Whether you are looking for the ultimate luxury when sleeping or have physical needs that warrant more features than a traditional mattress, choosing an adjustable bed can be a big decision. With countless adjustable beds on the market, it can be tricky to figure out what features you may need and what company to buy from. Adjustable beds vary in position availability, massaging capabilities and compatibility with frames. Our team of bed frame experts and testers spent hundreds of hours testing all of the best adjustable bed options in order to help you decide which bed is right for you.
Each adjustable bed in our review today was tested on multiple features, ease of assembly and mattress and frame compatibility. Our testers kept each adjustable bed for extended lengths of time and tested multiple beds in order to get fair evaluations. Only the best adjustable beds made it into our list today. Here are our choices for the best adjustable beds in Canada for 2023.
Why Did We Choose These Adjustable Beds in Canada?
We chose each of the following adjustable beds based on performance features, including some of the most important options for adjustable beds. We looked at compatibility, convenience features, and available sizes to determine which adjustable beds were right for you. Each of these adjustable beds was chosen after our professional reviewers and testers evaluated user feedback and test results, which helped us figure out which adjustable beds were the best in the Canadian market. Here is why each adjustable bed made our list today.
The GhostBed Adjustable Bed Frame is a great adjustable base that works with many existing bed frames, headboards and mattresses. It’s our favourite adjustable bed in Canada. The large range of tech features is what helps this frame stand out, with its one-touch controls, under-the-bed lighting and more USB ports than most.
Offering a range of great features and a moderate cost, the Polysleep Levita Adjustable Bed Frame has the best tech features for an adjustable bed available in Canada. This bed offers great position options, built-in massagers and USB ports and can be assembled in just minutes.
Budget-conscious Canadians will love the Podium Adjustable Bed, which we picked as our favourite adjustable bed for those on a budget. This base is filled with durable and functional features like USB ports and a full-body massager.
The Casper Rise Max Adjustable Bed is our choice for the best adjustability, featuring more tilt points and tech options than other mattresses on our list today. This bed is also compatible with most bed frames due to its unique drop-in framing option.
While most adjustable beds only work with certain mattress types, the Puffy Adjustable Bed is the only one in our review today that works with latex, foam, hybrid and even innerspring mattresses. For those who want to use their existing mattress, this bed is a great pick.
The GhostBed Adjustable Bed Frame
It's Great For:
Canadians who are seeking the best of all features will love the GhostBed Adjustable Bed Frame, our choice for the overall best adjustable bed available in Canada. This bed works great with many different mattresses and frames and is filled with all the latest technology features available to adjustable bases..
Those who are hoping to use the GhostBed Adjustable Bed Frame with an existing bed frame can do so with any frame that has a clear opening, with all slats and supports removed. Simply drop the GhostBed Adjustable into the middle. A bed frame is not needed to use this bed, though, and the steel frame is covered in a dark grey fabric that looks sleek and modern. For an additional cost, users can purchase a universal headboard bracket in order to attach an existing headboard they may have.
The GhostBed Adjustable Bed Frame is tech-heavy, with multiple features to keep you connected and for ease of use. The wireless, backlit remote controls tilt and custom options, as well as preset positions with a click of a button. Those who need some dim lighting to see their way around in the dark will appreciate the under-the-bed LED lighting, which softly glows so you can see your way around. Canadians hoping to stay plugged in can enjoy a total of four USB ports on each side of the bed, so no matter what side you sleep on, you can charge devices easily.
The GhostBed Adjustable comes with two different tilt points located at the head and foot of the bed. No matter what position you want to sleep or lounge in, you can get comfortable with this base. Preset options for this bed include a lay flat and zero-gravity position. Canadians who need relief from aches and pains can enjoy the dual massagers, which each feature three modes and three intensities and include a timer function.
This bed comes in three sizes, Twin XL, Queen and Split King. Co-sleepers who wish to be able to have full control over their side of the bed will want to purchase the Split King, as the other sizes are all one functionality. The GhostBed Adjustable Bed Frame works with all-foam, latex or hybrid mattresses and is not compatible with all-spring mattresses or any type of box spring base. This bed does not come with a sleep trial, which could be a consideration for some Canadians who want to try an adjustable base risk-free.
- USB Ports. With four USB ports on each base, the GhostBed Adjustable Bed Frame is great for staying connected and plugged in. The USB ports are conveniently placed, so you won’t have to use a longer cord to charge your devices.
- Dual Massagers. Two different massers, located at the head and foot of the bed, help relax sore muscles and have multiple settings and a timer.
- Under Bed Lighting. No more stumbling around in the dark with this frame’s soft under-bed lighting, which won’t wake up a partner or be too bright in the middle of the night.
- Drop-in Frame Option. Canadians hoping to use this adjustable base with an existing bed frame will enjoy the ability to do so, as long as your frame is open in the middle once slats and middle support beams are removed.
Our Expert’s Take
“This bed had all of the main features that our testers were looking for in an adjustable base. Our testers liked the extensive range of control options and preset positions, perfect for reading and watching TV.”
Video Demonstration of the GhostBed Adjustable Bed
Best Tech Features
Polysleep Levita Adjustable Bed Frame
It's Great For:
Canadians looking for the best tech features in an adjustable mattress on the market will love the Polysleep Levita Adjustable Bed Frame. This base has multiple great features like multiple positioning options, integrated massagers and built-in USB ports. The Polysleep Levita boasts super fast assembly without the use of any tools.
Made from durable steel that is covered in a dark charcoal fabric, the Polysleep Levita Adjustable base can fit into most existing bed frames. This adjustable base cannot be attached to a headboard unless it is part of a bed frame. This adjustable base will work with all latex, foam and hybrid mattresses, but Polysleep recommends all-foam for the best flexibility.
Those who like to lounge or watch TV in bed will appreciate the preset options for both positions, in addition to zero-gravity and all-flat. In addition to the preset choices on the remote, you can independently control the head, neck and foot tilt points, allowing for countless different positions to find your perfect comfort level. The anti-snore feature is great for anyone who sleeps loudly, snores or has sleep apnea, as the bed will gently raise to clear your airways while sleeping.
The Polysleep Levita Adjustable Bed Frame has two different massagers, located in the head and foot, which is great for relaxing and soothing sore muscles after a long day. The built-in USB ports on the sides of the bed ensure that you are always able to keep your devices plugged in and close by.
This adjustable bed frame comes in Twin XL, Queen, King and Split King. While couples can easily share the Queen and King sizes, the Split King is the only option where partners can independently control their own sides of the bed. The Polysleep Levita Adjustable Bed Frame can be adjusted to three different heights, ranging from 8” to 16” off the floor; great for those preferring to be low to the ground or those who desire a taller bed in order to gain under the bed storage space. There is no sleep trial or returns for this bed, which can be a deterrent for some buyers. This adjustable bed is a great choice overall and has features that most Canadians are looking for.
- Multiple Tilt Options. The Polysleep Levita Adjustable Bed Frame features independent controls for the head, neck and feet.
- Adjustable Legs. This bed frame can adjust to three different heights ranging from 8” to 16”, which is great for those with limited mobility or who prefer a cheating amount of space under the bed.
- Drop-in Frame Option. Users who want to use their existing bed frame with this adjustable base can do so, provided that the frame can be removed from all the middle slats and beams.
- Preset Controls. Canadians can change the position of their adjustable bed with a click of a button, and the wireless remote features four preset positions for lounging in bed, watching tv, lay-flat or zero gravity.
Our Expert’s Take
“Our most tech-savvy testers loved the extensive range of options controlled by the wireless remote, including the massagers and preset positions. The extra features really made this adjustable bed stand out to us.”
Podium Adjustable Bed
It's Great For:
Canadians shopping for an adjustable bed may quickly realize that these bases can be quite expensive, but buying one doesn’t have to drain your savings account. We chose the Podium Adjustable Bed as our favourite for budget-conscious Canadians in 2023. This durable and functional bed has many great features while also being lower cost than most adjustable frames on the market.
This adjustable steel base comes covered in a dark grey fabric, which looks great in most bedrooms. Those wanting to hide the bed, though, have the ability to place it into an existing bed frame if the middle can be opened up by removing the slats or beams. On its own, the Podium Adjustable Bed Frame can not be attached to a headboard. Assembly is super easy and requires no tools and just a few minutes to put it together.
The Podium Adjustable Bed has two tilt options at the head and foot, which can be independently controlled with the included wireless remote. This bed features a zero-gravity position and can also lay completely flat. For the ultimate in relaxation, this bed features an all-body massage that has three different mode options. Canadians who like to be able to charge their phones and tablets close by will appreciate the four different USB ports built into either side of the bed.
This bed frame is adjustable to three different heights, which is perfect for those trying to fit it into an existing bed frame. Canadians needing extra under-the-bed storage will enjoy the space offered when set to the tallest bed leg setting.
The Podium Adjustable Bed Frame comes in Twin XL, Full, Queen, and Split King, which is a larger range than some other adjustable beds on the Canadian market. For couples and co-sleepers, the Split King option will allow for complete control of their own side of the bed. This adjustable bed works best for latex, all-foam or hybrid mattresses. Traditional innerspring coil mattresses and box springs are not compatible with the Podium Bed. There is no sleep trial, refunds or returns permitted on Podium Adjustable Bed Frames unless it arrives damaged.
- Budget Pricing. This adjustable bed is less expensive than most of the other options available on the Canadian market. This means it’s great for those who want comfort on a budget.
- Full Body Massager. The large, full-body massage option has three different settings and is perfect for soothing sore muscles.
- Adjustable Bed Legs. Great for adapting to an existing frame or achieving maximum under-bed storage, this base has three different height options.
- USB Ports. Keep phones, tablets, and other devices plugged in within arm’s reach with these four USB ports built into the frame.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was great for our testers who wanted all the basic features of an adjustable bed without a higher cost. Our testers enjoyed the built-in USB ports to keep their devices close by when charging.”
Best Adjustable Options
Casper Rise Max Adjustable Bed
It's Great For:
For Canadians who are looking for an adjustable bed with the most options of adjustability in positioning and framing, the Capser Rise Max Adjustable Bed is a wonderful choice. This bed is our pick for having the best adjustable options in Canada. With multiple tilt settings and the ability to fit with many frames and mattresses, this overall great adjustable frame is one that many Canadians should consider.
Those who are looking for an adjustable bed that will work with existing bed frames will be happy with the Casper Rise Max. This steel bed has a drop-in option, allowing it to be compatible with most bed frames, as well as Casper’s frames, for a polished look. The frame can be aligned to the wall, ensuring a minimal profile and your nightstand at arm’s reach. Those who like to keep their devices close by will appreciate the USB ports that are built into the bed, ensuring easy charging without having to get out of bed.
The Casper Rise Max Adjustable Bed features three different tilt points, more than most adjustable beds on the market. The bed can adjust at the neck, head and foot, allowing for many combinations of comfort. The bed can lie completely flat as well as in zero gravity mode, which helps sore muscles or those in post-surgery recover faster.
Included with the Casper Rise Max is a wireless remote that has preset tilt options like Anti-Snore and Zero Gravity, as well as two programmable memory buttons so you can store your favourite positions with a click of a button. The bed comes with a 4 zone massage option, promoting rest and relaxation. Those who get up in the dark will love the under-the-bed lighting, which helps light a path for you.
The Casper Rise Max Adjustable Bed comes in Twin XL, Queen, Split King and California King. The Split King is ideal for couples or co-sleepers who each want to control their side of the bed. This adjustable bed works great for all foam, latex and hybrid mattresses on the market, and Casper also sells mattresses that will work great with this base. Traditional spring mattresses and box springs are not compatible with the Casper Rise Max. This base comes with a 30-night sleep trial, so you can make sure that this adjustable bed is perfect for you.
- Three Tilt Points. With three different adjustable tilt points located at the head, neck and foot of the bed, there are multiple ways to find comfort in many different positions.
- Anti-Snore Features. For those who snore, this anti-snore position will help you breathe better and snore less, perfect for those with sleep apnea.
- Four Massage Zones. The Casper Rise Max has four different zones of massaging, so no matter where you have sore muscles, this base can help you find relief.
- Zero-Gravity Position. This unique setting helps those who need muscle recovery or have post-surgery concerns to be comfortable and help with full body circulation.
Our Expert’s Take
“This adjustable base had countless ways to customize positions and tilt points, and all our testers were able to find comfort. Our testers who snored loved the anti-snore feature and found they breathed better through the night.”
Video Demonstration of the Casper Rise Max Adjustable Bed
Best Mattress Compatibility
Puffy Adjustable Bed
It's Great For:
The Puffy Adjustable Bed has many great features and options, but the ability to use any type of mattress with it is what makes it our favourite adjustable bed in Canada for mattress compatibility. While most adjustable beds can only accommodate foam, latex or hybrid mattresses, this bed also works great with a traditional all-spring mattress. With a 101-night sleep trial, there is plenty of time to make sure this adjustable base is the best one for you.
This steel bed frame comes with a universal headboard attachment bracket, allowing those who own an existing headboard to be able to easily attach it. The Puffy Adjustable Bed is not compatible with other bed frames; however, the steel frame is wrapped in a dark grey fabric that looks great with any bedding or decor. Set up of the Puffy Bed is extremely easy and can be done in just a few easy steps.
The Puffy Adjustable bed features two different tilt points at the head and foot of the bed, which is standard for most adjustable beds. This bed can lay completely flat, as well as in a zero gravity position. The wireless remote controls all the tilt positions and the preset options, as well as the dual massage zones. Those who like to have their devices close to hand will appreciate the USB ports built into the side of the Puffy Adjustable Bed.
This bed has three different height capabilities, great for under-the-bed storage or getting the perfect height for ease of getting in and out of bed. For those who get up in the middle of the night or while it’s still dark in the morning, the lighting underneath will make sure you can see where you are going without having to turn on your main bedroom lighting.
The Puffy Adjustable Bed comes in Twin XL, Full, Queen, and Split King. Couples who want to be able to control their side of the bed independently of their partner will want to choose the Split King, which is two of the Twin XL sizes, side by side. This adjustable bed works great for all mattress types on the market but does not use a box spring. Puffy sells mattresses that are compatible with this adjustable base for those in the market for a new model. Those who love the feel of a spring mattress should consider the Puffy Adjustable Bed, as it is the only one in our review that will work with traditional coil mattresses.
- Mattress Compatibility. The Puffy Adjustable Bed works with most mattress types, including all-foam, hybrid, and latex mattresses.
- Universal Headboard Mount. The included universal headboard bracket ensures you can choose a headboard of your liking that will work with this base.
- USB Ports. Tech-savvy Canadians will love the built-in USB ports to charge devices that are within arms reach.
- Adjustable Legs. With three different leg options, the Puffy Adjustable Bed can accommodate under-the-bed storage and help those with limited mobility find the perfect bed height.
Our Expert’s Take
“This adjustable bed was great for our testers who had innerspring mattresses they wanted to use with it. Our testers who had specific bed height requirements loved the different leg options.”
Video Demonstration of the Puffy Adjustable Bed
Why Trust Us?
We extensively tested each of the adjustable beds on our list for Canadians. We looked at multiple different parameters to determine if each bed was a good fit to recommend to you. Years of experience in the sleep field taught us what to look for. When it comes to these adjustable beds, we looked at these areas:
- Setup: How simple is the bed to set up? While adjustable beds can offer a ton of features, they don’t offer many benefits if you can’t figure out how to set them up. We looked at how simple it was to follow the setup instructions and had our testers assemble each adjustable bed themselves.
- Noise Level: Adjustable beds can sometimes be noisy, especially as they are adjusted. We gauged how noisy each adjustable bed was during adjustment, testing the same angles and settings where possible.
- Positions: We looked at how many positions were available on each adjustable bed and tested them all. We also tried out the free adjustment if available, ensuring that the beds we recommended offered the best possible range of positions.
- Ease of Use: We also took a look at how easy each bed was to operate. We compared remotes, figured out how to use the best features, and asked our testers to rate how easy it was to learn how to operate the bed.
What is an Adjustable Base?
An adjustable base is a mattress foundation that allows the frame to tilt and move to raise and lower certain parts of the mattress. The head of the bed has a wide range of adjustments, and the foot of the mattress can generally be adjusted as well. The inspiration for these beds came from hospital beds. They’ve evolved into a luxury product that anyone can use.
To use your adjustable base, you need a flexible mattress. You should look for memory foam, latex, or hybrid mattress for your adjustable base. Innerspring mattresses cannot be used with adjustable frames, so take that into account before you purchase one.
Benefits (and Drawbacks) of Using an Adjustable Bed
Adjustable beds offer a ton of great benefits. Aside from the comfort that comes with being able to freely adjust the angle of the bed, adjustable bases can improve sleep in multiple ways.
Using an adjustable bed can:
- Reduce snoring.
- Relieve pressure.
- Increase circulation.
- Offer a soothing massage.
- Help you get to sleep easier.
All of these benefits come because of the customizable and adjustable nature of the frame. Unfortunately, there are some drawbacks as well.
- Adjustable beds are heavy.
- Adjustable beds are expensive.
- Adjustable beds can be noisy.
If you can overlook these drawbacks, an adjustable bed can change the way you sleep. It’s worth noting that these aren’t universally true, either – some adjustable beds are noisy and expensive, while others have included measures to help circumvent these issues. This is especially true if you have some minor sleeping difficulties. While adjustable beds aren’t for everyone, they can offer significant sleep benefits.
How to Shop for an Adjustable Base
There is a relatively small pool of adjustable bases available on the Canadian market. The good news is that most will work with any compatible mattress. Compatibility depends on the mattress itself rather than the frame. Most bed in a box mattresses in Canada will be compatible with an adjustable bed. Still, each adjustable base comes with a set of unique features and options. Look for the following things as you shop for an adjustable base.
Sizes for adjustable frames vary based on the brand. Some are available in Twin XL, Queen, or King sizes. Others are only available in Split King, which offers an adjustment section on each side of the bed. Before you look into any other features an adjustable bed offers, make sure you check the sizes the adjustable bed comes in.
Notably, you need to look for an adjustable base that matches the size of your mattress. If you choose a Split King adjustable bed, you will need two Twin XL-sized mattresses instead of a single King mattress. Other adjustable bed sizes only need a mattress of the same size, which is important to keep in mind.
What an adjustable bed is made of is an important thing to consider. Steel frames are best for most adjustable beds. You want a frame that will be sturdy enough to handle readjustment and more. While many frames aren’t made of steel, you should look for adjustable beds constructed with steel for a long-lasting and sturdy frame.
Each adjustable bed has a few adjustment points. These are the points where the bed can move. Most adjustable beds use two adjustment points: the head and feet. More adjustment points mean a more comfortable bed, though. Some adjustable frames use other adjustment points, such as a point at the neck to help you read or watch TV in bed more comfortably. Look for an adjustable bed with multiple different adjustment points that match your preferences.
An adjustable bed’s weight limit is more than just a statistic. It’s important to pay attention to this weight limit – it’s the maximum limit of how much weight the frame can hold, especially when adjusting. While most weight limits are high, it’s important to note that this figure should include the mattress, anyone sleeping on the mattress, and anything else put on the bed (including pillows, duvets, and weighted blankets). Exceeding this weight limit is not recommended.
Disregarding this weight limit may void your warranty. Adjustable beds can only raise a certain amount of weight, and pushing them beyond their recorded limits can cause the adjustable bed to break or work incorrectly. If the adjustable bed breaks due to misuse in this way, most warranties won’t cover replacement or repair.
A warranty protects you from manufacturing defects or quality control issues that occur within a certain period after your purchase. A longer warranty is always better, as it ensures that you are protected for longer. Some frames have a longer warranty, but the standard is about 10 years. Before you decide which adjustable bed you want to purchase, read each warranty carefully. Some companies don’t cover certain damages under their warranty. While it may be impossible to foresee specific issues with your adjustable bed, a warranty that covers the widest range of issues is best.
Adjustable Bed Special Features
While adjustable beds might seem simple, many of them come with a wealth of special features. These features can sometimes be the deciding factor that leads you to choose one adjustable base over another. Here are some of the most common special features you should look out for as you shop for an adjustable bed.
- Massage. Most adjustable beds have some form of massage. Certain zones vibrate when the massage setting is selected, allowing your body to relax.
- Timer. Some bases can run on a schedule. This means that after a certain amount of time, they’ll return to a flat position. If you often fall asleep watching TV, this option might be great for you.
- Zero gravity. Zero gravity completely relieves any pressure on your body. A zero-gravity setting creates a unique position for your head and feet that makes you feel like you’re floating on the mattress. It’s a great option to have after a long day.
- Memory. Have you found your favourite position? A bed with memory features allows you to save this position, making it easy to return to it when you’re ready to get cozy.
- Wall-hugging. A wall-hugging bed shifts back towards the wall as the head of the frame lifts. This means you’re still in the same position as before the adjustment. It doesn’t leave a gap, either.
- Presets. Position presets come pre-loaded into the frame. These presets may include different ‘recommended’ positions, and you can switch between them with the remote control.
- Under-Bed lights. LED lights located under the bed can illuminate the floor in the middle of the night, so you don’t have to turn a light on to go to the bathroom.
- Lock Button. This is a child lock, but it doesn’t have to be for children. When the bed isn’t in use, the controls are unusable to prevent your custom settings from being reset.
- Silent Alarm. Tired of your alarm clock? Adjustable beds that feature a silent alarm will gently shake you awake instead of relying on loud noises to get you up.
- App Control. App control may feature alternate remote control features. Either way, you can control the settings on your adjustable bed via a connected app on your smart device.
- Voice Control. In addition to the remote or app control, some adjustable beds feature voice control.
- Return to Flat. Adjustable beds with this option include a button that removes all custom settings, returning the mattress to the flat position.
It’s almost impossible to find an adjustable bed that has all of these features. You should focus on the ones you think you want or need most, and then look for an adjustable bed that works within those options. Keep in mind that some companies may offer different names for these features, especially if they advertise the feature as a proprietary option.
As we mentioned above, these are the areas we used to evaluate the adjustable beds on our list. As you’re shopping, you can compare the adjustable beds in these areas, too. Here’s a more in-depth look at each of these performance parameters.
You’ll have to set your adjustable bed up yourself. Because of this, most companies attempt to make it as simple as possible. Still, you should look at how easy the adjustable bed is to set up. Look at instruction manuals if you can find them online, or skim user reviews to find any mention of a challenging setup issue. This can save you hours of frustration in the end.
Some people can sleep no matter what’s going on around them. For the rest of us, a frame with quiet operation can make it easier to sleep through the night. If you or your partner is a light sleeper, the noise level of your adjustable bed should be considered. If you need to make even the slightest adjustment for your bed frame in the middle of the night, you may wake your partner. Since most frames are a bit loud, you should look for adjustable farmes with lower noise levels.
While most adjustable beds offer a free range of motion (meaning there are an unlimited number of available positions), others may offer only a few set positions. When you’re shopping, you should look for preset positions. You should also see if the bed mentions being freely adjustable. Choose the option you prefer. Freely adjustable frames allow you to fine-tune your sleep experience to find the position that is best for you. Options with presets, on the other hand, may take the guesswork out of finding the right angle for your adjustable bed.
Ease of Use
Adjustable beds shouldn’t be difficult to use. Look for beds that are easy to adjust, offer clear controls, and adjust via your voice, an app, or more. If you’re concerned with operating the adjustable bed, look for an option with simple buttons or fewer features. While most companies try to make their beds as simple as possible, the number of features can impact how difficult the bed is to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most adjustable beds will only work for latex, all-foam and hybrid mattresses. If you are seeking an adjustable bed that will accommodate an innerspring coil mattress, the Puffy Adjustable Bed is a great choice, as all mattress types will work great with it.
Adjustable beds will work for all sleeping positions, even stomach sleepers. The adjustable base supports your current mattress, so those who are comfortable stomach sleeping on their mattress will be just as comfortable using it with an adjustable bed.
It’s a common misconception that adjustable bed frames are noisy, with their motor being disruptive and loud each time a new position is chosen. Nowadays though. Adjustable beds are made with comfort and a peaceful ambience in mind and are incredibly quiet.