Toasters can make life easier for Canadians, especially in the morning. Many people find a toaster an indispensable appliance, and enjoy many benefits from having access to one. If you would like to find the best toaster option for you, it may seem daunting to face the wealth of choices available on the market.
To help with the challenge, we’ve made it easier on you. We’ve gone through extensive research and evaluation to compile the ultimate list of the best toasters in Canada for 2023. We used the features most interesting to Canadians when putting together on the list, and this is what we have uncovered.
Best Toasters for Canadians in 2023
- Best Overall: Black+Decker 2-Slice Toaster
- Best Shading: Chefman 2-Slice Digital Toaster
- Best Convenience: Black+Decker 4-Slice Toaster
- Best Digital Display: Cusimax 4-Slice Toaster
- Best Design: Frigidaire Retro Style 2-Slice Toaster
- Best for Bagels: Cuisinart Classic 4-Slice Toaster
- Best for Easy Use: Hamilton Beach 4 Slice Toaster
Why Did We Choose These Toasters in Canada?
We chose each of the best toasters in Canada based on the features that stood out to us. As we looked over each of the toasters in our pool of options, it became clear that these toasters were unique. Here’s a quick look at how each of these toasters might benefit you.
Our choice for the best toaster in Canada for 2023 is the Black+Decker 2-Slice Toaster. This option is compact but features high lift and slots large enough for bagels or thicker breads. A simple, space-saving design elevates this toaster to the top spot.
The Chefman 2-Slice Digital Toaster includes 7 shades of browning, allowing Canadian toast lovers to fully customize their experience. With convenient ultra-wide slots, this toaster also adds anti-jam functionality to make sure breakfast can be enjoyed in peace. There is a removable crumb tray that makes cleaning a breeze.
The Black+Decker 4-Slice Toaster brings plenty of convenience to Canadian households. It has extra-wide slots that can fit thicker slices of bread or bagels, and it includes a high-lift lever for extra practicality. This option is easy to clean and easy to store, freeing up time to simply enjoy breakfast.
If you’re the type of person who wants everything displayed in the clearest way possible, consider the CUSIMAX 4 Slice Toaster. It’s the only toaster on the list that includes an LED display to help you see exactly what’s happening with your toast!
If you need to bring a little style to your kitchen, look no further than the Frigidaire Retro Style 2-Slice Toaster. This option is sleek and stylish but doesn’t skimp on features. You’ll find a frozen setting, extra-wide slots, and convenience features that are more modern than you might think.
The Cuisinart Classic 4-Slice Toaster is the best option on our list for bagels and thicker bread. The extra-wide slots on this toaster allow you to toast anything you need. When paired with the defrosting and reheating options, you’ll get the perfect toast every time.
The Hamilton Beach 4-Slice Toaster is simple and easy to use, making it one of the best options for Canadians who want a simple toaster that still gets the job done. This programmable toaster features the same convenient controls you know and love, too.
Black+Decker 2-Slice Toaster
Are you looking for a compact toaster that does exactly what it’s meant to do? The Black+Decker 2-Slice Toaster is an excellent option for Canadians like you. This toaster is small and lightweight. This makes it easy to store away or move around the kitchen. It will not take up much counter space, but it still comes with plenty of features for easy toasting.
This toaster has extra wide toasting slots. This ensures that thicker slices of bread, bagels, and frozen items can cook properly. It also has an extra lift function, so all food is held safely and securely. This minimizes the risk of burning or smoking. The extra lift function also lifts the food at a safe level outside the toasting slot once finished cooking. This makes your food easy to grab and helps protect fingers from burning on the toasting slot.
It has a “shade selector” knob with levels from 1-7, which allows you to choose your toasting level. Simply turn the knob to indicate the level of toasting you want, from light and barely toasted to dark and very thoroughly cooked. Try out the bagel button for a perfectly toasted bagel every time. Hit the button for frozen items so you don’t have to worry about your breakfast coming out soggy or burnt.
- Easy Maintenance. This Black+Decker option is easy to clean thanks to the drop-down crumb tray.
- Shade Selection. This toaster lets you select from 7 different shades, depending on your preferences.
- Straightforward Use. The toaster is easy to use and features intuitive settings that help you achieve the desired results with no hassle.
- Extra-Wide. The slots are extra-wide, which encourages the use of various types of breads and bagels.
Our Expert’s Take
“This toaster is practical and easy to use. The extra-wide slots and drop-down crumb tray enhance the convenience of the appliance.”
Chefman 2-Slice Digital Toaster
The Chefman 2-Slice Digital Toaster brings easy customized toasting to Canadian households. This option offers an adjustable countdown timer that can easily be tracked via the clear digital display on the toaster. All you have to do is select your preferred setting from defrost, reheat, bagel, or browning, and then wait for the countdown to finish. You can then enjoy your toasted treat.
To enhance the experience further, this toaster includes 7 custom browning shades to ensure you get your preferred toasting results with ease. You can set your desired shade by using the intuitive dial under the function buttons. The extra-wide slots provided with the toaster make quick work of thicker slices of bread and bagels too. There is a lift assist function to assist with ease of use, and the anti-jam features brings additional convenience to the process.
The versatile toaster can be a very helpful assistant throughout the day. You can use it to make toast for breakfast, or to defrost bread before dinner. The stainless steel finish makes it easy to clean and to maintain with a quick wipe. There is also a removable crumb tray that can be emptied after use to ensure the toaster remains in great shape for longer.
- Adjustable Countdown Timer. This innovative feature ensures that you will get the desired toasting results with minimal fuss. Keep an eye on the timer, and enjoy your toast.
- Versatile Use. The toaster can be used for various functions throughout the day without being limited to helping only with breakfast.
- Custom Browning. There are 7 shades to choose from when using this toaster, so you can enjoy your specific toast preferences at any time.
- Anti-Jam Function. This toaster is straightforward to use, especially thanks to the anti-jam function that ensures the proper running of the appliance.
Our Expert’s Take
“This versatile toaster features a countdown timer and a browning range that will put most other options to shame. It fits well into modern kitchens, too.”
Black+Decker 4-Slice Toaster
The Black+Decker 4-Slice Toaster is a convenient choice that can be an ideal fit in any Canadian kitchen. This option comes with extra-wide slots that are great for thicker bread or bagels. There is a high lift level that makes access more practical, and increases safety. The toaster has a drop-down crumb tray that is easy to clean whenever necessary. To save counter space, this Black+Decker option features integrated cord wrap.
For an even better toasting experience, Canadians can enjoy the self-adjusting guides on the toaster, adapting them to whatever is being toasted. There is also a toast shade selector with 2 knobs, one for each side of the toaster, so that several people can enjoy their preferred shade at the same time.
There is a bagel function that creates the desired results, and you can also use the frozen function to heat up frozen treats. These functions will automatically set the toaster settings, but you can cancel the process at any time by pressing the cancel button. The stylish stainless steel accents on the toaster increase the visual appeal of the appliance and can complement any Canadian kitchen.
This compact option takes up less space than other toasters, so it can be a great solution for smaller kitchens.
- Wide Slots. The extra-wide slots on the toaster increase the versatility of the appliance by allowing the use of thicker slices of bread as well as bagels.
- Self-Adjusting Guides. The toaster can easily adapt to various types of slices, which provides better results depending on what is being toasted.
- High Lift. The high lift level provides a more convenient and safer interaction with the toaster.
- Compact Size. The toaster takes up little counter space, and is even more practical thanks to the integrated cord storage.
Our Expert’s Take
“This compact toaster can toast up to 4 slices at the same time. The extra-wide slots are perfect for bagels and thicker slices of toast, too.”
Best Digital Display
Cusimax 4 Slice Toaster
It doesn’t get any fancier than the CUSIMAX 4 Slice Toaster. This toaster is perfect for Canadians who just appreciate easy-to-read displays, those who have a hard time seeing smaller print, or even those who simply love top-of-the-line appliances.
This toaster has four extra-wide and extra-long slots to accommodate all kinds of bread, bagels, and frozen food items. It uses dual-sided controls so you can control either side of the toaster independently, including the browning settings.
The feature that sets this toaster apart, however, is the double LED display screen. It lets you see a countdown timer so you know exactly how long until your toast is perfect. It also lets you see which setting was selected for the browning shade, and special function buttons. Each side of the toaster has its own, independent display screen, so there’s no guessing about what’s going on with your breakfast!
The expanded design allows you to make more toast at once, even for the pickiest eaters in your family. Removable crumb trays make it easy to clean, and six browning shades give you more control over how your toast looks and tastes. The individual controls and multiple settings place this toaster in a class all its own.
- Dual Screens. This toaster has 2 LED screens so you can use and monitor different settings on each side.
- Stylish Design. The sleek design of the toaster adds visual appeal to any Canadian counter space.
- Extra Lift. To avoid burns, you can use the extra lift to make sure you get your toast without touching the hot parts of the toaster.
- Countdown Timer. This convenient feature can be easily tracked on the dual screens so you can get your toast once it’s ready without hassle.
Our Expert’s Take
“A state-of-the-art toaster with dual screens that give access to dual settings.”
Frigidaire Retro Style 2-Slice Toaster
Most toasters follow a very simple, modern design pattern that can make your kitchen a bit boring. Thankfully, there are options like the Frigidaire Retro Style 2-Slice Toaster available. This option comes in three different colours (black, red, and white) and is shaped like a toaster you may have found in a kitchen in the 1950s. As a result, you’ll get the sleek, stylish look you crave for your kitchen without losing any of the features you’ve come to expect.
This toaster features two extra-wide slots that can accommodate cut bagels, English muffins, and thick bread. If you usually freeze your bread, you can use the handy defrost feature to get your toast sooner. This setting adds between 8 to 12 percent of cooking time for your breads that have been refrigerated or stored in the freezer for later use. This toaster also has a reheat option, which allows you to refresh your cold toast without burning it.
There are five browning levels, including options for lighter toast or darker options. The deviation between each preset is only about 10 seconds, giving you ample time to figure out what your perfect browning level is. If you want to toast a bagel but only want the cut side toasted, you’ll be happy with the ‘cut side only’ option, which allows you to make bagels or English muffins to perfection with only one toasty side.
The crumb tray and lightweight design make this toaster easy to use and clean. The crumb tray slides out without a hitch, allowing you to empty it without spilling crumbs all over your kitchen. The sleek sides of the toaster are easy to wipe down, maintaining the beautiful retro finish for years to come.
- Extra-Wide Slots. The two slots on this retro toaster allow you to toast bagel halves, English muffins, and other thicker bread options without getting them stuck in the blades.
- 5 Browning Levels. There are five intuitive browning levels available on the simple control panel, allowing easy access to the perfect level of toastiness for you.
- Frozen Settings. If you need to defrost your bread before toasting, this toaster can do it for you. The frozen setting readily defrosts any frozen bread so you don’t have to wait before having your morning toast.
- Just the Cut Side. This ‘just the cut side’ setting is perfect for toasting just the side of the bagel that you want toasted, rather than having to toast the entire bagel.
Our Expert’s Take
“The retro design of the Frigidaire Retro Style 2-Slice Toaster doesn’t take away from its functionality. This simple toaster comes with some great features, including extra-wide slots, a frozen setting, and more.”
Best for Bagels
Cuisinart Classic 4-Slice Toaster
Our choice for the best toaster for Canadians in 2023 is the Cuisinart Classic 4-Slice Toaster in brushed stainless steel. There’s just so much to love about this toaster that it’s hard to know where to start.
First, this toaster can handle four slices at a time and has extra-wide slots suitable for toasting a variety of different types of bread and bagels. There are six custom browning settings that you can choose from, as well as specialty function buttons for reheating, defrosting, and bagels. The LED indicator lights let you know which function is in use, and the cancel button cancels operation without your toast flying across the room!
The four slice-function allows you to make large batches of toast quickly. It has dual control panels, which means you can toast the two different sides to different degrees. It means you can make toast for multiple people who like their toast in different ways.
The dual panels operate independently, so customers can toast at two different levels at the same time.
Another great feature of the Cuisinart Classic 4-slice toaster is that it’s BPA-free. Many Canadian consumers are conscious of what they bring into their kitchens. What you use to cook your food can be just as important as the food you eat! More and more Canadians are looking for kitchen appliances that are BPA-free. The Cuisinart Classic 4-Slice Toaster is the best toaster for customers that are in search of a BPA-free toaster. Not to mention that the brushed stainless steel is sleek and classy while maintaining a modern look in your kitchen.
- BPA-Free. This option is great for Canadians looking to avoid certain chemicals used in appliances, like BPA. The Cuisinart Classic is fully BPA-free, which can be an enticing benefit.
- Extra-Wide Slots. The extra-wide slots allow Canadians to go beyond toasting bread. Bagels can also be used in the toaster, which includes defrosting and reheating options.
- 6 Toasting Levels. The toaster comes with 6 browning levels, allowing you to customize your shade based on your toasting preferences.
- Dual Panels. The toaster can be used to provide 2 different browning levels at once thanks to the convenient dual panels.
Our Expert’s Take
“This is a great all-around toaster with numerous features to make your morning easier. It’s extremely convenient and consistent with its toasting levels.”
Best For Easy Use
Hamilton Beach 4 Slice Toaster
The Hamilton Beach 4 Slice Toaster is perfect for the customer looking for a simple, easy-to-use toaster. It has two knobs that allow for seven levels of toasting. It features four extra-wide toasting slots, ensuring any food placed into it is cooked fully. Plus, it has dual-sided controls, so you can toast items for two different people at the same time. You’re guaranteed to make everyone in the family happy by allowing greater control over your toasting options and eliminating wait time.
What makes this toaster unique is the added safety features. It has an auto-shutoff feature, for the peace of mind of its users. The toaster will automatically turn off when the allotted toasting cycle is finished. This ensures that the toast can burn or be at risk of catching fire, even if the toast jams. It also has a “toast boost” feature, which lifts anything cooking higher in the toasting slot. This helps to prevent any fingers from being burnt while trying to retrieve the toast.
It is easy to maintain and clean. It has two slide-out crumb trays that allow customers to remove any crumbs or messes quickly and efficiently after use. This toaster is simple and easy to use, making it one of the best options for your standard Canadian kitchen. If you want a toaster that does its job right the first time, this toaster might be perfect for you.
- Automatic Shut-Off. This function ensures peace of mind when using the toaster, as it will automatically turn off once the toasting is done.
- Dual-Sided Controls. Toast on each side can be browned with different settings to suit different preferences.
- Toast Boost Function. To prevent accidental burns, the toast will be boosted when the browning process completes.
- Slide-Out Crumb Trays. There are 2 slide-out crumb trays included with the toaster to make sure that both sides are easy to clean.
Our Expert’s Take
“An option with great safety features and convenient dual-sided controls.”
Why Trust Us?
We work hard to bring you the very best in Canadian household products and goods. We’ve evaluated everything from kitchen appliances to mattresses and everything in between. Our team researches dozens of products. We only recommend the very best products to our readers!
We start by assigning a team of experts to evaluate each product. Based on this research, we choose the list of our favourite recommendations and send them to you. For our list of the best toasters in Canada, we looked for the following features:
- Number of Slices. Canadians love to toast their breakfasts. Whether it’s traditional-style toast, bagels, thick-cut artisan pieces of bread, or frozen treats, a toaster can come in handy. Depending on the number of people in your family, or how many people you’re dining with, you may need to toast more than one or two slices at a time. Otherwise, half the family will be eating while the other half waits impatiently. We looked for a toaster that had a variety of slot numbers to suit single Canadians who are dining alone and large families who need to feed several hungry mouths at once.
- Style. For many people, kitchen appliances do more than serve a specific function. They have to look fabulous in the kitchen as well. We looked for a variety of toasters that not only perform well but look good doing it. And we selected a variety of design options, from classic and retro, to trendy and modern, to suit nearly any aesthetic preference.
- Extra-Wide Slots. Since many people have turned to their toasters for bagels, thick bread, crumpets, and more, we looked for toasters that are designed with extra-wide slots. That way, you can toast thicker items perfectly.
- Special Features. While a basic toaster is fine, sometimes you want additional features to make your life a little easier. We looked at all the features each of the toasters on our list offered, including dual-sided controls, cooldown timers, and more.
Why Use a High-End Toaster in Canada?
With all of the luxurious toaster options on our list, you might be wondering why you should purchase a higher-end model. While your normal toaster can be great for making toast occasionally, a toaster with more features can elevate your breakfast experience.
A larger toaster with more features can help you prepare a wider range of foods. Outside of toasting bread, your toaster may be able to handle bagels, English muffins, toaster strudel, waffles, and more. While most toasters can make these foods, they might not make them as effectively as a machine with more functions.
Wider slots, more numerous toast slots, and easy cleaning for your crumb tray are all great features you’ll find in higher-end toasters. You’ll find better profiles, more precise controls, and a shading or browning system that allows you to make the perfect slice of toast every time.
How to Choose a Toaster for Canadians
With so many toaster options on the Canadian market, it can be difficult to determine which option is best for you. The size, style, and number of slices each toaster can make are all critical choices when it comes to your new toaster. Keep the following factors in mind before you make a purchase.
Style and Size
For some shoppers, how the toaster will look in the kitchen is very important. If you want a toaster that will coordinate with the rest of your kitchen appliances, that is important to remember while shopping. You might want to look for a toaster that has multiple colour, style, or size options. The best fit for your kitchen may not be right for someone else, so you must have options to select from while browsing.
In addition to the look of your toaster, you also need one that will fit on your countertops. How much space do you have for a toaster? Keep the size and countertop space you have in mind before making a purchase. Choosing a smaller toaster might be necessary for a smaller kitchen, particularly if you use your toaster often.
Safety features should always be a consideration when you are shopping for a new kitchen appliance. It is important to think about what safety features will allow you to feel comfortable using your new toaster. One key feature to look out for can be an automatic turn-off function. This means the toaster will automatically turn off, even if there is food jammed in the toaster. This minimizes safety risks. Another feature you can look for is an extra lift function. The extra lift function can protect your fingers from being burnt. Not all toasters have the same safety features.
We chose toasters that featured designs that remain cool to the touch, even when in use, to prevent burnt fingertips. We also looked for auto-off features so that your toast won’t burn if it gets jammed in the slots. And of course, toasters that are BPA-free and non-toxic, so you can be sure your family is getting the healthiest meals possible.
It is important to double-check that the toaster you are considering buying has all the safety features you desire in mind.
If you are hoping to make large batches of toast or feed many people in a short amount of time, this is important to consider. You may want to get a four-slice toaster. A four-slice toaster allows you to make more toast in a shorter amount of time. This can be helpful if you are trying to make large quantities of toast. However, if you do not want or need to make lots of toast at once, you may be better off purchasing a smaller toaster. A smaller toaster can be good for the shopper who is only trying to make one or two slices of toast at a time or is not trying to feed many people.
Toasting is just the beginning. If you want to toast more than just your favourite bread, you might want to choose an option that features different functions. The most popular among these is the ‘bagel’ function. Whether you want your bagel to be the same on both sides or not, a bagel function can help deliver the perfect bagel every time.
Other functions include ‘reheat’, which keeps your toast, bagels, and frozen foods warm if you’re late to breakfast. You might also have a function for frozen foods on your toaster. However, you choose to use your toaster, having multiple options can help you keep your kitchen equipped for anything you may need in the future.
Most toaster controls are simple, manual knobs and dials that you can move to your selected settings. New toasters may have digital settings, which can help you set the precise browning level you like for your toast. Either way, you’ll want to take a close look at the controls on the front of the toaster before you make a purchase.
Choose a toaster with simple controls to get you started, especially if you aren’t sure you want a toaster with all the bells and whistles. While most controls are simple, a select few might be more complicated. Make sure to check your toaster’s user manual to determine the best way to get the results you want.
How many browning levels does the toaster have? Many toasters have between 4 and 6 options, but the best toasters in Canada have as many as 10. Finding the perfect level for your tastes can be a challenge, but having multiple browning levels can help you fine-tune the way you want your toast to taste. Browning levels, heat options, and cooking options can help you customize your breakfast and find the perfect settings for your mornings.
If you are a fairly simple person who doesn’t have a tasting preference, fewer browning levels might be ideal for you. However, more browning levels can give you a reason to discover your preferences in greater detail.
Toaster design is far from stagnant, and there are plenty of options on the Canadian market that offer special features. This may include display screens to show you your settings, a countdown indicator to show you when your toast will be finished, and more. Some of the features we found most helpful were the dual-sided controls for toasting different slices at different browning levels simultaneously. Some options feature delayed start, which allows both sides of the toaster to pop at the same time.
Special features can make it easier than ever to get breakfast done at the same time. Additional features can only enhance your quality of life and provide great toasted foods for years to come.
If you want the most out of your toaster (or if you use your toaster often), consider choosing a design that has more quality of life features for your intended purpose. Make sure to look for a toaster that fits all of your needs and makes your life easier. You should choose a digital display with a timer, settings, and other features if you need to make the perfect toast every time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Toasters can be used for bread, but also for bagels and various pastries. To make sure you use only safe options with your toaster, check what it can do for you before using anything other than bread slices.
Toasters can make life much easier, especially for Canadians who don’t want to spend much time dealing with breakfast in the morning. A toaster gives easy access to enjoying a snack or a quick meal.
This depends on the preferences of each Canadian household. Those with various people at home might want to opt for toasters with 4 slices and dual settings, while smaller households might prefer those with 2 slices and more compact.