Canadians with adjustable beds take their sleep seriously, and finding a perfect mattress that works great with your bed is key. Picking a mattress for your adjustable bed often means finding a flexible, lower-profile model that can move with your bed easily. Our professional team and testers searched high and low for the perfect adjustable mattress on the market.
Each adjustable bed mattress was tested on multiple features, including temperature control, motion isolation for co-sleepers and flexibility. Each of our at-home testers evaluated and reviewed multiple mattresses for extended lengths of time to experience them fairly. Only the best mattresses made our review today. Here are our choices for the best adjustable bed mattresses in Canada of 2023.
Best Adjustable Bed Mattresses for Canadians in September 2023
- Best Overall – The Douglas Alpine Mattress
- Best Budget Friendly – Octave Vista Mattress
- Best for Pressure Relief – Silk & Snow Mattress
- Best for Co-Sleepers – The Endy Original Mattress
- Best for Edge Sleepers – Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
- Best for Lumbar Support – Endy Hybrid Mattress
- Best for Cooling – Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress
Why Did We Choose These Mattresses for Adjustable Beds in Canada?
The adjustable bed mattresses in our list today were chosen after gathering test results and user feedback. Our team of professional researchers and testers narrowed the models to a small number after spending hundreds of hours compelling data and ensuring only the best mattresses were recommended. Here’s why we chose each of the mattresses for our list.
The Douglas Alpine Mattress is a great mattress for adjustable beds with multiple outstanding features. Whether you need superior cooling properties or co-sleep with a restless partner, this mattress is our favourite adjustable bed mattress in Canada.
Canadians on a budget will appreciate the Octave Vista Mattress, our favourite budget-friendly adjustable bed mattress. This medium-firm mattress has great cooling properties as well as excellent pressure relief for those needing support for their hips and shoulders.
Many Canadians suffer from aches and pains or pressure point problems with their mattress. For joint pain and pressure relief, consider the Silk & Snow Mattress. This mattress is budget-friendly, has excellent temperature control and excels in providing deep pressure relief.
The Endy Original Mattress is a great all-foam mattress that works great at moving within an adjustable bed frame. With its fantastic motion isolation properties, this is our favourite mattress in our review for those who co-sleep.
Many people struggle with mattresses that end up sinking and sagging along the perimeter of the bed over time due to repeated sleeping or sitting. We chose the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress as our top pick for an adjustable bed mattress for edge sleepers. This mattress has outstanding edge support reinforcements, ensuring firmness and support, even for those who sleep there nightly.
Many Canadians suffer from back pain and need a mattress with additional support. The Endy Hybrid Mattress is our favourite mattress for adjustable bed frames for those needing lumbar support. This mattress has great spinal alignment and support with its zoned coil base, which helps cushion the whole body and alleviate back pain.
Those looking for a mattress for their adjustable bed with superior cooling properties should consider the Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress. This mattress has a plush and comfortable Euro-Top, offering great support and excellent temperature control.
The Douglas Alpine Mattress
It's Great For:
Canadians looking for the best all-around mattress that they can use with an adjustable bed will love the Douglas Alpine Mattress. This mattress, which is our pick for the best adjustable bed mattress in Canada, has premium cooling properties, great motion isolation and fantastic pressure relief. This all-foam model is flexible and works perfectly with whatever adjustable base you may have.
The Douglas Alpine Mattress features a CoolSense cover, which is made from an ultra-soft and breathable fabric woven with Infinitex fibres that actively wick away heat and moisture as you sleep. Whether you naturally sleep hot or just live in a warmer climate, this cover helps to reduce body temperatures while sleeping. This cover can be removed and machine-washed as often as needed for accidental spills or those needing regular cleaning due to dust or seasonal allergies.
Canadians who tend to sleep extra hot will benefit from the top layer of ecoLight Gel Foam. Infused with their unique Polar Temperature Balancing technology, this top layer of gel foam ensures you won’t wake up hot and sweaty. Those who are seeking a mattress that helps with pressure relief for achy joints will find that this layer is cushioning and supportive.
In the middle of the Douglas Alpine, a layer of Elastex foam supports all sleeping positions and is great for couples or co-sleepers needing extra motion isolation. This foam layer mimics latex in feel and responsiveness and will adapt and change as you move through the night, making for incredible sleep.
The base of the mattress is made of a layer of high-density support foam. Unlike traditional memory foam, this denser foam prevents sinking and sagging and won’t break down over time. This flexible foundation is great for adjustable beds, as it easily moves but still retains proper firmness and support. This mattress is great for all Canadians and has many features that put it at the top of the list.
- CoolSense Cover. The cover of the Douglas Alpine Mattress is removable and machine washable. Those who sleep warm will benefit from the Infinitex fibres, which wick away heat and moisture throughout the night.
- Cooling Gel. This eco-Light Cooling Gel Foam layer is infused with Douglas Polar Temperature Balancing technology, making it one of the most cool and comfortable mattresses on the market.
- Elastex Foam. This middle layer of the Douglas Alpine Mattress mimics latex in feel and support and has great responsiveness. Those needing pressure relief will find this layer adapts to all sleeping positions and motion.
- Motion Support Base. Made of thick high-density foam, the foundation of the Douglas Alpine is supportive and designed to last for years to come. This base is flexible enough for adjustable beds, and those who co-sleep will love the motion isolation it provides.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was supportive and comfortable and worked great in adjustable bed frames. Our testers loved the cooling gel foam and pressure relief the faux latex offered.”
Best Budget Friendly
Octave Vista Mattress
It's Great For:
The Octave Vista is a perfect option for Canadians looking for an adjustable bed mattress on a budget. This medium-firm mattress is flexible enough for all adjustable frames yet supportive enough for those needing deeper pressure point support.
Those who naturally sleep hot or live in warmer climates will find cooling relief from the unique cover of the Vista. Made from cooling CryoFusion nanofibres, the cover actively reduces temperatures and wicks away moisture, keeping sleepers comfortable and sweat-free throughout the night. Those who need to frequently wash their mattress will find that the removable and machine washable cover is easy to toss in with other bedding.
Made from three different layers of foam, the Octave Vista is durable and won’t break down as quickly as some other all-foam mattresses. At the top of the mattress, a 2” thick layer of cooling foam helps users regulate and reduce their body temperature and night sweats. Using a combination of copper threading and PolarMAX phase change material, this unique foam is also incredibly supportive and great for cradling joints, no matter what position you sleep in.
In the middle of the Vista is a 2” layer of Elastex foam, which acts like latex in responsiveness and bounce. While this foam helps with giving a slight spring to the mattress, Canadians won’t feel like they are sinking into the mattress, especially when changing positions or getting in and out of bed.
The foundation of the Octave Vista is made from 8” thick high-density memory foam. While other memory foam mattresses can retain heat, causing sleepers to wake up hot and stuffy- the Vista has air channels throughout this layer, helping to reduce high temperatures and maximize airflow. With its five-zoned support system, Canadians seeking pressure relief will find their joints supported, while co-sleepers will appreciate this base’s excellent motion isolation.
The Octave Vista is an appealing option for most Canadians, especially those seeking a budget mattress. Those who sleep hot, as well as co-sleepers, will benefit from this mattress the most. With its lengthy 365 sleep trial, you will have plenty of time to test it out for yourself.
- Washable Cooling Cover. Made from CryoFusion nanofibres, this cover helps to reduce heat and sweating. Both removable and washable, this cooling cover is great for any Canadian who tends to sleep hot or lives in a warm climate.
- Cooling Foam Layer. Made from a unique cooling foam that combines copper threading and PolarMAX phase change material, users will stay comfortably cool night after night.
- Elastex Core Foam. Mimicking natural latex, this responsive layer is perfect for those needing pressure relief from aching joints and pressure points.
- High-Density Foundation. Made from thick, high-density foam, the base of the Vista mattress helps maximize airflow while providing excellent motion isolation and durability.
Our Expert’s Take
“Canadians on a budget will love the high-quality Octave Vista, which has temperature control and pressure relief properties often only found in mattresses with a much higher price point.”
Best for Pressure Relief
Silk & Snow Mattress
It's Great For:
For Canadians needing extra pressure relief due to achy joints or back pain, the Silk and Snow Mattress is a wonderful choice. This budget-friendly mattress is our choice for the best adjustable bed mattress in Canada for those needing pressure relief. This all-foam mattress is not only supportive but also helps reduce overheating and night sweats.
At the top of the Silk and Snow Mattress is an antimicrobial cover, which works hard at preventing bacteria and odour growth so your mattress always stays fresh and clean. This soft cover is great for those with allergies or sensitive skin needing a clean surface, as the top can be zipped off and washed for easy cleaning.
In the middle of the mattress is a thick layer of cooling gel memory foam. For those who sleep warm, this layer works great at reducing and regulating temperatures throughout the night, preventing night sweats. Those seeking pressure relief will benefit from this layer, which cushions and cradles the body, adapting to pressure points so you can wake up pain-free.
Under the cooling gel, Canadians seeking extra support will find relief and added pressure relief with a layer of performance foam. This foam is incredibly durable and great for all sleeping positions. It is highly flexible, slightly soft and is great in helping you stay comfortable when using an adjustable bed. Couples and co-sleepers will find that the motion isolation with this mattress is excellent.
At the base of the Silk and Snow Mattress, a layer of high-density foam makes up the solid foundation. While this support base is durable and stable, it offers unique flexibility when paired with an adjustable bed and will move easily. This mattress is a wonderful option for those seeking a mattress for their adjustable bed that provides pressure relief and aids in alleviating joint pain.
- Removable Cover. The cover of the Silk & Snow mattress is antimicrobial. It is soft, stretchy, and easy to remove. You can wash it with the rest of your sheets, too.
- Gel Memory Foam. Helping to keep users completely cool throughout the night, this foam also works hard at supporting achy joints and aiding in pressure relief.
- Performance Layer. Canadians with joint pain will benefit from this performance layer that supports pressure points as well as reduces motion transfer between partners.
- Support Base. A layer of thick high-density memory foam makes up the base of the Silk & Snow mattress, which is flexible enough for adjustable beds.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress worked great with adjustable bed frames and was flexible and comfortable. Our testers with joint pain found the pressure relief measures great and woke up regularly pain-free.”
Best for Co-Sleepers
The Endy Original Mattress
It's Great For:
For those seeking a great adjustable bed mattress for co-sleeping, the Endy Original Mattress is an excellent choice. Many Canadians choose not to split their adjustable bed into two twins and must find a great mattress that will work for two people. This mattress has great temperature control and superior motion isolation, making it perfect for sharing a bed.
The cover of the Endy Original features a super soft micro-quilted cover that is breathable and airy, allowing for maximum airflow. Those with allergies or who tend to overheat will find that this cover won’t have you feeling stuffy or sweaty. The top of the cover can be easily zipped off and removed and is machine washable.
The Endy Original Mattress is made up of three thick foam layers. The first layer is made of Endy Comfort Foam, which reduces core temperatures throughout the night with its open-cell technology. This foam allows warm air to pass through and out of the mattress rather than becoming trapped. Those who sleep hot or next to a warm sleeper will appreciate how cool this mattress is.
Canadians who co-sleep will benefit from the middle layer of the Endy Original. This layer of Endy Transition Foam absorbs motion and stops it from transferring. Co-sleeping next to a restless partner no longer means having to sacrifice sleep with this excellent motion isolation.
The foundation of the Endy Original is a dense layer of high-density foam. This base is flexible enough for an adjustable bed frame yet firm enough to be incredibly supportive. The foam helps the Endy keep its shape longer than some other memory foam mattresses on the market and not break down as quickly. This mattress is ideal for any co-sleeping Canadian looking for their next mattress for their adjustable bed.
- Quilted Cover. Both removable and washable, the cover of the Endy Original is extremely clean and antimicrobial. Those with sensitive skin will appreciate the cover’s softness, while those who sleep hot will enjoy the cooler air circulation it provides.
- Endy Comfort Foam. The top layer of the mattress is open-cell foam, which allows heat to leave the mattress, keeping sleepers cooler all night long.
- Transition Foam. Those who co-sleep will benefit from this thick layer of motion-absorbing foam. Canadians with restless partners will be able to enjoy undisturbed sleep with the motion isolation properties.
- Support Base. The foundation of the Endy Original is great for adjustable bed frames with its flexibility and incredible support, and it won’t break down as quickly as some other all-foam mattresses.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was supportive and slept nice and cool. Our testers who co-slept found the motion isolation fantastic and weren’t woken up by their partner at night.”
Video Demonstration of the Endy Mattress
Best for Edge Sleepers
Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
Many Canadians may experience mattresses that tend to sink and sag along the edges of the bed over time, especially for those who sleep there regularly. The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is our top pick for an adjustable bed mattress for edge sleepers. With a unique reinforced perimeter, this mattress will keep its shape and firmness over time, even for those who sleep and sit on the edge daily.
The cover of the Silk & Snow Hybrid is made from an airy microbial fabric, which helps prevent the growth of bacteria and odours, ensuring a clean and healthy sleeping surface. Under this soft cover is a layer of quilted foam, which feels like a soft cloud without having you feeling trapped in the mattress. This foam is cooler than traditional memory foam, so even the plush layers won’t have you overheating throughout the night.
Co-sleepers will benefit from the second layer of this mattress, made of high-density memory foam. This layer stops motion from being transferred, even between the most restless and active partners. Those needing pressure relief due to sleeping positions or joint pain will find that this foam cushions and cradles the body, alleviating pain and discomfort so you won’t wake up sore or stiff.
The foundation of the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is made of tempered pocked steel coils. With excellent zoned support that targets pressure points and areas needing firmness, these coils are quiet and supportive. The base moves well enough that the mattress can flex with adjustable bed frames easily.
Edge sleepers will find the reinforced perimeter of foam that surrounds the mattress to be extremely beneficial. Unlike most mattresses that eventually cause slippage or sinking along the edges, the Silk & Snow Hybrid stays supportive and firm. This is a great adjustable bed mattress for any Canadian who sleeps near the edge of the bed and hoping for long-term ownership.
- Clean Cover. This breathable cover is made from an antimicrobial fabric and keeps the mattress healthy by preventing bacteria and odour growth.
- Cooling Layer. This layer of cooling gel foam is excellent for any Canadian who sleeps hot or lives in a warmer climate. It helps reduce temperature build-up throughout the night.
- Support Foam. In the middle of the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is a layer of support foam that is great for those needing pressure relief or motion isolation from restless partners.
- Edge Support. Surrounding the steel coil spring base is a thick layer of reinforced foam, which runs along the perimeter of the mattress and prevents sinking and sagging over time due to edge sleeping.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress kept our testers sleeping cool night after night without sweating or overheating. Our testers found the edge support excellent and loved the firm support when sleeping there.”
Best for Lumbar Support
Endy Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
The Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress is a fantastic hybrid mattress with superior temperature control and support. This mattress is our top pick for the best adjustable bed mattress with cooling properties. Whether you naturally sleep hot or live in a warm climate, this mattress is a great choice.
The soft, quilted cover of the Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid is breathable, with advanced air circulation. The fabric is infused with CryoFusion cooling nanofibres, unique to Logan & Cove, which will keep sleepers cool night after night. With a plus layer under the cover field with cooling gel foam and hollow-fibre fill, this top Euro-Top cover will make you feel like you are sleeping on a cloud.
In the middle of the mattress is a combination of three layers that help cool and support sleepers. The first layer is made of ecoLuxe cooling gel foam, which reduces and regulates temperatures, even for the warmest of sleepers. Below that, a layer of Aeroduct micro coils channel warm air and heat away from your body and out the sides of the mattress. At the bottom, soy-infused Elastex foam cushions and supports sleepers while relieving achy joints and pressure points.
Made of individually wrapped pocket coils, the flexible base of the Logan & Cover Frontier Hybrid is responsive to restless sleepers and works great in adjustable beds. These coils are arranged in targeted zones, which are softer around the hips and shoulders and firmed in the middle for lumbar support. This mattress is an ideal option for any Canadian needing a top-of-the-line cooling mattress for an adjustable bed.
- Plush Euro-Top. This luxurious Euro-Top of the Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid is soft and comfortable but won’t have you sinking into the mattress.
- Cooling Layers. With multiple layers of cooling fabric and gel foam, even the hottest sleepers will be able to sleep cool and dry.
- Aeroduct Coils. These aeroduct micro coils channel warm air and heat away from the body and out of the mattress.
- Supportive Coil Base. The base of the mattress is made of individually wrapped zoned pocket coils, which are supportive, responsive and flexible enough for an adjustable bed.
Our Expert’s Take
“This supportive and flexible mattress is great for any adjustable bed. Our testers loved the cooling properties and woke up sweat-free, without overheating.”
Best for Cooling
Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
Canadians who suffer from back pain, have joint issues or are seeking superior lumbar support will love the Endy Hybrid Mattress. This mattress is great for those looking for an adjustable bed mattress with good pressure relief and alignment support. With fantastic cooling properties and excellent motion isolation, this mattress is a great choice for most users.
Similar to a plush pillowtop, the Endy Hybrid Mattress is quilted and soft and feels like sleeping on a supportive cloud. The breathable and airy cover helps reduce temperatures so you won’t feel like you are trapped in your mattress or deal with overheating and sweating. Those needing extra support will feel comfortable with the medium firmness of this mattress top.
The top foam layer of the Endy Hybrid is made of thick comfort foam that is created with open-cell technology. This airy foam helps keep sleepers’ temperatures low and regulated, no matter how hot they naturally sleep. This layer is supportive and comfortable, gently cradling pressure points for all sleeping positions.
Those who are often woken up in the middle of the night by restless partners or active pets will appreciate the layer of Endy Transition Foam, which limits the amount of motion transfer. This thick layer has excellent motion isolation and aids those needing pressure relief from back and joint pain. Canadians suffering from chronic back issues needing deep lumbar support will benefit from this pressure-relieving foam that is flexible and moves easily with an adjustable bed frame.
At the base of the Endy Hybrid Mattress is a coil spring foundation, which is more supportive and durable than all-foam mattress bases. The base is made of individually wrapped carbon-steel pocket coils that are quiet and won’t squeak with movement. Each of the coils is placed within targeted zones that aid in comfort and deep relief. Those needing extra lumbar support will benefit from the middle section of these zones with its firmer coils that offer supreme back and spinal support. The outer two-thirds of these coils are softer and gently cushion the hips and shoulders for balanced full-body alignment. The Endy Hybrid Mattress is a great adjustable bed mattress for those seeking fantastic lumbar support.
- Breathable Cover. This plush, quilted cover significantly reduces minimal heat by maximizing airflow and reducing heat closest to your body.
- Comfort Foam. Those that sleep warm will love this layer of comfort foam, which cools even the hottest of sleepers. For Canadians needing pressure relief, this layer of foam helps cradle and support all sleeping positions, especially those who sleep on their back.
- Endy Transition Foam. For anyone who co-sleeps with a restless partner or active pet, this layer of thick foam helps absorb motion and relieves pressure for achy joints or back pain.
- Zoned Coil Base. Made of individually wrapped pocket coils, the base of the Endy Hybrid Mattress is extra supportive and zoned for targeted lumbar support.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was firm and supportive, and our testers who had back pain thought the extra lumbar support was incredibly restorative.”
Why Trust Us?
We don’t recommend mattresses lightly. Each mattress is selected based on an in-depth process that involves extensive lab testing and tester feedback. Each of our testers is given very specific instructions and provides detailed feedback after 30 nights of sleeping on the mattress. We compare tester information with our tests to arrive at our recommendations. Here are some of the criteria we used to select the mattresses on our list.
- Mattress Type and Compatibility. Some mattresses simply don’t work with adjustable bases. Because of the very specific recommendation criteria here, we checked to make sure each mattress was compatible with adjustable beds and was of the correct type to make using one simple.
- Durability and Flexibility. To withstand constant movement, a mattress must be durable and flexible. We looked at the materials within each mattress to recommend those that would flex easily and keep supporting you for the life of the mattress.
- Available Sizes. The sizes the mattress is available in can impact compatibility with your adjustable bed. We looked for mattresses available in the largest sizes, including a select few available in Split King.
- Special Features. We looked beyond the basics for each of our mattresses. Instead of looking at just type, firmness, and feel, we also looked at temperature control features, motion isolation, edge support, and more. We looked at the entire package before recommending these mattresses to you.
The Ideal Mattress for an Adjustable Bed
Choosing a mattress for your adjustable bed can seem difficult, but it’s fairly simple to determine which mattresses might work. The ideal mattress for an adjustable bed is:
- Compatible with adjustable frames
- Memory foam, latex, or hybrid
- Made with durable materials
- Between 8” and 12” thick, or up to 15” thick
- Made with pressure-relieving materials
- Extremely supportive for most sleeping positions and body types
These are the parameters we started with when determining which mattresses would be best for adjustable beds in Canada. You’ll find that most of the mattresses on our list exemplify most of these qualities, making them ideal for those who own adjustable frames.
Ensuring that your mattress is compatible with an adjustable frame is incredibly important. Using a mattress that is not ideal for adjustable beds can lead to damage, discomfort, and even injury in some cases. Make sure that the mattress you choose exemplifies these qualities, but that it is also safe for use on an adjustable frame.
How to Choose a Mattress for an Adjustable Bed
Before you can choose a mattress for your adjustable bed, you should understand a few basics about mattresses in general. If you know what you’re looking for, it’s much easier to purchase a mattress that will work for you. The following tips will help you choose a mattress you’ll love.
Type of Mattress
There are a few different types of mattresses on the market, but only a few of them are compatible with adjustable beds. Keep in mind that each mattress is different, regardless of its type. Check each mattress for compatibility before you decide to use them with your adjustable bed.
- All Foam. All foam mattresses are made with layers of memory foam or latex. While some mattresses can be exclusively one type of foam, most use a combination of foam types.
- Memory Foam Mattresses are great at isolating motion and relieving pressure. They contour to your body to prevent pressure points and deliver support right where you need it. Memory foam can also retain heat, so temperature control features are necessary for those who sleep hot.
- Latex provides the same contouring relief as memory foam without heat retention. Latex is more responsive and helps eliminate the quicksand feeling often associated with memory foam.
- Hybrid. Hybrid mattresses use a combination of foam and pocketed springs to create a comfortable, supportive surface. Hybrid mattresses can be more supportive than foam mattresses. However, they don’t isolate motion as well. Only select hybrid mattresses are compatible with adjustable frames.
Innerspring mattresses should not be used with adjustable beds. They are rigid, and attempting to use one with an adjustable bed may lead to damage to both the mattress and the frame. Keep compatibility in mind when you choose the mattress type that works for you.
Firmness, Body Type, and Sleeping Position
Every mattress has a certain firmness level. The firmness level you prefer is entirely personal, though it’s often tied to your body type and sleeping position. The following chart can guide you toward choosing the firmness that’s right for you. However, it’s important to note that these are just guidelines – your preferences may vary.
Up to 130lbs (59kg)
Between 130lbs and 230lbs (50kg – 104kg)
More than 230lbs (104kg)
Durability and Flexibility
Two of the most important attributes of a mattress used with an adjustable bed are durability and flexibility. The mattress must be made of materials that are durable enough to stand up to adjustment. They must move with the base regularly without breaking down or tearing.
Your mattress also has to be flexible enough to bend without being damaged. For the best mattress that offers both durability and flexibility, consider a memory foam, latex, or hybrid mattress. These options are usually made to be compatible with adjustable beds. Keep in mind that innerspring mattresses shouldn’t be used with your adjustable bed under any circumstances.
The height of the mattress is something you must consider when you use an adjustable bed. Ideally, you should look at a mattress between 8” and 14” for the best Canadian adjustable bed experience. Mattresses taller than 14” may not bend when adjusting the bed, as their thickness works against them. However, steer clear of mattresses that are less than 8”. These thinner mattresses may not be as durable as their thicker counterparts, meaning that they won’t work as well with your adjustable bed.
One of the most important parts of your mattress is pressure relief. Every sleeper needs some form of pressure relief, regardless of how you sleep. A mattress with thick foam layers and lots of memory foam and latex layers will relieve pressure better than most other options. Consider a mattress that offers soft transition layers to support your deepest pressure points.
Pillow-top mattresses also offer great pressure relief. The softer layers of foam and fill at the top of the mattress make them more comfortable to sink into, which is great for those who need to reduce pressure points. Since mattresses for adjustable beds are usually easier to adjust or bend, they can often offer better pressure relief.
A lot of Canadians overheat as they sleep. Foam mattresses can make this worse. Memory foam retains heat, meaning that those who already sleep hot will be even more uncomfortable on standard memory foam. However, many mattresses have taken steps to decrease heat retention in their foam mattresses, including the use of cooling gel foams, aerated foams, cooling covers, and other measures.
If you sleep hot, consider a mattress with as many temperature control features as possible. It’s worth noting that hybrid mattresses are more breathable in general, which can lead to better outcomes for those who sleep hot.
Whether you sleep with your children, pets, or have a restless partner, motion isolation ensures that you sleep better. Foam mattresses, especially, are great at reducing the transfer of motion across your mattress. When your partner tosses and turns, or even gets out of bed, you won’t be able to feel the resulting movement on your side of the bed. This means you won’t wake up as much during the night.
Foam mattresses are best at preventing motion transfer, though mattresses with pocket coils do a great job, too.
What sizes is the mattress available in? Most adjustable beds come in larger sizes (King, Queen, California King, or Split King). Many of the mattresses on our list are available in smaller sizes as well, but it’s important to choose the correct size for your adjustable frame.
Split King is a special size that works with adjustable beds. If each side of your bed can adjust independently, a Split King is ideal. Essentially, Split King is two Twin XL mattresses that can connect to create a single mattress or detach for custom adjustment. If you and your partner have different needs, this might be the perfect size for you.
Whichever option you choose, make sure to match your mattress size to your adjustable frame size. It’s incredibly important to keep size in mind when pairing your adjustable bed with a compatible mattress.
If you sit or sleep near the edge of the bed, you may have noticed a sinking or sliding feeling. Foam mattresses are notorious for being less supportive at the edges, which may lead to some uncomfortable situations when you get up in the morning. Often, the edges of the mattress don’t get the same support as the centre, so you may wake up feeling less comfortable if you sleep near the edge of the bed.
If maintaining support to the edge of your mattress is important, consider choosing a mattress with edge support perimeters, denser coils at the edges, or other edge support features. One or more of these features can help make your nights (and mornings) a little more comfortable.
Frequently Asked Questions
For Canadians with adjustable bed frames, finding a mattress that pairs well with it can be challenging. When choosing the best adjustable mattress, look for a mattress that is either all-foam or hybrid and avoid using a traditional full coil mattress. Make sure the mattress is low profile, as thicker mattresses may have difficulty bending.
All of the mattresses in our review today are Canadian-made. That means that no matter which of these adjustable bed frame mattresses you choose, they are manufactured and distributed right here in Canada.
Each of these adjustable bed mattresses comes shipped to you in a tall narrow box. Setting them up is very easy, and delivery is not as complicated as with a full coil spring mattress. Simply unroll your new mattress, set on the adjustable bed frame and then unwrap the compressed packing. Once the packing is removed, your new mattress will fully expand over the next 24 hours.