a sealed oil reservoir that never has to be changed or refilled. The oil inside heats time after time, ensuring that you can do as little maintenance as possible. This heater is extremely durable. There are very few parts that can fail, so it will last you a long time.
Because of the way that this space heater works, it’s silent. It doesn’t produce any sound as it works because it doesn’t blow air. This means it’s the least likely to disturb you or the members of your household. Safety features include a thermal shut-off and an antifreeze setting. This setting heats the unit just enough to prevent the pipes from freezing in your home.
The thermostat features three heating options so you can choose the level of comfort you prefer. This heater also has smooth wheels, which make it easy to move the heater from one room to the next.
The DeLonghi Oil-Filled Radiator Space heater offers an adjustable thermostat with three different heat settings. You can choose the perfect heat setting for your space. The low surface temperature still provides strong, safe radiant heat. This space heater rolls easily on smooth wheels, so you can move it from room to room easily. It silently provides enough radiant heat for rooms up to 250 square feet.
- Adjustable thermostat with three heat settings to help you find the perfect heat setting
- Radiant heat with low surface temperature is safe and warm
- Rolls easily on wheels, so you can move it from room to room with you
- Silently provides heat for rooms up to 250 square feet
From the Test Lab
“This simple, easy space heater was great for smaller spaces. The comfortable, natural radiant heat was preferable for some of our testers.”
Best for Small Spaces
GiveBest Portable Electric Space Heater
GiveBest’s Portable Electric Space Heater is one of the best options we found for smaller spaces. Several features set this option apart, including fast heat, multiple safety features, and a thermostat setting that keeps the air at a comfortable level no matter where you use it. There are two different heating options, including a low heat and a high heat level. This also comes with a preset temperature, which the machine closely monitors to prevent overheating woes.
This heater is made with completely flame-retardant materials to reduce fire hazards. It stops immediately when it detects overheating, and features tip-over protection to ensure it shuts down when moved. And you might be moving it a lot! The small footprint and lightweight design make this the perfect space heater for those in your family that always feel cold. They can move it from room to room with them and stay comfortable.
This heater also features a fan mode, which you can use in warmer weather. It’s great for most seasons of the year because of this functionality. The six-foot cord also helps you move it around easily, even within the same room. You won’t have to move it from plug to plug if you’re moving to a different chair.
The GiveBest Portable Electric Space Heater features multiple safety features to prevent fires and other hazards. The compact, lightweight design is easy to move around. You can move it right where you need it. It’s perfect for smaller spaces, particularly those up to 200 square feet. The thermostat control heats to your desired level and keeps the air at that level while the heater is on.
- Multiple safety features prevent fires and other hazards
- Compact design is easy to move around, so you have it where you need it
- Heats up to 200 square feet quickly
- Thermostat control keeps the temperature at your desired level
From the Test Lab
“This portable heater was the best option for smaller rooms. It provided consistent, comfortable heat and was easy to move from room to room.”
Brightown Ceramic Space Heater
The Brightown Ceramic Space Heater is a simple model that is easy to move throughout your home. The recessed carrying handle and extremely lightweight design mean you’ll be taking this heater with you to the kitchen, living room, and bedroom as you move throughout the house. It offers three modes, including a low heat and a high heat option. There’s also a fan that can cool you off if it gets a little too warm in the spring.
This unit has a variety of safety features, including tip-over protection and automatic overheat shutoff. If the unit is tipped or becomes too hot, it will immediately stop functioning. All power will be cut, leaving the unit to cool down and reduce the risk of fires and other hazards.
However, this heater works quickly and quietly. At a rating of lower than 45 dB, you won’t wake the rest of your household if you use it while they sleep. It heats immediately, too. You won’t have to worry about waiting for the coils to warm up. You’ll immediately feel more comfortable when you switch this space heater on.
Brightown’s Ceramic Space Heater offers quick, quiet operation. It warms quickly, so you won’t be uncomfortable for long. The adjustable thermostat has temperature ranges up to 158°F (or 70°C). There are three settings: low heat, high heat, and fan to provide cooler air. There’s a recessed handle that makes it easy to carry the heater around wherever you need to go.
- Fast, quiet operation
- Adjustable temperature ranges up to 158°F (70°C)
- Low heat, high heat, or a fan for cooler air
- The recessed handle makes it easy to carry the heater wherever you need it
From the Test Lab
“This space heater is the best portable option on our list. It’s extremely lightweight and works quickly to ensure you stay warm.”
Senville Tower Ceramic Heater
The Senville Tower Ceramic Heater has the best controls of all the machines we found. They are clearly labeled and easy to follow, with an included remote to make it easier to operate the heater from across the room. You’ll be able to change the temperature based on your comfort without moving to the control panel on top of the unit.
It can also be used vertically or horizontally. This means that while you can use it as a tower heater, you can also turn it on its side (when it’s not in use) and use it as a bar heater. The change in orientation changes how it distributes air, but it still provides equal distribution to the space its in.
This space heater features a 24-hour timer, Eco-mode, and LED display as well. It’s easy to change your settings when you can see them! It’s an extremely versatile heater that is rated to heat up to 500 square feet. That’s plenty of power for your largest rooms, including your living room and master bedroom.
With the simple controls and the versatility of using this heater however you want, it might be the best option for your home. The even distribution of heat can be perfect for smaller rooms, too!
The Senville Tower Ceramic Heater can be used vertically or horizontally, which allows you to use it as a tower or a heater bar. There’s an eco-mode as well as three other modes, so you can choose the one that works best for you. The heater evenly distributes the air throughout your space due to internal distribution functions, so it will be warm throughout. The 24-hour timer automatically shuts off when the timer elapses, making it safe to use overnight or for longer periods.
- Can be used vertically or horizontally
- Eco-mode is available, as well as three other modes
- Evenly distributes air due to the warm air distribution functions
- The 24-hour timer automatically shuts off when the timer elapses
From the Test Lab
“The versatility of this space heater made it a favourite among our testers. They liked being able to use a heater bar as well as a tower.”
Best Tower Heater
Lasko 751320 Ceramic Tower Heater
Need a slightly more powerful space heater? Look no further than the Lasko 751320 Ceramic Tower Heater. This model offers powerful settings that make the most of its size and wattage. There are two heat settings, including low heat and high heat. Together, they can keep spaces up to 500 square feet warm and comfortable.
The thermostat is completely programmable, and the 7-hour timer is handy for those who need heat at night but don’t want to worry about the space heater. You can change every setting from the multi-function remote, which is responsive and easy to figure out.
This heater comes fully assembled and includes an oscillation function. This heater can sweep your space with heat, helping it distribute a little more evenly. If you want to move to another room, simply use the recessed carry handle. The unit itself is less than 6 pounds, so you’ll have no trouble lifting it to move it.
This heater comes with overheating protection, as well as a safer ceramic element than some models. The exterior doesn’t heat when the heater is running, so you don’t have to worry about someone touching it.
The built-in carry handle on the Lasko 751320 Ceramic Tower Heater makes it extremely portable and easy to move around. It oscillates, making it easy to heat your entire room without moving the heater. The 6-foot-long cord makes it easy to reposition it wherever you need it, regardless of how far away the plug is. Other features like the 7-hour timer, multi-function remote, and two heat settings put this heater above the rest.
- The built-in carry handle makes this tower heater extremely portable
- Oscillating design can sweep your entire space with heat
- The 6-foot-long cord makes it simple to move around
- 7-hour timer, multi-function remote, and two heat settings
From the Test Lab
“The wealth of features on this space heater makes it one of the best on our list. The oscillating features were especially great for our testers.”
Amazon Basics 500-Watt Ceramic Space Heater
If you often find that your fingers are cold as you type, the Amazon Basics 500-watt Ceramic Space Heater might be the perfect selection for you. This tiny heater comes in four different colour selections, so you can immediately personalize your space.
This heater is suitable for spaces up to 100 square feet. However, it can also be used for immediate, quick heating in a localized area. If you need a heater that will keep your immediate area warm (and leave others alone), this is the perfect option for you.
While this space heater may be small, it features overheating and tip-over protection. The sensor on the bottom of the machine stops power if the unit is moved or tipped over. Keep it in front of your keyboard to quickly keep your fingers warm while you’re working or set it up on your bathroom counter. Either way, the smallest spaces will be warmer because of this space heater.
The Amazon Basics 500-Watt Ceramic Space Heater offers four colour options, which allows you to immediately personalize your space heater. It offers quick, efficient heat that begins immediately when you turn the machine on. A tip-over sensor cuts the power if it tips over, making it great for those who worry about safety. The personal size works great for warming your fingers as you type, or keeping a smaller bathroom warm.
- Four colour options for personalization
- Fast, efficient heat
- Tip-over protection cuts the power if the machine tips over
- Personal size works great to warm the top of your desk or a chilly bathroom
From the Test Lab
“This personal space heater is best for immediate heat in smaller spaces. Our testers loved it for desks, tables, and countertops.”
Why Trust Us?
For years, we’ve kept up with household trends and lifestyle products to help keep up with your busy life. We’ve looked at mattresses, exercise equipment, and even kitchen appliances. The products we recommend are the very best.
We find our recommendations based on our own test lab evaluations. Once we’ve thoroughly tested each product, we send it on to our team of dedicated testers for further feedback. With the sum of both of those experiences, we know that we’re sending you recommendations for products you’ll love. When evaluating products for our list of the best space heaters in Canada, we looked for the following performance features.
- Type of Heat. The way that the space heater produces heat is one of the most important things to consider. Different types of heat can change your experience with a space heater. We tried to include as many types of heat as possible so you have a lot of options.
- Size. The size, weight, and dimensions of the space heater are important, too. Space heaters are made to be portable, so you want one that you can easily move around when you want to change rooms. Most of our options are easy to move around.
- Safety Features. We’ve found space heaters with the most important safety features to ensure that your new space heaters don’t present any hazards to your home.
- Heating Capacity. We kept a close eye on heating capacity so you wouldn’t have to worry about it. We’ve given you a quick look at how much each heater can keep warm, so you can check immediately.
Why Use a Space Heater in Canada?
A space heater can be used for multiple different reasons. Your main heating system may need repair or be expensive to operate. You may want to keep only the room you’re in warm, while the rest of the house is just warm enough that the pipes don’t freeze. Whether you’re attempting to save money or stay warm in the Canadian winter, a space heater could be the perfect solution.
A space heater can offer localized heat for just one room or space. A personal space heater may provide enough heat to keep one person warm, which can be handy if someone in your home gets cold easier than everyone else.
Larger heaters can be used for spaces like the bedroom or living room. Some may be large enough for multiple connecting rooms. The effectiveness of a heater depends on the heating type, heating elements, and wattage. Each heater may function slightly differently.
How to Choose a Space Heater for Canadians
Unlike standard heaters, space heaters require a bit of research. This guide will tell you everything you need to know about purchasing a space heater that will work in your space. The following features, options, and tips can give you a solid starting point as you start to shop for the best space heaters in Canada.
Type of Heat
There are a few different types of heaters that you might encounter. The type of heat can determine how the heater works, as well as how quickly it works. Here is a quick list of the different types of heat you can choose.
- Radiant Heaters. Radiant heaters use infrared rays to heat everything directly in front of them. They don’t use air like the other types of heaters, so they work best for those who have allergies. Radiant heaters are also better for those immediately around and in front of the heater.
- Ceramic Heaters. Ceramic heaters use ceramic plates, which warm rapidly. These heaters mostly use blowers to distribute the heat throughout the room. Most space heaters use ceramic heat to warm rooms of varying sizes.
- Oil-Filled Heaters. Oil-filled heaters often look like radiators. They use electricity to heat oil in sealed containers. The oil never needs to be replaced. They are great for heating spaces quickly. They won’t dry out the air. Oil-filled heaters are radiant heaters as well – though the heating method is different, they radiate heat rather than blowing it.
Most type of heat will work well for most types of spaces. However, there are some considerations about the type of output you’ll get, the effectiveness of each type of heat, and more. Consider all options before you decide on the best space heater in Canada for you.
Size and Dimensions
The size of your space heater can make a big difference in how it works. The size, dimensions, and weight of the heater can also tell you how portable it will be. If you plan on moving your space heater throughout your home often, choosing one that is smaller and lighter can be beneficial.
Choose a heater that fits the size of the room you’re trying to heat. A personal space heater, for instance, isn’t going to work for a bedroom or other larger room. Most heaters should tell you all about their heating capacity, which we will talk about in a moment.
Multiple different metrics determine the heating capacity of your space heater. Heating capacity is usually determined by a combination of wattage and BTUs, which are sometimes linked. The BTU, or British Thermal Unit, is a measure of how much heat is required to raise the temperature of water by one degree. How does this figure into heating your air?
A space heater with a higher BTU rating will produce more heat. Therefore, a unit with more BTUs will have a higher heating capacity.
Most space heaters will tell you the size of the room they can adequately heat. This is down to the method of heating as well, so two heaters with the same wattage may have a different heating capacities. This is measured in square feet, usually. Most medium-sized space heaters can heat rooms up to 500 square feet, so they are suitable for most living rooms or bedrooms.
There are two reasons to track wattage when it comes to space heaters. First, wattage can tell you how much heat the unit can produce. Space heaters with a higher wattage will produce more heat than lower-wattage models.
However, the wattage will also tell you how much power the space heater will use. A higher-wattage model will use more power, and therefore cost more to run. Space heaters with a higher wattage will produce more heat but cost more to run. Before you make a purchase, consider the additional costs of running the space heater.
Safety is important, especially when dealing with space heaters. Most modern space heaters have multiple safety features to reduce hazards and ease your mind. Here are a few of the most common safety features you’ll find in modern space heaters.
- Automatic Shutoff and Overheat Protection. These features essentially fulfill the same purpose. The thermostat sensor will immediately shut the unit off if it overheats. If it begins to get too hot, the machine will automatically cut all power to avoid fires.
- Tip-Over Protection. Heaters with tip-over protection have a sensor located inside the heater, sometimes located on the underside. This sensor immediately cuts power to the unit when it detects that it has tipped over. When the sensor is tripped, it will stop heating. This means that if your ceramic space heater falls over, it will stop heating and cool down rapidly to avoid fires.
- Thermostat Monitoring. Some heaters monitor the temperature closely with a thermostat. If this is the case, you can expect the heater to maintain the temperature you set. If the temperature increases past this point, it will shut the heater down until the temperature drops again.
- Fire-Retardant Materials. The casing on a space heater can get quite hot if it’s not made with the right type of materials. You should choose a space heater that is made with materials that won’t catch fire after long periods of use. Most will state if they are made with fire-resistant or flame-retardant materials.
Thermostat Features and Heat Settings
Space heaters handle thermostat features and different heat settings in different ways. Some space heaters have temperature dials or a digital temperature display. If you want your room at a very specific temperature, you should always choose a space heater with clear temperature settings.
On the other hand, some have a few different number settings on a dial. The higher the number, the hotter it gets. This can be handy if you want to control the temperature based on what you find comfortable.
The most basic thermostats have one or two options. Each option has a different wattage and different heating capabilities. Some of these options have a ‘low’ option and a ‘high’ option, which don’t come with a temperature rating. Adjust these based on your comfort level.
The controls on your space heater should be simple to understand and easy to use. You should be able to quickly tell what each button does, either with clear pictures or labels. Some space heaters use a digital screen to display your settings. This can help a lot, particularly when setting a timer or the thermostat.
If you want to be able to change the settings from anywhere, you should choose a space heater with a remote. A remote can simplify the process, allowing you to change the settings without having to get close to the heater. If you are sitting across the room, you’ll be grateful that you don’t have to get up every time you feel a bit chilly.
Overall, you should choose a space heater that you feel comfortable operating. Most are simple, but it’s worth it to take a look at the control panel and options available for each model.
Some space heaters come with a timer. You can set the timer for several hours (up to 24 hours most of the time). At the end of this time, the space heater will automatically shut off. While most heaters can be left on all the time, most Canadians want to prioritize safety. Setting the heater to turn off at a certain time can ease your mind.
If you want the heater to turn off after a certain amount of time, choose an option with a timer. You won’t have to remember to turn the space heater off, meaning you’ll be more comfortable leaving it while you sleep or do other things.
Space heaters can be noisy. Just like air conditioners or fans, they usually deliver heat by blowing air through the room. Radiant heaters, of course, are silent because they don’t blow air. If noise is a concern, a radiant heater might be the better option for you.
Keep the noise level in mind. You don’t want your space heater to be so loud that it bothers you as you sit in the same room. Some heaters will specify how loud they are using a decibel rating. This will tell you how loud they are in decibels. Look for a heater that is quieter than about 45 decibels. You’ll still be able to hear your TV over the heater at this level. A heater that is louder than 45 decibels might disturb other members of your household, especially if they are sleeping.
How to Safely Use a Space Heater in Canada
Space heaters are usually safe, especially when they have multiple safety features. Modern space heaters shouldn’t cause any issues, but there are a few steps you can take to minimize the risk of using a space heater.
- Always ensure that your space heater is on a level surface. The surface must be hard, and it’s usually best to place them on the floor. Make sure the surface isn’t fabric or wooden, as these surfaces can easily catch fire.
- Keep your space heater out of the range of your children and pets. Usually, the casing of a space heater can get hot enough to burn or singe the hair, so keep it away from those you care about.
- Turn the heater off when you leave the house or move to another room for a long period. Some Canadians don’t like to use a space heater while they sleep. However, you may not have a choice if a space heater is your only heat source. Make sure to exercise caution when using your space heater at night.
- Don’t use a heater near flammable substances, such as paint or gas. You should also keep the heater well away from curtains, bed linens, and other furniture. Anything that can catch fire should be kept well away from all sides of the heater.
- Don’t use your heater with an extension cord or surge protector, as it can overheat. Plug the heater directly into the wall. Unplug the heater when you aren’t using it.
Many heaters come with safety measures to prevent fires and other hazards. However, observing these steps whenever possible can reduce the risk associated with using a space heater.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do space heaters use a lot of electricity in Canada?
Yes, space heaters use a lot of electricity. Even energy-efficient ceramic heaters use more electricity than you might think. If you choose to use a space heater, you can expect a small bump in your power bill. However, space heaters use less electricity than central heating.
Can I leave my space heater on overnight?
If your space heater has certain safety features (such as auto shut-off, tip-over protection, adjustable thermostat, and overheat protection) you can leave it on all night. Most space heaters don’t need to be supervised, even for longer periods.
Do space heaters dry out the air?
Space heaters can introduce a lot of hot, dry air to your home. You should use a space heater at the same time as a humidifier for the best results. This can help balance out your air and prevent health issues associated with the air being too dry.