Many Canadians wake up hot, sweaty and overheating throughout the night. Frequently, this is because of sleeping on a mattress that retains heat. Whether you naturally sleep hot or like to keep your bedroom warmer, choosing a mattress with cooling features can be your key to a great night’s sleep. Many mattresses offer unique cooling measures designed to wick away heat and moisture and increase airflow through the mattress, allowing sleepers to wake up cool and sweat-free. Our team of mattress experts and testers spent hundreds of hours trying out all the best cooling mattresses available in Canada to help you decide which is the best option for your next mattress purchase.
All of the mattresses on our list today were tested on multiple fronts for both comfort and cooling properties. Each tester tried the mattresses for extended lengths of time and tested numerous mattresses to get fair evaluations. Only the best mattresses made it into our comparison today. Here are our picks for the best cooling mattresses in Canada of 2023.
Best Cooling Mattresses for Canadians
- Best Overall: Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
- Best for Allergies: The Douglas Mattress
- Best All-Foam Mattresses: The Endy Mattress
- Best Organic Mattress: Silk & Snow Organic Mattress
- Best Hybrid Mattress: Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress
- Best for Pressure Relief: Recore Mattress
- Best for Motion Isolation: Endy Hybrid Mattress
- Best Pillow Top Mattress: Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress
- Best Firmness Options: Novosbed Mattress
- Best for Budget-Conscious Canadians: Silk & Snow Mattress
Why Did We Choose These Cooling Mattresses in Canada?
Each of the cooling mattresses we are comparing today was carefully chosen after hours of research and testing. With our professional team and many testers, we poured through all of the feedback and details that make each of these mattresses unique. Here is why each cooling mattress made our list today.
With a durable coil base, the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is our choice for the best overall cooling mattress that you can buy in Canada. This mattress has great edge support and pressure relief options while keeping sleepers cool all night.
Canadians with allergies will appreciate the Douglas Mattress, which we chose as the best cooling mattress for those with allergies. Whether you suffer from seasonal or latex allergies, this mattress combats them both while reducing body temperature.
The Endy Mattress is a simple yet effective mattress that is our pick for the best all-foam cooling mattress in Canada. This mattress features multiple foam layers that are supportive and comfortable while helping sleepers regulate their body temperature.
Eco-conscious Canadians will enjoy our pick for the best organic cooling mattress, the Silk & Snow Organic Mattress. This model is made from 100% sustainable materials, all sourced from Canada and uses these natural fibres to keep users cool rather than chemicals.
The Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress is our pick for Canada’s best hybrid cooling mattress. It features a plush pillowtop, a supportive base and multiple layers of cooling material to wick away heat.
Whether you are an athlete or just like to exercise regularly, finding a mattress that helps muscle recovery and keeps body temperatures down overnight can be tricky. Luckily, we found that the Recore Mattress does both of those things, providing comfort and support while lowering the heat and is our choice for the best cooling mattress for pressure relief.
For those who co-sleep, finding a mattress that helps prevent motion transfer is essential to a peaceful night’s sleep. The Endy Hybrid Mattress is Canada’s best cooling mattress with motion isolation. Restless partners can now sleep undisturbed while heat and moisture are wicked away.
Want a plush and luxurious mattress with cooling properties? We chose the Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress as Canada’s best cooling pillowtop mattress. This mattress will have you sleeping heat free, which is hard to accomplish for most pillowtop mattresses. Its soft surface is like sleeping on a cloud and is great for those wanting a plush surface.
For those who know the exact firmness they are after in a mattress, the Novosbed Mattress is an excellent option and is our pick for the best cooling mattress with firmness options. This unique mattress allows you to choose between multiple firmness levels at checkout, ensuring you can have the custom mattress you desire while also sleeping cool and comfortable.
Buying a high-quality Canadian mattress shouldn’t break the bank, and the Silk & Snow Mattress is the best cooling mattress for those who are budget-conscious. This all-foam mattress is low-cost while still delivering support and comfort while sleeping sweat-free.
Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
Those seeking a cooling foam mattress that offers the durability of a traditional spring mattress should consider Silk & Snow’s Hybrid Mattress, which combines all-foam layers with a coil foundation. This durable mattress full of features is our pick for the best overall cooling mattress in Canada. If you need extra support from your cooling mattress, you can’t go wrong with the Silk & Snow Hybrid.
The Silk & Snow Hybrid has a soft and breathable quilted and plush top, allowing air to circulate and reduce heat build-up throughout the night. Made of antimicrobial material, the cover stays fresh and prevents the growth of bacteria and odour over time.
For Canadians who sleep warm, the top layer of the Silk & Snow Hybrid is made of cooling foam, which is excellent for those who sleep moderately warm. However, those who sleep extra hot may need a mattress with better temperature control. This mattress reduces heat for most sleepers, despite its plush quilted top, which can often retain heat in other mattresses.
The middle layer of the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is made from high-density memory foam, designed to prevent motion transfer from occurring between partners. For co-sleepers, this layer helps with getting undisturbed sleep. The bottom base layer of this mattress is created from 1,200 zoned coils, ensuring that each part of your body is adequately supported, making it an excellent mattress for those needing extra pressure relief or back support. For those that sleep on the edge of the bed, the reinforced edges support measures to prevent sinking and sagging over time along the perimeter, which is a hard-to-find measure in many mattresses. Overall this mattress is a great hybrid mattress for those who sleep minimally to moderately warm.
- Quilted Foam Layer. This top foam layer is made of a quilted, plush material that helps reduce heat while sleeping. For those who sleep warm, this layer helps keep you cool the entire night.
- Pocket Coil Foundation. Made of 1,200 tempered pocket coils, this base layer of the Silk & Snow Hybrid offers excellent support and helps those suffering from back issues get the alignment needed. The coils are zoned throughout the foundation, providing firm support for the back and legs, with softer coils surrounding your hips and shoulders.
- Antimicrobial Cover. Ensuring a bacteria and odour-free surface, the cover of the Silk & Snow Hybrid is made from an antimicrobial cover that wicks heat and moisture away while sleeping.
- Firm Edge Support. The perimeter of the Silk & Snow Mattress has reinforced firm coil support along the entire mattress, perfect for those who sleep on the edge of the bed. This firm edge support prevents the sinking and slipping that can happen over time in many memory foam mattresses.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress kept our testers, who naturally sleep warm, moderately cool throughout the night without any sweating. Our testers enjoyed the plush, quilted sleeping surface without heat buildup.”
Best for Allergies
It's Great For:
Many Canadians suffer from seasonal or even latex allergies, and finding a cooling mattress that can help alleviate those allergies can be tricky. Luckily we tested the Douglas Mattress, which is our pick for the best cooling mattress for those with allergies. This mattress is a great all-around pick with multiple layers that help reduce and regulate body temperature and features allergy-friendly latex and washable covers.
It’s easy to stay cool throughout the night with the Douglas top cover, made from Infinitex fibres inspired by the mountains in Western Canada. This breathable top can be zipped off and tossed in a washing machine anytime there is a spill or just to keep it fresh and dust free. The Inifitex fibres wick away the heat and moisture closest to your body for a dry and comfortable sleep.
The top layer of the Douglas Mattress is made of an ecoLight cooling gel foam. This foam layer will help keep you cool no matter how hot you sleep. Made with 40% less carbon input than most other memory foam, this top layer is not only cool to the touch but also environmentally friendly. For those who need pressure support, the ecoLight foam does a great job supporting achy joints or painful pressure points.
Canadians with latex allergies will appreciate the middle layer of the Douglas, made with their unique Elastex Foam. This foam mimics latex in feel, support and motion isolation but lacks natural latex, perfect for those with allergies. For those who co-sleep, the bottom base layer of Support Foam helps prevent motion transfer between partners while providing a stable and durable base.
- ecoLight Cooling Gel. This gel foam layer instantly regulates and reduces body temperature, even for those who sleep extra hot and stay cool overnight.
- Infinitex Fibre Cover. Made of cool-to-the-touch fibres, this cover can be removed and washed, making it an excellent choice for those who suffer from seasonal allergies.
- Elastex Foam Layer. For those who are allergic to latex, this Elastex Foam layer mimics latex and supports those who need pressure relief and motion isolation without using actual latex.
- Motion Support Base. Those seeking excellent motion isolation support will appreciate the thick foundational layer of the Douglas, which is comfortable and great for all sleeping positions.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was great for our testers with allergies, and they appreciated it being latex free and having a washable cover. The cooling gel helped our testers stay free from waking up hot and sweaty.”
Best All-Foam Mattress
The Endy Mattress
It's Great For:
For those looking for a great all-foam mattress with cooling properties, the Endy Original Mattress is a fantastic choice. As our pick for the best all-foam cooling mattress, this mattress has a breathable cover and multiple layers of airy and breathable foam. At a lower cost than some others on our list today, the Endy Original is a simple, high-quality mattress that delivers on many counts, including motion isolation and pressure relief.
The Endy Original has a top micro-quilted cover that is machine washable and easily removed. Soft and breathable, this cover helps keep the air fresh and clean while releasing trapped heat closest to your body.
Keeping you cool throughout the night is primarily due to the first layer of Endy Comfort Foam, made with open-cell technology that further releases heat and regulates your temperature. This layer is supportive and cushioning, making it great for those seeking pressure relief or who suffer from back pain.
For Canadians who co-sleep, the Endy Transition Layer prevents motion transfer from even the most restless partners. The bottom base of the Endy Original is created from high-density foam, ensuring the mattress won’t break down as fast as other mattresses over time, making it incredibly durable.
All the foam layers of the Endy Original are considered temperature neutral, which not only helps reduce and stabilize your body temperature night after night and keep you from waking up hot and sweaty but also stabilizes the mattress’s shape even in warmer weather.
- Endy Comfort Foam. The top layer of the Endy Original features foam made with open-cell technology, working hard at keeping Canadians cool while sleeping.
- Micro-Quilt Cover. This washable cover is great for those with allergies or wanting to clean their mattress regularly. Made of a breathable fabric, the air is freely circulated, releasing trapped heat for a comfortable night’s sleep.
- Transition Layer. This supportive foam layer provides pressure relief for side and back sleepers, as well as motion isolation for those who co-sleep.
- Support Foam. The durable base of the Endy Original is made from temperature-neutral high-density foam, which is durable and helps keep the mattress from softening due to fluctuating ambient temperatures.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was supportive and cool and worked great for our testers needing added support. Those of our testers who naturally sleep warm woke up without sweating or overheating.”
Best Organic Mattress
Silk & Snow Organic Mattress
It's Great For:
As our top pick for the best organic cooling mattress, the Silk and Snow Organic Mattress is an excellent model made with eco-conscious Canadians in mind. Built with entirely natural and sustainable materials, this Silk and Snow Organic Mattress will last for years while providing comfortable sleep experiences that won’t degrade over time.
The cover of this mattress is made from organic cotton on top of New Zealand wool. Both breathable and soft, this quilted top is similar to a pillowtop but stays naturally cool without added chemicals. This mattress is perfect for those who sleep minimally warm, but those who sleep extra hot may need a cooler mattress.
Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, the top layer of the Silk and Snow Organic Mattress is made from organically created latex, which stays cool and breathable. For those who co-sleep, this latex layer helps prevent motion transfer and won’t break down as fast as other memory foam.
The base of the Silk and Snow Organic mattress is made from zoned coils, ensuring each sleeper is comfortable and supported throughout the night. The middle section of the coils is firmer for those needing back support, while the outer thirds of the coils are softer where pressure points need more cushioning. Canadians who sleep on the edge will appreciate the reinforced edge support along the perimeter of the mattress, ensuring that sagging and sinking don’t occur over time.
Eco-conscious Canadians will find the Silk and Snow Organic Mattress to be a great choice for their next cooling mattress. Each part of this mattress uses natural and toxic-free materials, helping the health of both the sleeper and the planet.
- Organic Cotton. Made of GOTS Certified organic cotton, the material that wraps the mattress is naturally cool and breathable, ensuring a great night’s sleep.
- Wool Quilt Cover. Using New Zealand wool that acts as a natural fire retardant, this cushy and quilted cover is airy and comfortable, keeping those who sleep moderately warm stay cool throughout the night.
- Natural Latex Layer. Providing extra support and motion isolation for those who co-sleep, this latex layer is more durable than traditional memory foam.
- Zoned Coil Support. With a blend of soft and firm coils, the Silk and Snow Organic Mattress base is supportive and excellent for those seeking pressure relief for achy joints and pressure points.
Our Expert’s Take
“Our environmentally friendly testers appreciated the organic materials in this mattress and said they woke up cool and comfortable, even with the plush and thick mattress top.”
Best Hybrid Mattress
Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
The Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress features a plush pillow top, excellent support and a durable coil foundation, making this mattress ultra comfortable and a cool night’s sleep for even the hottest sleeper. This luxury mattress is our pick for the best hybrid cooling mattress in Canada and would be a great choice for anyone seeking a supportive mattress with temperature control features.
The top layer of the Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress is a soft pillow top made of three different materials designed for comfort and temperature regulation. The first layer is made of a special phase change material, which wicks away rising heat. Under that, the memory foam layer made of visco gel microbubbles works hard at wicking away sweat and moisture while further reducing heat. The bottom graphite layer absorbs and disperses any remaining heat buildup, keeping sleepers comfortable and sweat-free throughout the night. These three layers make up the pillowtop of the Hush Mattress and are wrapped in a breathable, antibacterial cover.
The central core of the mattress is made of responsive high-density memory foam, which doesn’t break down as quickly as some other memory foam mattresses on the market. This mattress offers superior motion isolation for those who co-sleep, ensuring even the most restless sleepers do not disrupt their partners.
The base of the Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress is made of high-quality tempered Canadian steel coils, all of which are individually wrapped for a quiet night’s sleep. This coil base is durable and designed to stand the test of time. The firmness of the foundation is great for those needing extra pressure relief due to achy joints or back pain, as well as edge sleepers. Canadians who sleep hot will find this mattress comfortable, cool and supportive year after year.
- Cooling Pillow Top. Crafted from three different foam layers, all designed to reduce temperature, this layer offers superior cooling.
- Steel Coil Base. Made of individually wrapped steel coils, the base of the Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress helps those who need pressure relief sleep pain-free. This foundation is more durable than a foam base and is great for those who sleep near the edge of the bed.
- Antibacterial Cover. The cover of this mattress is made from antibacterial material and is extra breathable. Those who like plus sleeping surfaces will enjoy the quilted and plush cover.
- Memory Foam Core. The middle layer of the mattress is made from high-density memory foam, which has excellent motion isolation for those who co-sleep.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was our tester’s favourite that they tried, and they woke up heat free and comfortable. Our testers enjoyed the supportive feel of the mattress while feeling like they slept on a cool cloud.”
Best for Pressure Relief
The Recore Mattress
It's Great For:
The Recore Mattress is a unique Canadian mattress designed for a restorative and cool sleeping experience. This mattress is medium firm and fantastic for all sleeping positions and is our top choice for the best cooling mattress for those needing pressure relief. Active people suffering from achy joints or muscles will find that this mattress provides excellent support and relief.
For those with allergies or who want to wash their mattress cover regularly, the Recore Mattress features a zip-off and washable antimicrobial cover infused with SilverCharged threads for those with allergies or who want to wash their mattress cover regularly. This cover does a great job of helping to reduce bacteria and move heat and moisture away from your body.
The top layer of the Recore Mattress is made of Graphite Latex Foam, designed to lower your core temperature throughout the night; continuously dispersing all trapped heat so sleepers do not wake up hot and sweaty.
Directly below this layer of latex foam is a layer of cooling gel foam, further regulating temperatures while also providing relief and support to your deepest pressure points. For those who are athletes or exercise regularly, this layer helps alleviate pain in joints and the back.
The foundation of the Recore Mattress is a thick layer of high-density foam, helping with overall mattress durability and motion isolation for co-sleepers. Those who are particularly active will enjoy the support and pressure relief the Recore Mattress offers while keeping you cool throughout the night.
- Antimicrobial Cover. Infused with SilverCharged threads, this cover reduces bacteria, is machine washable and helps wick heat and moisture throughout the night.
- Graphite Latex Foam. Heat-regulating latex foam helps channel heat away from sleepers while cradling and supporting all sleeping positions.
- Cooling Gel Layer. For those who sleep extra hot, this layer of cooling gel foam further reduces body temperatures while providing pressure relief for those suffering from joint or back pain.
- Supportive Base. Made of high-density foam, this thick and durable base of the Recore Mattress prevents motion transfer between co-sleepers and comforts those who need additional support while recovering from activity.
Our Expert’s Take
“We found that our testers woke up sweat-free, even those who sleep extremely hot. Our most athletic testers woke up comfortable and rested and found their deepest pressure points to be free of pain.”
Best Motion Isolation
Endy Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
Made in Canada, the Endy Hybrid is a great cooling mattress that provides superior pressure relief and motion isolation. This mattress is ideal for co-sleepers that sleep warm and back and side sleepers and is our top pick for the best cooling mattress for those needing motion isolation.
The top cover is quilted and plush, which mimics a pillowtop mattress while providing extreme support. Those who sleep minimally to moderately warm will find that most heat is dispersed without being trapped in this layer.
The real cooling measures come from the top Comfort Foam layer of the Endy Hybrid. This foam is constructed with an open-cell design, which allows air to circulate freely and release the heat closest to your body. This layer is great for those who sleep warm, but those who sleep hot may want to find a colder mattress.
Canadians who co-sleep will appreciate the layer of Endy Transition Foam, which helps those with achy pressure points find comfort and feel supported. This layer, paired with the Zoned Coil Support, prevents motion transfer between partners. The Endy Hybrid is incredibly durable and sits atop a layer of high-density foam, ensuring a longer lifespan than most other mattresses on the market. The Endy Hybrid is a great pick for those seeking a mattress to help with pressure relief and motion isolation.
- Quilted Cover. This soft and plush cover feels like a pillowtop yet provides excellent pressure relief and comfort.
- Endy Comfort Foam. The top layer of the Endy Hybrid helps sleepers keep cool throughout the night and sleep moderately warm.
- Endy Transition Layer. For those seeking pressure relief and motion isolation, this layer helps co-sleepers, and those who often wake up in pain have a comfortable and peaceful night’s sleep.
- Zoned Coil Support. Setting the Endy Hybrid Mattress apart from most of the mattresses in our review today are the metal coils that are both quiet and durable. For those needing help with alignment and lumbar support, this layer will ensure you wake up pain-free.
Our Expert’s Take
“Our testers found that the Endy Hybrid allowed them to sleep undisturbed, even those with restless partners. Despite having a plush top, the Endy Hybrid had our testers who naturally sleep warm, waking up cool.”
Best Pillow Top Mattress
Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
Some pillow top mattresses sleep warm, especially due to the plush nature of their top layer. Heat can easily build up in these layers, leaving you uncomfortably warm. This isn’t the case with the Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress, however. This mattress features multiple breathable layers, cooling foams, and more to reduce heat even as you relax on the plush sleeping surface.
This medium-firm mattress is luxurious in every way. From the materials used to the details on the cover, this mattress feels like a much more expensive model. The cover is made with CryoFushion nanofibres to help cool the mattress, which can wick away heat and moisture before it can seep down into the foam layers. Under the cover is the pillow top section, a layer of breathable hollow fibre and quilted gel-infused foam, both of which work to reduce temperatures throughout the night.
The next layer offers more cooling properties, as the gel cooling foam relieves pressure and moves heat away from you throughout the night. This layer is made with ecoLuxe Cooling foam, which is a unique proprietary blend that offers all the benefits of memory foam without the stuck-in feeling. This layer also helps cushion your body, lifting it out of the mattress and away from the first coil layer.
The first coil layer in the middle of the mattress features adaptive Aeroduct Micro Coils. These coils are designed to compress easily, conforming to your body to provide customized support and cushion. These coils also reduce temperatures, so you don’t have to worry about deep thermal regulation. Below is a layer of Elastex foam, a hypoallergenic latex alternative that keeps the mattress responsive and comfortable.
Finally, the pocket coil layer features zoned coils to provide needed support. The coils under your hips are harder to compress, while the coils around your shoulders are soft and comfortable. The coils around the edges of the mattress are firmer too – if you sit or sleep near the edge of the bed, you won’t slip or slide around. Canadians who sleep on their sides or stomachs will appreciate the feel of this mattress, as well as any users who prefer a cool, plush surface.
- Quilted Euro-Top Cover. Logan & Cove Frontier’s pillow top section is made with quilted gel-infused foam and breathable hollow fibre, so you can stay comfortable and cool throughout the night.
- Strong Edge Support. The edge support zone provides firmer coils around the edges of the mattress, so you can sit or sleep near the edge of the bed without sliding.
- Two Layers of Coils. A layer of Aeroduct micro-coils provides comfortable, contouring support under the top layer of foam. A base layer of zoned pocket coils provides stronger support from below.
- Up to 2,920 Coils Total. Between the Aeroduct micro-coil layer and the pocket coil layer, this mattress has over 2,920 coils to keep you well-supported.
Our Expert’s Take
“Our testers loved how cool this mattress was. Between the breathable pillow top, CryoFusion cover, and gel foam, they reported waking up comfortable and without night sweats despite the pillow top.”
Best Firmness Options
The Novosbed Mattress
It's Great For:
The Novosbed Mattress is one of the more unique in our review today and is our pick for the best cooling mattress with firmness options. While most memory foam mattresses come with just one firmness option, this mattress has three offerings, allowing sleepers to choose the softness they prefer.
Helping sleepers stay cool is something many mattresses have a hard time doing. Still, the Novosbed mattress excels by combining a stay-cool Tencel cover and a breathable open-cell memory foam top layer. The soft and breathable cover is easily removed and washed while being eco-conscious and airy.
The top layer of the Novosbed is made with modern memory foam that allows for air to circulate throughout the night, helping to disperse any trapped heat and regulate body temperatures. This layer is customized to your desired firmness level of either soft, medium or firm, perfect for all sleeping positions.
Those needing additional pressure relief will find the second layer of foam to be exceptionally supportive for those with achy joints or back pain. This transitional foam layer also helps prevent motion transfer between restless partners, which means a peaceful night’s sleep for co-sleepers.
The foundation of the Novosbed Mattress is created from premium support foam, which cradles and supports sleepers without the worry of mattress breakdown over time. This mattress is a great pick for Canadians looking for a cooling mattress where you can pick whatever firmness level is the most comfortable for them.
- Customized Firmness Level. This unique option allows purchasers to choose either a Soft, Medium or Firm top layer for their Novosbed mattress, ensuring a comfortable night’s sleep no matter what firmness level you choose. You can further customize your firmness level using the Comfort+ mattress topper system.
- Washable Cover. Made of Tencel, this cover can be removed for easy washing and stays cool to the touch all night long.
- Comfort Zone. Regardless of the firmness level chosen, this layer provides additional cooling with advanced air circulation and open-cell technology.
- Transition Zone. For those who co-sleep and have restless partners, this layer does a great job of handling motion isolation, as well as providing excellent pressure relief for those who suffer from pain or pressure points.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress is great for those seeking a cooling mattress at all firmness levels. No matter which firmness option was selected, our testers found they woke up sweat-free and comfortable.”
Best for Budget-Conscious Canadians
The Silk & Snow Mattress
It's Great For:
For Canadians looking to spend less than the other mattresses in our review today, consider the Silk and Snow Mattress, our pick for the best cooling mattress for budget-conscious Canadians in 2023. This all-foam mattress combines a breathable, washable cover with a layer of gel memory foam, ensuring a comfortable and cool night’s sleep without breaking the bank.
The top cover of the Silk and Snow Mattress features an antimicrobial cover that prevents bacteria from growing, which is perfect for those wanting to keep their mattress clean. Those with allergies will appreciate the washable top cover that zips off for easy cleaning, which can be tossed right into the washing machine with your other bedding.
The Silk and Snow top layer is made from dense gel memory foam that regulates and reduces body temperatures better than traditional memory foam. In addition to keeping you cool, this layer helps relieve pressure points for those needing moderate support.
The next layer of the Silk and Snow Mattress is made from durable performance foam, which is supportive and cushioning for all sleeping positions. Those who need extra firm support, though, may want to consider a different mattress, as this is a softer model. Canadians who co-sleep will find that this mattress has great motion isolation due to this foam layer.
The base of the Silk and Snow Mattress is designed to be durable for many years and is created from high-density foam. This mattress is great for those who sleep moderately warm and are looking for a softer medium mattress on a budget.
- Removable Cover. This antimicrobial cover can be machine washed and easily removed. For those with allergies or who are just concerned about odour and bacteria, the cover can be cleaned as often as desired.
- Gel Memory Foam Layer. Both cooling and cushioning, this supportive layer of gel memory foam is airy and breathable, helping you stay cool during the night.
- Performance Foam. For those who co-sleep, the motion isolation feature of this layer does a great job of helping partners stay undisturbed due to restless activity or tossing and turning.
- Durable Base Layer. Helping the mattress keep its shape over time, this high-density foam layer is durable while providing support for those needing moderate pressure relief.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was great for our testers looking for a lower-cost option with effective cooling properties. Our testers did not experience any overheating and woke up comfortable and cool in the morning.”
Why Trust Us?
Each of the recommendations on our list came from weeks of deliberation. We evaluated each mattress separately and considered feedback from our dedicated team. Together, these results created the recommendations that made it onto our list. There are mattresses on our list to fit most body types, sleeping styles, and temperature control needs. To evaluate them, we used the following performance areas.
- Temperature Control. Of course, the most important thing about a cooling mattress is its temperature control features. We evaluated each mattress based on how its temperature control features worked, what was included, and how well they did their jobs.
- Materials. What materials are used in the mattress? Since materials have a great deal to do with temperature control, we need to look at each layer of each mattress and decide which works best for certain aspects of comfort. We looked at the complete list of materials to make our recommendation decisions.
- Support. How supportive is this mattress? Support can be a personal experience, but it’s important to make sure that each mattress is supportive enough for most sleepers. We looked for support features to make our choices.
- Motion Isolation. Those who sleep with a partner know that motion isolation is one of the most important factors in a mattress. We looked at how well each mattress isolated motion by using both tester feedback and lab-run tests.
How to Choose a Cooling Mattress for Canadians in 2023
Why should you choose a cooling mattress? Let’s look at some of the features you should keep in mind as you shop.
Why is Cooling Important?
Many Canadians generate heat as they sleep. Certain types of mattresses (particularly foam mattresses) can retain this heat. When your mattress gets hot, you may wake up feeling sweaty, uncomfortable, and unable to get back to sleep.
Cooling features are important to mitigate the heat retention that most memory foam mattresses naturally create. It’s especially important for those that sleep hot, as waking up often during the night can lead to a huge decline in sleep quality and time spent deeply asleep.
If you often wake up overheated, your mattress might be to blame. To help stay cool, you should choose a mattress with a host of cool features. These features are designed to stop heat retention and cool you off all night long.
How Cooling Features Work
Cooling features work by trapping heat, moving it away from you, dissipating it, or increasing airflow and breathability to drive it away. Most features perform at least one of these actions. Of course, some work better than others. Features that actively reduce heat work better than passive ones, but most work well to keep you comfortable.
Here are some of the most common cooling features you should look for as you shop:
- Gel memory foams use gel infusion (and sometimes gel beads) to trap heat and keep it from building up inside the foam. Some gel memory foam works a little differently, but this is one of the most reliable cooling features you should look for.
- Perforated foams contain hundreds of small perforations to increase airflow. These perforations act like superhighways, transferring heat away from you and pushing cooler air from the centre of the mattress up to where you’re sleeping.
- Phase-changing materials don’t get warmer than a certain temperature. Once they reach this temperature, they transfer excess heat away, usually down through other cooling materials. Usually used in covers, phase-changing materials work to keep your immediate sleeping surface cool.
- Proprietary and experimental foams can work in several different ways. These foams are usually unique to a single mattress or mattress company, and many of them aim to find the best combination to keep you cool. These materials are worth a look at, especially if you want to try something different.
Temperature control features may be the most important consideration when purchasing a mattress for cooling, but the following options are important, too. Understanding these options is the first step to choosing the perfect mattress for you.
Type of Mattress
There are a few different kinds of mattresses, and each has special benefits and drawbacks.
- All foam mattresses may contain layers of memory foam and latex to contour your body. Foam mattresses provide great pressure relief, but some types of foam can allow heat to build up under you as you sleep. Further, memory foam is a contouring foam that helps support you based on your body heat. Latex also contours to your body, but it’s more responsive than memory foam.
- Hybrid mattresses use a combination of foams and coils to create a comfortable sleep surface that still provides excellent support. Foam is layered on top of pocketed coils. These coils compress individually to give completely custom comfort. These mattresses isolate motion better than traditional innerspring mattresses, and can sometimes be cooler than all-foam options.
- Innerspring mattresses offer support with a layer of interconnected springs. These springs compress all at once. While these mattresses provide a ton of support, they also transfer motion more easily. They also don’t last as long as the other types of mattresses. Most mattresses that you can purchase online will not be innerspring mattresses.
The firmness of a mattress can tell you a lot about how it will feel. There are a few different firmnesses to look for, but most depend on your personal preference (including your body type and sleeping position).
Here are each of the firmness options you might encounter, starting with the softest:
- Soft (1)
- Medium (5)
- Firm (10)
Each of the mattresses on our list is rated based on how soft or firm they feel. These numbers can help you determine if a mattress is right for you.
Let’s look at how the way you sleep and your body type can influence the firmness you prefer.
Firmness, Body Type, and Sleeping Position
Firmness preference is tied to your body type and sleeping position. While these are general recommendations, understanding how your body type and sleeping position affect firmness can help you choose a better option for you.
Keep the following in mind:
- Stomach sleepers and those weighing up to 59kg may enjoy softer mattresses.
- Side sleepers and those weighing between 59kg and 104kg may prefer medium mattresses.
- Back sleepers, combination sleepers, and those weighing more than 104kg may prefer firmer mattresses.
What is the mattress made of? The types of foam used in each mattress’s construction can make a huge difference. The quality of the materials is important, but the types of foam can be, too. Before you decide to purchase a mattress, make sure to look investigate each layer of foam. Learn what each material does and how it can help you sleep better. By doing this, you can eliminate the materials that might not feel right for you.
Besides the foam layers, you should consider the cover, coils (if present), and other materials. The way these materials work together can make a difference when it comes to the feel of your mattress, as well as any cooling features.
There are a few performance areas you should look into before you purchase a mattress. Give these areas special consideration before you make your final decision.
Motion isolation, as mentioned above, helps you stay asleep no matter how much your partner moves. While most traditional innerspring mattresses transfer motion easily along the springs, foam mattresses are better at keeping motion from moving to the other side of the mattress. However, some mattresses are still better at it than others.
If you often wake up because your partner is moving, it’s best to look at a mattress’s motion isolation features before making a purchase. Some mattresses offer new motion-isolating technologies to prevent the transfer from one side of the bed to the other. Look for open-cell foams, high-density base layers, and motion isolation features as you shop.
Support is a personal preference. However, most mattress companies will outline where their mattresses offer the most support. If you need extra lumbar support, consider choosing a mattress with zoned support foam or zoned coils. These mattresses offer better support across the middle of the mattress, where you’ll likely need it most. At the same time, many put softer foam across the shoulder area, ensuring that your pressure points are relieved at the same time.
Edge support is also an important part of your mattress. If you sit on the edge of the bed in the morning, you may notice that the edge slips out from under you or sags too much. If that’s the case, you need a mattress with better edge support. Edge support features, including perimeter foams, help bolster the edges so you stay comfortable no matter where you sleep.
Pressure relief is another important factor to consider, especially if you often wake up with pressure points. Staying in one position for many hours can create these uncomfortable sore spots, which can interrupt your sleep.
Softer foams offer more pressure relief, but most memory foams form in your body to prevent this particular problem. If pressure relief is a major concern, consider choosing an all-foam option to help keep them from making you uncomfortable.
Other Cooling Options
Even if you use one of the cooling mattresses above, you might need to use other cooling options to make sure you sleep comfortably. You should look into cooling sheets or cooling pillows to help you sleep without extra heat.
Each breathable option you choose to use in your sleeping space can help reduce heat throughout the night. If you sleep extremely hot, using as many of these options as possible is the best way to reduce temperature and get better sleep overall.
Frequently Asked Questions
All of the mattresses on our list today are either all-foam hybrid mattresses. All-foam mattresses are made entirely of layers of different types of foam, whether it is gel foam, high-density foam or traditional memory foam. Hybrid mattresses have a coil spring base and are topped with foam layers.
For mattresses that come delivered in a box, the setup is quite easy. Simple unpack and take the compressed plastic packaging off the mattress to fully let it expand, which can take up to 24 hours. Some mattresses come delivered ready to place on a frame, but the majority of the mattresses on our list today are bed-in-a-box styles.
Yes! All the mattresses featured in our review today are manufactured and shipped out of Canada. No matter what mattress you choose from our list, you can take pride in that they are all Canadian-made.