Heavier sleepers have very specific needs when it comes to a mattress, including a different level of support and pressure relief. While most mattresses will be fine for heavier sleepers, there are a few options that are better suited to relieving pressure and aches. These mattresses offer specific support that can benefit heavier sleepers.
We tested each of the mattresses on our list with a wide range of performance tests. Then, we sent the mattresses to our at-home testers for a longer period of intensive testing. We combined these test results with our own test-lab information to choose the best mattresses fo heavy sleepers in Canada for 2023.
The Best Mattresses for Heavy Canadians for September 2023
- Best Overall – Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress
- Best Cooling Mattress – Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
- Best for Couples – The Endy Hybrid Mattress
- Best Organic Mattress – Silk & Snow Organic Mattress
- Best Pressure Relief – The Douglas Mattress
- Best All-Foam Mattress – Octave Horizon Mattress
- Best Budget Friendly – The Silk & Snow Mattress
- Best Pillow Top Mattress – The Noa Mattress
Why Did We Choose These Mattresses for Heavy Sleepers in Canada?
During our evaluation process, we noted where each of these mattresses stood out. These outstanding areas became the reason we chose each of these mattresses to recommend to you. Here is why we chose each of the best mattresses for heavy people in Canada for 2023.
The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress is the best option overall. With a comfortable Euro-top, strong support from zoned coils, and cooling measures that can eliminate night sweats, you’ll wonder why you didn’t try this mattress sooner.
If you usually wake up with night sweats, the Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress can be the perfect option for you. This mattress features multiple layers of cooling materials, including cutting-edge cooling technology. The layers work together to prevent overheating.
On the other hand, the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is the best hybrid mattress for heavy sleepers. Strong coil support and high-density foam layers mean you won’t have body indents. Plus, you’ll be balanced across the mattress effortlessly.
Couples with restless partners will enjoy the Endy Hybrid Mattress. Open-cell motion isolation foam stops motion in its tracks, so you can stay asleep even when your partner is having a restless night.
The Silk & Snow Organic Mattress is the best organic mattress on our list. With certified organic materials and a firmer feel, you can sleep easier with better support and a clear conscience.
If it’s pressure relief that you need, consider the Douglas Mattress. This all-foam option uses materials that go above and beyond other all-foam mattresses on the market, so you’re sure to enjoy how it feels.
Unlike many all-foam mattresses on the market that only have a few layers of foam, the Octave Horizon Mattress features five total layers, ensuring long-term durability and less breakdown over time. These foam layers provide excellent cooling, support and comfort.
Buying a high-quality mattress doesn’t need to drain your savings. Canadians seeking a softer sleeping surface that is still comfortable and contouring but with a lower price point may prefer the Silk & Snow Mattress. This mattress features multiple layers of high-density foams, which help the mattress regain its shape for years to come.
Finally, the Noa Mattress is the best pillow-top option in Canada. This is a firmer mattress with a comfortable top section. The combination helps you stay comfortable while you are well-supported by a layer of thick-gauge steel pocket coils.
Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress
It's Great For:
The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress is a cool, luxurious mattress that works to properly support all sleeping positions. While most hybrid mattresses have a single coil support layer, the luxurious Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress features two separate coil layers that work together to provide contoured support.
This mattress begins with a plush, comfortable Euro-Top. This section pillows your body with a layer of breathable fill and quilted gel-infused foam. It also reduces temperature overall, which is great for those who sleep hot. The cover is woven with CryoFusion cooling nanofibres, which help wick away heat and keep the cover cool to the touch. The quilted gel foam neutralizes any remaining heat, so you won’t wake up hot and uncomfortable. This topper provides excellent plush relief and a comfortable introduction to the mattress.
The first layer of foam also helps keep you cool. The ecoLuxe cooling gel foam provides excellent pressure relief for your joints, which is ideal if you wake up with uncomfortable pressure points. This layer is made with 40% less carbon than standard memory foam, so you can rest easier knowing it’s better for the environment. The gel-infused foam also reduces any heat that is left after the Euro-top wicks it away. Under this layer is the first coil layer. Made with 1” Aeroduct MicroCoils, this layer aims to provide better airflow. It also contours to your body for customized support exactly where you need it.
Sandwiched between the coil layers is a transition foam. This Elastex foam mimics all the properties of natural latex without the chemicals used to produce it. The synthetic alternative is extremely cool and responsive, providing extra cushion and ease of movement to the mattress. Finally, the support core features a zoned pocket coil layer. Firmer coils through the centre of the mattress provide relief for your back and hips. A perimeter of strong support coils keeps the edges from sinking when you sit there, while softer coils under your shoulders and knees reduce pressure and keep your joints comfortable.
- Two Layers of Coils. A layer of micro-coils and a layer of zoned steel pocket coils work together to provide focused support exactly where you need it. Between these layers, there are up to 2,920 coils in this mattress (depending on size).
- Eco-Conscious Foam. The first layer of foam within this mattress is ecoLuxe, a memory foam that uses up to 40% less carbon input than standard memory foam. It’s better for the environment and can help keep you cool.
- Zoned Support. The coil layer features five support zones, including a firmer center and outside edge for support in the areas where most mattresses are lacking.
- Motion Isolation. The layers of foam used in the Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress, as well as the pocketed coil layers, help reduce motion transfer from one size of the bed to the other. You’ll sleep soundly even when your partner tosses and turns.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress offers outstanding support, pressure relief, and plush comfort. Heavier sleepers will love the way this mattress feels.”
Best Cooling Mattress
Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress
It's Great For:
Most Canadians wake up too hot at some point in their lives. If you often wake up sweaty and uncomfortable, you might need a mattress with better cooling features. The Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress features multiple layers of cooling foams and materials to reduce heat, so even the hottest sleepers can cool off and stay comfortable throughout the night.
The Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress features a plush, cooling pillow-top section that combines several layers of cooling materials. This separate section features a layer of phase-changing material, which maintains a select temperature. Once the temperature on the surface of your mattress reaches this temperature, all heat is filtered down through the other cooling layers. The middle layer is a gel memory foam that uses visco gel microbubbles, which trap and wick away body heat. It reduces moisture, too. The final layer of graphite-infused foam helps absorb and remove heat from the mattress entirely.
If there is any excess heat left after these cooling processes, it vents through the pillow-top separator. This tray structure helps separate the pillow top from the core of the mattress, lending it structure and support. The core of the mattress begins with a layer of cushioning transition foam, which reduces pressure and helps eliminate strain before the coil layer.
The coil layer features 8” zoned pocket coils, which are extremely dense and supportive. These coils balance and align your body, starting with the firm coils under your lower back. These coils support your spine and keep it aligned to reduce aches. Softer coils at your shoulders eliminate pressure points. If you sit or sleep near the edge of the bed, you’ll love the firmer edges of the mattress. The firmer support foam surrounds the coil layer to bolster the edges, so you’ll get the same support throughout.
- Cooling Layers. The layers in the top section of this mattress use phase-changing materials, graphite infusion, and gel infusion to reduce even the most extreme temperatures.
- Comfortable Pillow Top. The pillow-top section of this mattress is plush and cool, with layers of materials that help reduce heat and provide better pressure relief than standard memory foam mattresses.
- Supportive Coils. The supportive core of this mattress features strong zoned pocket coils, which are firmer right where you need them most.
- Responsive Feels. While some foam mattresses make you feel as though you are ‘stuck’ in the mattress, the Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress is responsive and bouncy. This means you’ll be able to move around easily.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress provides some of the best cooling features on the Canadian market. It’s nearly impossible to overheat while you sleep on this mattress, even if you usually wake up too hot.”
Best Hybrid Mattress
Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress combines the pressure relief from the original Silk & Snow Mattress with a layer of extremely supportive coils. This coil layer supports your lower back and hips while reducing strain on the rest of your joints. It also provides better edge support for those who sit or sleep near the edges of the bed.
This mattress begins with Silk & Snow’s signature antimicrobial cover. This cover is made with antimicrobial fibres which prevent the growth of bacteria. As a result, those with seasonal allergies experience fewer allergy triggers. Your bed will stay fresh and clean for longer, even though the cover is not removable. The cover is quilted to a layer of high-quality cooling foam, which means you’ll sleep better without any heat build-up as you sleep. If you usually wake up just a little too warm, this is a great choice for you.
The middle layer of foam is a layer of high-density memory foam, which helps with all of your deepest pressure points. This layer cradles and cushions your body, reducing any strain on your joints. It also helps neutralize any remaining heat so you sleep more comfortably. This layer isolates motion and lifts you out of the mattress, so you’ll get the strong support from the coil layer without feeling any strain from them.
The coil layer, of course, features zoned lumbar support in the form of firmer coils in the middle of the mattress. The top and bottom of the mattress use softer coils to help with pressure relief, so you won’t develop pressure points as you sleep. The firm perimeter is great for sitting on the edge of the bed in the morning. It won’t collapse like some all foam mattresses might. You will get the same level of support from one side of the mattress to the other.
- Strong Edge Support. The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress features a strong perimeter of edge support foam. If you sleep near the edge of the mattress, this layer can help prevent sinking or sagging here.
- Zoned Pocket Coils. The pocket coil layer features zoned lumbar support, meaning the coils directly under your lower back are firmer. This is ideal for those who need additional support.
- Cooling Surface. A cooling cover and a top layer of cooling latex foam help reduce heat, providing better airflow for those who sleep warm.
- Antimicrobial Cover. The cover of the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is made with an antimicrobial textile, which prevents the growth of bacteria and helps reduce allergy triggers for those with seasonal allergies.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Silk & Snow Mattress features a supportive coil layer, perimeter support foam, and a ton of features that make it great for those who are a little heavier.”
Best for Couples
The Endy Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
If you share a bed with someone who is often restless, the Endy Hybrid Mattress might be a great choice for you. This mattress features superior motion isolation, which reduces transfer from one side of the bed to the other. When your partner tosses and turns, you won’t feel any vibration or movement on the other side of the bed, so you can sleep peacefully. This is true even if you usually wake up easily, so this mattress can help you appreciate some uninterrupted sleep.
The cover is extremely plush and lined with foam. The foam is quilted directly to the cover, which helps reduce heat and improve the feel of the mattress. When you first lay down, the mattress will feel comfortable and plush. The first layer of foam is Endy’s proprietary Comfort Foam. This blend is extremely responsive. It has a medium-firm feel and open-cell construction, which improves breathability and reduces heat throughout the night.
Below is a layer of transition foam, which helps with motion isolation. If you often wake up when your partner tosses and turns, this layer can help improve your sleep. It absorbs motion so it doesn’t make it to your side of the bed, even when your partner is restless. This layer also cushions even your deepest pressure points, so you wake up refreshed no matter how you sleep.
The coil layer below is zoned, with firmer pocket coils in the middle of the mattress and around the edges. Your hips and lower back are supported well with these firmer coils, while softer coils throughout the rest of the mattress further prevent pressure points. If you sit or sleep near the edge of the bed, you will enjoy the extra edge-to-edge support that this layer offers. Finally, an extra layer of supportive foam helps the mattress retain its shape and durability for years. You won’t have to worry about sagging or discomfort with all of the extra support.
- Durable Support Base. The base of the Endy Hybrid Mattress uses the firm support coils of the pocket spring base but also uses an additional layer of durable support foam to provide shape to the mattress for years to come.
- Firm Support Coils. The hybrid coil layer features firm support, especially in the lumbar region and along the edges of the mattress.
- Motion Isolation Foam. The open-cell Endy Comfort Foam helps reduce motion transfer from the other side of the bed. When your partner is tossing and turning, you can continue to sleep peacefully.
- Open Cell Construction. The open-cell construction of the foam in this mattress provides better motion isolation and breathability. It creates a cooler sleep surface and better responsiveness than standard memory foam.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Endy Hybrid Mattress is one of the best options for heavier couples. The supportive coils and durability of the mattress help with longevity, while the motion isolation features ensure uninterrupted sleep.”
Video Demonstration of The Endy Hybrid Mattress
Best Organic Mattress
Silk & Snow Organic Mattress
It's Great For:
The Silk & Snow Organic Mattress is one of the firmest options on our list. It’s a medium-firm mattress, but it offers even firmer support than you might expect. The organic materials create a unique feel for your sleeping space, with natural wool and latex layers to help create a cooling, comfortable environment. This mattress is completely natural and made with certified organic materials, so you can rest easy knowing that it’s better for the environment.
The cover is a soft, breathable material made with GOTS-certified organic cotton. This layer is smooth and cool to the touch, creating more breathability throughout the top layers of the mattress. This can help reduce heat for those who sleep warm. The first layer of the mattress is natural New Zealand wool. Sourced directly from New Zealand, this natural layer wicks away moisture and heat. It also acts as a natural fire barrier, meaning that the rest of the mattress doesn’t have to use chemicals to achieve the same level of safety.
The middle of the mattress features 2.5” of organic latex. This GOLS-certified layer is made using Dunlop latex, which is made without synthetic materials. It’s cool and responsive, making it easier to move around. This layer also reduces pressure points, especially those deeper points that sink through the other layers of the mattress.
If you need extra firm support from your mattress, this pocket coil base is the way to go. It features zoned support, with firmer coils across the centre of the mattress and softer coils at your shoulder and knees to cushion your joints. A perimeter of edge support foam prevents the mattress from flattening at the edges, and the entire coil layer helps limit motion and provide excellent balance throughout the mattress.
- Certified Organic Materials. This mattress uses GOTS-certified cotton and GOLS-certified latex, both of which make it comfortable for those who prefer conscious materials.
- Natural Wool Fire Barrier. A layer of natural New Zealand wool provides natural fire resistance, which cuts down on the chemicals used throughout the rest of the mattress.
- Zoned Pocket Coils. The dense pocket coils in the core of the mattress are zoned for your comfort and optimized support.
- Firm Feel. The Silk & Snow Organic Mattress is one of the firmest options on our list. This mattress is on the firmer side of medium-firm, allowing heavier sleepers to relax comfortably on its surface.
Our Expert’s Take
“This firm mattress is built for those who prefer to know where the mattress is coming from, particularly when it comes to clean, natural materials.”
Video Demonstration of the Silk & Snow Organic Mattress
Best Pressure Relief
It's Great For:
The Douglas Mattress is an exceptional all-foam mattress with a medium-firm feel. Heavier sleepers will love the ease of movement and cooling features that this mattress utilizes. The eco-conscious foam layers and natural latex alternative foam help make this feel like a premium mattress without the luxury price. When it comes to pressure relief, the Douglas Mattress is second to none, especially among heavier sleepers who need a firmer support base.
The removable, machine-washable cover is made with Infinitex fibres. These fibres are cool and comfortable, drawing heat and moisture away so you can sleep more comfortably all night long. When it’s time to refresh your bed, throw the Douglas cover into the washing machine with the rest of your sheets. It zips easily back onto the base so you won’t have to struggle with it.
The first layer of foam within the mattress is a 2” layer of luxury ecoLight foam. This gel foam is made with 40% less carbon than standard memory foam, but is just as luxurious as high-density memory foam. It’s cool and responsive, and more durable than other options. This means it won’t indent under your body. The transition layer in the middle of the mattress is made with premium Elastex foam, a synthetic alternative to natural latex and doesn’t use any of the chemicals normally found in latex production. As a result, those allergic to natural latex may not experience allergic reactions.
The base of the mattress is a durable 6” layer of motion isolation foam. This layer stops motion has it happens, but it also balances your body and aligns your spine. Staying perfectly aligned is critical for preventing aches, especially when it comes to heavier sleepers. Overall, this mattress is designed to solve many of the problems that users usually experience with all-foam mattresses, including sinking, heat retention, and more.
- CoolSense Cover. The cover of the Douglas Mattress uses cooling Infinitex fibres, which reduce temperatures throughout the mattress and keep you from overheating.
- Eco-Conscious Materials. The memory foam layer in this mattress uses 40% less carbon to make than standard memory foam, meaning the mattress as a whole is much better for the environment.
- Better Motion Isolation. The motion isolation support base used in the Douglas mattress helps eliminate motion as it happens, so you won’t feel anything from the other side of the bed when your partner is restless.
- Responsive Foam. Every layer of the Douglas Mattress provides a comfortable, responsive feel. You won’t feel as though you are stuck in this mattress, and moving around is easy.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Douglas Mattress is ideal for those who need better pressure relief, motion isolation, and a better experience with memory foam mattresses overall.”
Video Demonstration of the Douglas Mattress
Octave Horizon Mattress
It's Great For:
Unlike many other memory foam mattresses that only have a few layers, the Octave Horizon features five different unique layers, all designed for optimum support and comfort. Whether you sleep hot, need deep pressure relief, or are seeking motion isolation to get some respite from a restless co-sleeper, this all-foam mattress will provide you with a great night’s sleep.
Canadians who naturally sleep hot or live in a warmer climate will benefit from this Octave Horizon’s breathable cooling cover. Made from soft fabric that is woven with CryoFusion nanofibres, this cover does a great job of keeping body heat and moisture at bay. For easy washing, the cover can easily be zipped off the mattress and machine washed with the rest of your bedding.
The top layer of foam is made from cooling gel, which regulates and reduces temperature while promoting healthy air. A combination of copper threading and PolarMAX phase change material work to ensure a comfortable temperature no matter the season while aiding in pressure relief and soothing cooling for aching muscles.
In the middle of the mattress lies three different unique layers of foam, creating a durable and stable core. First, a layer of aerated latex foam gives the mattress a slight bounce without allowing sleepers to sink too deeply into the mattress. Next, a thick layer of ecoLuxe gel works to reduce heat while cushioning pressure points. Last, a layer of Elastex foam ensures ease of movement for those who often change positions throughout the night or get in and out of bed often.
The base of the Octave Horizon is made from ultra-thick, high-density foam constructed for long-term durability. Those who sleep hot will appreciate the built-in air channels, which funnel away heat. While many all-foam mattresses lack pressure relief, this mattress does a great job of aiding aching joints and lumbar issues with its five-zoned support system. This unique system gives firmer support around the legs, back and head while gently cradling hips and shoulders for ergonomic and restorative sleep.
Heavier Canadians looking for a supportive mattress will enjoy the Octave Horizon. This all-foam mattress is more durable and comfortable than many other options and has a moderate price point that will appeal to most users. The Octave Horizon is available in all standard mattress sizes and can accommodate weights of 250 lbs (twin sizes only) to 500 lbs (all other sizes). This mattress includes a 365-sleep trial, so you can have plenty of time to try it out for yourself.
- Cooling Cover. Breathable and soft, this cover also does an excellent job of cooling sleepers and wicking away moisture. For ease of cleaning accidental spills or dirt, the top part of the cover is removable and machine washable.
- Latex Foam Layer. Made from a blend of natural and synthetic latex, this layer is airy and responsive, giving the mattress a slight bounce while still being supportive.
- PolarMAX Foam. A layer of PolarMAX foam combines copper threads and a unique PolarMAX Phase change material, this layer of foam helps keep sleepers cool night after night. it’s also naturally antimicrobial.
- High-Density Foam Base. This layer of thick foam on the bottom of the mattress is perfect for long-term durability. Designed to keep the mattress moisture-free, this layer helps with zoned pressure relief and motion isolation for co-sleepers who are often disturbed by restless partners.
Our Expert’s Take
“Heavier sleepers will love the support and multiple layers of this fantastic all-foam mattress. Our testers who slept hot found the cooling properties to be top of the line and enjoyed waking up comfortable and sweat-free.”
The Silk & Snow Mattress
It's Great For:
Canadians looking for a great mattress with a softer feel and high-quality materials at a budget-friendly price will love the Silk & Snow Original Mattress. When it comes to all-foam mattresses, the formula seems fairly consistent across most Canadian-made mattresses. Silk & Snow seeks to shake the formula up a bit by using high-density memory foams and better-quality materials than some less expensive options you’ll find online.
The first layer of difference you’ll find in this mattress is the cover itself, which is made with antimicrobial textiles. The cover is removable and machine washable, so you can keep it fresh for longer. However, the antimicrobial material won’t develop odours and will stay fresh a long time even before you wash it.
Inside the cover are three layers of foam. The first is a pressure-relieving gel memory foam. This high-density foam retains its shape better than standard memory foam. It springs back into shape easily, preventing body indents. You can also move around easier on this layer, so those who move around a lot during the night will stay comfortable.
The middle layer of foam is a transition layer that helps with alignment, balance, and motion isolation. If your partner often tosses and turns, this layer reduces motion so you can stay asleep. Below is the durable support core, which provides an excellent foundation for all sleeping positions. Heavier sleepers will appreciate the comfort and pressure relief from this mattress, especially when it comes to alignment and support.
- Antimicrobial Cover. The cover of the Silk & Snow Mattress is made with antimicrobial textiles, which prevents the growth of bacteria (and therefore eliminates seasonal allergy triggers).
- Motion Isolation Foam. A layer of motion isolation foam in the middle of the mattress stops transfer from the other side of the bed.
- Outstanding Pressure Relief. Every foam layer helps contribute to better pressure relief than some of the other all-foam mattresses on the Canadian market.
- High-Density Foam Layers. The high-density foam used in the Silk & Snow Mattress springs back quickly, regaining its shape and providing excellent pressure relief and support.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Silk & Snow Mattress is a perfect all-foam mattress for heavier sleepers who prefer a softer sleep surface. With a lower price point than most mattresses, this mattress is a great pick for budget-conscious Canadians.”
Best Pillow Top
It's Great For:
The Noa Mattress is one of the firmest options on our list, but it still boasts an outstanding pillow top section. The blend creates firm support with additional plush comfort, perfect for heavier sleepers who generally prefer a softer mattress. With the firmer support, the Noa Mattress offers better alignment and balance with its layers of latex, memory foam, and steel pocket coils.
The pillow top features a Tencel cover, which helps prevent the growth of bacteria and limit or reduce seasonal allergy triggers. The hand-tufted top is plush and comfortable, with a layer of foam inside the pillow-top to provide a plush feeling when you first lay down. The first layer of foam within the mattress is a cool, open-cell latex. This material is extremely responsive and breathable, helping you move around easier and beat the heat throughout the night.
A layer of cooling gel memory foam, which provides deeper pressure relief. It helps wick away the additional heat that makes it through the top layers, which is best for those who suffer with night sweats. This layer works to support you and keep you comfortable no matter how you sleep. Just before the coil support layer is a layer of adaptive transition foam. Here, you’ll find balance and alignment. It also helps reduce motion transfer, so your partner can toss and turn all night while you remain comfortable.
The coil layer features durable thick-gauge steel pocket springs. These springs are encased in mesh, which helps provide additional airflow and breathability throughout the mattress. These coils help support your body throughout the night. Finally, the coils are surrounded by a perimeter of edge support foam. This perimeter provides the same edge-to-edge support that you need, especially if you sit or sleep near the edges of the bed.
- High-Quality Materials. This mattress blends all available materials, including latex, memory foam, and coils to create a comfortable and supportive sleep environment.
- Dense Steel Pocket Coils. The support core features a layer of dense pocket coils, all of which work together to align your body and keep your spine neutral for the best sleep experience.
- Hand-Tufted Pillow Top. The pillow-top section is extremely plush and comfortable, with Tencel fibres and a softer feel for relaxation.
- Firm Feel. The Noa Mattress is one of the firmest mattresses on our list, making it ideal for those who need a little extra support and alignment.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Noa Mattress features a blend of comfortable, plush foam layers and extremely firm support from below. This is great for heavier sleepers who prefer a softer feel but still need alignment and balance.”
Why Trust Us?
We’ve spent decades in the sleep industry, looking at different sleep products, determining new trends, and trying all of the new and different things that we could. Over this time, we’ve developed a lot of expertise when it comes to sleep-related products. Mattresses are just one of our areas of expertise, and we tend to look at the whole picture when we evaluate a mattress.
Our test lab results and tester feedback is put together to determine if each mattress will make our list. We evaluate based on very specific criteria, including the following performance areas.
- Support. Support is the single most important issue when it comes to mattresses for heavier sleepers. We looked at mattresses that offered the best support from edge to edge, so even the heaviest sleepers can feel comfortable.
- Temperature Control. A lot of Canadians wake up sweaty and uncomfortable. Temperature control features can help, so we looked at how each mattress mitigated temperature. Then, we handed each mattress to our sleepers who sleep hottest – their results helped shape our list.
- Motion Isolation. Motion from the other side of the bed can ruin your sleep cycle, so we looked specifically for mattresses with strong motion isolation. Our tests helped us determine which mattresses did a better job of preventing motion transfer.
- Pressure Relief. Pressure relief is important for all sleepers, but heavier sleepers need a little more help. We looked at pressure maps to determine which mattress offered the best all-over pressure relief and balance, to ensure you sleep without pressure points.
What Makes a Mattress Good for Heavy Sleepers?
Heavier sleepers need mattresses with specific features to sleep comfortably. While heavier sleepers can appreciate most mattresses, a few special considerations can help heavier sleepers improve the way they sleep.
For the best support and sleeping experience, a mattress for heavy side sleepers should have:
- Medium, medium-firm, or firm firmness
- A strong support base, either in memory foam or with a layer of coils
- A higher weight limit than most standard mattresses
- Great pressure relief without return pressure
- A thicker height than other mattresses
- Superior weight balancing
- Great motion isolation
- Temperature control features to help reduce heat build-up
- A responsive surface
All of these features can help heavier sleepers feel a little better when they wake up. If you are a heavier sleeper, look for mattresses with as many of these features as possible.
Of course, you should choose the mattress that feels best for you. While heavier sleepers need better support to stay comfortable over time, you may find that your preferences deviate from this list. As long as you find a mattress that keeps you comfortable, there’s nothing to worry about.
Who is a heavy sleeper?
It’s important to note who we’re talking about when we mention heavy sleepers. In the mattress and sleep industry, heavy sleepers are defined as those weighing more than 230 lbs (104 kg). This distinction is determined based on mattress standards, weight distribution, materials, and weight limit. We’ll talk about these options as we talk about what you should go for when choosing a mattress for heavier sleepers.
How to Choose the Best Mattress for Heavy Sleepers in Canada
With the above options in mind, let’s take a look at what you should look for when shopping for a mattress best suited to heavy sleepers in Canada. The following basic features can help you determine which mattress is best for you, so consider them as you shop for your next mattress.
Type of Mattress
There are a few types of mattresses available online in Canada. They are mostly defined by the materials used to create them. Regardless of body type, most sleepers have a preference for a specific mattress type. If you know what type you prefer, make sure to choose your next mattress from within that mattress type.
- All-foam mattresses use layers of memory foam and latex to create a comforting, contouring sleeping surface.
- Memory foam reacts with your body heat, allowing the foam to form around the areas where you need it. This provides a supportive and super comfortable surface that you can relax into. However, memory foam tends to retain heat while you sleep, leading to more overheating overall. The sinking feeling can be uncomfortable for some, too.
- Latex, on the other hand, is cooler and allows for the same level of contouring, but with a more responsive surface overall. Latex foam is better for those who overheat or sleepers who need to move around a lot at night. If you want to avoid memory foam’s quicksand feeling, a latex foam mattress might be the perfect solution.
- Hybrid mattresses provide better support on average than foam mattresses. They represent the best of both worlds – the traditional innerspring mattresses of the past and the memory foam mattresses that are fully integrated into our sleeping spaces. Hybrid mattresses use layers of foam on top of a layer of supportive, pocketed coils that compress individually instead of all at once. This means better motion isolation, better breathability, and none of the discomfort associated with innerspring mattresses.
While many of these mattress types can be great for heavier sleepers, you should choose the option that provides the support and pressure relief that you need.
Firmness, Body Type, and Sleeping Position
The firmness that you prefer is determined by several factors. While it’s certainly a personal thing, your preferences are more than likely influenced by your body type and how you sleep.
Heavier sleepers need a firmer mattress in general, though some may prefer a softer mattress for pressure relief. Here is a chart that will help you determine which firmness you should choose based on standard factors. These guidelines can help get you started, but your preferences should ultimately decide which firmness you purchase.
|Firmness||Body Type||Sleeping Position|
|Soft||Up to 130lbs (59kg)||Stomach|
|Medium||130lbs to 230lbs (59kg to 104kg)||Side|
|Firm||Over 230lbs (104kg)||Back|
Any of these mattress’s firmness options can work well for heavier sleepers, though it is recommended that heavier sleepers use Medium, Medium Firm, and Firm mattresses for the best support and comfort throughout the night.
The amount of support offered by a mattress depends on several things. Firmness is just one of these factors. Other factors include composition, construction, and the support layers at the bottom of the mattress. Heavier sleepers need more support. They need stronger materials than other sleepers, and they need materials that will support them a bit more than standard foams might.
If you need a lot of extra support, consider mattresses of any type that include zoned support. When a mattress includes firmer support ‘zones’, you’ll usually have stronger support under your hips and lower back. Softer foams reduce pressure on your shoulders and other parts of your body while keeping you properly supported right where you need it.
There are plenty of ways that mattresses create better support, but make sure to look out for support zones if you need extra help.
The thickness, or height, of a mattress, is a great feature to pay attention to for heavier sleepers. A thicker mattress offers more room to balance and support your body. You can sink further into a thick mattress without feeling the coil layer, eliminating any pressure points or related difficulties.
Simply put, a thicker mattress offers the best support for heavy people in Canada. A mattress of at least 10” is ideal for smaller sleepers, but heavier sleepers should go with a mattress of at least 13” to get the most out of the construction and materials. With a thicker mattress, you may experience fewer pressure points and less discomfort as you sleep.
Keep in mind that the height of your mattress may determine which bed sheets you can purchase. Always choose bed sheets that are compatible with the height of your mattress, as it keeps your mattress protected.
Each mattress has a weight limit, depending on the materials and the construction of the mattress. Most mattresses have a high weight limit of around 500 pounds for one sleeper or 250 for each sleeper. So long as the combined weight of both sleepers is under 500 pounds, the mattress will last and provide great support.
Some mattresses have a higher weight limit, too. The weight limit of a mattress comes down to the various factors associated with the mattress, including its support base, foam layers, and size.
Though the weight limits may seem arbitrary, you should observe and respect each mattress’s weight limit. That’s because failing to observe this limit can void your warranties. At the very least, it could cause the mattress to perform poorly or not last as long. These limits exist for a reason, so it’s best practice to observe them.
Additional Mattress Features
Once you have the basics down, it’s time to look at the special performance features that each mattress offers. These options are definitely a little more personal. You should choose mattresses that offer features that can benefit you and work well for your needs. Most mattresses for heavy people in Canada will have one or two of the following features.
A lot of Canadians sleep hot, so if you often wake up overheated, you aren’t alone. Rising temperatures are only partly to blame. Foam mattresses tend to hold onto the heat, allowing it to build up around your body as you sleep. As a result, you end up warmer than you would otherwise.
To mitigate these issues, many mattress companies use temperature-control foams and fabrics to help reduce heat and move it away from you. If you often sleep hot, you might be interested in a mattress that has more than one of these temperature control features.
Look for mattresses that use cooling gel foam layers, phase-changing covers, breathable springs, or an open-cell design. Keep in mind that latex is naturally cooler than memory foam and that there are many other proprietary methods that mattress companies use to reduce temperature. Find a mattress that uses many of these materials to help you stay cool night after night.
Do you have a restless partner or co-sleep with a child? Do you often find yourself waking up in the middle of the night because they are tossing and turning? More traditional innerspring mattresses are notorious for transferring motion across the length of the mattress. This means that you feel everything going on the other side of the mattress, down to the smallest movement.
If you sleep light, these movements can disrupt your sleep and make you tired in the morning. To avoid this, look for a mattress that uses motion isolation features to keep each side of the bed still and comfortable. Foam mattresses are better at isolating motion than innerspring or hybrid options, but hybrid mattresses are still better when compared to innerspring.
Look for mattresses that use motion-isolation support foam, soft transition layers, or open-cell foams. These materials can help stop motion before it reaches you, ensuring that you sleep peacefully throughout the night.
Sitting or sleeping near the edge of a foam mattress can sometimes be an alarming experience. You might feel like you’ll slide right off, or the mattress will collapse under you instead of sinking. That’s because many foam mattresses don’t bother with firmer foam at the edge of the mattress, which can lead to a more uncomfortable experience if you’re close to the edge.
If you need that additional support (or want your mattress to feel the same no matter where you’re laying), a mattress with edge support is the way to go. These mattresses may use a perimeter of support foam or can include firmer, denser foams near the edges to add that little bit of support you need. Look for mattresses with enhanced edge support via these perimeters to help increase support at the edge of your bed.
Pressure relief is one of the most important aspects of a mattress, but your mileage may vary. Pressure relief isn’t for everyone, but those that require a bit more cushioning from pressure points (especially heavier sleepers) will enjoy a mattress with better pressure relief. Thankfully, foam mattresses relieve pressure well. The way that foam contours to your body allow for relief right where you need it.
Mattresses with a pillow-top section can help a lot, especially if you want immediate pressure relief when you crawl into bed. Look for soft, contouring foams, foam layers that help reduce your deepest pressure points, and even pillow-top offerings if you need a little extra relief.
Frequently Asked Questions
Heavy sleepers are defined by the mattress industry as users weighing more than 104kg. Though this is far from a universal classification, this is the standard used by the mattress industry.
Heavier sleepers often benefit from hybrid or innerspring mattresses in Canada with sturdy coils that provide robust support. Memory foam mattresses with higher density levels can also be suitable as they offer contouring without excessive sinkage.
Firmer mattresses are best for heavy sleepers in Canada. Your preferences play a large role in the mattress that will be best for you, but you should look for medium-firm or firm mattresses for heavier sleepers.
Regular maintenance such as rotating the mattress, using a supportive foundation, and following the manufacturer’s care instructions, helps maintain the mattress’s supportive qualities.
You should always choose a foundation that is compatible with the mattress you choose. Heavier sleepers don’t need a different frame from other sleepers, especially when you choose a compatible foundation.