Medium firm is by far the most popular mattress firmness in Canada. This firmness option offers great support without creating strain or uncomfortable pressure points, which is ideal for most sleepers. This universal firmness is best for side sleepers, though most Canadians will find comfort in this option.
Choosing a medium-firm mattress doesn’t have to be difficult. We’ve created this list of the best medium-firm mattresses in Canada for 2023 using our own test results and tester feedback. We looked at performance features, support, and a host of other features to determine which mattresses would be best for you.
Best Medium Firm Mattresses in Canada for September 2023
Why Did We Choose These Medium Firm Mattresses in Canada?
During our extensive evaluation process, we chose the mattresses for our list based on how they stood out among the competition. These mattresses are all the best in their class, but these standout features took them above and beyond. Here’s why each of these medium-firm mattresses made our list for the best in Canada.
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is the best medium-firm mattress in Canada for 2023. This mattress has the best support and mix of features than any other mattress in the market. The coil layer for this mattress is zoned for better support overall, including through the centre of the mattress for additional balancing.
The Douglas Mattress is the best all-foam medium-firm mattress in Canada overall. This mattress boasts cooling features, pressure relief, and a responsive surface that is still supportive and comfortable.
The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress is the best luxury hybrid on our list. This mattress uses some of the best materials on the market to create a sleep surface that is plush and comfortable as well as extremely supportive, especially due to the two coil layers used in its construction.
Canadians who sleep hot or live in a warm climate will love the Octave Horizon Mattress, our choice for the best cooling medium-firm mattress in Canada. This mattress has multiple temperature-cool properties in its construction, ensuring you will never wake up hot and sweaty.
Are you tired of waking up when your partner tosses and turns? The Endy Hybrid Mattress might be the perfect option for you. This mattress features active motion isolation, so you can stay asleep even when your partner is tossing and turning.
If you want a more budget-friendly option that still offers outstanding support, consider the Noa Mattress. This option is firmer and more supportive than some options on the Canadian market. It uses premium materials but comes without the premium price that you might expect.
Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is a medium-firm mattress that is both cool and supportive, thanks to its combination of premium foam and pocketed coils. As our pick for the best medium-firm mattress available in Canada, it excels at providing pressure relief and support as you sleep.
The mattress comes with an antimicrobial cover that discourages bacteria growth. The top layer of the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is made with high-quality quilted foam. This plush surface keeps you cool while you sleep. Underneath is a 2-inch layer of high-density memory foam which relieves pressure points. The mattress has zoned lumbar support giving you extra support under your hips as you sleep. The pocketed spring coils also help to provide support as you sleep in addition to limiting motion transfer. The entire bed has an extra firm perimeter which keeps the edges from sagging when you sit or sleep near the side of the bed.
The Canadian-made mattress is created from high-quality materials from conscious North American manufacturers. The foam, fabric, and steel coils are all produced in Toronto, Ontario. The memory foam is Certi-PUR-US certified, so you don’t have to worry about harmful materials being released from the mattress while you sleep. Shipping is free, and returns are easy. You can try the mattress at home during the 100-night trial. The Silk & Snow Hybrid comes with a 15-year warranty.
- Cooling Features. A layer of quilted foam at the top of the mattress as well as cooling gel foam through the centre of the mattress help keep temperatures from getting too hot while you sleep.
- Zoned Coil Support. The coil layer features zoned pocket coils, with firmer coils at the centre of the mattress for better lumbar and hip support.
- Made in Canada. All of the materials used in the Silk & Snow Mattress are made in Canada and transparently sourced on Silk & Snow’s website.
- Limits Motion Transfer. Sometimes, your partner tossing and turning can wake you up. This mattress helps reduce motion transfer, thanks to high-density foam layers. You can sleep without any disturbances.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress offers some of the best support and comfort on the Canadian market. The medium-firm feel is a great option for most Canadians. Our testers woke feeling well-rested after sleeping on this mattress.”
The Douglas Mattress
It's Great For:
The Douglas mattress is our choice for the best all-foam medium-firm mattress in Canada. This mattress has many of the features that the average sleeper needs for a good night’s rest, and is made from multiple high quality layers of foam. The Canadian-made mattress provides excellent support and pressure point relief no matter what position you usually sleep in.
Thanks to its specially-designed layers, the Douglas Mattress delivers a great sleep experience. The mattress has a washable cover that draws moisture away keeping you cool and dry throughout the night. The top layer is an ecoLight cooling gel foam that provides the durability and responsiveness of memory foam but doesn’t retain heat. Underneath is a layer of Elastex foam. This non-latex layer is supportive and responsive. The bottom layer is made of motion isolation support foam which allows you to sleep without being disturbed by your partner’s movements.
The Douglas Mattress is made with sustainable fibres, and its ecoLight cooling gel foam uses less carbon input than regular high-density memory foam. You can sleep on the mattress for 365 nights at home to decide whether it’s right for you. If not, you can return the mattress for a full refund. The mattress is covered by a 20-year warranty.
- Cooling Gel Foams. The layers of foam within the Douglas mattress help reduce temperature, so you won’t wake up with night sweats.
- Washable Top Cover. The cover of the Douglas Mattress is made with cooling Infinitex fibres. It is machine washable and dryable, so you can easily zip it off and refresh your bed.
- Supportive Core. The core of the mattress features a layer of motion-isolation support foam, which can help align your body and provide better support overall.
- Eco-Conscious Foams. A layer of ecoLight foam, which uses 40% less carbon than standard memory foam, features in the core of the mattress. It also features Elastex, a responsive latex foam alternative.
Our Expert’s Take
“We loved the way the Douglas Mattress felt, especially because of its supportive core and comfortable top layers. This mattress was a great option for side sleepers, especially those who needed a medium-firm mattress.”
Video Demonstrating the Douglas Mattress
Best Luxury Hybrid
The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress
It's Great For:
The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress is the best luxury hybrid mattress in Canada for 2023. It features a luxurious Euro-top section for extreme comfort. This layer features great breathability and a plush feel that can have you falling asleep easier than ever. It features gel-infused foam for better cooling as well as breathable fill for cushion.
The first layer of the mattress is ecoLuxe cooling foam, which uses less carbon input than standard memory foam. This layer helps relieve pressure and remove heat from the mattress. Below, a layer of micro-coils helps contour to your body, promoting better airflow overall and producing more support. A layer of transitional Elastex foam is great for your deepest pressure points, creating a responsive and contouring surface.
The pocket coil layer is where this luxurious mattress shines. Here, you’ll find five different comfort zones, including a band of firm support coils in the centre of the mattress. This layer also features softer coils around your shoulders for better pressure relief and firmer coils around the edges to support those who sit or sleep near the edge of the mattress.
Overall, this mattress brings comfort and support, both ideal options for those who prefer a medium-firm mattress. Each layer and material is thoughtfully placed to provide the best sleep experience.
- Two Coil Layers. There are two coils layers within the Logan and Cove Frontier Mattress, including a micro-coil layer and a layer of thick pocket springs.
- Cooling Top Layer. The Euro-Top top layer is extremely cooling, using gel-infused foam and hollow-fibre fill to achieve a breathable sleeping surface.
- Zoned Pocket Coils. The coil layer features softer coils under your shoulders for better pressure relief, as well as firmer coils under your lower back for support.
- Outstanding Edge Support. The coils around the outside edge of the coil layer are firmer, which means the edges won’t sink, slide, or collapse when you sit there.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Logan and Cove Frontier Mattress feels like a dream for anyone who likes a medium-firm mattress. Firm support and a comfortable top make this mattress stand out.”
Octave Horizon Mattress
It's Great For:
Canadians who are looking for a medium-firm mattress with the best cooling properties should consider the Octave Horizon. Made of 5 different foam layers, all working to provide comfort, support and great temperature control, this mattress is a good option for most users.
Those who sleep hot will love the cover of the Octave Horizon, which is made from a breathable fabric that is designed to increase airflow closest to the body, eliminating hot and stuffy air. Infused with CryoFusion nanofibres, this cover keeps even the hottest sleepers cool by wicking away heat and moisture, eliminating night sweats and overheating. For accidental spills or those wanting to regularly clean their mattress, the top part of the cover can be easily zipped off and machine-washed.
The top layer of the Octave Horizon is made from cooling foam and is designed to further reduce heat for those who sleep warm. Inside the foam, a unique blend of copper threading and PolarMAX phase change material creates a naturally antimicrobial and airy foam that keeps the mattress temperature neutral no matter the season.
In the middle of the mattress are three layers of foam, more than many other options on the market- and make this mattress stand out. First, a layer of aerated latex foam gives the Octave Horizon a bounce without leaving sleepers feeling trapped in their mattress. Next, ecoLuxe foam provides superior temperature control by cooling those who sleep hot and helps to soothe aching muscles and joints. Last, a layer of Elastex foam helps adapt to your changing positions throughout the night and provides ease of movement when getting in and out of bed. All three layers together do a great job of aiding in pressure relief, which is especially beneficial to those who tend to wake up stiff and uncomfortable.
The base of the Octave Horizon is made from thick, high-density foam. While many all-foam mattresses retain heat, this option allows for air and heat to be released through built-in channels at the foundation of the mattress- a unique quality. Those who sleep hot will find this system to keep the mattress continuously cool and moisture-free. Canadians who co-sleep will benefit from the motion isolation in this base layer, and those who sleep with restless partners will find they can sleep peacefully without getting woken up. Those who tend to suffer from aching joints and pressure points will love the zoned support system designed to cradle hips, backs and shoulders, which is especially helpful to side and back sleepers.
The Octave Horizon is one of the best medium-firm mattresses on the market and is definitely the best one for Canadians who sleep hot. Available in all standard mattress sizes, this option is a great choice, no matter what size of bed you are shopping for. With a longer than average sleep trial of 365 nights, you have plenty of time to make sure this mattress is the perfect one for you.
- Washable Cooling Cover. Created from a fabric that is infused with cooling CryoFusion Nanofibres, this cover keeps even the warmest sleepers cool and sweat-free. For an additional benefit, it can be easily removed and machine-washed.
- Blended Latex Foam. This aerated latex layer is made from a blend of synthetic and natural latex, which gives the mattress spring without leaving the user feeling stuck.
- ecoLuxe Gel Foam. Those who sleep hot or live in warm climates will benefit from this ultra-cooling gel layer, which also provides deep pressure relief for aching joints.
- High-Density Base Layer. This thick foundation layer of the Octave Horizon excels in motion isolation and pressure relief for all sleeping positions. Its built-in air channels ensure the mattress stays cool and moisture-free throughout the seasons.
Our Expert’s Take
“Canadians who sleep extra hot will love this medium firm cooling mattress. Sleepers will wake up comfortable and sweat-free, no matter how warm they naturally sleep.”
Best Motion Isolation
The Endy Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
The Endy Mattress is a medium-firm mattress that stands out for its motion isolation qualities. This hybrid mattress is made with open-cell Endy Comfort foam which makes it more breathable and more comfortable than a traditional memory foam mattress.
With five carefully designed layers, the mattress is engineered to provide the perfect level of firmness and support while you sleep. The Endy Mattress is topped with a plush quilted cover. Underneath is a layer of Endy Comfort Foam. This is a layer of open-cell structure foam that’s both breathable and responsive. Next is transitional foam. This layer helps with pressure relief and eliminates motion transfer. This means you won’t be disturbed if your partner moves around at night.
The base support layer is made with high-carbon steel pocket coils. They are wrapped individually, which means that they provide better motion isolation and airflow. The coils are also zoned. Firmer coils in the centre of the mattress provide lumbar support, so you’ll get support right where you need it. This layer also includes a perimeter of edge support coils, which help bolster the edges of the mattress.
All of the foam in the mattress is Certi-PUR-US Certified, so it doesn’t contain harmful VOCs, formaldehyde, or phthalates. The latex-free foam is manufactured at factories in Ontario and Quebec. Free shipping is offered in every Canadian province. You can try out the mattress at home during a 100-night trial to make sure it is right for you. The mattress is designed to be long-lasting and comes with a 15-year warranty.
- Eliminates Motion Transfer. Motion isolation features throughout the mattress help reduce any vibration or motion from the other side of the bed, so you can stay asleep even when your partner isn’t.
- Temperature-Neutral Foams. Each layer of foam is completely temperature-neutral, which means it won’t feel different based on the ambient temperature or the season.
- Firm Edge Support. The edges of the mattress are supported by firmer coils, which reduce sagging and collapse at the edges of the mattress.
- Support Foam and Coils. The Endy Hybrid Mattress uses a layer of zoned coils, but it also features a second supportive foam layer to help reduce sagging and keep your mattress comfortable for years to come.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Endy Hybrid Mattress features some of the best motion isolation on the Canadian market. You’ll get strong support while staying comfortable throughout the night.”
Video Demonstrating the Endy Hybrid Mattress
The Noa Mattress
It's Great For:
The Noa Mattress is a hybrid mattress that is both highly responsive and supportive. If you’re looking for a budget hybrid mattress, the Noa Mattress is a great option. The mattress combines all the best qualities of latex, cooling gel memory foam, and pocket springs to create a comfortable sleep experience. This mattress is a bit on the firmer side, making it ideal for those who suffer with back pain or need better support.
The Noa Mattress has a breathable pillow top with a Tencel cover that is both antibacterial and hypoallergenic. Underneath is a layer of open-cell latex that keeps you cool throughout the night as well as provides support for your back, shoulders, and hips. Next is a layer of cooling gel memory foam which further prevents heat from building up and relieves pressure points.
A layer of transition foam works to isolate motion and keep you from waking up even if your partner tosses and turns during the night. The mattress’s base layer is made of pocket springs which are durable, supportive, and responsive. Also, the mattress is encased with perimeter edge support foam to keep the edges from sagging when you sit or sleep at the edge of the bed.
All of the foam used in the mattress are REACH certified. After receiving the mattress, you’ll have a 120-night trial period to decide whether the Noa Mattress is right for you. If not, you can return the mattress for a full refund. The mattress is covered with a 15-year warranty.
- Comfortable Pillow-Top. The pillow-top section of this mattress uses a layer of cool, responsive latex foam to reduce body impressions and keep you comfortable no matter how you sleep.
- Hand-Tufted Cover. The cover of the Noa Mattress is hand-tufted, with handmade attention to detail that makes it look and feel amazing. The cover is so antibacterial and hypoallergenic.
- Firmer Feel. Firmer foams and stronger support make this mattress one of the firmest options on our list. It’s great for those who prefer a firm mattress or need better support.
- Reinforced Edges. The firmer foam used around the edges of the mattress help maintain the same level of support from one side of the mattress to the other.
Our Expert’s Take
“With a plush pillow top and strong support, the Noa mattress is one of the best values you can get for your money in Canada.”
Why Trust Us?
We selected each mattress on our list because it provides a good sleep experience overall in addition to standing out for a particular factor. We looked at the specific qualities that help sleepers get a good night of rest.
We examined the following qualities and features to help us choose the best medium firm mattresses in Canada of 2023.
- Cooling Technologies: While memory foam mattresses are good at a lot of things, they are not great at preventing body heat from building up overnight. We only included mattresses on our list that have features to allow heat to escape because no one wants to wake up hot in the middle of the night.
- Motion Isolation: Many people who sleep with a partner need a mattress that doesn’t move every time their partner turns. Every mattress on our list has at least one feature that reduces motion transfer, and some of the mattresses even have zero motion transfer.
- Pressure Relief: Foam mattresses tend to be good at relieving pressure points because they contour to your body. We’ve taken a look at how well the mattresses on our list reduce pressure points. For some sleepers, pressure relief is a bigger concern than for others. If you wake up sore on your current mattress, this is a factor to consider.
- Lack of Harmful Chemicals: All foam mattresses release chemicals during off-gassing when opened. However, we have only included mattresses on our list that are certified as free from harmful chemicals. While you will notice a slight odour at first, all of the chemicals are non-toxic. Opening a window will help the odour disappear faster, but the chemicals will not affect the air quality inside your home.
What is the Best Firmness for a Mattress?
There is no one answer to what firmness is best for a mattress because the answer comes down to individual factors. If it’s been a while since you last bought a mattress, you may not be sure what firmness works best for you.
To help you figure out what firmness is likely to work well for you, let’s talk about what different kinds of sleepers generally prefer.
If you sleep on your back, you probably need a mattress that has some give around your lower back but is not so soft that your hips are out of alignment. A medium-firm mattress usually works well for back sleepers. Back sleepers also typically tend to appreciate hybrid mattresses because they have a good balance between responsiveness and support.
If you sleep on your back, you need a mattress that has enough give around your shoulders and lower back but still supports the rest of your body. For some side sleepers, a medium firm mattress provides that cushioning that they need, but other side sleepers prefer something a bit softer. Mattresses that provide zoned support and memory foam mattresses tend to work well for side sleepers.
If you sleep on your back, you are probably going to be most comfortable in a bed that offers more lift and support. In general, stomach sleepers prefer a firmer bed. This allows their hips to stay level with their shoulders and keep their spines aligned. Spring or hybrid mattresses tend to work well for stomach sleepers.
If you move through different positions throughout the night, you’re a combination sleeper. In general, a medium-firm mattress is most comfortable for combination sleepers. It’s soft enough for side sleeping while also offering enough support for periods of stomach sleeping and back sleeping throughout the night.
How To Choose a Medium Firm Mattress for Canadians
Medium-firm is one of the most popular firmnesses in Canada, but there are a lot of things to consider before you choose your mattress. Here are some of the mattress basics you should keep in mind as you shop.
Type of Mattress
There are many types of mattresses available on the Canadian market, but most of the best medium-firm mattresses in Canada fall into one of these two categories.
- All Foam mattresses use layers of memory foam or latex to create a comfortable sleep surface. The support core of these mattresses is made of foam, too. Often, the support core is made of a firmer and more supportive foam than the comfort and transition layers above.
- Hybrid mattresses also use layers of foam, but they are supported with a layer of firm, supportive coils. Pocket coils are most often used to create the level of comfort and support needed for those who seek hybrid mattresses. Sometimes, these coil layers are zoned for better support in common areas where it is needed, such as the edges of the mattress and the lower back.
If you often wake up hot, you aren’t alone. Many Canadians face this problem, especially on warmer summer nights. Though the temperature outside has something to do with how warm you’ll get at night, it can also depend on your mattress. If your mattress doesn’t vent heat or absorb higher temperatures, it can build up as you sleep. Foam mattresses are some of the worst when it comes to heat build-up.
Thankfully, some mattresses come with active temperature control features. Look for mattresses with perforated foams, breathable layers, cooling gel foams, and more.
Some mattresses make it difficult to sleep near the edge of the bed or sit on the edge of the bed in the morning. If you find that your mattress collapses under you or sinks and slides, you need an option with better edge support. This can come in the form of firmer edge support coils in a hybrid mattress or a firm foam perimeter in an all-foam option. Keep an eye out for mattresses that can help improve edge support for the mattress.
As you sleep, pressure points can form where you touch the mattress. These pressure points are uncomfortable and can cause aches, but it’s also a sign that you need a more supportive mattress. Often, pressure points form because a mattress doesn’t have great pressure relief, or allows you to sink too far into the mattress layers. A mattress with good pressure relief will bolster you out of the mattress and keep you supported and comfortable throughout the night.
If you are a light sleeper, you may wake up when your partner tosses and turns. This is because motion can transfer across the mattress in most traditional coil mattresses. Thankfully, foam mattresses and hybrid options can both reduce motion transfer quite a bit. Foam can absorb motion, stopping it before it reaches the other side of the bed. If you’re tired of waking up on your partner’s restless nights, consider choosing a mattress that is better for motion isolation.
Why Buy Your Mattress Online?
If you’ve never bought a mattress in a box online in Canada before, you may be unsure about what to expect about the process. However, there are lots of good reasons to buy a mattress online instead of buying a mattress in person.
Here are a few of the benefits of buying your new medium-firm mattress online in Canada.
You’ll save money: A quick look at mattress prices will quickly confirm that quality mattress prices aren’t cheap. Still buying a good mattress online is usually less expensive than buying one of the same quality in a store. Buying online from the manufacturer has fewer overhead costs than buying in person. The store retail price of the mattress includes costs for the store’s showroom employees, storefront costs, and utilities.
You won’t pay a delivery fee: The majority of online mattress retailers offer free delivery to your home with a few exceptions. You likely won’t have to pay a delivery fee or figure out how to get a mattress from the store to your home.
You won’t be pressured to buy: When buying a mattress online, you can take your time figuring out which mattress is the best fit for you. If you buy in person, it can be difficult to spend time browsing without feeling pressured to buy right away. When you can take your time to look at each option and compare them, you’ll be more likely to choose a better mattress for you.
You can research on your own time: When all of the information about the mattresses you want is available online, you don’t have to rely on a salesperson to tell you about the benefits of each mattress. You can take your time looking at each feature, researching what it means, and putting in the work before you decide which mattress to buy.
How to Buy a Medium Firm Mattress in Canada Online
Once you’re ready to buy an online mattress, you’ll want to find out information about more than just the mattress itself. Some online mattress companies have better customer satisfaction than others. Here are some things to look for to make sure you are able to choose the right mattress and have a good experience ordering a mattress online.
Since you can’t physically touch a mattress from an online mattress manufacturer, many companies have a sleep trial period where you can try out a mattress to see how well it works for you. Different companies have different lengths of sleep trials, but most offer a 60 to 120-day trial period.
The Douglas mattress, however, provides an industry-leading sleep trial. This 365-night trial is one of the longest options on the Canadian market. It gives you plenty of time to try the mattress to see if it’s perfect for you.
Your body needs at least 30 days to get used to the feel of the new mattress before you know how well it works for you. Check to make sure that any company you buy an online mattress from has a sufficiently long sleep trial period. You should be able to easily return the mattress if it doesn’t work for you.
While you hopefully won’t need to return your mattress, you should make sure that you order a mattress from a company with a clear return policy. Find out how long you have to try out the mattress and still get a full refund. Also, check to see whether returns are free or whether there is a fee. Policies differ from one company to another. If you aren’t comfortable with the return policy, buy a mattress from a different company instead.
A mattress is a significant purchase, and you don’t want to waste money on one with defects. All mattresses should come with a warranty. Warranty terms and conditions vary by company, so make sure to read what the warranty offers before you make a purchase. You should pay close attention to what type of damages the warranty covers.
Some warranties only cover specific types of damage or may be void if you don’t use the correct type of foundation with your mattress. Paying attention to these specifics can save you money and hassle in the long run.
Mattress warranties should last at least 10 years. While some trials are longer, 10 years is a realistic and valuable warranty length.
Frequently Asked Questions
Side sleepers and those who need firmer support can benefit most from a medium-firm mattress in Canada. Of course, some Canadians prefer medium-firm mattresses regardless of their sleeping position, too.
If you are experiencing discomfort when you lay down on your mattress, it may be too firm for you. Mattresses are made to be comfortable and help reduce pressure points. Sleeping on a mattress that is too firm can bring all kinds of discomfort.
While some recommend firm mattresses for back pain, medium-firm mattresses provide better support and pressure relief overall. If you have back issues, a medium-firm mattress can be a great place to start.
Most Canadians can find comfort on a medium-firm mattress. That’s because medium-firm is one of the most versatile firmness options, and can be comfortable for most regardless of sleeping position.