Many Canadians struggle with staying cool throughout the night and have difficulty sleeping comfortably due to overheating. Whether your bedding retains heat or you naturally sleep hot, choosing a pillow with excellent temperature control is essential. Our professional team of researchers and testers tried the best cooling pillows available in Canada to find the best ones to recommend.
All of the pillows on our list today were tested for temperature control, firmness, loft adjustability and materials. Each tester on our team tried multiple pillows for an extended amount of time to evaluate each product fairly. Only the best pillows that we tried made it into our review today. Here are our choices for the best cooling pillows in Canada of 2023.
Best Cooling Pillows for Canadians in 2023
- Best Overall: The Hush Hybrid Pillow
- Best Hybrid Pillow: The Silk & Snow Pillow
- Best for All Sleeping Positions: Casper Essential Cooling Pillow
- Best Down Alternative: Canadian Down & Feather Company Gel Microfiber Down Alternative Pillow
- Best Temperature Regulation: Benji Cooling Pillow Set
- Best Budget: Douglas Cooling Gel Pillow
- Best for Allergies: Endy Memory Foam Pillow
- Best Adjustable Pillow: Polysleep Pillow
- Best Firm Pillow: Simons Cooling Memory Foam Pillow
Why Did We Choose These Cooling Pillows in Canada?
Pillows are one of the most integral parts of your sleeping experience, so we wanted to get it right. We approached the selection process by looking at various performance issues, including the most important: temperature control. We also examined the firmness, loft, materials, and adjustability of each pillow on our list. Here’s why each of the best cooling pillows in Canada made it onto our list.
The Hush Hybrid Pillow is a clear winner for the best cooling pillow in Canada. This pillow has an adjustable fill and a cover infused with Hush Iced technology that keeps even the hottest sleepers cool night after night.
Those seeking a pillow with a soft, adjustable loft with a firmer core will enjoy the Silk & Snow Silk Pillow, our favourite hybrid cooling pillow in Canada. This pillow features plush microfibre outer fill, surrounding an inner layer of memory foam that can be adjusted to your preferred loft.
While some pillows are great for specific sleeping positions, the Casper Essential Cooling Pillow works great no matter how you sleep. This pillow is ideal for those who often change positions throughout the night or are just looking for a great all-around pillow that will work for everyone.
The Canadian Down & Feather Company Gel Microfiber Down Alternative Pillow provides the best down alternative pillows to Canadians. Made with a microfiber fill slightly denser than down, the high-quality polyester mimics the plushness of down while still remaining easy to care for and hypoallergenic. This pillow is also perfect for all sleep positions.
The Benji Cooling Pillow Set provides Canadians with the best temperature regulation. The unique blend of cooling gel fibres allows for temperature regulation while drawing heat away from the body. This pillow is available in a set of two and is perfect for all sleeping positions.
As the pillow with the best cooling properties on our list today, the Douglas Cooling Gel Pillow is certain to keep even the hottest of sleepers comfortable. From its ice yarn cooling cover to the heat-dissipating gel pad, those who live in warm climates or naturally sleep hot will love this pillow.
Infused with charcoal and hypoallergenic materials, the Endy Memory Foam Pillow is a great all-foam cooling pillow that is ideal for those with allergies. This pillow is comfortable for all positions and features ventilated foam to promote healthy air while sleeping.
Canadians seeking a pillow that has superior adjustability should consider the Polysleep Pillow. With multiple inner layers of foam that can be removed, added, mixed, and matched, you can change the pillow’s loft from 2” to 9”.
The Simons Cooling Memory Foam Pillow is a firm pillow that is best suited for Canadians who need extra support for their neck and shoulders. Ideal for side sleepers or those with aches and pains, this pillow has excellent pressure relief as well as a unique cooling pad within the pillow to keep sleepers cool all night long.
The Hush Hybrid Pillow
It's Great For:
Waking up overheated and sweaty is a common occurrence, and often your pillow is the culprit. We chose the Hush Hybrid Pillow as our favourite cooling pillow in Canada; with its unique custom loft and Hush Iced technology, this pillow is great for all Canadians looking for a new pillow.
The cover of this pillow is made from eco-conscious viscose bamboo, one of the most naturally cooling fabrics you can find. This cover actively wicks away heat and moisture to keep you sleeping fresh and dry. This cover can be machine washed and dried, making it a great choice for those with seasonal or dust allergies or those who have sensitive skin. Under the cover, the pillow’s shell is infused with their unique Hush Iced technology, which stays cool to the touch and reduces temperatures for even the hottest sleepers.
The mix of vegan microfibre down and shredded memory foam within the pillow create a supportive and softly dense fill. This foam blend can be adjusted by simply removing and adding to create a perfect loft. The shredded memory foam is airy and cool, and Canadians who sleep warm will not struggle with being too hot or sweaty.
For those who travel often and want to take their Hush Hybrid Pillow with them, each pillow includes a small storage bag that can double as a travel pillow. This is a great place to store extra fill or take your Hush pillow with you on a plane or train.
The Hush Hybrid Pillow comes in a standard size, which will work for most Canadians. There is a 30-night sleep trial where you can test out the pillow to make sure it is the right fit for you, and if not, you can easily return it. This pillow is a great overall cooling pillow with many features that will have you sleeping comfortably cool night after night.
- Cooling Cover. Made from viscose bamboo, this cover is eco-conscious and helps naturally keep you cool throughout the night. For accidental spills or regular cleaning, this cover is removable and can be machine washed.
- Hush Iced Shell. The shell of this pillow is infused with Hush Iced Technology, actively working to reduce and stabilize body temperatures, giving you the coolest sleep possible.
- Blended Fill. Inside the Hush Hybrid Pillow is a blend of vegan microfibre fill and shredded memory foam that can be adjusted to your preferred loft.
- Travel Bag. Every Hush Hybrid Pillow comes with a small bag that can act as storage for your extra fill or a travel pillow. This is a convenient place to keep all of your extra fill clean and ready to go back into your pillow.
Our Expert’s Take
“This eco-conscious pillow was great for keeping our testers extremely cool night after night. Our testers loved the included travel pillow that came with the pillow.”
Best Hybrid Pillow
The Silk & Snow Pillow
It's Great For:
The Silk & Snow Pillow is a hybrid pillow that combines a fluffy outer fill with firmer inner memory foam. It’s our favourite hybrid cooling pillow available in Canada.This pillow is great for all sleeping positions, and side sleepers will appreciate the ability to have a pillow with a high loft that is also cloud-like.
Made of 100% cotton, the Silk & Snow Pillow cover is super breathable, allowing warm air to pass easily through and away from your face while sleeping. Naturally cooling, those who sleep warm will benefit from the cotton cover that wicks heat and moisture away, so you won’t overheat or wake up sweaty in the morning. This cover can be easily zipped off for easy machine washing.
The middle of the Silk & Snow Pillow is a hybrid blend of outer and inner fill. The core of the pillow is made of shredded new memory foam. Using new, premium foam, rather than older recycled foam, holds up better and won’t break down as quickly as some other pillow fill will. The memory foam can be removed and added as often as needed for those wanting to customize their pillow loft. Side sleepers and those with neck and back pain will appreciate the ability to customize the loft, often needing to have a higher, more supportive height for their pillow.
Surrounding the inner memory foam is a fill made of down-like microfibre. This fluffy fill is plush and soft, making you feel like you are sleeping on a cloud. While the inner core provides support and firmness, the outer layer’s comfort will help you fall asleep quickly and comfortably.
The pillow comes in standard and king sizes, which will work with most all bedding and mattresses you may have. It includes a 100-night sleep trial, which is longer than most pillows on the market. The Silk & Snow Pillow is a great purchase for anyone seeking a hybrid, adjustable pillow that is super plush and comfortable.
- Cotton Cover. Made of 100% cotton, the cover of the Silk & Snow Pillow is airy and cool, perfect for anyone sleeping moderately warm.
- Memory Foam Core. Those seeking a customized loft will benefit from this inner core of the pillow, which is filled with adjustable, shredded memory foam.
- Microfibre Outer Fill. Surrounding the centre of the pillow is a soft and cloud-like microfiber fill that will have you falling asleep quickly and peacefully, night after night.
- Easy Washing. It’s simple to was this cover, making it easy to clean up after the occasional spill or to ward off allergy flares.
Our Expert’s Take
“This hybrid pillow was fluffy yet firm, providing a great night’s sleep. Our testers loved the ability to adjust the loft and found the cotton cover to be nice and cool.”
Best for All Sleeping Positions
Casper Essential Cooling Pillow
It's Great For:
The Casper Essential Cooling Pillow is a great all-around pillow, and our pick for the best cooling pillow in Canada for all sleeping positions. Whether you aren’t sure about your preferred loft, change positions throughout the night or are shopping for guest room bedding, this pillow will have you covered.
Made of 52% polyester and 48% polyethylene, the Casper Essential Cooling Pillow cover is incredibly breathable and soft and a perfect base for great sleep. The cotton in the fabric keeps the pillow airy and increases airflow, while the polyethylene is cool to the touch and keeps even the warmest sleepers comfortable. The cover is not removable or washable, so a pillow protector should be used with it to keep it clean.
Inside the Casper Essential Cooling Pillow is a fill made of polyester microfibre. This fill is fluffy and soft and is excellent for those seeking a plush and comfortable pillow. This pillow uses chambered construction to separate the fill into smaller pockets and prevent the shifting and bunching that can occur with a fibre-filled pillow. The pillow features a 2” gusset, which adapts and stretches to accommodate all sleeping positions and those needing extra support.
This pillow is available in Standard size only, which may be a consideration for those seeking a King size pillow. It includes a 30-night sleep trial, so you can test the pillow out and make sure that it is the right one for you. The Casper Essential Cooling Pillow is great for anyone looking for a budget-friendly cooling pillow that will work for all sleeping positions.
- Cooling Cover. Made of 52% polyester and 48% polyethylene, this cover keeps air circulating, while the cool-to-the-touch fabric helps keep sleepers stay comfortable throughout the night without overheating.
- Fluffy Fill. Made of microfibre fill, this pillow is soft, plush and feels like your head is lying on a cloud. The fill is fluffy enough to keep you comfortable if you prefer a cooler, squishier pillow.
- Pocketed Construction. Inside the Casper Essential Cooling Pillow, the fill is distributed into chambers so the pillow won’t bunch or clump over time.
- Adaptable Gusset. With a 2” side gusset, this pillow will adapt and stretch to your offer loft, ensuring all sleeping positions will find comfort.
Our Expert’s Take
“This pillow was extra soft and fluffy and worked great for all sleeping positions. The cover of the pillow helped our testers stay cool night after night.”
Best Down Alternative
Canadian Down & Feather Company Gel Microfiber Down Alternative Pillow
It's Great For:
The Canadian Down & Feather Company Gel Microfiber Down Alternative Pillow is an excellent choice for Canadians looking for a synthetic alternative to down in their pillows. Made with a microfiber fill slightly denser than down, this high-quality polyester mimics the plushness of down while providing more support. The 300-thread count cotton shell prevents the fill from escaping while still allowing it to breathe.
Microfibre pillows are easy to keep clean and can be machine-washed at home—provided your machine is large enough—and dried on a low setting, unlike down and feather, which can be negatively impacted by water. Filling will re-loft completely after washing.
The box edge construction of the Canadian Down & Feather Company Gel Microfiber Down Alternative Pillow delivers a 2” gusseted edge which offers an even sleeping surface improving support and neck alignment. The synthetic microfibre is hypoallergenic, naturally resisting bacteria and allergens, and this pillow was tested for harmful materials and certified per the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX.
This pillow comes in sizes standard, queen, and king, and the medium fill means that this pillow is perfect for all sleeping positions. The Canadian Down & Feather Company Gel Microfiber Down Alternative Pillow also offers a 3-year guarantee against manufacturing defects, making it a wonderful choice for Canadians seeking a synthetic alternative to down.
- Gel Microfiber. The technically advanced microscopic synthetic fibres provide the luxury of down while remaining easy to care for and hypoallergenic.
- Box Edge Construction. The gusseted edge offers better support and neck alignment by delivering an even sleeping surface.
- Cotton Shell. The 100% cotton shell ensures the fill can breathe, while the 300-thread count means the fill is unable to escape.
- Easy Care. This pillow’s microfibre fill means it can be machine washed and dried at home, provided the machines are big enough to accommodate it.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Canadian Down & Feather Company Gel Microfiber Down Alternative Pillow delivers both comfort and quality, making it an ideal pillow for anyone seeking an alternative to down fill.”
Best Temperature Regulation
Benji Cooling Pillow Set
It's Great For:
Canadians who sleep hot are often uncomfortable through the night, leaving them to struggle to get a good night’s rest. The Benji Cooling Pillow could be the ideal solution to help ease those restless nights. Made with a blend of cooling gel-infused fibres designed to mimic the softness of down, these pillows draw heat away from the body. The sleeper is able to remain cool and comfortable for the entire night.
While the Benji Cooling Pillow’s unique blend of cooling gel fibres allows for temperature regulation and helps ensure sleepers rest more comfortably, the 300-thread count cotton shell also plays an important role in ensuring a comfortable sleep. Made with a medium fill, these pillows are ideal for all sleeping positions.
Benji Cooling Pillows are also hypoallergenic and boast an OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certification, meaning these pillows don’t contain any harmful materials or contaminants. They are easy to care for, as you can wash them in your machine at home.
Available in standard and king sizes, this premium pillow set includes two pillows and a 100-night sleep trial, which allows sleepers to try the pillows without risk. This is a wonderful, high-quality cooling pillow that delivers comfort to a wide range of sleepers.
- Cooling Gel Fibre Fill. The cooling gel-infused fibres not only provide temperature regulation, but the unique blend is designed to mirror the softness of down.
- Medium Fill. The medium fill ensures these pillows are ideal for all sleeping positions. It’s a great middle ground for most sleepers.
- Easy Care Instructions. These pillows are machine washable and made of wrinkle-free materials. You can wash the pillows as many times as needed, with minimal special care instructions.
- Cotton Shell. The 300-thread count cotton shell is perfect for those who sleep warm and appreciate comfort. The shell is smooth and works well with all of your favourite pillowcases.
Our Expert’s Take
“This pillow delivers a cool and comfortable sleep for those who sleep hot while still appealing to all sleep positions.”
Best for Hot Sleepers
Douglas Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pillow
It's Great For:
Canadians who sleep extra hot or like to keep their rooms warm will love the Douglas Cooling Gel Pillow, which is our pick for the best cooling pillow in Canada for extra hot sleepers. This pillow has great cooling features, a removable cover, and a low loft, which is great for back and stomach sleepers.
The Douglas Cooling Gel Pillow cover is made from a polyester and polyethene knit blend infused with unique CryoFusion Ice Yarn, which works hard at reducing and regulating the temperatures of even the hottest sleepers. This cover is machine washable and dryer safe, which is great for accidental spills and those who may have dust or seasonal allergies.
Within the pillow lies a slow-release memory foam that adapts and contours to your body as you sleep. The pillow is low loft and semi-firm, which is great for those who sleep on their back or stomach. Additionally, the Douglas Cooling gel Pillow has a heat-dissipating gel pad on one side of the pillow. For those seeking extra cooling, this side of the pillow will keep you from overheating and sweating. The other side stays temperature neutral for those wanting a moderately cool pillow.
The Douglas Cooling Gel Pillow comes in both Queen and King sizes, making it a fantastic option no matter what size bedding you are trying to fit. With each pillow, a 120-night sleep trial is included, which is the longest on our list today. This pillow is great for anyone seeking a low-loft pillow with extreme temperature control measures.
- CryoFusion Ice Yarn Cover. Made of polyester and polyethene, this knit blend fabric is infused with Douglas’ own Ice Yarn, which stays ice cool even in the warm summer months.
- Low Loft. Perfect for back and stomach sleepers, this low loft pillow is semi-firm and gives just the right amount of support.
- Cooling Gel Pad. Those who sleep extra hot will love the cooling gel pad, which is located on one side of the pillow, keeping you cool and dry.
- Easy Care. The cover of the Douglas Cooling Gel Pillow can be machine washed and dried, and the gel pad can be hand washed if needed.
Our Expert’s Take
“Our testers loved the ice-cool fabric of the pillow and the cooling gel pad that kept them from overheating even in the summer.”
Best for Allergies
Endy Memory Foam Pillow
It's Great For:
Canadians who suffer from seasonal allergies, dust allergies, or those who need cleaner air as they sleep will love how clean the Endy Memory Foam Pillow is. This pillow promotes the healthiest sleep possible and is our choice for the best cooling pillow in Canada for those with allergies. With excellent cooling properties and a firmer feel, this pillow is a good pick for many Canadians.
Made from 60% polyester and 40% bamboo knit jacquard, the cover of the Endy Memory Foam Pillow is soft and stretchy. This fabric blend helps reduce temperatures, even for those who sleep relatively warm. The sides of the cover have ventilated mesh panelling, allowing trapped air and heat to escape without leaving you hot overnight. The cover can be removed and machine washed with your regular bedding for easy cleaning and dust removal.
The inside of the pillow is made from responsive memory foam that adapts to any sleeping position and changes as you move throughout the night. Those seeking a firmer and more supportive pillow will benefit from the extra pressure relief and a higher loft that this pillow offers. This inner memory foam is infused with charcoal, which is antimicrobial and hypoallergenic. Those with allergies will appreciate the health benefits these properties offer and the ventilated holes within the foam that increase clean air throughout the night. The core of this pillow is great for those who sleep warm, as it keeps your temperature cool night after night.
The Endy Memory Foam comes in Standard and King sizes and includes a 60-night sleep trial to try the pillow out for yourself. This is a great cooling pillow for those who sleep moderately warm and need a healthy, clean pillow that will last for a long time.
- Cooling Cover. The pillow cover is made from a polyester and bamboo knit blend and features mesh siding, keeping sleepers cool throughout the night.
- Memory Foam Core. With a medium firm loft, this inner core of the pillow is made from quick-response memory foam and works great for any sleeping position.
- Infused Charcoal. Infused with charcoal, the memory foam within the pillow is hypoallergenic, cooling and antimicrobial, promoting healthy sleep.
- Easy to Wash. Easily zipped off and machine washable, those with allergies will love how easy it is to keep this pillow clean.
Our Expert’s Take
“Our testers loved how cool and comfortable this firm pillow was. Those with allergies benefited from the charcoal memory foam, as well as the ability to wash the cover regularly.”
Best Adjustable Pillow
The Polysleep Pillow
It's Great For:
Canadians who are interested in adjusting their pillow’s loft without the mess of shredded foam or fill will enjoy the Polysleep Pillow. This pillow is our pick for the best adjustable cooling pillow in Canada. The Polysleep features many different layers of foam that are easily mixed and matched to create a perfect loft, all while keeping sleepers cool night after night.
The cover of this pillow is made of 100% cotton, which promotes airflow and is naturally cool to the touch. Those who sleep warm will find this cover helps them stay temperature neutral throughout the night. The cover is entirely removable and can be machine washed and dried with your other bedding.
Helping this pillow stand out from others are foam layers that can be removed and added in as needed. Ranging in height from ¾” to 1”, these ventilated viscoelastic foam layers are soft and squishy. Feeling similar to traditional memory foam, the Polysleep pillow sleeps cooler and is more breathable than others. Mixing and matching the layers can change The entire pillow from 2” to 9”.
The Polysleep Pillow is available in Standard/Queen and King sizes and can be bundled in two packs for a discounted cost. Those who like extra pillows on their bed or who co-sleep will benefit from these savings. The Polysleep is a fantastic cooling pillow with unique adjustability that most Canadians will enjoy.
- Cotton Cover. The cover of the Polysleep Pillow is made from 100% breathable cotton. It sleeps nice and cool, so you don’t wake up overheated.
- Removable Foam. This pillow includes four removable foam layers that can change the pillow’s loft from 2” to 9” without the mess of shredded foam and fill.
- Ventilated Layers. Polysleep uses ventilated viscoelastic foam, which is breathable and sleeps cooler than traditional memory foam pillows.
- Easy Care. The cover of the pillow can be machine washed and dried as often as needed. There are no special instructions to follow, so it’s simple to wash your pillow.
Our Expert’s Take
“The pillow slept cool throughout the night and didn’t feel stuffy or warm. Our testers liked the adjustable foam layers that were easy to remove and add to get a custom loft.”
Best Firm Pillow
Simons Cooling Memory Foam Pillow
It's Great For:
For Canadians who are seeking a firm pillow with extra support and pressure relief for your neck and back, the Simons Cooling Memory Foam Pillow is an excellent choice. This pillow is our pick for the best firm cooling pillow you can buy in Canada and features a washable cover and added cooling gel pad.
The cover of the Simons Cooling Memory Foam Pillow is made from 100% polyester with a silky jacquard feel. Those who sleep warm will appreciate the temperature control features of the cover, keeping you cool without sweating or overheating. The cover is removable and can be machine washed for easy, regular cleaning.
Within the pillow is a firm polyurethane foam that is supportive and does a great job cushioning the neck and shoulders. While this pillow is good for all sleeping positions, it is ideal for those wanting a firmer loft. In addition to the memory foam, the Simons pillow includes a cooling gel pad, which can be removed and added as necessary and is great for changing seasons where you may not want as much coldness.
This is a queen-size pillow, which will work for most Canadian households. It does not include a sleep trial, but it can be returned if it is unused. This Simons Cooling Gel Memory Foam Pillow is a wonderful option for Canadians wanting a cooler night’s sleep while getting extra firm support.
- Silky Cover. Made of 100% silky jacquard polyester, this cover is cool and airy and helps reduce and regulate sleepers’ temperatures.
- Memory Foam Fill. The inner core of this pillow is made from polyurethane memory foam and is firm and supportive, great for those needing extra pressure relief for their neck.
- Cooling Gel Pad. Canadians who sleep hot will love the cooling gel pad, which is removable and washable, and reduces overheating and sweating.
- Easy Care. For each cleaning, the cover can be machine washed and dried, and the cooling gel pad can be hand washed.
Our Expert’s Take
“This pillow slept extremely cool, and our testers woke up sweat-free and comfortable. Our testers needing extra support liked the pillow’s firmness, which alleviated neck pain.”
Comparing the Best Cooling Pillows in Canada
|Category||Cooling Pillow||Fill Type||Cover||Adjustable||Available Sizes|
|Best Overall||The Hush Hybrid||Vegan Microfibre Down & Shredded Memory Foam||Viscose Bamboo||Yes||Standard|
|Best Hybrid Pillow||The Silk & Snow||Microfibre Fill & Shredded Memory Foam||100% Cotton||Yes||Standard, King|
|Best for All Sleeping Positions||Casper Essential||Polyester Microfibre Fill||52% Polyester, 48% Polyethylene||No||Standard|
|Best Down Alternative||Canadian Down & Feather Co Gel Microfibre||Microfibre||Cotton||No||Standard, Queen, King|
|Best Temperature Regulation||Benji Cooling Pillow||Cooling Gel Fibre||Cotton||No||Standard and King|
|Best Budget||Douglas Cooling Gel Pillow||High-Density Memory Foam||Polyester and Polyethylene Knit Blend||No||Queen, King|
|Best for Allergies||Endy Memory Foam||Bamboo Memory Foam||60% Polyester, 40% Bamboo||No||Standard, King|
|Best Adjustable||The Polysleep||Polysleep Viscoelastic Foam||100% Cotton||Yes||Standard, King|
|Best Firm||Simons Cooling Memory Foam||100% Polyester||100% Polyurethane Foam||No||Queen|
How We Tested These Cooling Pillows for Canadians
For years, we’ve followed the latest home, lifestyle, and sleep trends to help improve the lives of our fellow Canadians. From mattresses to small kitchen appliances, exercise equipment, and beyond, we’re committed to offering the best recommendations for your home and life. All our recommendations begin at our test lab, where we put each item through rigorous, customized testing. Then, we send each product to our team of testers for detailed feedback. Then, we compare both sets of data to arrive at our list of recommendations.
As we evaluated the best cooling pillows in Canada, we extensively tested the following features.
- Loft. Loft refers to the height of the pillow, or how tall it is. A loftier pillow might be denser, but it also raises your head off the bed to a greater degree than a low-loft option. This can affect how comfortably you sleep depending on your sleeping position. We looked for options with adjustable lofts or a range of options to help you choose.
- Fill. The inside of the pillow matters. Whether it’s memory foam, shredded foam, or faux down, the interior can determine how breathable and cool a mattress is. We chose only the best fill materials to recommend to you.
- Cover Materials. The cover of the pillow can make the pillow more breathable or comfortable. We looked for a variety of cover materials, including cooling materials to help the pillow reduce heat throughout the night.
- Firmness. The firmness you prefer is personal, but it’s tied to your sleeping position. We looked at a variety of firmness options to try and present more options for you to choose from.
How to Choose a Cooling Pillow for Canadians
Choosing a cooling pillow can help you sleep better, but it can be difficult. If you sleep hot, you may think that a cooler pillow won’t help, but it can actually add quite a bit of temperature control to your sleep environment! Here are some tips and options you should look for before you decide which pillow you want to purchase.
Loft and firmness are two of the most important factors to consider when choosing a pillow. Though they are different factors, they are tied together and can represent how comfortable you’ll find a pillow. The loft and firmness you should choose are tied to your sleeping position.
- Stomach sleepers need a low loft. Pillows for stomach sleepers should be soft and less dense than other types, as it helps keep stomach sleepers’ heads and necks in proper alignment.
- Side sleepers should go for a high loft, with a firmer feel. Dense pillows are more susceptible to heat, so make sure to choose wisely. If you need a dense, firm, high-loft pillow, choose one with the most effective cooling methods you can find.
- Back sleepers should go for a medium loft and firmness. However, back sleepers tend to be a bit more choosy than other sleeping positions due to a variety of factors associated with back sleeping. Some sleepers may fall outside of these preferences.
The loft should be one of the most important things you consider before you purchase any pillow, especially a cooling pillow. Make sure to pay close attention to your ideal pillow loft before you make a decision.
Just like mattresses, pillows come in a variety of firmnesses to help sleepers get the best possible rest. Firmer pillows can be more supportive, but trap heat more than softer options. Soft pillows can be more uncomfortable if you don’t sleep on your stomach.
One of the best things you can do if you are unsure about your preferred firmness is to choose a pillow with adjustable fill. Some pillows come with some extra fill and can be zipped open to add or remove fill if you need to.
If you aren’t completely sure about your preferred firmness, you should look at adjustable pillows. Otherwise, choose the firmness that best aligns with your sleeping positions. As a reminder, those are:
- Stomach sleepers prefer soft pillows.
- Side sleepers prefer firmer pillows.
- Back sleepers prefer medium pillows.
Keep in mind that these are only suggestions. They can still make a good starting point if you are unsure about what you prefer. You can always choose an adjustable pillow if you aren’t sure which firmness option you prefer. These pillows allow you to add or remove fill to find the perfect feel for you.
The inside of the pillow matters a great deal when you’re considering which pillow to purchase. There are a few types of fill that can help reduce heat inside the pillow overall, but it’s important to choose the one that you think might work best for you.
Here’s a quick run-down of the types of fill materials you may discover as you search for a pillow.
- Memory Foam. Memory foam pillows are great for support. Like memory foam mattresses, memory foam pillows contour to your body and feel like they’re offering great support in all the right places. However, it’s usually very hot. Shredded memory foam is more comfortable on the whole, and it might be infused with materials that help neutralize heat (such as cooling gel).
- Latex. Latex pillows are more breathable than memory foam options overall. However, this all-natural material can feel different. It’s more responsive than memory foam, creating a bouncier surface overall.
- Down and Alternative Downs. Down and alternatives that are meant to act like down are breathable but can be a little warmer than you’d like. Down is soft and fluffy, but it’s also very good at insulating (which is why it’s used in so many comforters and duvets). Down alternatives are usually less expensive and cooler than real down. These options are made with synthetic materials instead of animal products, too.
Keep in mind that some pillows (especially shredded memory foam ones) may be adjustable. This means that there’s a smaller bag within the pillow that holds the fill, and you can unzip the bag and change the fill level to your liking. If this is something you’re interested in, look for pillows with adjustable fill. Usually, these are shredded memory foam. Investing in an adjustable pillow can help you find the perfect loft for you. If you aren’t sure what you like, an adjustable pillow can help you find the option you prefer.
The cover materials can change the way the pillow feels. Of course, most Canadians use pillowcases with their cooling pillows. We recommend using pillowcases, too. That’s because using a pillowcase can help reduce wear and tear on your pillow. Since most pillows can’t be put into the washing machine, you must protect the pillow from common issues like sweat and humidity.
However, cover materials can affect how breathable your pillow is. Some pillows use cooling mesh to produce maximum airflow, while others use comfortable cotton. Some companies even use proprietary materials to help their pillows feel cooler.
Take a close look at the cover materials when choosing a cooling pillow, as it can make quite a difference.
But how do cooling pillows cool you as you sleep? There are a few different methods that your pillow might use. The two most popular (and effective) cooling options include cooling gel pads and PCM, or Phase-Changing Material.
PCM is made to feel cool no matter what. Once it reaches a certain temperature, it works to wick away moisture and neutralize heat throughout the night. On the other hand, cooling gel pads can keep you cooler initially, but the effects tend to be less pronounced throughout the night. However, they are sometimes removable (or you may have the ability to turn the pillow over if it’s a little too cold).
Memory foam pillows usually use cooling pads. They work fine, especially if you move around a lot during the night.
There are other cooling methods available, but these are the most effective. Some materials are simply more breathable, which may work if you’re only slightly warm during the night.
Pillows with adjustable fill, however, provide better breathability throughout the core. The covers are usually more breathable, too. If you don’t overheat too much during the night, you can choose a pillow with adjustable fill to provide cooling features.
There are a few different pillow sizes that might be available when you are purchasing your cooling pillow. There are standard pillows (usually 16” x 24”) or King pillows (usually 16” x 32”). Further, some pillows might have custom dimensions based on their construction. If you want to buy pillowcases for your pillows, make sure to check that the dimensions line up appropriately.
Additional Considerations for Cooling Pillows
It can be challenging to know how to care for your pillow. While some pillows are machine washable, many of the high-end pillows we recommended shouldn’t be submerged in water. Different materials, covers, and cooling methods might change the way you should care for your pillows.
However, different pillows may have different care instructions based on the materials used. Each pillow should have care instructions printed on the tag, or with the documentation that comes with the pillow. If you can’t find that information, checking online is always useful. Taking care of your pillow properly can ensure that they last a long time.
Improper washing can also void your warranty, so make sure to follow the instructions as closely as possible.
While most of the pillows on our list come as a single pillow, there are a few that come in larger packages. Others may have the option to order two pillows in a combined package. Even if you usually sleep with two of the inexpensive pillows from big box retailers, it’s best to start with one memory foam pillow (or any of the other types of pillows on our list). That’s because the pillows are specifically designed to offer support and loft in a single pillow.
If you find that you need another, you can always purchase one once you’ve decided that you like it. Packages with two pillows are usually meant for couples, with one pillow for each person. Keep this in mind as you order, and make sure that you choose the correct package size before you check out.
Some sleep-focused companies offer a sleep trial that allows you to see how you like the pillow before you decide to keep it. While other retail companies may not offer sleep trials, companies that make mattresses, bed sheets, duvets, and bed frames usually offer some type of sleep trial. Since you can’t try the pillow before you bring it home, this allows you to test it to see if it works for you.
Sleep trials for pillows don’t last as long as those for mattresses. Usually, a sleep trial for a pillow can be up to 60 days. It takes about 30 days for your body to get used to a new pillow, especially if you’re switching from inexpensive retail store pillows. You should choose a pillow with the longest possible sleep trial, which will give you time to make sure that the pillow is right for you.
While most sleep trials offer similar terms, you should always check the website for more information about the company’s sleep trial policies. Some companies won’t accept pillow returns in a certain condition, while others may require a fee to return the pillow. Knowing the terms of the sleep trial can help you choose a pillow that will work well for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
For Canadians who tend to wake up hot and sweaty, and using a cooling pillow may be the key to a great night’s sleep. Each pillow on our list today uses different ways to keep sleepers cool. Whether it’s the fabric used in the cover, breathable memory foam or cooling gel pads, there are a wealth of options to keep comfortable if you tend to overheat as you sleep.
Many of the pillows on our list today are considered adjustable pillows. Adjustable pillows mean the user can adjust the pillow’s loft right at home by removing either shredded memory foam, fibre fill or foam slabs to achieve the correct loft and support. These pillows are universal, so you can find your perfect comfort level no matter how you sleep.
The majority of the pillows in our review today are great for all sleeping positions, but those who sleep on their side may need additional loft and support. Our favourite pillows for side sleepers are the Silk & Snow Pillow and the Polysleep Pillow. Each of these has great support and the ability to customize the loft for added comfort around your neck and shoulders.
If you are prone to allergies (seasonal or otherwise), it’s best to choose a cooling pillow that is hypoallergenic and antimicrobial. These pillows can help reduce reactions to common allergens like dust and bacteria. If you are allergic to down or feathers, choose a down alternative pillow instead.
Cooling pillows usually last a long time. However, the cooling effect that you feel when you first lie down is limited. That’s because the cooling materials will quickly absorb your body heat. While the instant cooling effect doesn’t last throughout the night, cooling pillows still wick away excess heat and moisture, so you’ll still get cooling benefits all night long.