Founded in 2021 by Andrew Kim, Carmen Da Silva, Brandon Sam Soon, and Dmitri Bourchtein, SHARE is a real estate technology company that specializes in sourcing high-return US single-family rental homes and then professionally renovating, tenanting, and managing them on behalf of investors.
SHARE is the first platform to offer end-to-end services to Canadians that want to own US single-family rental properties completely remotely. Believing in the resiliency of US single-family homes and the potential this asset class holds for investors in both Canada and the US, SHARE is looking to expand its footprint and presence in both markets.
SHARE makes investing in and owning real estate as easy as stocks by enabling investors to reap the benefits of real estate ownership without the burden of full-time landlord duties, all while providing upfront guarantees to ensure a balance between risks and returns.
Tell us about yourself?
Andrew Kim, CEO & Co-Founder of SHARE, a real estate technology platform offering end-to-end services to investors locally and abroad that want to own US single-family rental properties completely remotely. Since its inception, Andrew believed in the resiliency of US single-family homes and the potential this asset class holds for investors in both Canada and the US. Andrew and SHARE are looking to expand their footprint and presence in both markets.
Growing up, I came from a low-income immigrant family, and the idea that real estate was always a safe investment was deeply ingrained into my mind. Prior to my current role as CEO and co-founder of SHARE, my career has been in consumer tech for my own venture-backed startups and fast-growing divisions within large enterprises.
In 2010, I saved up enough to embark on investing in single-family rentals (SFRs) in Ontario. Regrettably, these properties created substantial financial losses for me while attempting to stabilize these assets, and I failed to attain the lucrative returns that others proudly professed.
Following the sale of my previous startup in 2015, my wife and I chose to return to Canada and focus on building our family. We yearned for careers that would afford us more time and presence in our personal lives, prompting me to secure employment at Loblaws Companies’ digital division. However, as 2019 rolled around, an urge to dive back into the startup world began to surface within me. Just as I was in the process of brainstorming ideas, the pandemic struck, making it evident that it would take a considerable amount of time for the market to stabilize. Consequently, to supplement my passive income, I made the decision to allocate additional capital toward investing in Single-Family Residences (SFRs).
If you could go back in time a year or two, what piece of advice would you give yourself?
Aside from putting money into cryptocurrency and some stocks when they bottomed out? I should’ve refinanced all my real estate holdings at a fixed rate when interest rates were at an all-time low.
What problem does your business solve?
SHARE provides investment and real estate opportunities for individuals looking to invest in Single-Family Residences (SFRs) remotely. SHARE can address specific challenges and offer solutions that cater to investors who are geographically distant from their investment properties. Here are some problems that remote SFR investing can solve:
- Geographic Flexibility: Remote SFR investing allows individuals to invest in properties located in different cities, states, or even countries, providing flexibility and the opportunity to tap into real estate markets with strong potential. This solves the problem of being limited to investing only in local markets and opens up a wider range of investment opportunities.
- Access to High-Growth Markets: Investing remotely enables individuals to target areas with high growth potential, such as emerging real estate markets or regions experiencing economic development and population growth. This solves the problem of being confined to local markets with limited growth prospects.
- Property Management Efficiency: Remote SFR investing often involves leveraging professional property management services. This allows investors to delegate the day-to-day management tasks, including tenant screening, rent collection, and maintenance and repairs, to local property management companies. It solves the problem of effectively managing properties from a distance and ensures that the investment is professionally handled.
- Scalability and Portfolio Diversification: Remote SFR investing offers the ability to build a diverse portfolio of properties across different locations, which helps mitigate risk and enhance portfolio performance. Investors can strategically choose properties in various markets, spreading their investment across regions with different economic conditions and rental demand patterns.
- Time and Resource Optimization: By investing remotely, individuals can save time and resources associated with physically travelling to properties, conducting inspections, and dealing with local administrative tasks. Remote investing allows investors to focus on research, analysis, and strategic decision-making without the constraints of geographical proximity.
What is the inspiration behind your business?
The inspiration behind SHARE’s beginnings stems from the hopes of people investing in themselves and their future and building personal financial wealth through real estate. My achievements can also be attributed to the unwavering support and partnership of my wife. She serves as the ideal counterpart to my high-risk lifestyle, as we jointly invest in every business venture and approach decision-making as a cohesive team. Her role as both a motivator and realist strikes a harmonious balance, pushing me forward while also providing a grounded perspective.
SHARE provides the tools and services to build a well-rounded real estate portfolio to help attain financial freedom. Having a diversified real estate portfolio offers several key advantages:
- Long-term Wealth Building: Real estate has the potential for appreciation, allowing investors to build long-term wealth and, over time, increase their finances.
- Cash Flow and Passive Income: Rental properties within the portfolio can generate regular cash flow, providing a steady stream of passive income to investors.
- Stability: A well-diversified real estate portfolio can help mitigate risk by spreading investments across different property types, locations, and market segments. Real estate investments, particularly residential properties, tend to exhibit lower volatility compared to other asset classes, adding stability to an investment portfolio.
- Tangible Asset with Intrinsic Value: Real estate is a tangible asset that holds intrinsic value, offering a sense of security and stability to investors.
- Tax Advantages: Real estate investments often come with various tax benefits, such as deductions for mortgage interest, property taxes, and depreciation, reducing tax liability and enhancing overall returns.
What is your magic sauce?
SHARE stands out in the market because we know financial security through US SFRs is highly attainable when done correctly. We offer investors a way to source and manage investment property(ies) in a completely digital, low-risk, low-effort way. Real estate is one of the biggest markets in the world, with various players doing various spins, yet SHARE is the only company offering US single-rental properties to Canadians.
The vast size of the US real estate market has led to the proliferation of technology-driven service offerings across every step of the value chain. This extensive range of tech-centric solutions has enabled companies like SHARE to develop comprehensive digital platforms for real estate services. What sets SHARE apart from others is the understanding that there is no one solution or the ability to wrap a product in a 100 per cent guarantee. However, SHARE offers the important guarantees that matter to investors, such as a 12-month repair insurance at no cost or a three-month tenant reassurance.
Moreover, the availability of real estate data, coupled with advancements in technology, allows tech-enabled companies to provide in-depth analyses regarding the investment viability of properties. This easy access to real estate and economic data at both micro and macro levels has significantly accelerated the development of tech-centric tools that assist investors throughout the entire real estate journey, resulting in more informed and astute decision-making.
Additionally, when comparing single-family residences in the US and Canada, it can be observed that the economics are more favourable in the US, offering a greater return on investment compared to anything one can find in Canada. While Canadians may find homes that are almost equivalent in quality, these properties are typically only available in more rural areas. The key distinction lies in the fact that in the US, such properties can be found in core urban areas, providing the opportunity for a convenient and desirable location for homeowners.
What is the plan for the next 5 years? What do you want to achieve?
We want to be the first stop that any Canadian thinks of when considering buying US rental properties. We are committed to establishing an unparalleled network and an extensive service offering that will surpass the ease and convenience of buying rental real estate within Canada. In fact, we firmly believe that within a span of less than five years, we can forge a clear path toward achieving this ambitious goal.
At our core, we prioritize providing investors with an exceptional experience. Our comprehensive services will encompass everything from property research and due diligence to financing options and ongoing management support. SHARE can help pave the way for Canadians to access the vast potential of US rental properties, surpassing the barriers that exist within their own borders.
What is the biggest challenge you’ve faced so far?
SHARE’s biggest challenge has been educating Canadian investors on this asset class. As Canadians, we’re very conservative investors – we take safe bets, which often results in investing locally. However, SHARE strongly believes that as Canadians gain a comprehensive understanding of the economic factors and underlying forces that make US SFRs one of the world’s most resilient asset classes, they’ll soon realize that it is indeed a very “Canadian” investment.
How can people get involved?
SHARE’s website features a collection of informative blog posts encompassing valuable advice, comprehensive guides, and an array of resources and tools aimed at individuals seeking to delve into real estate investments or enhance their understanding of the subject matter. Visit our website at sharesfr.com, book a call, or call us directly at 941-260-1782.