Mattress shopping can be stressful, especially when you aren’t sure who to trust. You need to make sure that you are getting complete and accurate information before purchasing a mattress, and we can help! Our team of testers has reviewed hundreds of mattresses over several years to determine which options are best for Canadians. We’ve tested the best mattresses in Canada to bring you a comprehensive list of our best picks.
We reviewed each mattress critically, putting them through a gauntlet of tests to determine how they performed in various areas. These comparisons allowed us to choose the mattresses that worked best for you. Below, we’ll look at some of the best unbiased Canadian mattress reviews of 2023.
Unbiased Mattress Reviews for Canadians As of September 2023
- Best Overall – Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress
- Best Pocket Coils – Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
- Best Hybrid Mattress – The Endy Hybrid Mattress
- Best Specialty Foam – Octave Horizon Mattress
- Best All-Foam Mattress – The Douglas Mattress
- Best Cooling Mattress – Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress
- Best Organic Mattress – Silk & Snow Organic Mattress
- Best for Couples – The Endy Mattress
- Best for Back Pain – The Noa Mattress
- Best for Allergies – Polysleep Origin Mattress
Why Did We Choose These Unbiased Mattresses for Canadians this September?
We evaluated each of these mattresses (and many more that didn’t make the cut) in our test lab. During this process, they began to stand out to us in different ways. Some mattresses were best in one performance area over others, and this became the reason they made it onto our list. Here’s why each of our unbiased Canadian mattress reviews made it onto our list.
Need a plush, comfortable Euro-top to sink into after a long day? The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress can provide just that. With strong zoned coil support and a second layer of micro-coils for additional support, this mattress provides luxurious sleep for most Canadians.
The best pocket coils in Canada are in the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress. This option provides comfort and support to most sleeping positions, with transparently-sourced materials made right here in Canada. This mattress offers great cooling, pressure relief, and more.
The Endy Hybrid Mattress, on the other hand, is the best hybrid mattress in Canada. This option uses firm pocket coils with zoned support features. It works to keep you comfortable and aligned, with superior support exactly where you need it.
The Octave Horizon Mattress is the best specialty foam option in Canada. It uses a diverse selection of foams to provide a sleep experience that is completely unique, leading to unparalleled outcomes in every performance category.
The Douglas Mattress is the best all-foam mattress in Canada. A combination of eco-conscious foams, responsiveness, and cooling materials elevate this foam mattress above the other options on the Canadian market.
The Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress is a great choice for those who sleep hot. This mattress employs several different cooling options, including phase-changing materials, to provide you with a cooler sleep overall. This mattress can reduce night sweats and keep you asleep longer.
Eco-conscious Canadians will love the Silk & Snow Organic Mattress. This firmer mattress provides support and cooling features without the chemicals usually found in memory foam mattresses. A supportive coil layer and natural, organic materials put this mattress in a league of its own.
If you are tired of waking up to your partner’s tossing and turning, you may find relief with the Endy Mattress. This all-foam option features Endy’s well-documented motion isolation, which traps motion and prevents any transfer to the other side of the bed.
The Noa Mattress is a firmer option that uses every available material to create a unique feel. This mattress is supportive and comfortable, making it ideal for those who regularly suffer from back pain, pressure points, and overall discomfort in the morning.
The Polysleep Origin Mattress is the best choice for those with allergies. The foam used in this mattress is both antimicrobial and hypoallergenic, so you can sleep comfortably without any allergy flares. It also provides great airflow, superior support, and more due to unique and luxurious materials.
The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress
It's Great For:
The Logan & Cove Frontier mattress is the best luxury mattress in Canada. This comfortable mattress uses a quilted Euro-top cover filled with hollow-fibre fill and gel-infused foam, which is quilted to the cover to provide additional comfort and pressure relief. This section isn’t separate from the rest of the mattress, easily blending into the layers below. The Euro-top is covered with a premium CryoFushion cover, which uses nanofibres to remove heat from your sleeping space.
The first layer of foam under the Euro-top is ecoLuxe Cooling Gel Foam. EcoLuxe is made with less carbon than standard cooling gel foams, making it a great choice for eco-conscious Canadians. This layer helps cushion your knees, hips, and shoulders, reducing pressure points and helping to remove heat throughout the night. This layer is great for those who sleep hot or often deal with pressure points.
Below this is a layer of 1” Aeroduct micro coils. These adaptive coils have a small profile to help conform to your body. They are individually pocketed and don’t transfer motion, meaning you’ll get the best support and breathability possible. Better yet, this layer rests on a bed of premium Elastex foam. Elastex is a hypoallergenic latex alternative infused with soy, which provides great pressure relief, balancing, and responsiveness.
Finally, the coil layer is 9” tall and features pocket coils arranged in 5 comfort zones. These coils compress individually to reduce motion and provide customized support. Thinner coils under your shoulders and knees help reduce strain on joints, while the thicker coils under the hip and lumbar provide the alignment and support you need. The coils around the edges of this layer are reinforced, so you can sit or sleep at the side of the bed without any sinking or sliding.
The Logan & Cove Frontier mattress is compatible with slatted, platform, box, and adjustable foundations. You can try this mattress for a full year (365 days) after your purchase to make sure it’s the right option for you. After that, you’ll have a 15-year warranty to protect against any defects.
- Up to 2,920 Coils. Between its two coil layers, the Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress boasts up to 2,920 coils in its King sizes. The Twin mattress has the fewest coils, at a respectable 1,372 coils.
- Zoned Support. The coil layer features five zones to promote alignment and support. Firmer coils in the centre of the mattress support your lower back.
- EcoLuxe Cooling Foam. EcoLuxe cooling gel foam uses less carbon than traditional cooling foam. It helps remove excess heat, so you can sleep comfortably without night sweats.
- Plush Euro-Top Section. The Logan & Cove Frontier uses a Euro-top made with breathable hollow-fibre fill and quilted gel-infused foam to provide a plush, cool surface to sink into.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress is great for those who need a plush sleeping surface and better temperature control. The medium-firm feel should appeal to most sleepers, especially side sleepers.”
Best Pocket Coils
Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
The Silk & Snow Hybrid mattress is the best mattress in Canada of 2023. It has universal appeal, with strong support and a comfortable, cool surface. Most sleepers will appreciate the medium firm feel of the mattress, which appeals to side sleepers, back sleepers, and some stomach sleepers. No matter how you sleep, the pressure relief, strong lumbar support, and breathable feel of this mattress can help you wake up feeling ready to take on your day.
The antimicrobial cover is plush and quilted, which helps relieve temperature build-up and reduce night sweats. This cover also helps prevent the growth of bacteria, which reduces odours and can be invaluable for those who suffer from allergies. The cover is made of a polyester and spandex blend, so it stretches nicely over the mattress and feels smooth and comfortable to the touch.
The first layer of foam is a luxury quilted cooling gel foam. This foam is infused to help reduce heat throughout the night. The cooling gel isolates and neutralizes heat, so you don’t wake up hot and sweaty. It also uses hollow fibre, which promotes breathability and helps move cooler air up through the mattress. Tired of waking up with uncomfortable pressure points? The second layer of gel memory foam in the core of this mattress relieves pressure points, reducing discomfort even if you don’t move throughout the night.
Next is the pocket coil layer. The number of coils in this layer varies by size, starting with 600 pocket coils in the Twin-sized Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress and about 1204 in the California King size. These coils compress individually, which helps isolate motion from the other side of the bed. It can also give you customized support right where you need it. Through the centre of the coil layer are firmer coils, zoned to give you better lumbar support. Softer coils under your shoulders further prevent uncomfortable pressure points.
All of the foams in the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress are eco-conscious, as they are made with natural seed-based oils and none of the chemicals that can produce allergies. As with all Silk & Snow products, you can source every material in this mattress from local manufacturers, so it’s truly made in Canada. You can try the Silk & Snow Hybrid for 100 nights during the risk-free sleep trial. Afterwards, you’ll have a full 15-year warranty.
- Antimicrobial Cover. The cover of the Silk & Snow Hybrid mattress is made of soft, breathable fibres. This cover is cool and antibacterial, which prevents the growth of bacteria.
- Cooler Sleeping Surface. If you sleep hot, this mattress can help cool you down. A layer of high-quality quilted foam works with breathable pocket coils and a cool cover to reduce heat build-up as you sleep.
- Zoned Lumbar Support. Firmer coils in the centre of the mattress can provide additional support and alignment. These coils will make those who need help in this area more comfortable.
- Reduced Motion Transfer. The pocket coil layer helps stop motion as it happens, so you won’t wake up when your partner tosses and turns.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress offers something for every Canadian. Between the cool surface, supportive coils, and edge support boost, this mattress is great for a wide range of sleepers in most positions.”
Best Hybrid Mattress
The Endy Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
The Endy Hybrid Mattress is the best hybrid mattress in Canada. This mattress provides zoned lumbar support for those who need better support throughout the centre of the mattress. Stronger coils under your back and hips are harder to compress, meaning you get the necessary alignment and support. At the same time, softer coils under your shoulders help reduce pressure points and strain, so you can sleep without waking up uncomfortable.
This is also one of the most durable mattresses in Canada. The coil layer helps provide additional support and durability, but an additional layer of foam under the coils helps the mattress keep its shape. This means it can continue to support you for years to come.
The cover of the Endy Hybrid is plush. It’s smooth to the touch and quilted, with a layer of foam on the underside to produce better immediate pressure relief. You can sink into this mattress without any discomfort, so you can fall asleep easily. Though this isn’t a pillow-top mattress, this foam layer helps promote the same type of immediate comfort.
The first layer of foam is Endy’s proprietary Comfort Foam. This blend is an open-cell foam that helps keep you cool. The open cells are breathable, trapping heat and dispersing it before you can feel uncomfortable. This foam is medium-firm and extremely responsive, giving it an edge over standard memory foam (which can sometimes make you feel as though you are stuck in the mattress). The second layer is a pressure-relieving transition foam that also helps isolate motion.
Endy’s mattresses are known for outstanding motion isolation, and the Endy Hybrid certainly lives up to that expectation. This transition layer is made with open-cell foam, which traps motion. Each open cell is a tiny shock absorber, preventing motion from transferring to the other side of the mattress. If your partner tosses and turns, they won’t wake you up.
Next are the support layers, which include a layer of zoned pocket coils that provide additional lumbar support. This layer also provides superior edge support, making it a great option for those who often sit or sleep on the edge of the mattress. Below this coil layer is the additional layer of support foam, which increases durability and support throughout the mattress.
The Endy Hybrid Mattress is compatible with most foundations, including adjustable bed frames. You can try it for 100 nights during the risk-free sleep trial, after which you will have a warranty of 15 years.
- Zoned Lumbar Support. Endy Hybrid’s coil layer provides firmer coils through the centre of the mattress for additional support. Softer coils near your shoulders reduce pressure points while you get the support you need.
- Supportive Foam. Under the coil layer is another layer of support foam, which helps the mattress hold its shape so it can continue to support you for years to come.
- Superior Motion Isolation. Endy is well-known for providing superior motion isolation. The open-cell foam they use in all layers of their mattress helps trap motion as it happens so that you can sleep undisturbed.
- Extremely Responsive. The medium-firm Endy Comfort Foam is a proprietary open-cell foam that provides better response and more breathability than standard memory foam.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Endy Hybrid is a great choice for couples that need a little extra support. The zoned lumbar support and breathable pocket coils make this one of the best hybrid mattresses on the Canadian market.”
Video Demonstration of the Endy Hybrid Mattress
Best Specialty Foam
Octave Horizon Mattress
It's Great For:
The Octave Horizon Mattress is a specialty foam mattress, which means that it uses multiple different types of foam to achieve a unique feel. This mattress uses layers of memory foam, aerated latex, ecoLuxe, Elastex foam, and support foam to reduce pressure and keep you comfortable throughout the night.
The cover of the mattress is made with CryoFusion Cooling Nanofibres. This material is extremely soft and woven through with fibres that reduce heat and wick away moisture, so you won’t wake up too hot. This is just the first layer of cooling materials that help reduce heat throughout the mattress. The second layer is made with CopperGel memory foam, an antibacterial foam infused with copper to conduct heat away from your body. The central part of this layer uses PolarMAX phase-changing material to further maintain a constant, cooler temperature.
Next is a layer of aerated latex foam. This responsive latex has hundreds of small holes to vent heat away, which means the core of the mattress remains cooler. This layer also reduces the ‘quicksand’ feeling usually associated with memory foam. Below the latex is a layer of ecoLuxe cooling gel foam. This layer mimics all the properties of memory foam but is made with less carbon than standard memory foam. This layer helps with pressure relief as well. The last layer of performance foam is Elastex, a latex alternative that helps reduce pressure and maintain ideal responsiveness from your mattress.
Finally, the supportive core of the mattress features better stability and durability than some of the other options available on the Canadian market. This layer uses air channels to further reduce temperature and moisture while using five different pressure-relief zones to properly align your spine for a more comfortable sleep overall.
- Zero Motion Transfer. Each of the specialty foam materials used in this mattress work to remove shock and vibration from your sleep space, making it easier to fall asleep even when your partner is restless.
- Multiple Cooling Features. Every layer of this mattress works together to reduce temperatures while you sleep. From breathable foams and air channels to special temperature-reducing foams, you’ll get a cooler sleep overall.
- Latex and Latex Alternative Foams. The Octave Horizon Mattress uses a layer of breathable, aerated latex as well as a layer of latex-alternative Elastex foam. Together, they keep the mattress responsive.
- Pressure Relief Zones. The supportive core of the mattress is a layer of high-density foam with airflow channels and five pressure-relief zones to keep you aligned and comfortable.
Our Expert’s Take
“If you are in the market for a luxury mattress that ticks all of your boxes, you won’t find better than this mattress. A hearty blend of materials helps create more unique sleep experience for all Canadians.”
Best Eco-Conscious Mattress
The Douglas Mattress
It's Great For:
The Douglas Mattress is the best all-foam mattress in Canada for a variety of reasons. It uses layers of eco-conscious foams that offer all the benefits of standard memory and latex foams without the drawbacks, allergies, and heat retention. If you’ve ever tried a memory foam mattress and disliked the way it felt, the Douglas mattress is worth a try. This option won’t break the bank and features a sleep trial of 365 nights, so you can easily return it if you don’t like it.
However, this mattress works hard to correct the common complaints with other all-foam mattresses. The CoolSense cover helps reduce heat build-up. It uses sustainable Infinitex fibres to wick away heat and moisture so you don’t overheat during the night. This cover is plush and comfortable, but it can also be zipped off and washed with the rest of your sheets at home.
The first layer of foam within this mattress is luxury ecoLight, a cooling gel foam that is made with 40% less carbon when compared to standard memory foam. This layer feels just like high-density memory foam, which means it is responsive and helps relieve pressure throughout your body. On the other hand, it won’t retain heat in the same way as standard memory foam, and you can move around easier on top of it.
The second layer is premium Elastex foam, a hypoallergenic latex alternative. It works to create the same feel as natural latex without the chemicals that create allergic reactions. You’ll find that this layer provides great motion isolation and helps to cushion your deepest pressure points without making you feel stuck inside the mattress.
The final layer is a slab of motion isolation support foam, which works to reduce motion from the other side of the mattress. It also keeps your body aligned so you stay comfortable, without any strain or discomfort. No matter how you sleep, the Douglas mattress can help you sleep more comfortably. It is compatible with slatted, platform, box springs, and adjustable foundations. As stated, you’ll have a full year to try it before you decide if it works for you. Afterwards, you’ll have a full 20-year warranty.
- Industry-Leading Sleep Trial. Douglas offers the longest sleep trial on the Canadian market. You can try the mattress for a full year before deciding if it’s the right choice for you.
- Eco-conscious Foam Layers. All layers of foam used within the Douglas mattress are eco-conscious. They use fewer chemicals than standard foams and provide great alternatives for those with allergies.
- Latex Alternative Foam. A layer of Elastex foam creates all the responsiveness and comfort of natural latex with a hypoallergenic twist. Those with latex allergies can experience all the benefits that latex offers.
- Machine Washable Cover. The beautiful CoolSense cover can be zipped off and washed in your machine at home, so you can easily keep your bed fresh and clean.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Douglas Mattress improves on all of the aspects of a standard all-foam mattress. Canadians in all sleeping positions will love the cool and comforting support that this mattress offers, without any of the drawbacks associated with memory foam.”
Best Cooling Mattress
Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
The Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress is one of the coolest mattresses in Canada. It uses a host of materials to provide comfort and relief from heat retention, which is a common problem with any mattress that features foam layers. Thai mattress uses unique and proprietary cooling foams to reduce heat throughout the night. If you usually wake up with night sweats, you can find relief with this mattress.
In addition to its cooling properties, this mattress features some of the best support in a smaller mattress profile. While most pocket coil layers are about 8” high, the honeycomb pocket coils used in this mattress are half that fight. This makes the mattress great for support and for those who prefer a smaller mattress overall. This coil technology still provides motion isolation, breathability, and the support you expect from a hybrid mattress.
This slim mattress features a washable, removable cover. While the cover on this mattress looks like a single piece of fabric, it actually features a hidden zipper that allows for quick, simple removal. You can wash the cover in your machine at home to easily refresh your bed. There are two layers of foam at the top of this mattress, both of which feature extreme cooling properties.
First is a layer of bamboo viscose cooling foam. This unique foam blend channels heat away from you, moving it through the foam to the layer below. While this layer moves heat away from you, it also provides great pressure relief and comforting support, so you’ll immediately feel comfortable when you lay down. The middle layer of foam is Hush’s proprietary Super Elate foam, which is a natural blend that uses silver and copper infusions to completely neutralize the heat. It’s also comfortable and antibacterial, so you can stay cool and reduce pressure points no matter how you sleep.
The honeycomb coils in the hybrid layer compress individually to provide personalized support and reduce motion. You won’t feel anything from the other side of the bed, so you can rest a little easier. This layer provides excellent support and alignment to help you stay comfortable throughout the night. This layer is encased with edge-support foam to reduce slipping and sliding when you sit or sleep near the edge of the mattress. A final layer of high-density support foam helps prevent sagging over time, so you’ll always get the perfect level of support from the mattress.
The Hush iced Hybrid Mattress can be used with any foundation and doesn’t require a box spring to work effectively. You can try it during the risk-free sleep trial, which gives you 120 nights to determine if the mattress is right for you. Afterwards, you’ll have a 10-year warranty to protect against manufacturing defects and issues with materials.
- Honeycomb Pocket Coils. A unique layer of individually-wrapped steel coils helps provide support without the extreme height of other hybrid mattresses. These coils are smaller but no less effective at providing support and airflow.
- CertiPUR Certified Foams. All of the foam layers used in the Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress are certified to be safe for human use and low in VOCs, or Volatile Organic Compounds.
- Removable, Machine Washable Cover. The cover of this mattress can easily zip off so you can throw it in the wash with the rest of your bedding. If you like keeping your bed fresh and don’t want to worry about stains, this is the perfect option.
- Bamboo Viscose Foam. This breathable layer of foam drastically reduces heat, so you’ll stay cool throughout the night. This is great for those who usually wake up extremely hot.
Our Expert’s Take
“Hush Iced Hybrid retains less heat throughout the night than other hybrid and all-foam mattresses on our list. If you are tired of waking up hot and sweaty, this mattress can help you stay asleep longer and fend off uncomfortable night sweats.”
Best Organic Mattress
Silk & Snow Organic Mattress
It's Great For:
The Silk & Snow Organic Mattress is made with natural, organic materials, which work together to create a unique sleeping experience. This firmer hybrid features zoned lumbar support, edge support coils, and a natural fire retardant layer that reduces the chemicals used throughout the rest of the mattress. Silk & Snow transparently sources all of its materials as well, so you know exactly where each part of your mattress comes from.
The cover of the Silk & Snow Organic mattress is made with GOTS Certified Organic Cotton. This layer is soft and breathable, but comfortable enough to sink into even without a fitted sheet. The cotton used to make this organic cover comes straight from a textile company in Toronto, using Canadian materials to provide a more comfortable sleeping experience. Next is a layer of New Zealand Wool, which is quilted to provide plush breathability and to keep you comfortable. While this layer can help reduce pressure points, its main purpose is to act as a fire retardant. Because of this layer (which comes straight from farms in New Zealand), Silk & Snow can limit the chemicals used throughout the rest of the mattress.
The main foam layer in this mattress is made with GOLS Certified Latex. This Dunlop latex is completely organic and doesn’t contain any synthetic chemicals that may cause allergic reactions. This layer helps provide deep pressure relief, but it also adds some responsiveness to this mattress. You’ll find yourself aligned perfectly, especially if you sleep on your side or your stomach.
The coil layer features softer coils on the outer thirds of the mattress, while firmer coils through the centre of the mattress support your back and hips. If you need better spinal alignment, the coil layer in this mattress can help you stay comfortable throughout the night. The coils are individually pocketed, so they won’t transfer motion. If your partner tosses and turns, you won’t be able to feel it when you sleep on this mattress. Firmer coils around the perimeter of the coil layer help prevent sinking and collapsing at the edges of the mattress.
When it comes to coils, Silk & Snow is also transparent about how many coils are used in each of their mattresses. Twin mattress feature 450 pocket coils, while the King and California King sizes feature 992 coils. This mattress works with any type of bed frame, including adjustable frames, slatted or platform beds, and even the floor. You can try this mattress for 100 nights before deciding if you want to keep it.
- GOTS Certified Organic Cotton Cover. The cover of the mattress is made with natural, organic cotton sourced right in Toronto. It’s extremely soft and breathable.
- GOLS Certified Latex Layer. Durable Dunlop latex creates the main foam layer for this mattress. It’s all-natural and comes from an experienced Latex manufacturing plant in Sri Lanka.
- New Zealand Wool Quilt Layer. A layer of quilted New Zealand wool provides a natural firewall, reducing the chemicals used throughout the rest of the mattress. This wool is transparently sourced directly from New Zealand.
- Firm Edge Support. Some mattresses flatten when you sit at the edge, which creates a sinking or sliding feeling. This mattress offers support all the way put to the edge, so you can sit or sleep there without any loss of support.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Silk & Snow Organic Mattress can help you sleep easier. The additional support and pressure relief from this firmer mattress is ideal for Canadians who suffer from back pain, while the organic layers are perfect for eco-conscious sleepers.”
Best for Couples
The Endy Mattress
It's Great For:
The Endy Mattress offers some of the best motion isolation on the Canadian market, making it perfect for couples and co-sleepers. Endy uses proprietary motion-isolating open-cell foam. Each cell acts as a shock absorber, reducing the amount of motion that can transfer to the other side of the bed. If you are tired of waking up when your partner tosses or turns, this mattress is one of the better options for you.
Aside from motion isolation, Endy also offers great pressure relief and support. This mattress features a recommendation from the Canadian Chiropractic Association, which means it’s one of the best options for those who need better rest. It starts with the micro-quilted cover, which is soft and breathable. You can zip it off and toss it into the washing machine with the rest of your sheets. When it’s time to refresh your bed, this cover can help reduce allergens and odours.
The first layer of foam in the mattress is Endy Comfort Foam, a proprietary open-cell foam with increased breathability. The structure of this foam makes it extremely cool and responsive, so it will contour to your body without allowing you to feel as though you are stuck in the mattress. This layer helps reduce heat but can also reduce the transfer of motion, with its open-cell design acting to stop motion as it happens.
The middle layer is an open-cell transition foam that helps eliminate any motion from the other side of the bed. If you want to stay asleep when your partner is restless, this layer can help. It also provides increased pressure relief so you sleep more comfortably no matter how much you move around at night.
The final layer of foam is a high-density base layer that helps the mattress maintain an almost perfect medium feel. If you sleep on your side, this mattress is nearly perfect for you! This durable layer also helps the mattress keep its shape and maintain its feel. All layer of foam used in this mattress is temperature-neutral, which mean that they don’t feel different based on the ambient temperature. Traditional memory foam can be firmer or softer depending on the weather or temperature in your room, but Endy’s foams remain the same all year round.
You can try the Endy Mattress for 100 Nights before deciding if it works for you. This mattress is compatible with slatted frames, box springs, and adjustable bed frames. If you decide to keep the mattress after your sleep trial, you’ll have access to a full 15-year warranty to cover any issues with your mattress.
- Temperature Neutral Foam. While traditional memory foam tends to soften in warm weather and firm up in the cold, this foam feels the same year-round.
- Machine Washable Cover. The stretchable, spandex cover on this mattress is easy to remove and wash in your laundry at home.
- GreenGuard Gold Certification. Every layer of this mattress is GreenGuard Gold Certified, meaning they contain extremely low levels of harmful chemicals. These mattresses are safe for human use.
- Breathable, Proprietary Foams. The Endy mattress uses layers of proprietary foams, including Endy comfort foam and a soft, motion-isolating transition foam.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Endy mattress is one of the best mattresses on the Canadian market for motion isolation. This is a great option for couples, particularly those with restless partners, or those who sleep with children or pets.”
Best for Back Pain
The Noa Mattress
It's Great For:
The Noa Mattress is a hybrid option that uses all three of the most popular mattress materials to create a sleep experience unlike any other. The firm support from this mattress makes it ideal for those who suffer from back pain, particularly those who don’t want specialized lumbar support. While the pocket coil layer in this mattress doesn’t offer zoned support, the firmer feel of the mattress overall more than makes up for it.
Every layer of foam used in this mattress is REACH certified, which is the EU equivalent to CertiPUR-US. This means that the materials have been tested to be safe for human use and don’t contain high levels of VOCs, or volatile organic compounds. Each layer is bound with water-based adhesive as well, which helps reduce heat build-up throughout the night. You’ll sleep much cooler on this mattress.
The cover of the Noa mattress is hand-tufted and made with Tencel fibres. This pillow top provides soft, comfortable breathability from the moment you first lay down. It’s also antibacterial and hypoallergenic. This prevents the growth of bacteria throughout the mattress and helps reduce allergens that may interfere with your sleep. This cover is layered over a cooling latex top layer, which is made with open-cell latex foam. You’ll get cooler sleep with better responsiveness and more support than standard memory foam, which helps contribute to your overall comfort as you sleep on this mattress.
The second layer is made of cooling gel memory foam, which relieves pressure points and wicks away moisture and heat. This layer helps the mattress conform to your body, reducing pressure and providing support right where you need it. You won’t wake up hot or uncomfortable because of the way this layer works to keep you cool. If you often wake up to your partner tossing and turning, you’ll be happy to know that Noa’s transition foam layer reduces motion transfer and actively works to mitigate any shaking or bouncing as a result of movements from the other side of the bed. This layer also helps to cushion the coil layer, so you get all the support you need without discomfort.
Finally, the coil layer features thick-gauge pocket springs, which compress individually so you only get the support and alignment you need. They also balance your body and provide better breathability, so the core of the mattress stays cool too. A perimeter of firm edge support foam makes it easy to sit on the edge of the bed in the morning without the sinking or sliding you might find in all-foam options.
You can try the Noa Mattress for 120 nights before you decide if it’s right for you. You can return it during this time for a full refund and free return. If you decide to keep the mattress, you’ll have the assurance of a 15-year warranty.
- Multiple Materials. The Noa Mattress uses hybrid coils, latex foam, and memory foam to create a unique sleep experience that is perfect for most Canadians.
- Hybrid Coils. Thick-gauge steel coils create the core of this pocket coil layer. These springs compress individually and help promote better airflow and durability.
- Responsive Feel. If you move around a lot during the night, you know that memory foam can sometimes feel as restrictive as quicksand. The responsive latex layers and strong support coils make this mattress more responsive than your standard all-foam option.
- Firmer Mattress. Though the Noa Mattress is a medium-firm option, it features the support of a much firmer mattress. Stomach sleepers and those who prefer a firmer mattress will love the way the Noa mattress feels.
Our Expert’s Take
“We loved the way this mattress felt. The variety of materials created a unique feel that you won’t find elsewhere, while strong, supportive coils provided needed support. Overall, it’s a great choice for most Canadians, especially those who need relief from back pain.”
Video Demonstration of the Noa Mattress
Best for Allergies
Polysleep Origin Mattress
It's Great For:
The Polysleep Origin Mattress offers some of the best unique materials on the market in 2023. This mattress uses completely hypoallergenic and antimicrobial foams, which makes it one of the best mattresses for allergies in Canada. This mattress uses proprietary materials almost exclusively to provide some of the best support, cooling, and motion isolation features on our list.
This medium-firm mattress uses proprietary foam layers to create a comfortable, supportive feel. It begins with the cover, which is soft, smooth, and completely water-resistant. This cover can be removed and washed, so you’ll never have to worry about stains or other water damage seeping into your mattress. It’s extremely low maintenance and easy to wash, so you can have your favourite drink in bed without worrying about ruining your mattress.
The top layer of the mattresses is made with antimicrobial foam, which completely reduces the growth of bacteria. This foam is exclusive to Polysleep and helps reduce odours and discomfort. This layer and all the layers below are made with Polysleep’s hybrid foam, which is a viscoelastic blend. This premium foam springs back quickly and is much more responsive than traditional memory foam. It also offers increased support and longevity, so your mattress naturally lasts longer.
The second layer of this mattress helps isolate motion and vibration, which takes motion isolation a step further than most all-foam mattresses. Instead of just trapping larger motions, this foam works to reduce transfer for the smallest motions as well. This means you’ll spend less time awake when your partner is restless and more time resting.
The supportive base is also made with open-cell foam, which creates a type of support and durability usually not found in all foam mattresses. This layer helps align your body and provides some of the best support possible. All layers of this mattress are CertiPUR-US Certified and safe for human use, with no harmful chemicals.
Polysleep offers a 100-night sleep trial for the Polysleep Origin. During this time, you can try the mattress to see if it is right for you. When you decide to keep the mattress, you’ll have a full 10-year warranty that protects against defects and any issues you may have with the mattress.
- Water-Resistant Cover. The cover of the Polysleep Origin mattress is removable and washable. It’s also resistant to water, so you don’t have to worry about stains or other types of liquid damage.
- Hypoallergenic and Antimicrobial Foams. The layers used in this mattress are antimicrobial and hypoallergenic. These foams prevent bacteria from growing and reduce allergen buildup, so you can stay comfortable even if you usually suffer from allergies.
- Hybrid Foam. The foams used in the layers of this mattress are premium hybrid foam. Made of viscoelastic, this foam regains its shape faster and lasts longer than traditional memory foam.
- Reduced Motion Transfer. The top layer of this mattress uses its unique construction to reduce vibration and isolate movement, so you can rest easier even when your partner can’t sleep.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Polysleep Origin mattress has a lot of unique features to offer, especially for those who regularly have allergy flare-ups because of their mattress. The way this mattress is constructed helps create a unique feel and experience.”
Video Demonstration of the Polysleep Origin Mattress
Why Trust Us?
To arrive at the recommendations on our list, our dedicated team of testers, reviewers, and sleep experts worked together to evaluate hundreds of mattresses. We looked at construction, feel, performance, and how the mattress worked for different sleeping positions and body types. The recommendations we made will work for most Canadians. When evaluating mattresses, we used the following performance parameters.
- Temperature Control: A large portion of Canadians generate heat as they sleep. Memory foam can allow this heat to build up because of how it reacts to body heat. For those who are already warm, this creates a huge problem. Mattresses that include active temperature control issues can get around this issue and be more comfortable for most sleepers.
- Edge Support: Sliding off the mattress first thing in the morning can be a terrible start to your day. Mattresses with edge support eliminate these issues, allowing you to sit or sleep near the edge comfortably. You’ll have the same level of support at the edges as you have throughout the mattress.
- Motion Control: Most Canadians sleep with a partner, child, or pet. For these sleepers, motion control is extremely important. We used the good old ‘glass of water’ test to see how well each mattress isolated different types of motion.
- Pressure Point Relief: Memory foam is known for relieving pressure. For some sleepers, pressure relief is key to a good night’s sleep. We used pressure maps and compared notes with each of our testers to determine how well each mattress relieved the pressure.
The Unbiased Way to Choose a Mattress in Canada
Choosing a mattress isn’t easy. There are a lot of things to keep in mind before you make a purchase, and many of your choices are about personal preferences. Here, we’ll look at the types of decisions you could face and how to navigate mattress terminology online. Before you make a purchase, make sure to consider these options carefully. They can help you determine the type of mattress that is best for you!
Type of Mattress
As you shop for mattresses, you might notice that there are a few different types to choose from. Each type of mattress has different benefits and drawbacks, so you should choose based on what you want out of your mattress. Keep in mind that each mattress works well for a specific type of sleeper, so make sure to take a closer look before making your final decision.
- An all-foam mattress exclusively uses layers of memory foam, latex, and polyfoam to create a supportive, contouring mattress. Each layer of foam may have different properties, allowing each all-foam mattress to have a unique feel.
- Memory foam contours to your body. It softens when it warms up, so your body heat creates a personalized pressure map for your mattress to follow. However, it can allow heat to build up, creating an uncomfortably warm sleep. It also has a ‘quicksand’, stuck-in-the-mattress feeling sometimes.
- Latex is a responsive foam that still contours to your body. While it doesn’t form to your body like memory foam, it still sinks in areas where you’re heaviest, creating comfortable support where it’s most necessary. Some people are allergic to latex, though.
- Polyfoam is a dense, supportive foundation for the rest of your mattress. Polyfoam is only used as a support layer in foam mattresses.
- Innerspring mattresses use layers of coils to create the support you need. These coils and springs are connected and covered with fill to create a more comfortable sleeping surface. Most mattresses purchased online are not innerspring, as they are more difficult to compress.
- A hybrid mattress combines the best of a foam mattress with the support of an innerspring. They isolate motion better than innerspring mattresses and often offer more support than memory foam mattresses.
The type of mattress is one of the first things you should look for as you shop for a mattress. Remember to consider the mattress materials and construction before you decide which type of mattress is best for you. Some Canadians may find that all-foam mattresses are more comfortable, while others prefer the support of a hybrid mattress. The materials do matter, so consider this before making your final decision!
Firmness is a measure of how supportive a mattress can be. Firmness is a personal preference, though there are some general recommendations based on sleeping position and body type. We’ll talk about those next.
Starting with the softest option, here are the firmness options you might encounter.
- Soft. Rated from 1 to 3, soft mattresses offer minimal support and extreme plushness. These mattresses are best for lightweight sleepers.
- Medium-Soft. Medium soft is rated as 4 on the firmness scale. Medium soft mattresses offer better support than soft mattresses, and may be ideal for those who a softer mattress.
- Medium. Medium mattresses are rated at about a 5. These mattresses are ideal for side sleepers and those who prefer support with plush top layers.
- Medium-Firm. Medium-firm mattresses are the most popular options in Canada. Medium-firm mattresses offer extreme support with signature plushness that can reduce pressure points and keep you comfortable. On the firmness scale, they are between 6 and 7.
- Firm. Firm mattresses rated 8 to 10 on the firmness scale are best for those who need extreme support and reduced softness from their mattress.
Sleeping Position and Body Type
Your sleeping position and body type have a lot to do with the firmness you prefer. However, these are general guidelines. You may have different preferences, and that’s fine! However, this chart may help you determine where to start looking if you aren’t sure.
|Firmness||Sleeping Position||Body Type|
|Soft – Medium-Soft||Stomach||Up to 59kg|
|Medium||Side||59kg to 104kg|
|Medium-Firm – Firm||Stomach, Combination||104kg and Up|
Most Canadians know which mattress size they want. However, you might want to look into other options as you upgrade your mattress. There are six mattresses sizes for most mattresses.
|Mattress Size||Dimensions||Recommended Sleepers|
|Twin||96.5cm x 189cm||1|
|Twin XL||96.5cm x 202cm||1|
|Full/Double||134.5cm x 189cm||1-2|
|Queen||152.5cm x 202cm||2|
|King||193cm x 202cm||2-3|
|California King||183cm x 213.5cm||2-3|
You should choose the mattress that best fits your sleeping situation. Make sure that you have a foundation in the same size to support your new mattress.
A seventh common mattress size, Split King, is available at some mattress retailers. Split King size includes two Twin XL mattresses that can be attached. Split King is meant for couples who use an adjustable frame.
Purchasing a Mattress Online in Canada
Buying a mattress online is simple. Though it may seem overwhelming at first, it can offer more benefits than purchasing a mattress in a physical retail store. There are often sales or promotional offers to take advantage of, and those are calculated on top of deep discounts. Online mattresses are less costly on average because of lower overheads. Mattresses ship right to your door and include longer sleep trials than other stores.
Here are some of the ins and outs of purchasing a mattress online.
Sleep trials give you a period to test your new mattress. During this period (usually between 60 and 120 nights), you can determine if you want to keep the mattress. If it’s not for you, now is the time to find out.
Most retailers require that you keep the mattress for at least 30 days before returning it. This is how long it usually takes for your body to adjust to a new mattress. This gives you enough time to see if the mattress is perfect for you before deciding to return it.
During the sleep trial (and after the initial required period), you might decide that your online mattress isn’t going to work for you. If so, you can initiate a return with the mattress company. Returns are free, and you’ll get your full purchase price returned to you if you return during your trial period. Most companies donate used mattresses to local charities, so you can return your mattress without feeling guilty.
A warranty guarantees that the mattress is free from manufacturing defects. Usually, warranties last between 10 and 25 years, depending on the retailer. In most cases, this is how long the company expects the mattress to last.
Warranty terms differ depending on the company, so do the proper research before committing to a purchase. Most protect against major defects, undue sagging, tearing, and body indents.
Unboxing your mattress is simple, too. Once you receive your mattress, remove it from the box. Place it on the foundation you’ve set up for it. Carefully cut the plastic wrap surrounding the mattress, which will allow it to expand to its intended size and shape.
The restoration process usually takes about 48 hours. During this time, you shouldn’t sleep on your new mattress. We recommend waiting the full 48 hours, even if the mattress company advertises a shorter restoration period.
Off-gassing is a natural part of the mattress unboxing process, especially after the mattress has been vacuum-packed and restored. Sometimes, the memory foam manufacturing process will leave a lingering chemical odour. This is harmless.
Still, if you find that the odour is bothering you, you should ventilate the room and use a fan to move the fumes away. After 24 to 48 hours, most of the smell should be gone.
Performance features can help you sleep better overall. These quality-of-life features can improve how you sleep, how long you sleep, and address any specific sleep-related issues that you might be having. Even if you know the mattress you want to purchase, make sure to keep these areas in mind. Choose the ones that work best for you!
If your partner is often restless (or if you’re a light sleeper), you’ll want a mattress that features motion control or motion isolation features. Foam mattresses are best at isolating motion, and hybrid mattresses provide better isolation than traditional innerspring mattresses, too. Look for mattresses that use motion isolation support foam, a soft but robust transition layer, or pocketed springs.
Even though memory foam mattresses are known for being hot, there are some temperature control features you can look for. Usually, mattresses that control temperature use gel memory foam layers. Other temperature control features you might find include perforated foam, copper infusions, latex layers, and pocketed coils with increased airflow. Certain covers might help too, including those that boast cooling properties.
If you struggle with temperature control even when using a cooling mattress, consider other temperature control methods. There are certain cooling pillows and cooling sheets that can help reduce heat throughout the night. If you sleep extremely hot, you should consider multiple cooling options to reduce temperature and help you sleep better.
Edge support can be important for some sleepers. Some partners sleep near the edge of the bed on a smaller mattress. Some Canadians might want to sit on the edge of the bed to put their slippers on in the morning. Some mattresses lack support at the edge, so you might feel like you’ll slide right off.
Look for mattresses with reinforced edges, perimeter foam, and stronger coils around the edges of the mattress. Edge-to-edge support is a great feature to look for regardless, so keep it in mind.
Frequently Asked Questions
The mattresses on our list are all made in Canada. Some use Canadian materials exclusively, while others source from multiple locations to bring you the best possible sleeping experience. To make sure the mattress you are purchasing is made in Canada, make sure to check the manufacturer’s website for more information.
If you don’t like the mattress you choose, you can return it during the sleep trial for a full refund of your purchase price. Some companies require you to pay return shipping on the mattress, and others require you to wait at least 30 days to begin the refund process. Make sure to check the sleep trial information for each mattress carefully, as some have specific terms and requirements.
You should replace your mattress when it begins to feel uncomfortable. If you are no longer sleeping well, it might be time to replace your mattress. Usually, mattresses last between 7 and 10 years before replacement is necessary.
For the most part, bed in a box mattresses offer free shipping to most locations in Canada. The terms may vary based on your location and the mattress company, so make sure to check each company’s shipping policy before ordering. If you are unsure if you need to pay shipping to your location, you can contact the customer service department on the company website for specific advice.
To ensure the longevity of your mattress in Canada, start by rotating it every few months to even out wear. Protecting it with a mattress cover helps guard against spills and stains, preserving its appearance. Adhering to the manufacturer’s care instructions, tailored to Canadian climate conditions, will help maintain its comfort and support. Additionally, using a suitable foundation prevents sagging, while keeping the mattress dry wards off mold and mildew.