Carry on luggage is becoming ever more appealing, especially taking into consideration fees for checked baggage. The practicality of carry on luggage has resulted in a wide range of options available for Canadians. You may find yourself not knowing which one to pick, or which will suit you best.
To help with this search, we have used extensive research to compile a list of the best carry on luggage in Canada for 2023. We based our research on features that are important to Canadians, and here’s an in-depth look at what each of these options has to offer you. You’ll find carry-on luggage for every trip you plan to take in the future, as well as durable bags for flights with limited space.
The 8 Best Carry-On Luggage Options in Canada for 2023
- Best Overall: Travelers Club Luggage 20” Chicago Expandable Spinner Carry-On Luggage
- Best Convenience: SwissGear Spinner Carry-On Luggage
- Best for Couples: Atlantic Tribute II
- Best Durability: Samsonite Omni Hardside Spinner
- Best Under Seat: Traveler’s Club Smart Carry-On Luggage
- Best for Business Travel: TravelPro Maxlite 5 Carry-On Luggage
- Best Lightweight: Travelpro Maxlite Air Expandable Luggage
- Best for Budget Canadian Shoppers: Wrangler Carry-On 20-Inch Luggage
Why Did We Choose This Carry-On Luggage in Canada?
Each carry-on luggage that made this list did so for several reasons. Our picks stood out in different categories, displaying various features, perks, and uses for a wide range of Canadians shopping for the best carry-on luggage in 2023. Here are some product highlights that explain our thought process and recommendations.
The Travelers Club Luggage 20” Chicago Expandable Spinner Carry-On Luggage is our top overall choice for Canadian buyers. It combines material quality, organizational features, a smart design, ergonomics, and reasonable pricing. It also happens to have the safest dimensions to meet air travel requirements.
The SwissGear Spinner Carry-On Luggage is a convenient option. This choice is made from thick ABS, offering scratch and damage resistance. It includes 360º spinner wheels for easy transport, and features a split-case design that allows you to fill it up with more ease and versatility.
Couples can benefit from using the Atlantic Tribute II. This is one of the best carry-on luggages in Canada that can serve two people while still passing most airline inspections.
The Samsonite Omni Hardside Spinner is a re-engineered option that offers great durability. It has a full-zip interior and includes a TSA lock for additional protection while traveling. This luggage comes with all-side expansion options, making it easier to pack and store belongings.
Those seeking a convenient under seat option should consider the Travelers Club Smart Carry-On Luggage. This choice comes with skating wheels for easy portability, along with a side USB port that can facilitate device charging. The interior is fully-lined and includes accessory pockets, while the open side pocket has easy access to essential belongings.
The TravelPro Maxlite 5 is our top recommendation for stylish and functional carry-on luggage. Canadian businessmen and businesswomen can count on it during long and tiring trips.
The Travelpro Maxlite Air Expandable Luggage is a great option for those in need of a lightweight option. This carry-on luggage is made from polycarbonate and designed to be as flexible and impact-absorbing as possible. The carry on has zippered dividers and an accessory pocket, allowing Canadians to easily store and organize their belongings.
We wanted to find an ideal choice for the budget traveller. The Wrangler Carry-On 20-Inch Luggage is a solid option and doesn’t compromise safety and durability despite its budget-friendly price.
Travelers Club Luggage 20” Chicago Expandable Spinner Carry-On Luggage
If you need the best carry-on luggage in Canada, this Travelers Club Luggage option might be one that ticks all the boxes. It weighs 2.5 kg and measures 50.8 x 33 x 20.32 centimetres. It’s small enough to pass airport security checks, and you can store it in the overhead compartment to never lose sight of it.
The luggage comes in teal, gray, black, and other colour options with delicate patterns to make it look more attractive. The model has double-spinner wheels with 360 degrees of mobility. That allows users to carry it on almost any terrain with ease. In addition, the carry-on luggage for Canadians has a fully lined interior that protects your clothes and other items from the rugged shell.
You may also appreciate the dual handle system that lets you lift it with ease and carry the luggage as a suitcase. The expandable design ensures you can fit more items for your trip, and the compression bands will keep them snug.
While it doesn’t have anything other than an accessory pocket, packing laptops and other gadgets is quite safe. The luggage has a hard ABS shell that can take a serious pounding without damaging fragile items.
- Double Spinner Wheels. These wheels add 360º mobility to any travel experience, making them very easy to transport.
- Dual Handle System. This system adds versatility to any trip, as you can lift this carry on at any time and use it like a suitcase.
- Impact Resistant. The hard ABS shell exterior of the carry on makes it a great choice for those worried about shock absorption.
- Great Compatibility. This is an ideal choice for air travel as it meets international airline regulations for carry on luggage.
Our Expert’s Take
“The hard shell of this luggage makes it extremely durable, and the double spinner wheels make it extremely easy to transport through the airport. You’ll be on your way in no time!”
SwissGear Spinner Carry-On Luggage
The SwissGear Spinner Carry-On Luggage can be an ideal option for Canadians looking for convenience while traveling abroad. This lightweight option is made from ABS but has a lightweight design, making it easier to transport. It comes with 360º spinner wheels, as well as a retractable push button locking handle, and a top handle for more portability options.
Canadians who prefer more interesting designs in their luggage will enjoy this SwissGear option. It has a split-case design on the interior, with elastic tie-down straps for extra versatility. This gives you more space to keep your belongings safe and organized, and for extra security you can use the zippered privacy pocket for those items that require more safe-guarding.
This scratch-resistant option offers great durability with a practical design. Made to last, each of the premium materials used to build this carry on was carefully selected to provide long-lasting wear. The innovative design features weather-resistant materials and packing versatility with the interior compartment and storage options.
Easy mobility is ensured with this carry on thanks to the spinner wheels and the reinforced top handle, as well the retractable handle. All of these features can contribute to a smooth and straightforward traveling experience for Canadians.
- Split-Case Design. The innovative design provides more space for belongings and keeps them secure and better organised.
- Enhanced Durability. The materials used to build this carry on were selected to provide long-term durability.
- Easy Mobility. The 360º spinner wheels combined with the reinforced top handle provide great portability options even through busy airports.
- Lightweight Style. The carry on has an ABS exterior for extra protection but features a lightweight and stylish build that makes it even more convenient.
Our Expert’s Take
“The locking handle on this luggage makes it stand out. Between the weather-resistant materials and easy-glide wheels, this luggage is great for any type of weather.”
Best for Couples
Atlantic Tribute II
If you want one of the best carry-on luggages in Canada for international travel, the Atlantic Tribute II is a solid choice. This carry-on luggage measures 50.8 x 39.5 x 27.9 centimetres. It is tough, spacious, and easy to carry, with a smooth action locking handle and a sturdy top handle ready to support overstuffed luggage.
The interior has good lining and a split-case design. The tie-down compression straps are excellent if you want to fold your clothes, save space, and prevent fragile items from moving. In addition, you have a separate privacy compartment with a solid zipper to store other items.
The Atlantic Tribute II has plastic spinner wheels with 360-degree mobility. While they can make some noise, the wheels are as sturdy as they come.
Canadians looking for carry-on luggage may appreciate the ABS hard shell. It’s thick, tough, and scratch-resistant. That means it’s ideal for travelling by any means of transportation and during all weather conditions. While not waterproof, the luggage has high water resistance.
Furthermore, the Atlantic Tribute II is designed by one of the top holiday luggage manufacturers with over a century of experience in the industry. Its robust frames, versatility, and overall light weight make it a solid choice for Canadians going on holiday.
- Weather-Resistant. The materials used for this carry on provide some convenient protection from the elements as you travel.
- Neat Packing. This option comes with neat organization options that can keep your belongings protected and stored in separate categories.
- Privacy Pocket. There is a zippered privacy pocket located on the interior of the carry-on, perfect for securing specific belongings.
- Sturdy Design. The tough ABS shell and the spinner wheels provide sturdiness and stability to the carry-on, keeping it portable and impact-resistant.
Our Expert’s Take
“Couples who share carry-on luggage will love this full plastic luggage. The unique storage design makes it easy for both users to pack what they need.”
Samsonite Omni Hardside Spinner
The Samsonite Omni Hardside Spinner is a durable carry-on option that adheres to the regulations of most major airlines. Canadian travelers can choose this carry-on for its appealing visual design, or for its impressive lightweight engineering. Extra resistance and style is provided by the micro-diamond texture on the shell, designed to prevent scratching damage.
This carry-on option was built with durability in mind, expected to withstand rough travel conditions. The 100% polycarbonate exterior is enhanced by the 360º spinner wheels, which provide great mobility as you travel. There is a built-in TSA lock for convenient safety that won’t provide any hassle as you go through security.
This lightweight design features a push-button handle with wider fit to keep you comfortable as you take your carry-on along with you on trips. This pull handle has several stages and it is made from durable aluminum. For additional convenience, there is a retracting top handle, as well as a retracting side handle. This allows you to easily maneuver the carry on whenever you need to switch to other carrying options.
The TSA lock can be found on the side of the carry-on for easy access. This stylish design can enhance the look and convenience of your travel experiences.
- Durable Build. This carry on is designed to withstand impact and provide a convenient packing choice for a long time.
- Micro-Diamond Texture. This reinforces the polycarbonate exterior by providing additional resistance against scratches and impact.
- Built-in Lock. Convenient safety is provided by the built-in TSA lock that is located on the side.
- Visual Appeal. The design of the carry-on makes it stand out among other options, and provides more benefits.
Our Expert’s Take
“If you need a more durable carry-on, the Samsonite Omni Hardside Spinner is a great option. It’s also extremely lightweight and comes in a wide variety of colours.”
Best Under Seat
Traveler's Club Smart Carry-On Luggage
The Travelers Club Smart Carry-On Luggage is a highly convenient option that fits perfectly under the seats of most major airlines. This stylish option is made from durable 1680D polyester and designed to withstand long-term wear. On the side of the carry on, you’ll find a USB port. While the power bank and cord aren’t included, Canadian travelers can add them to convert the carry on into a practical charging device.
Also on the side of the carry-on, there is an open pocket offering quick and easy access to essential belongings you might need while traveling, such as passports or tickets. The interior of the carry on is fully lined, and there are several accessory pockets for more convenient use.
For easy transport, this option comes with a telescopic push-button trolley handle. It can also fit small laptops, making this an ideal choice for short trips, especially business-related ones. The top handle allows for easy carrying when you want to switch from the pull handle. On the front of the bag, there is a multi-use pocket that provides additional organization options. If you want, you can use this bag in addition to another carry-on bag or a suitcase by easily stacking them together.
- Convenient Design. This option is easy to carry and easy to store under the plane seat in front of you. It also adheres to most airline regulations.
- USB Port. The side USB port can provide additional practicality to travelling with this luggage.
- Handle Variety. There is a pull handle as well as a top handle, allowing you a range of carrying options.
- Durable Materials. The carry on is designed to withstand wear and to provide long-term benefits.
Our Expert’s Take
“This soft shell carry-on is perfect for storing under your seat on long flights. There are plenty of outside pockets for everything you need to access, too.”
Best for Business Travel
TravelPro Maxlite 5 Carry-On Luggage
Travelling through multiple stops requires versatile carry-on luggage. The best carry-on luggages in Canada for businessmen and businesswomen might be the TravelPro Maxlite 5. Its ergonomics make it easy to pull, lift overhead, and stuff in various luggage compartments. Even the zippers are designed for ease of use and increased strength.
One of the standout features is the ball-bearing wheels. While the Maxlite 5 carry-on luggage available to Canadians doesn’t have 360-degrees mobility, it has impressive wheels. They glide effortlessly across most terrains, are easier to pull and provide stability when turning. Likewise, they are quieter than other alternatives.
The front zippered pocket allows users to expand the carry-on luggage two extra inches. The pocket’s tapered shape helps the stability.
Although it doesn’t have a hard shell, it’s more than equipped to endure long trips. The exterior is water and stain-resistant, thanks to its Duraguard coating.
On the inside, the TravelPro Maxlite 5 has adjustable compression straps, soft lining, and an additional lid pocket. The design is sufficient for carrying clothes, shoes, documents, and a 15.6-inch laptop. And due to the hold-down strap design, it’s unlikely clothing items will wrinkle during your trip.
- Sturdy Handle. The carry-on provides extra support through the sturdy aluminum handle, which adds comfort via the rubber grip.
- Roomy Interior. The spacious inner compartment provides ample storage opportunity with compression straps to keep everything in place.
- Stable Transport. The sturdy ball-bearing wheels included with the carry-on make transportation easier, no matter the terrain.
- Duraguard Coating. This superior coating provides resistance against water and stains.
Our Expert’s Take
“The roomy interior makes this soft-shell luggage a great choice for longer trips. The exterior isn’t a hard shell, but it’s water and stain-resistant.”
Travelpro Maxlite Air Expandable Luggage
The Travelpro Maxlite Air Expandable Luggage can be a great choice for travelers seeking a lightweight option for air travel. Ideally suited to domestic trips, this option meets size restrictions for most major airlines. This hard shell carry-on comes with 8 spinner wheels with 360º maneuverability, offering a smooth glide for Canadians transiting through airports.
There are 2 carry handles for enhanced versatility, one located at the top and the other on the side. To add further carrying options, there is also a grip on the bottom of the carry-on, so you can get the most out of transporting this Travelpro in any way you wish. The hard shell on the exterior is made from polycarbonate, which provides extra protection against impact, keeping your belongings safe.
There is a spacious compartment inside the carry-on, and it can expand to provide additional room. For more organization options, the interior also includes zippered divider panels to keep your belongings neatly stored. There is an accessory pocket, and all the interior lining is made from recycled plastic bottles, which can appeal to the eco-conscious Canadian.
This option from Travelpro comes with a built-in TSA lock for extra protection as you travel. The stylish design of the exterior can add visual appeal to your traveling experience.
- Lightweight Design. The build of this carry-on is made from lightweight yet durable materials.
- Spacious Interior. The roomy compartment on the interior of the carry on can expand and provide additional space while packing.
- Smooth Glide. The 360º spinner wheels included with the carry on can provide a smooth traveling experience.
- Versatile Carrying. The side and top handles, along with the bottom grip, allow you to have various carrying options, depending on your preferences.
Our Expert’s Take
“This expandable option is great when you need more space for your travel essentials. The interior divider panels keep everything stored where you can easily find it.”
Best for Budget Canadian Shoppers
Wrangler Carry-On 20-Inch Luggage
You don’t have to pay a fortune for decent travel luggage. This Wrangler model in a Navy Blue colour is one of the best carry-on luggages in Canada for budget shoppers. Its hard shell ABS exterior offers protection while keeping the case relatively lightweight.
At 54.61 x 36.83 x 24.13 centimetres, it should meet air travel requirements for most airlines. However, since it’s a bulkier model, you might want to double-check before booking a flight or settling on this Wrangler carry-on luggage.
For the money, this luggage offers impressive storage capacity for clothes, gadgets, shoes, etc. It even includes compression straps to keep everything snug and prevent wrinkles. The top section of the luggage has a dividing zipper that can help store thinner items like passports, charging cables, documents, or even a shirt you don’t want to iron later.
The bottom of the carry-on luggage has standard spinner wheels with 360-degrees mobility. The plastic wheels also feature impact protection reinforcement to prevent damage from tipping. Although the luggage doesn’t have a side handle, the compact design and rugged exterior make it easy to grip and lift.
Just note that the case is on the heavier side at 2.9 kg. It’s better suited for bigger Canadian carry-on luggage users. Given its capacity and interior design features, this Wrangler carry-on luggage suitcase can accommodate two people and offer enough storage space for a weekend trip or a brief four-day vacation.
- Great Storage. This option comes with spacious storage capacity that can make packing and traveling a much smoother experience.
- Suitable for Two. The carry-on can accommodate the needs of two travelers going on a trip together.
- Robust Design. The ABS exterior adds sturdiness to the design, and keeps your belongings protected from some impact.
- Reinforced Wheels. The 360º spinner wheels are reinforced with impact protection technology to provide extra safety and stability.
Our Expert’s Take
“If you need a budget carry-on suitcase, the Wrangler 20” Carry-on Luggage is the perfect choice. It’s great for longer trips and better interior capacity.”
Comparing the Best Carry-On Luggage in Canada
|Best Overall||Travelers Club 20” Chicago Expandable Spinner Carry-On Luggage||50.8 x 33 x 20.32 cm||ABS||Hard Shell||Top and Side|
|Best Convenience||SwissGear Spinner Carry-On Luggage||35.56 x 22.86 x 54.61 cm||ABS||Hard Shell||Top|
|Best for Couples||Atlantic Tribute II||50.8 x 39.5 x 27.9 cm||Water-Resistant ABS Plastic||Hard Shell||Single|
|Best Durability||Samsonite Omni Hardside Spinner||24.13 x 38.1 x 55.88 cm||Polycarbonate||Hard Shell||Top and Side|
|Best Under Seat||Traveler's Club Smart Carry-On Luggage||35.56 x 21.59 x 38.1 cm||1680D Polyester||Soft Shell||Top|
|Best for Business Travel||TravelPro Maxlite 5 Carry-On Luggage||53.34 x 40.64 x 20.32 cm||Duracord-Coated Polyester||Soft Shell||Top and Side|
|Best Lightweight||Travelpro Maxlite Air Expandable Luggage||27.94 x 44.45 x 69.85 cm||Polycarbonate||Hard Shell||Top and Side|
|Best for Budget Canadian Shoppers||Wrangler Carry-On 20-Inch Luggage||54.61 x 36.83 x 24.13 cm||Thick ABS Interior Lining||Hard Shell||Top|
How We Selected the Best Carry-On Luggage for Canadians
Our goal is simple and has remained the same for years. We aim to keep track of current trends in consumer products and give people relevant advice to make smarter buying decisions. Many factors matter when buying the best carry-on luggage in Canada.
We give recommendations after evaluating several products in great detail. We collect data, make comparisons, analyze reviews, and look at multiple factors to determine the best use scenario for each carry-on luggage for Canadian consumers.
Here are some indicators we looked at when compiling the list of the best carry-on luggage in Canada.
- Size. Size matters significantly for carry-on luggage. It can determine its capacity, but also if it is permitted for airlines and other travel methods. Make sure to keep dimensions in mind as you choose your carry-on luggage.
- Material. The material can dictate the level of protection, durability, and longevity of carry-on luggage available in Canada. You want a suitcase that will last for many journeys, no matter how you are traveling.
- Comfort Features. We looked at handle styles, sizes, padding, and other perks that make carry-on luggage easy to pull and use. The easier it is to pull your luggage, the less hassle you’ll face at the airport.
- Design Features. The design is arguably as important as the dimensions. It indicates the number of compartments, zipper styles, organizational potential, etc.
Why Use Carry-On Luggage in Canada?
Canadians use bags, purses, backpacks, and giant suitcases to carry what they need from point A to B. But not all luggage is created equal, and not everyone has the same needs and preferences.
Of all the choices, carry-on luggage might be the most versatile. It can adapt to many situations, and you can find many designs that cater to your needs. Carry-on luggage combines flexibility with capacity and comfort so you can have the best trip without leaving anything behind.
How to Choose Carry-On Luggage for Canadians
If you want to ditch traditional suitcases or your backpack or enjoy more convenience while travelling, carry-on luggage is an ideal choice. They’re designed to provide the ultimate comfort when lugging around personal items regardless of your means of transport.
But how you travel, what you carry, and where you’re going can make specific carry-on luggage inefficient.
Knowing what to look for and how each characteristic can shape your experience is essential for buying the best carry-on luggage in Canada.
Carry-on luggage can have many uses. But many people buy them for air travel. Canadians who need carry-on luggage probably need it to fit overhead airplane compartments. That’s why size is crucial when purchasing carry-on luggage in Canada.
Bags must pass through cages, measuring tapes, or beat various measuring tools. If they don’t meet the requirements, passengers must check their bags, which can be expensive.
Naturally, airlines may impose different size requirements. However, a bag that fits within the 22 x 14 x 9-inch dimensions should be good for most major airlines. It’s important to note that the best carry-on luggage in Canada for air travel must meet those measurements when packed.
That’s something to remember when choosing the bag material and shape and stuffing it with items. Therefore, bags smaller than 22 x 14 x 9 inches are often preferred.
When checking carry-on luggage, you can opt for something bigger. Most airline carriers accept baggage up to 29 x 20.5 x 12.5 inches.
But the best carry-on luggage in Canada doesn’t have to meet airline requirements. Not everyone travels by plane, and carry-on luggage is still one of the most versatile methods of carrying items for a trip. Car trunks and trains can accommodate larger luggage. So, it’s essential to choose the size based on your method of transport and item requirements.
If you do plan on travelling by plane, make sure to check with the airline or airport you use most often. They may have different requirements for the size and weight of your carry-on luggage. Make sure to purchase luggage that fits these requirements for the best results.
Picking suitable material is crucial to protecting personal items and meeting carry-on luggage transport standards. For example, flexible materials can allow you to overstuff the luggage. That’s fine for Canadians who check carry-on luggage on airplanes or anyone who doesn’t fly.
But a more robust material with minimal elasticity is preferred for air travel. The best carry-on luggage in Canada for air travel should have a material that doesn’t bulge.
The material choice is situational, like everything else about carry-on luggage. Waterproofing isn’t necessary but highly recommended in all situations. A thicker, more durable exterior shell is recommended when travelling with fragile items and electronic devices. A thicker shell leads to increased durability and better protection for your items.
On the other hand, a more elastic or flexible bag can help you fit more inside the luggage. The give on the sides can be critical if you need to pack a little bit more. Keep this in mind as you shop for the best luggage in Canada.
While carry-on luggage is easy to move, some can be heavy, even when empty. Ideally, you wouldn’t want weighty carry-on luggage if you don’t need extra protection for your items. You might also consider possible airline maximums when buying carry-on luggage in Canada.
Meeting the dimension requirements while surpassing the weight limit will require you to check the luggage. And depending on the weight, it can cost a lot.
Having lightweight carry-on luggage is also a matter of convenience. Although it has rollers, dragging along a few extra pounds won’t be easy or comfortable for everyone.
The goal of buying carry-on luggage for Canadians is to get the most comfort possible, but that depends on several features—for example, the wheel mount style. Having 360-degree wheel mounts means you can pull the luggage around anywhere. It also prevents tipping when changing directions and is less punishing on the wrists.
Having dual carry handles can help. Sometimes you may need to carry the luggage like a suitcase. In addition, two handles make it easier to lift carry-on luggage in overhead compartments, taller car trunks, etc.
Some Canadian carry-on luggage buyers may also require cushioned handles. The better the padding, the easier it is to lug your items in airports, on sidewalks, up the stairs, etc.
Other users may prefer longer telescoping handles. Ideally, the handle should come up to your waist. It puts your arm in a comfortable position and makes pulling and turning easier. While shorter users can get away with less, tall users need longer telescoping handles to avoid backaches.
Few carry-on luggage designs are simplistic these days. The best carry-on luggage in Canada for air travel must have a few exterior pockets and compartments. It makes accessing in-flight items straightforward and efficient.
A flat document pouch may interest people who need to read various materials on business trips. An electronics pouch isn’t hard to find, but its quality can differ. Extra padding for a gadget pouch is preferred, as is an exterior position.
Some carry-on luggage available in Canada comes with umbrella clips and extra gear straps. Neither are mandatory, but they can increase your quality of life and help you carry more gear and accessories easily.
Lastly, you may consider the internal organization of the compartments. A few dedicated interior pouches or compartments for books, shoes, clothes, gadgets and other items can help you pack faster and more efficiently.
Finding the best carry-on luggage in Canada may come down to additional considerations.
- Brand. Choosing carry-on luggage in Canada from a top manufacturer can give you peace of mind. Premium manufacturers tend to have more efficient designs, use better materials, and ensure longer durability.
- Warranty. Carry-on luggage can take a lot of punishment, especially when checked on an airplane or when travelling through bad weather and harsh terrain. Having a more extended warranty may help offset damage from wear and tear. Another important aspect is the policy. Not all manufacturers cover airline luggage damages. That could be a vital consideration when buying carry-on luggage in Canada for air travel.
- Reviews. Checking user reviews is always a good idea, no matter what you buy. Reading what people with similar needs went through can help you make a more informed decision.
- Dedicated water pouch. An easy-access water pouch can be great for carry-on luggage. However, you might not want one if your goal is to take the luggage with you on a plane.
- Built-in charger. Embedding technology in modern luggage is common practice these days. A built-in charger or battery can help keep your gadgets alive during long trips.
- Hidden compartments. If you lose your carry-on luggage or it gets stolen, chances are you won’t get back precious items and documents. But secret compartments still help you separate certain items from the rest and may even offer faster access to passports, cash, etc.
- Ventilation. Waterproof carry-on luggage for Canadians is excellent for protecting your items. But stuffing luggage without opening it for days can cause your things to get a musty smell. Tiny air vents or mesh panels create ventilation and can keep your clothes fresh.
- Laundry bag. Some carry-on luggage comes with a removable laundry bag. That can be a great feature if you expect to do some laundry on your trip. It can also help when you have no means of doing laundry and lack something to store your dirty clothes without affecting other items. Removable laundry bags can help keep the smell in and are compatible with washing machines.
- Locks. Not everyone needs to lock their carry-on luggage if they keep it close. But it can offer extra protection and peace of mind. Just be mindful of where you’re travelling. The lock should be compatible with master keys, such as those used by the TSA. Otherwise, airline security agents might break the lock to inspect the luggage.
How to Safely Use Carry-On Luggage in Canada
It may seem that anyone can figure out how to use carry-on luggage efficiently. But there are some safety tips to keep in mind for maximizing the service life and protecting your items.
- Wrap carry-on luggage yourself if you plan on checking it on your next flight. It may save you a few bucks, and you can ensure it’s adequately protected from scratching and tearing.
- Familiarise yourself with the 3-1-1 rule. Most airlines won’t let you carry anything over a quart-sized bag with gels, creams, liquids, etc. Furthermore, each item must not contain more than 3.4 ounces. That said, you may want to avoid storing any liquids in carry-on luggage to prevent spills.
- Always keep a close eye on your carry-on luggage to deter thieves.
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions before cleaning the bag. Not all carry-on luggage materials are friendly to synthetic cleaning products.
- Lock the telescoping handle in a position that puts minimum strain on your arm and wrist. Usually, that means getting the handle up to the same level as your waist.
- Beware of special airline restrictions besides the usual involving guns, chemicals, ammunition, alcohol, weapons, flammable liquids, etc.
- Try to lug the carry-on luggage at an angle to prevent tipping and make it easier to pull.
Frequently Asked Questions
Carry on luggage is becoming increasingly popular, with people opting out of paying expensive checked luggage fees on airlines and packing lighter than before. Choosing carry on luggage is a great choice for those who wish to keep their belongings with them at all times and save some money. Carry on luggage is also great for those travelling by car, as you can easily fit more suitcases in the vehicle compared to large checked size bags.
Many Canadians travel with family, including children, and it can be tricky figuring out which carry on luggage is best for them. While some opt for child-size luggage, most people choose standard-size carry on luggage for their children that is ultra lightweight and has spinner wheels for easy mobility. The Travelpro Maxlite Air Expandable Luggage is a good choice for kids, as it is one of the lightest and easiest to move on the market.
Those who are flying should always check the individual airline’s policies before heading to the airport with their carry on luggage. Each airline will have specific policies in place, which can vary significantly. For Canadians who are headed to an international destination, the rules on carry-on baggage are even more restrictive, so it is always important to review them before traveling.
Carry on luggage ranges in cost depending on brand, style and material. Typically, users can expect to pay between $80 to several hundred dollars. The more durable the material and high-quality features like sturdy wheels, USB ports and packing compartments, the higher the cost of luggage will go. Those who travel often and think they will be getting a lot of use out of their carry on luggage may want to consider a superior model that will last longer, even if at a higher initial cost.
Many Canadians use carry on luggage for day trips, whether by car or plane. For business travellers who need a smaller bag that looks professional, we think the Travelers Club Smart Carry-On Luggage is an ideal choice. This small carry on luggage will fit right under the seat on planes or is easy to carry in the car or on trains. You can easily pack everything you need overnight without the bulk of a larger carry on suitcase.
Carry on luggage can last for many years with proper care and handling. Those who do not check their carry on luggage will find that their suitcase will last longer due to not being roughly handled on conveyor belts or being tossed around by airport workers. Always gently place your luggage on the ground if it has wheels, and examine the handles of suitcases and duffles on a regular basis. If your carry on luggage comes with a warranty, ensure registration if applicable and keep all receipts in case you need to file a claim.
Spinner wheel on carry on luggage is becoming more and more standard, and most of them have a full 360-degree rotation. Choosing a suitcase with spinner wheels ensures smoother pulling and easier maneuvering, especially in busy airports or crowded cities. Canadians with mobility issues will benefit from luggage with spinner wheels, as it is less likely to have to carry or forcefully move their suitcase.