Treadmills are a popular way to exercise in Canada, thanks to the many fitness benefits it provides. For many, it is a staple machine to use while working out, whether at the gym or at home. Adding a treadmill to your household gym is one of the most efficient ways to ensure you get the right fitness routine for a healthy lifestyle.
With so many options available, you may need help narrowing down the best ones. This curated list benefits from hours of extensive research, and is based on what Canadian fitness lovers appreciate most in a treadmill. We looked at features such as the dimensions of each treadmill, the maximum user weight, speed, and material. These features can inform your decision when it comes to choosing the right treadmill for you. Let’s take a look at the best treadmills in Canada for 2023.
Best Treadmills for Canadians in 2023
- Best Overall: NordicTrack C 1750 Treadmill
- Best Whole-Body: Bowflex BXT8J Treadmill
- Best Variety: XTERRA Fitness TR150 Treadmill
- Best Lightweight: Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T1407M Foldable Treadmill
- Best Portability: SereneLife Electric Motorized Treadmill
Why Did We Choose These Treadmills in Canada?
All of the treadmills present on this list have been specially selected for a variety of reasons. We’ve rigorously evaluated on them, and extensive research by our experts allows us to choose the best for you. Here’s why each of these treadmills appears on this list.
We chose the NordicTrack C 1750 as the best overall treadmill thanks to its host of benefits. It is a popular treadmill with trainers and athletes and includes impressive terrain-matching technology. It also has a cinematic display and high-quality sound to provide easy distraction during training.
The Bowflex BXT8J is the best choice for a whole-body workout. It also features innovative deck cushioning, along with speed and incline control, as well as heart rate hand grips. There is also a USB charging port and a built-in media shelf. The built-in fan adds extra comfort.
The XTERRA Fitness TR150 Treadmill offers the most variety. It has 12 preset programs that ensure you won’t get bored doing the same workouts, and there are also 3 manual incline settings for further customization. The XTERRA also comes with an integrated bookrack and other accessory holders for your phone or a remote.
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T1407M Foldable Treadmill is a great lightweight option. It is ideal for smaller spaces and features a comfortable ergonomic design. It does not require an electric outlet, so can be used anywhere. The non-slip running surface and the easy folding contribute to making it a very low-maintenance option.
If you’re looking for the best portability, the SereneLife Electric Motorized Treadmill is a foldable option that can easily be carried from one space to another. It has a range of selectable preset training modes that allow you to create a custom workout whenever you want to use it. For extra security, it has an integrated safety key, as well as an emergency shut-off button that immediately stops all power when pressed. The digital LCD helps you keep track of your activity.
NordicTrack C 1750 Treadmill
It's Great For:
The NordicTrack C 1750 Treadmill is our best all-around choice for 2023. This hi-tech option comes with a 30-day iFit trial, allowing Canadians access to elite workout programs created by top trainers. This carbon steel design has numerous innovative technology features. It has AutoAdjust technology that adjusts your incline, decline, and speed as you go, without requiring extra input. This allows you to simply focus on your workout without additional distractions.
The ActivePulse technology takes into account changes in your heart rate to adjust speed and incline so you can remain in the best rhythm. This treadmill comes with a rotating 35 cm HD touchscreen that can also tilt and pivot, allowing you to adjust it to your preferences. It can also enhance your workouts even off the treadmill, if you’d like to indulge in some yoga after your cardio.
This treadmill has incline options from 15% to -3%. The terrain-matching technology makes you feel like you are running over hills and dips in the terrain you select for your workout. This makes it a more immersive experience that can make you more focused on the experience instead of making it feel like it is dragging.
This NordicTrack features a SpaceSaver design that makes it easier to place in your home. It also includes Easy Lift assistance, along with OneTouch controls and premium audio speakers. The treadmill software has an Android 9 operating system and includes 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi connectivity.
NordicTrack has a tread belt, an integrated AutoBreeze fan, and an inbuilt tray for your devices or additional support. The treadmill also has Google Maps workout technology, which allows you to do your fitness session wherever you want in the world, which adds more fun to the experience.
- High Tech Features. From the AutoAdjust technology to the ActivePulse, this treadmill has many exciting features. These add comfort and also entertainment options.
- Terrain-Matching Technology. This creates a more immersive experience. When you create your workout, you can feel your chosen terrain as if you were really on it.
- High-Quality Display. To get you HD access to specialized training or other entertainment sources, the HD touchscreen display and premium audio speakers are there for you.
- Incline Controls. From 15% to -3%, the incline controls on the treadmill give you more customization options.
Our Expert’s Take
“This treadmill features impressive technology in its features. A great best overall choice for treadmill lovers.”
Bowflex BXT8J Treadmill
It's Great For:
The Bowflex BXT8J is the best choice for Canadians looking to have whole-body workouts on a treadmill. It has up to 15% incline and offers professional, world-class workouts that you can access at home whenever you want. The treadmill comes with a wealth of built-in programs. These 26 workout programs will keep you entertained and on track to achieving your fitness goals. You can go even further by purchasing a JRNY subscription, which would allow you to unlock even more training and features. This is not required to explore the many benefits of the treadmill, with users having access to the preset programs no matter the level.
The large running path features Comfort Tech deck cushioning, which adds impact absorption that creates a landing surface easier on the joints. You can adjust your speed and incline at any time, even as you run. The hand grips on the treadmill can monitor your heart rate during your workout, which you will be able to see on the display. This will ensure that you can remain in your best target area for heart rate.
There is a built-in media shelf, ideal for a phone or a tablet. This shelf will keep your devices safe as you go. The built-in fan adds extra comfort with 3-speed settings that will help cool you during your workout. The SoftDrop folding system assists with reducing the footprint of the treadmill by 40%. This is an added level of convenience, as it will save you space in the home.
There is a USB charging port on the treadmill in case you need to charge your devices while you work out. This will keep your phone or tablet ready for when you need it once the workout is done. While the treadmill is great for all types of fitness lovers, it is also ideal for beginners, or those who prefer to do walking workouts.
You can see your activity monitoring on the DualTrack LCDs, which will help you track what you are doing, especially with heart rate, speed, and distance. The running surface is wide enough to provide a professional running experience.
- Provides a Whole-Body Workout. This is a great choice for those seeking to get the most out of a treadmill session. You can adapt the program you are doing to make sure your full body is engaged in it. This will save you some time if you don’t always have time to train in each area.
- High-Performance Incline. There is a 15% incline available on the treadmill, for those looking for a professional experience.
- Convenient Features. The media options and built-in USB charging deliver a practical entertainment space that can keep you in the zone as you work out.
- DualTrack LCDs. These displays add functionality to the treadmill by allowing you to track your activity as you go.
Our Expert’s Take
“This treadmill has great functionality and delivers professional performance.”
XTERRA Fitness TR150 Treadmill
It's Great For:
The XTERRA Fitness TR150 Treadmill is one of our top choices thanks to the variety it offers. This treadmill is made from alloy steel and features an easily foldable design for better storage. When you get on the treadmill, you will be on a large running surface powered by a high-torque motor.
The 12 cm LCD monitors your activity and shows feedback that includes information about calories, pulse, speed, and distance. Under the display, you will find direct access speed keys that will help you customize your workout program. There are 12 presets you can use to keep your workouts varied, as well as 3 inclines that you can adjust manually.
This treadmill is designed to fit into the home, with an easy pull knob available to make it fold and unfold. Whenever you want to store it, the process will take only a few minutes, and it will be just as quick to get it back into place. The treadmill has various entertainment functions, from an integrated bookrack to accessory holders for your phone, a remote control, or anything else you might want to keep on hand.
There is XTRASoft deck cushioning technology along the running surface for extra support and comfort. This cushioning absorbs impact, making it easier to keep running on the treadmill without wasting energy. This is an easy-to-assemble treadmill that takes around 20 minutes to put together once you receive it. Bear in mind that it is heavy, so you might need some assistance to carry it the first time you get it.
This XTERRA treadmill provides an overall great fitness experience at home. It is an ideal solution for the winter months, especially for Canadians who feel trapped inside by the weather and unable to do their favourite workouts. It is good for runners and for those who prefer walking on the treadmill. There are presets to cover all types of treadmill users, and you can customize the experience to fit your specific needs.
- Variety in Presets. With 12 presets ready to go, you won’t have to follow the same workout routine all the time. This will help keep you engaged in the activity.
- Easy Storage. Once assembled, the treadmill can be easily folded and unfolded as needed. It has a compact size when unfolded, but when you need to free up space you can do it in minutes.
- Great for Beginners. While this treadmill can fit many users in Canada, it is designed for beginners or for those who prefer to integrate walking into their workouts.
- Easy Activity Tracking. The LCD on the treadmill helps you monitor your activity, especially when it comes to keeping track of time and distance. This can help you adapt your workouts to get the most out of them.
Our Expert’s Take
“The XTERRA Fitness TR150 Treadmill is a choice that offers variety for workouts while taking up little space and being easy to fold. It is a great choice for beginners.”
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T1407M Foldable Treadmill
It's Great For:
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T1407M Foldable Treadmill is a practical lightweight option that can fit in any Canadian household. This treadmill is foldable and includes wheels for easy transportation. Assembly is quick and requires no prior expertise. There are non-slip handles, along with a spacious non-stick walking surface. The monitor display on the treadmill helps you keep track of time, speed, distance, and calories during your workout.
There is a set incline of 13.5% that can help you achieve a professional-level workout at any time, from the comfort of your home. The digital monitor can also be used in scan mode, which will continuously repeat the tracking to provide an in-depth calculation. Whenever you need to fold the treadmill, its dimensions will reduce to 50.8 X 58 X 127 cm. You can then roll it to a convenient storage space, and quickly unfold it when you want access to it again.
There are dual flywheels on the treadmill. These help with ensuring a quick response with each step you take. Floor stabilizers keep your treadmill grounded so you won’t have to worry about slipping or tilting while you are working out. The set incline can seem intimidating to beginners, so we recommend it for those who have some experience with a walking treadmill or are looking for a challenge.
This electric option can be used without needing to plug it in anywhere. Unlike many flat treadmills, this one makes you feel like you are walking uphill thanks to the set incline. The treadmill is not noisy, which is ideal for apartment living, especially those with smaller rooms. It offers great value for money and provides an intense workout for those looking to walk on it.
This treadmill is not recommended for running as it is designed for walking. This doesn’t mean you’d be missing out on being able to work out on it. The incline will add to the difficulty of the session, and you will usually come off it feeling the burn. It can also provide a great first step to embracing a healthier lifestyle, but make sure you are ready for the incline. You can add extra back support to make it more comfortable as you get used to it. Remember to use the non-slip handles to have more stability on the treadmill while you use it.
- Great Walking Performance. Canadians who prefer a walking treadmill can enjoy the high performance available on this Sunny Health option. The steep incline adds difficulty to the workout.
- Lightweight Construction. The treadmill occupies little space and can be folded and rolled away. It is lightweight, which makes it even easier to maneuver around your home.
- No Plug Required. This is an electric treadmill, which does not require plugging into a power source. You can enjoy this without having to deal with a motor and while saving electricity.
- Simple Design. The treadmill is easy to assemble and easy to use, making it a great choice for experienced users as well as beginners ready to take on a challenge.
Our Expert’s Take
“This treadmill provides a good challenge to those who prefer walking. It offers great performance for its size.”
SereneLife Smart Digital Folding Treadmill
It's Great For:
The SereneLife Electric Motorized Treadmill offers great portability to users. It can be carried with ease, and it also folds for added convenience. This treadmill is designed with safety in mind, featuring an integrated safety key and an emergency shut-off button. This can give you more peace of mind as you work out.
When you get the treadmill, you will have access to an app available on iOS and Android. It also has easy Bluetooth connectivity for phones, laptops, and tablets that does not require a password or a complicated pairing process. The treadmill has a smart digital design, with an LCD screen that keeps track of your activity. There are built-in grip sensors that allow you to monitor your heart rate to ensure that you remain in your best zone during the session.
There is a range of selectable preset training modes that let you customize your workout to make sure it is relevant to you. The speed and incline settings are adjustable to further customize your experience. If you are ready for a challenge, remember to adjust these settings when you feel comfortable doing so.
There is a removable holder that you can use for a book or your favourite devices. The running surface features excellent shock absorption and reduces impact. The motorized plug-in design makes the treadmill even easier to use whenever you want. Assembly time is quick and can be done without requiring additional assistance.
The treadmill provides consistent smooth performance that can be enjoyed by beginners and experts alike. It is ideal for routine light to medium workouts, but you can get more intensity from it as needed. It offers plenty of handy features that make the experience more practical and comfortable, especially for such a simple treadmill.
Noise levels are kept at a minimum when this machine is in use, so you won’t have to worry about neighbours or other people in your home overhearing you when you are working out. The compact design makes it a great fit for most types of households in Canada.
- Convenient Portability. The lightweight foldable design makes it a practical choice, especially for Canadians living alone. The machine can be assembled, folded, and carried with ease.
- Simple Build. The simplicity of this treadmill provides all the basic practicality associated with these machines while ensuring everyone can use it, no matter the level.
- Customizable Settings. There are preset programs that can be customized to suit the style of your workouts. Speed and incline settings can also be adjusted to make sure you increase the challenge of your sessions.
- Great Connectivity. The Bluetooth connectivity on this treadmill is hassle-free. You can get your devices hooked up to the treadmill quickly, and then proceed to enjoy the connection.
Our Expert’s Take
“Those looking for portability should opt for the SereneLife Electric Motorized Treadmill. It has a simple design that still offers the convenience of the basics along with plenty of customizable settings.”
Why Trust Us?
We’ve spent years searching far and wide for the best Canadian products to recommend to you. Our extensive experience has taught us what to look for when it comes to home products, mattresses, exercise equipment, and more. We send every product to team of experts, who evaluate each product extensively. Through hours of analysis and research, we arrive at our recommendations for you.
When it comes to treadmills, we looked at performance areas like:
- Horsepower. In treadmills, power is measured in horsepower. Power ratings can determine how well the treadmill works for various exercises. We made sure to include multiple horsepower options for a variety of Canadians.
- Speed. The speed of your treadmill determines what you can do with it. Walking, for instance, requires lower speeds. We included the speed range on each treadmill so you can choose the one that’s best for you.
- Incline. A treadmill’s incline can drastically change the outcomes of your workout. We looked for options with multiple incline levels but included some without as well.
- Size. The size of the treadmill determines where you can place it, so we made sure to include treadmills in multiple size categories.
How to Choose a Treadmill in Canada for 2023
Treadmills are a staple of any home gym. They are great options for most people who are working on their fitness. Purchasing one for your home can be a great idea. However, choosing one can be a bit more difficult. There are a lot of options available, and most have a long list of variable specifications. So how do you choose? We’re here to help you figure out what treadmill will fit your needs.
The power of your treadmill is measured in horsepower or HP. This rating can determine what you can use your treadmill for, as well as its limits and capabilities.
- Less than 3.0 HP. Low-horsepower treadmills are great for walking and hiking, especially if you have incline controls. However, they can’t be used for longer periods and aren’t meant for long-distance travelling.
- 3.0 HP to 4.0 HP. Treadmills in this range can be great for most types of training. Many affordable treadmills fall in this range. Treadmills closer to 4.0 HP are superior and can be used for most types of training. You shouldn’t use a motor with this HP rating for longer speed training exercises, or more than about 7 miles at a time.
- More than 4.0 HP. Only the best treadmills have a horsepower rating this high. Professional treadmills in this category are meant to be used often, and at high speeds over long distances. If you are doing a lot of running or endurance training, you’ll likely want a treadmill with this power rating.
Treadmills can be fast, but the speed options will determine the upper limits of how fast your treadmill can run. If you are using your treadmill for running only, choose one with a speed up to 9 or 10 miles per hour. Walking can be as little as 2 to 6 miles per hour, and jogging can be at any speed up to about 8 miles per hour.
The speed you need depends on how you’ll use the machine. However, the speed that the machine is capable of is determined by the horsepower of its motor. If you are interested in slowly ramping up your treadmill workouts to include running or jogging, choose a machine that is already capable of reaching these speeds.
When a treadmill features an incline adjustment, the front of the deck will raise or lower. This incline can have a huge effect on your workout. A steeper incline works your muscles harder, whereas a flat incline is easier on them. Incline adjustment can be done digitally on some of the best treadmills in Canada, but it can also be a manual adjustment.
The more incline levels available, the more variable your workout can be. If you want a challenge, look for inclines between 5% and 10%. While the incline will be available, you can also walk, run, or jog while the treadmill is flat. These adjustments only give you a chance to expand your workouts if you choose.
How much space do you have for your home gym? How tall are your ceilings? Both considerations should be addressed before you shop for a treadmill. Treadmills come in a variety of sizes, and you need to make sure that you have enough floor space to accommodate them. This is especially true if you are tall because taller users require a longer treadmill belt.
Aside from the floor space in your home gym, you need to consider the height of your ceiling. Many treadmills have incline options, which raise the deck by degrees to make workouts more challenging. Make sure that the incline on the treadmill isn’t going to create a hazard to the ceiling of your room.
Keep in mind that the size of a folding treadmill might not matter. Because they can fold up and store out of the way, you can choose an option with a longer deck even if you don’t have the space to keep it set up all the time.
Every treadmill has a weight limit or capacity. It’s best to stay under this weight limit while using your treadmill. Even if you plan to lose weight, you should choose a treadmill that can accommodate you at your current size. That’s because this is the tested limit under which the treadmill can run normally. Exceeding this limit can result in your treadmill malfunctioning. It may also be unsafe to use the treadmill above the weight limit.
Always pay close attention to the weight limit the manufacturer specifies. If you disregard this limit, it might also void your warranty on the treadmill.
Display and Tracking
Display monitors are common in most modern treadmills. A screen near the control panel will usually display metrics such as calories burned, distance travelled, and speed. These monitors help you keep track of how you’re doing. Some monitors will store this information over time, allowing you to track your progress on your fitness journey.
However, not all displays are created equally. Some displays are simple LCD screens, while others are tablet-sized touch screens with multiple metrics and quick access to logs and programs. The display can be an important part of your workout, so make sure that you consider which type you’d like to use. If you don’t see yourself using one of the larger, more advanced screens, choosing an option that only displays common metrics might be more viable.
Here is a short list of the options that may be displayed on your treadmill’s monitor.
- Speed. How fast you are running.
- Distance. How far you’ve run during your workout.
- Calories Burned. How many calories you’ve burned during your current session.
- Heart Rate. Helps track heart rate so you can stay in your most effective range, which is different for everyone.
- Steps. For tracking your progress or fitness over time.
- Incline or Program Information. For challenging yourself.
- Time. How long you’ve been working out.
These metrics can help you keep track of your fitness journey, but keep in mind that they are calculated with a general formula. The actual amount of calories burned depends on several factors that your treadmill cannot accurately predict. While this metric is a great way to track your fitness, you should be careful about using it in any meaningful way.
Treadmill Special Features
Your treadmill may also have a few special features that aren’t necessarily part of your workout. However, these features can help make your time on the treadmill that much better. Special features include a device holder or shelf or a bottle holder for your water bottle. Other options include auxiliary inputs for your phone or music player, as well as built-in speakers, Bluetooth connectivity, and more.
These special features don’t necessarily make your workout any easier. Once you have a treadmill with full connectivity, a bottle holder, and a place to put your phone, you might find yourself more inclined to use it. The value of these special features might be more impressive than you think!
Anxious about using a treadmill? Sometimes, accidents happen. You want to do the most you can to ensure that everything goes smoothly. Safety features can help ease your mind and help in a sticky situation. There are a few different features to look for in a treadmill.
First, the emergency stop clip is the most important safety feature you should look for. This clip is usually magnetized. When removed from its spot on the control panel (usually by pulling the cord), the treadmill will come to an instant stop. This is essential for safety situations.
Other options include anti-skid stops on the side of the treadmill, which offer a place to stand when you need to get off the belt for a moment. Anti-slip attachments can ensure that the belt keeps working as intended, too.
These are just a handful of helpful options, but you should consider the best safety features that will ease your mind.
- Runners should use a belt that is 20” wide and 60” long. A belt this long can help accommodate taller users, especially those over 6 feet tall.
- Walkers and some joggers only need a belt that is about 17” wide (up to 20”) and 45” to 60” long. You can choose a smaller belt if you only plan to walk on the treadmill, or if you are very short.
- Larger users might want to select an oversized treadmill belt, up to 22” wide and over 60” long. These belts are made for users of all sizes, including larger users.
Subscriptions and Apps
Some treadmills (like NordicTrack’s options) use apps and subscriptions to help elevate your workout. These subscription services are often monthly or yearly and can include on-demand workout programs, live personal training sessions, and continuous tracking of your progress over time. If you are interested in using your treadmill often (or want to effortlessly keep track of how you’re doing), choosing a treadmill with app integration might be the perfect option for you.
Each luxury treadmill brand has its subscription service. If your treadmill isn’t from one of these brands, you should still check for app integration compatibility. Often, these luxury-brand apps will include integration with other treadmills, especially those with Bluetooth compatibility. Shop around and find a subscription service that works with your treadmill, but also offers programs you’ll use.
Most Canadians won’t have a lot of room for their home gym. Treadmills can be large machines, especially longer decks for running and taller users. To avoid having your treadmill take up valuable floor space, choose a folding option. Folding treadmills allow you to pull the deck upwards, storing it against the wall. Folding will greatly reduce the footprint of your treadmill and allow you to move around a little easier.
If you have plenty of space, folding isn’t necessary. Storing your treadmill becomes a lot easier when it folds, though. Even if you often go long periods without using your treadmill, having a folding storage option may be incredibly beneficial.
Frequently Asked Questions
Treadmills can offer many features, but Canadians look out for some in particular. Among them, treadmill users in Canada look for convenient options. The features that make a treadmill more comfortable and hi-tech tend to be the most interesting, from displays to Bluetooth connectivity to device holders. Treadmill users also want to know whether it can fold, as well as the maximum weight it can take.
Safety is an essential aspect of using a treadmill in Canada. You should always make sure to get a treadmill with sufficient running surface for your build. You should also avoid overdoing it. If the treadmill comes with activity tracking, keep an eye on your heart rate in particular. If a safety key or an emergency shut-off button is included, check where they are before getting on the treadmill.
Treadmills are a great addition to Canadian households. They help maintain a healthy lifestyle from a comfortable setting. Many of them provide lots of entertaining features that can keep you more motivated. If you want to build healthier habits in your own home, a treadmill is a safe choice.