When you are looking to buy a new mattress, one of the first things you may be comparing is the cost. Mattresses can be expensive, and there is a wide range of costs and Canadian companies. A great mattress does not have to wipe out your savings, and there are many fantastic budget mattresses. Our team of mattress experts and testers spent hundreds of hours trying out all the best low-cost mattresses you can buy in Canada to provide you with the best options.
Each low-cost mattress in our review today was tested on multiple features and benefits. Each tester tried a mattress for extended periods of time and tested numerous mattresses to get equal and fair evaluations. Only the very best mattresses made it onto our list today. Here are our picks for the best cheap mattresses in Canada for 2023.
The Best Cheap Mattresses for Canadians in September 2023
- Best Overall – The Douglas Mattress
- Best for Edge Sleepers – Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
- Best Cooling – Octave Vista Mattress
- Best for Restless Sleepers – Logan & Cove Choice Mattress
- Best for Allergies – Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress
- Best All Foam – The Endy Mattress
- Best for Co-Sleepers – Silk & Snow Mattress
- Best Pressure Relief – The Recore Mattress
- Best Hybrid Mattress – The Noa Mattress
- Best Durability – The Brunswick Mattress
- Best Budget-Conscious – The Juno Mattress
Why Did We Choose These Cheap Mattresses in Canada?
Each of these low-cost mattresses that we are reviewing today was chosen after hours of research by our professional team and testers. After receiving user feedback and test results, we combined our data to figure out how these mattresses stacked up. Here is why each budget mattress made our list today.
Canadians looking for an inexpensive mattress with great all-around features will love the Douglas Mattress, which we chose as the best cheap mattress in Canada. This mattress features excellent temperature control measures and is great for those who co-sleep.
With a reinforced perimeter, the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is our favourite low-cost mattress for those who sleep on the edge of the bed in Canada. This mattress is great for all sleeping positions, anyone who sleeps warm, and Canadians who like to sleep near the edge.
Many Canadians wake up hot, sweaty and uncomfortable, which can often be caused by a mattress that retains heat. The Octave Vista Mattress has excellent cooling properties, with its cooling cover and multiple layers of temperature control foam.
While many mattresses cater to one specific sleeping position, the majority of Canadians shift positions throughout the night. The Logan & Cove Choice Mattress is an ideal mattress for anyone who is restless at night, with its layer of Elastex foam that adapts quickly, conforming to your body as you move.
With CetiPUR-certified foam made with all antibacterial materials, the Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress is perfect for any Canadians concerned about cleanliness or seasonal allergies. This mattress boasts breathable fabric and a cover that can be washed, which is unique for a hybrid mattress.
The Endy Mattress has excellent features and is our pick for the best all-foam, lower-cost mattress in Canada. This mattress has multiple foam layers that do a great job with pressure relief, motion isolation between partners and keeping sleepers cool and comfortable.
For our Canadian readers who co-sleep with restless partners, the Silk & Snow Mattress does a fantastic job of preventing motion transfer. Those seeking ultimate rest while also getting great pressure relief should consider this mattress.
Users who suffer from pressure point pain or achy joints will like the Recore Mattress, our pick for the best mattress for pressure relief. This mattress helps alleviate stiffness and pain and provides a deeply restorative sleep.
Those looking for all the great features and benefits that a foam mattress offers and the durability and support that comes with coil spring mattresses will love the Noa Mattress. This great hybrid mattress features a plush pillowtop, bouncy coil foundation and great edge support.
The Brunswick Spring Mattress is our pick for Canada’s best budget mattress for long-term durability. It features a plush pillowtop, a supportive coil base and a reinforced edge to prevent perimeter breakdown.
The Juno Mattress is an excellent option for any Canadian who doesn’t want to sacrifice quality but is hoping to spend less money on a mattress. This mattress features excellent temperature control, motion isolation for co-sleepers and pressure relief measures.
The Douglas Mattress
It's Great For:
Finding an inexpensive mattress with top-of-the-line materials, construction, and comfort can be tricky, but the Douglas Mattress fits the bill. Made from high-quality Canadian fabrics and materials, this mattress will appeal to most Canadians on a budget. This mattress helps cool sleepers throughout the night, has a washable cover and helps with motion isolation between co-sleepers.
The cover of the Douglas is made from a soft and airy fabric made from Infinitex fibres, designed to wick heat and moisture away from the body. This cover is inspired by the Western Mountains of Canada and stays cool to the touch no matter how warm you sleep. For those with allergies or accidental spills, the cover can be zipped off and machine-washed.
Further helping sleepers stay heat-free while sleeping is the top layer of the mattress, which is made of an ecoLight cooling gel foam. Made with 40% less carbon input than most other memory foam mattresses, this layer is environmentally conscious and extremely cooling. Those who need pressure relief will appreciate the deep support this layer offers to joints and pressure points.
The middle layer of the Douglas Mattress features a layer of Elastex Foam, which is great for Canadians with latex allergies. This layer mimics latex in both feel and support, without the use of the real material. The bottom layer of the Douglas is catered to co-sleepers, with its fantastic motion isolation features, ensuring peaceful sleep even between restless partners. This base layer is durable and will keep the mattress firm and stable.
Available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King and Split King, the Douglas will work no matter what mattress size you are looking to buy. The mattress is 10” high, which will work for most sheet sets you may own. The Douglas is great for anyone seeking a Canadian-made budget mattress that won’t leave you sweaty and overheating.
- Infinitex Fibre Cover. Made of cool-to-the-touch Infinitex Fibres, this cover reduces body heat and can be machine washed and dried.
- EcoLight Cooling Gel. For those who sleep hot or keep their bedrooms warm, the EcoLight Gel is both environmentally friendly and has excellent temperature control.
- Elastex Foam Layer. For Canadians who are allergic to latex, this Elastex Foam layer supports those needing deep pressure relief and comfort without the use of real latex.
- Motion Support Base. Couples or co-sleepers seeking motion isolation will love the base layer of the Douglas Mattress, which is supportive and prevents the transfer of movement between restless sleepers.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was great for our testers with both seasonal and latex allergies. Our testers who sleep hot loved the cooling gel layer and mattress cover that kept them sleeping cool all night long.”
Best for Edge Sleepers
Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
Canadians who sleep on the edge of the bed will love the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress, which is our choice for the best cheap mattress for edge sleepers in Canada. This mattress has built-in perimeter reinforcement, ensuring the edge will not sink or sag over time like many other mattresses tend to. The Silk & Snow Hybrid features great temperature control, pressure relief and motion isolation and is built to last longer than many all-foam mattresses on the market.
The cover of the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is made from a quilted fabric that is soft and breathable. This antimicrobial material stays fresh and clean and prevents bacteria built up; perfect for those with allergies and skin sensitives. Directly under the quilted cover is a layer of cooling foam, which is great at reducing heat build-up for Canadians who sleep moderately warm.
The middle layer of the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is comprised of a layer of high-density memory foam designed to provide deep pressure relief for those who suffer from achy joints and back pain. Canadians who co-sleep will love the motion isolation that this layer provides, ensuring undisturbed sleep for the most restless sleepers.
Made of 1200 zoned support coils, the foundation of this mattress provides excellent support no matter what your sleeping position is. The middle section of this base is firmer, great for those who suffer back pain, while the outer thirds are softer, cradling your hips and shoulders. Those who sleep on the edge will find that the extra firm perimeter prevents sinking and sagging that can occur over time.
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and California King. The large range of sizes is great for those trying to find a mattress that will work with their existing bed frame or bedding. This mattress is 12”, perfect for anyone seeking a taller mattress profile. The Silk & Snow Mattress is a great pick for any Canadian looking for a budget mattress that doesn’t skimp on features.
- Quilted Cover. This antimicrobial cover prevents bacteria and odour build-up, perfect for those seeking a clean and healthy sleeping surface.
- Memory Foam Layer. Made of thick high-density foam, this layer provides deep pressure relief for joint pain and works hard at preventing motion transfer between co-sleepers.
- Pocket Coil Foundation. 1,200 tempered pocket coils make up the foundation of the Silk & Snow Hybrid and offer stability, with a slight bounce to the mattress. Those needing full body support will love the zoned coils that provide firm support for the back and legs and more cushioning for your hips and shoulders.
- Firm Edge Support. The perimeter of the mattress has reinforced firm coils along the entire mattress, perfect for those who sleep on the edge of the bed and are worried about sinking or sagging over time.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was well-reviewed by nearly every one of our testers in both comfort and support. Our testers enjoyed the firm edging to the bed, which didn’t break down over time.”
Best Cooling Mattress
Octave Vista Mattress
It's Great For:
Canadians who often wake up hot, sweaty and uncomfortable will want to choose a mattress that does not retain heat and actively helps reduce temperatures. The Octave Vista is a perfect option for anyone seeking a cheap cooling mattress that works better than many others on the market. This mattress has multiple features to help sleepers stay cool and dry night after night.
Those who sleep hot will find relief starting with the soft and breathable cover, which is infused with CryoFusion nanofibres. This cover helps to wick away heat and moisture, regardless of how warm you naturally sleep, ensuring you wake up sweat-free. For those with seasonal or dust allergies or wishing to regularly clean their mattress, the top part of the cover is easily zipped off and machine washed at will.
The Octave Vista is constructed from three different layers of high-quality foam. First, a layer of foam combines copper threading for the ultimate cooling measures and PolarMAX phase change material for year-round temperature control. This layer helps to additionally soothe aching joints and muscles and cushions pressure points no matter what position you sleep in.
The middle layer of the Octave Vista is made from Elastex foam, which mimics natural latex in feel and support. This layer is incredibly responsive and gives the mattress a slight spring without allowing users to sink too much into the surface. For Canadians who move throughout the night, this layer helps with ease of movement and adapts to changing positions.
At the base of the mattress, a thick layer of high-density memory foam helps to further cool sleepers and keep the mattress moisture-free. Unlike other memory foam foundations, the Octave Vista has unique built-in air channels that funnel warm air and heat away from the mattress. Those needing deeper support for pressure points and aching joints will benefit from the zoned support system, which caters to hips, backs and shoulders in five different custom zones. The foam in this layer also is wonderful for those who co-sleep with restless partners or pets, as it stops motion from being transferred.
Overall, the Octave Vista is a great option for any Canadian who tends to sleep hot and needs further cooling. With a budget-friendly price point, the features found in this mattress are typically found with much more expensive mattresses. This mattress comes in all standard sizes and includes a longer-than-average 365 sleep trial and a generous warranty.
- Cooling Cover. This cover is great for easy cleaning, with its ability to be removed and machine washed. The fabric, made from CryoFusion nanofibres, is cooling and wicks away heat and moisture for ultimate comfort.
- Cooling Foam. Combining copper threading and PolarMAX phase change material, this top layer of foam ensures that even the hottest sleepers will stay cool throughout the night, regardless of the season.
- Elastex Support Foam. Mimicking natural latex, this foam layer adapts to changing positions and cushions aching joints and painful pressure points for restorative and restful sleep.
- High-Density Foam Base. Made of high-density memory foam with built-in air flow and cooling features, this foundation is great for those needing deep pressure relief as well as co-sleepers needing motion isolation.
Our Expert’s Take
“Canadians who sleep hot will love the Octave Vista, with its many cooling features. Our testers loved the ability to wash the cover, as well as the bounce the mattress had.”
Best for Restless Sleepers
Logan & Cove Choice Mattress
It's Great For:
Many Canadians move around a lot at night and may find that their mattress doesn’t continually adapt to their sleeping position. The Logan & Cove Choice Mattress, however, does an excellent job at providing support and comfort no matter how much you move throughout the night, and its motion isolation feature will ensure that you won’t wake up your partner.
The cover of the Logan & Cove Choice Mattress is made of a quilted, plush fabric that is infused with CyroFusion cooling nanofibres. Those who sleep hot will find that this cover wicks away heat and moisture no matter how warm you may keep your bedroom. Within this quilted layer are layers of hollow fibre fill and gel-infused foam for a soft and comfortable sleeping surface that gently cushions you while sleeping.
A layer of cooling gel foam under the cover further reduces body temperatures, ensuring you won’t wake up hot and sweaty. Those with aching joints will find that the gel foam helps support and alleviate pressure point pain, especially for those who sleep on their side and need additional hip and shoulder support.
The middle layer of Elastex foam mimics natural latex and is the most responsive layer of the mattress. For those restless at night or frequently changing position, this layer will constantly adapt as you move, always keeping you comfortable and helping you achieve deeper, more peaceful sleep.
The foundation of the Logan & Cove Choice Mattress is made from 9” thick individually wrapped pocket coils. These coils make an ideal base for restless sleepers, as movement is quietly absorbed and won’t be transferred to your partner as you sleep. Edge sleepers will appreciate this mattress’s firm perimeter support and it won’t start to sink and sag over time like many other mattresses on the market.
The Logan & Cove Choice Mattress is 12” high and available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King and Split King, making it a great option no matter what size you are looking for. With a 365-night sleep trial, you can test this mattress out longer than any other mattress on the market. The Logan & Cove Choice is a wonderful budget mattress with luxury features and high-quality construction.
- Quilted Cover. This thick cover uses CyroFusion cooling nanofibres to cool sleepers and provides a plush surface with its fill made of hollow fibres and ge-infused foam.
- Cooling Gel Foam. Whether you sleep hot or like to keep your bedroom warm, this layer of gel foam reduces and regulates temperatures night after night.
- Elastex Foam. Those who change positions throughout the night or are naturally restless will appreciate this layer of foam, which adapts and cradles your body every time you move.
- Coil Base. Made of firm, individually wrapped pocket coils, the base of the Logan & Cove Choice is supportive and is ideal for those who are restless and co-sleep, needing extra motion isolation.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was perfect for our testers who tend to move around a lot at night and can’t often become comfortable. The foam was cushioning and adaptive, and our testers found deeper sleep using this mattress.”
Best for Allergies
Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
For Canadians that are seeking a slim mattress with great features, the Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress is a great choice. This mattress is filled with excellent benefits, especially for anyone concerned about allergies or cleanliness.
The cover of the Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress is breathable and soft, with a textured fabric that promotes airflow closest to the skin. This cover is removable and machine washable, not often found with hybrid mattresses. Those with allergies will find the washable cover ideal for regularly washing their mattress.
The middle layers of the Huch Iced Hybrid Mattress are made of bamboo viscose foam and a unique Super Elate Foam. These foam layers work to promote healthy sleep, being both naturally antibacterial and cooling with its silver and copper threading. Those who sleep hot will find the mattress wicks away heat and moisture without lingering odours.
The base of this mattress is made from 4” honeycomb coils, which are unique to the Hush Iced Hybrid. These coils are individually wrapped and super quiet, absorbing motion before transferring between partners. Although the coils are short, they are as effective as other mattresses, 8” coils, and allow for a slimmer overall mattress.
The Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen and King, which will work for most Canadians. This mattress is 11”, perfect for anyone seeking a slim profile, especially those with a more ornate bed frame. This mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial, which is fairly standard and gives you enough time to test it out. The Hush Iced Hybrid is a great budget mattress for anyone with allergies or needing to frequently clean their sleep surface.
- Washable Cover. The cover of the Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress is antibacterial and completely breathable. This cover can be removed and washed in your machine at home without any additional care instructions.
- Bamboo Foam Layer. Naturally cool and airy, this foam layer is responsive and great for those seeking pressure relief for achy joints.
- Super Elate Foam. Unique to Hush, this foam layer uses silver and copper threading to keep your mattress clean and uses graphite to pull heat away from sleepers, keeping you cool all night.
- Honeycomb Coil Base. The foundation of the Hush Iced Hybrid is made from 4” honeycomb coils that stop motion transfer between restless partners and support all sleeping positions.
Our Expert’s Take
“This budget mattress was enjoyed by all of our testers with allergies. The ability to wash the cover and the unique silver and copper qualities kept the mattress odour and heat free.”
Best All-Foam Mattress
The Endy Mattress
It's Great For:
For Canadians looking for a great all-foam mattress with many features, the Endy Mattress is a fantastic choice. As our pick for the best all-foam budget mattress available in Canada, this mattress has many layers that all work hard at providing motion isolation, temperature control and pressure relief.
The Endy Mattress has a quilted cover that is breathable and soft, helping to keep air circulating and fresh. This cover can be easily removed and is fully machine washable, which is great for those with allergies or who like a regularly clean sleeping surface.
For users who naturally sleep hot or like to keep their bedroom warm, the top layer of Endy Comfort Foam reduces temperature and releases trapped heat, keeping you cool throughout the night. This layer is made with open-cell technology, keeping it airy while providing pressure relief for those who suffer from aches and pain due to injuries or certain sleeping positions.
The second layer of the Endy Mattress is made of Endy Transition Foam and is ideal for those who co-sleep. This layer works hard at reducing motion transfer between even the most restless partners. At the base of the Endy is a thick layer of high-density foam. This Endy Support Foam is incredibly durable and won’t break down as quickly as some other all-foam mattresses on the market.
The Endy Mattress comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and California King. The large range of sizes is great for anyone looking to replace their current mattress and already has a base. The Endy can be placed on all supportive bed frame surfaces you own, or consider buying one of Endy’s accompanying bed frames available. Measuring 10”, most sheets will fit this mattress easily. For those seeking a great all-foam mattress that checks many boxes, the Endy Mattress is a great option for your next mattress purchase.
- Micro-Quilted Cover. This removable and washable cover is perfect for any Canadian with allergies or looking to wash their mattress often. Made of breathable, soft fabric, this cover helps reduce body temperatures all night long.
- Endy Comfort Foam. Supportive and cooling, this top layer of open-cell foam is great for those needing pressure relief as well as excellent temperature control.
- Transition Layer. This polyurethane foam layer prevents motion transfer and is great for those who co-sleep and often get woken up by their partners.
- Support Foam. Made of temperature-neutral high-density foam, this durable base of the Endy holds up better than many other memory foam mattresses.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was comfortable, supportive, and great at reducing pressure pain. Our testers, who often sleep warm, found this mattress cool and woke up sweat-free.”
Video Demonstration of the Endy Mattress
Best for Co-Sleepers
Silk & Snow Mattress
It's Great For:
Many Canadians sleep with a partner or co-sleep with active pets or restless children, finding themselves getting woken up repeatedly through the night. Finding a mattress that limits motion transfer is important, and the Silk & Snow Mattress does a great job at this making it our top pick for co-sleepers looking for a budget mattress in Canada for 2023. This mattress has excellent motion isolation, as well as pressure relief and cooling measures.
For those with allergies or who want to wash their mattress cover regularly, the Silk & Snow Mattress features a removable and washable cover. This soft cover is antimicrobial and hypoallergenic, ensuring a healthy and clean sleeping surface.
The top layer of the Silk & Snow Mattress is excellent for those seeking pressure relief due to aches and pains and is made from gel memory foam. This durable memory foam won’t crack or split and is designed to stand the test of time. This mattress is medium in firmness and is great for all sleeping positions.
Those who co-sleep or find that their pets or small children end up in their bed throughout the night will love the layer of motion isolation foam that the Silk & Snow Mattress offers. This transitional layer of foam stops motion transfer before it starts, ensuring undisturbed sleep no matter how much your partner may move around. This layer sits on top of a durable high-density foam base, which prevents overall mattress breakdown and general support.
The Canadian-made Silk & Snow Mattress is available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and California King. The entire mattress is 10” high and can be placed on platform beds, adjustable frames and box springs. For those looking for a great budget mattress aimed at diminishing movement between co-sleepers, the Silk & Snow Mattress is a top choice.
- Washable Covers. This antibacterial and hypoallergenic cover is removable and washable for the cleanest possible sleeping surface.
- Gel Memory Foam. This mattress uses a layer of comfortable, cooling gel memory foam. This layer cradles your body comfortably and reduces any discomfort from pressure points.
- Motion Isolation Foam. For those who co-sleep, this thick motion isolation transition foam prevents motion transfer between restless partners and pets.
- Supportive Base. The foundation of the Silk & Snow Mattress is formed from high-density memory foam and ensures long-term durability and support.
Our Expert’s Take
“We found that our testers who co-slept had a peaceful night’s rest and were not bothered by their partner’s movements. Our testers who often struggled with pressure point pain found the mattress extremely comfortable.”
Best for Pressure Relief
The Recore Mattress
It's Great For:
The Recore Mattress is a unique mattress that is designed for restorative sleep for those who happen to be especially active, athletic or need deep pressure relief. The Recore Mattress is our choice for the best budget mattress in Canada for those needing pressure relief. This mattress is great for all sleeping positions, is a medium firmness and is especially supportive.
The cover of the Recore Mattress is an antimicrobial material infused with SilverCharged threads designed to move heat and moisture away from the body. The top part of the hypoallergenic cover can be zipped off and removed and is machine washable, perfect for those with allergies or wanting a regularly clean sleeping surface.
Made of Graphite Latex, the top layer of the Recore Mattress helps to lower your core temperature throughout the night and is continuously releasing all trapped heat through the open-air channels and releasing thermal heat. Those who sleep hot or like to keep their bedrooms warmer will appreciate the cooling properties of this latex layer.
Under the layer of latex is a layer of cooling gel foam, which reduces and regulates body temperatures further, as well as provides pressure relief for those who suffer from achy joints or pressure point pain. Canadians who deal with hip and neck pain due to sleeping positions or athletes who are stiff after tough workouts will appreciate this gel layer that is supportive and provides restored sleep. The foundation of the Recore Mattress consists of a thick layer of high-density foam that helps eliminate motion transfer for those who co-sleep.
The Recore Mattress is available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and California King. This mattress is 10.5” high and will work on all platform, slatted and box spring foundations. Those seeking a mattress that will help alleviate pain and have you waking up cool and comfortable should definitely consider the Recore Mattress.
- Antimicrobial Cover. This soft cover that is infused with SilverCharged threads wicks away heat and is fully removable and machine washable.
- Graphite Latex Foam. Made of latex foam, this layer keeps sleepers cool throughout the night by moving heat away from the body through its open-air channels.
- Cooling Gel Layer. Canadians who sleep extra hot will appreciate this layer of cooling gel foam which reduces temperatures and provides deep pressure relief for achy joints.
- Supportive Base. Made of high-density foam, this durable base prevents motion transfer between partners and mattress breakdown over time.
Our Expert’s Take
“We found this mattress to be supportive and cushioning. Our testers woke up comfortable and rested, even those with deep pressure pain issues and achy joints.”
Video Demonstration of the Recore Mattress
Best Hybrid Mattress
The Noa Mattress
It's Great For:
Canadians seeking a great foam mattress with the support and durability of a spring mattress will love the Noa. This mattress is our pick for the best cheap hybrid mattress in Canada of 2023. With great cooling properties, reinforced edge support and a plush pillow top, this hybrid mattress is a great option for those who want the best of both mattress types.
The cover of the Noa Mattress is made from a breathable Tencel fabric, which is naturally hypoallergenic and antibacterial, great for those with seasonal or dust allergies. The cover is quilted and soft, wrapping all of the layers of the pillow top and support layers into place.
Within the soft and cozy pillow top layer are three different layers of foam, all working together for ultimate comfort. The first layer is made from open-cell cooling latex and cradles your body while reducing and regulating temperatures. Under that is a layer of cooling gel foam, further reducing heat while wicking away moisture. For those who need additional pressure relief, this layer is supportive and alleviates aches from pressure points. The bottom layer of the pillow top is a layer of transition foam, ideal for those who sleep with a restless partner and are seeking motion isolation.
At the base of the Noa Mattress is a thick layer of individual pocket springs, all wrapped in a breathable mesh to help increase airflow. These steel springs keep the mattress bouncy and supportive and won’t break down over time as some all-foam mattresses do. This layer makes this mattress ideal for heavier sleepers. Surrounding the perimeter of the coils is a layer of high-density foam, ensuring those who sleep on the edge of the bed won’t experience sinking and sagging over time.
The Noa Mattress comes in Twin, Full, Queen and King sizes that will work for most households looking to buy a new mattress. The Noa is 11” tall and can be placed on all standard platform frames or box springs. This mattress is a great choice for any Canadian looking for a plush pillow top hybrid mattress that is supportive and will last for many years to come.
- Tencel Cover. This cover is made with Tencel fibres, which are breathable and cool. The cover is quilted, soft, and will help keep you cool throughout the night.
- Plush Pillow Top. The pillow top of the Noa mattress features three layers, including open-cell latex for support, cooling gel for temperature control and transition foam for motion isolation.
- Coil Base. This extremely durable and stable coil spring base ensures support and bounce and won’t lose shape over time.
- Edge Support. For those who sleep on the edge, this reinforced high-density foam perimeter helps keep the edges of the bed firm through the years.
Our Expert’s Take
“Our testers found the pillow top to be extremely soft and cooling, and those who needed extra pressure relief found themselves comfortable and waking up pain-free.”
Video Demonstration of the Noa Mattress
The Brunswick Mattress
It's Great For:
For those seeking a mattress that they know will last them for many years, the Brunswick Mattress is a wonderful option. This mattress is made from top-of-the-line Canadian materials and construction, and its hybrid nature adds to its long-term durability. The Brunswick Spring Mattress offers edge support, though, good temperature control and unique spinal alignment support.
The pillow top of the Brunswick Spring Mattress is topped with a quilted polyester cover meant to maximize airflow and durability. The top layer of the pillow top features a lightweight padded fill created from Holofibre Fill that surrounds your body in supportive softness. Underneath, cooling gel foam reduces body temperatures and provides pressure relief to aching joints. The bottom layer of the pillow top is made of soy-infused Eco-foam, promoting lumbar support and spinal alignment.
The foundation of the Brunswick Mattress is made from a thick spring base. Made of individually pocketed steel coils, those who co-sleep will experience reduced motion transfer. Coil spring foundations are often more durable than all-foam mattresses, and this mattress is built with high-quality construction meant to hold up over time.
Surrounding the coil springs foundation of the Brunswick is a perimeter of reinforced support foam. This thick layer of encasement foam works hard at preventing any sinking and sagging of the edges over time due to repeated sleeping and sitting. Those who are edge sleepers will find this mattress to last longer than many other mattresses on the market due to its strong and sturdy edge support.
The Brunswick Spring Mattress comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and California King, making it a great choice for all bedroom sizes and frames. This mattress works great on any platform frame or box spring. The mattress measures 12” high, which is higher than average and great for anyone looking for a thicker, more plush mattress.
- Plush Pillow Top. This plush pillowtop is made from multiple layers of Holofibre Fill, Cooling Gel Foam and Eco-Foam, creating a soft and supportive sleeping surface.
- Gel Memory Foam. For those who sleep warm, the layer of cooling gel foam helps reduce and regulate body temperatures throughout the night.
- Coil Spring Base. More durable than foam bases, the pocket coil support foundation is supportive and helps reduce pressure pain and motion transfer.
- Edge Support. The reinforced encasement foam surrounds the entire mattress, preventing the sinking and sagging of the perimeter over time.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was supportive and had our testers feeling like they were sleeping on a firm cloud. Our testers found the construction to be incredibly high quality.”
The Juno Mattress
It's Great For:
This low-cost mattress is a great option for anyone who is looking to save money while still sleeping on a high-quality mattress. We think the Juno Mattress is the best mattress for budget-conscious Canadians. This mattress features motion isolation, temperature control add-ons, and every available size, all without breaking the bank.
The cover of the Juno Mattress is made of a durable knit cover that is soft and helps circulate air for those who sleep minimally warm. For Canadians who sleep extra hot, though, consider purchasing the Juno Cool+ Cover add-on. This additional cover is a small upcharge but will keep you cool night after night as it wicks away heat and moisture.
The 2” of body cooling gel foam lays at the top of the mattress, helping those who sleep warm and sleepers during the summertime stay cool and comfortable. This layer of gel foam also helps with pressure relief for anyone who suffers from achy joints and pressure pain.
At the base of the Juno Mattress is 6” of total support foam. Helping those who need additional pressure relief, this layer is aimed at supporting hips and backs, which is great for side and back sleepers. Couples and co-sleepers will appreciate this layer as well, as it has excellent motion isolation, ensuring you won’t be woken up by a restless partner.
The Juno Mattress comes in all sizes, including Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King and Split King. This 8” tall, all-foam mattress is an excellent choice for any Canadian who is hoping to spend less than what the average mattress cost in the Canadian market is.
- Soft Knit Cover. Made of breathable and plush knit, this cover is a great surface for this budget mattress. Warmer sleepers who want to upgrade have the option of choosing a more luxurious Cool+ Cover at the time of purchase.
- Cooling Gel Foam. 2” of Cooling Gel Foam sit at the top of the Juno Mattress, helping those who sleep hot or keep their bedrooms warmer stay cooler through the night.
- Support Foam Base. Couples and co-sleepers will love the support base, which prevents motion transfer and provides deep pressure relief for achy joints.
- Extensive Size Range. The Juno Mattress comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King and Split King, making this mattress accessible for everyone.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was comfortable and kept our warmers testers cool throughout the night, even in the summer. Our testers appreciated the low cost of this all-around great mattress.”
Why Trust Us?
We’ve spent years in the sleep industry. All that time, we’ve looked at all the new Canadian-made mattresses on the market and evaluated new market trends. We’ve spent weeks testing mattresses in our test lab and with our dedicated team of testers. As we approached this list of recommendations, we attempted to compare these mattresses based on the following performance areas:
- Affordability. How much does the mattress cost at full retail price? How much do you get for your money? We compared similar mattresses in different categories to assess what each mattress was really worth and brought you only the best.
- Quality. The quality of the mattress should be reflected in both the materials and the feel. We made sure that these mattresses were well-made and felt like quality products on all levels, regardless of their cost.
- Temperature Control. A mattress with great temperature control ensures that you don’t wake up overheated. Since a lot of Canadians struggle with sleeping too hot, this was an important feature to keep in mind.
- Motion Isolation. Motion isolation is extremely important if you share a bed. If you often wake up due to your partner’s restlessness, a mattress with great motion isolation should be able to help.
How to Choose a Cheap Mattress in Canada
Choosing an affordable mattress in Canada can be difficult. If you’re trying to save money, you might have to make some sacrifices. Below, we’ll outline the types of things you should be aware of. Luckily, there are a ton of affordable mattresses that perform well.
Before you can choose a mattress, you have to know what type of mattress you need. Your personal preferences, sleeping position, and body type can all inform the type of mattress you’re looking for. Make sure you know what you’re looking for with these basic options.
Type of Mattress
There are a few different mattress types available on the Canadian market. They are defined by the materials used to create them, which can result in vastly different firmness, support, and comfort levels. Some sleepers determine different types of mattresses, and knowing which type you like can help you narrow down your choices.
Here are the basic mattress types, most of which are represented on our list.
- Memory foam: Memory foam contours to your body, using your body heat to map out where it should sink. Memory foam is comforting and amazing at relieving pressure. However, it can also hold onto heat and cause you to overheat.
- Latex: Latex foam contours like memory foam, but the surface is more responsive. Latex also doesn’t generate heat quite as memory foam does. However, it’s common to have latex allergies.
- All foam: All foam mattresses use alternating layers of latex and memory foam. They often have the best properties of both. The composition of all-foam mattresses can matter, so make sure to keep an eye on how the different foams are layered.
- Hybrid: Hybrid mattresses combine the best foam mattresses and innerspring options. They include a supportive coil layer (usually with pocketed coils rather than connected ones) and layers of foam for comfort. Hybrid mattresses are more supportive than all-foam options, and they also isolate motion better than innerspring mattresses.
- Innerspring: Innerspring mattresses are the most common and traditional type of mattress. Innerspring mattresses use a layer of interconnected springs to create the support system for the mattress. Innerspring mattresses are typically not available online because they cannot be shipped easily.
You should choose the type of mattress to purchase based on your personal preferences. Pay close attention to the type of mattress when considering a mattress to purchase, and go with the one that works best for your sleeping preferences.
The firmness of a mattress determines how it will feel. It can also determine how supportive it is. Firmness is not a measure of comfort, but some might feel more comfortable on a certain type of mattress.
We rate our mattresses on the following firmness scale:
- Soft: 1-3
- Medium-Soft: 4
- Medium: 5
- Medium-Firm: 6 – 7
- Firm: 8+
These ratings are somewhat universal among mattress retailers. The number rating associated with each mattress can give you some idea of how firm they will be. While you should choose a mattress based on your personal preferences, this scale and the following information about sleeping position and body type can give you a great place to start.
Sleeping Position and Body Type
Your sleeping position and body type can inform what type of mattress you want. Body type and sleeping position have a lot to do with firmness, so those who sleep a certain way are generally more comfortable on some mattresses than others.
Light (less than 130lbs or 59kg)
Average (130lbs – 230lbs, or 59kg to 104kg)
Heavy (over 230lbs or 104kg)
These are only guidelines. You may prefer a mattress that feels different regardless of how you sleep. Even so, these recommendations can serve as guidance if you aren’t sure which type of mattress you would prefer.
Where will you put your mattress? Foam mattresses, especially, need support to support you. Make sure that you take a look at the different types of foundations that are compatible with each mattress. If you want to avoid spending more money, look for a mattress that is compatible with the foundation you already own.
However, most mattresses will be compatible with multiple different types of foundations. Evaluate your options and choose the one that works well for you, especially if you don’t want to purchase an additional foundation.
While most memory foam mattresses provide great pressure relief, some do so much more. A mattress with great pressure relief will prevent pressure points, which can make you uncomfortable and cause you to wake up in the middle of the night. Mattresses with very little pressure relief can make you sleep terribly, too. To avoid this, look for mattresses with more foam layers, soft transition foam layers, and a softer feel in general.
Unboxing and Off-Gassing
When you receive your mattress, it will be rolled up and packaged tightly in plastic. To unbox your mattress, simply move the box into the room where your foundation is set up. Remove the mattress from the box and carefully cut open the plastic.
As soon as you cut the plastic, the mattress will start expanding to its normal size. It will take about 48 hours for the mattress to finish expanding. During this time, you shouldn’t sleep on the mattress. Wait until these first 48 hours have passed.
During this time, the mattress may have an odour. This ‘off-gassing’ is completely natural and harmless, though it may irritate some people. Make sure that you set up a fan and have proper ventilation in the room. Over time, the mattress will lose this odour.
A sleep trial allows you to try the mattress before you decide to keep it. After your purchase, you’ll have a set amount (usually between 60 and 120 days) to see if the mattress is right for you. If it isn’t, you can return it for a full refund of your purchase price. This gives you much more time to try a mattress than you’d get at a physical store.
Make sure to read the sleep trial policies for each mattress company, as they can vary greatly.
Now that you know what you should be looking for, it’s time to go over some special features. Keep in mind that mattresses with these features can be a little more expensive, but most of the mattresses on our list have at least some of these features.
If you often find yourself waking up overheated or uncomfortable, you might need a mattress with better temperature control. Memory foam mattresses are notoriously warm, as the memory foam layers usually hold onto heat more than layers of fills and fabrics do. Because of this, most memory foam mattresses have temperature control features.
Gel memory foams, perforated foams, and breathable layers all contribute to how well a mattress controls temperature. If you usually sleep warm, look for mattresses with some of these features. The more temperature control features a mattress has, the cooler it will be to sleep on! Keep in mind that your sheets and blankets contribute to how warm your mattress feels, too.
If your partner is often restless, you know how important it is for a mattress to isolate motion. A mattress with motion isolation features will stop motion as it happens, preventing it from travelling across to the other side of the mattress. While traditional innerspring mattresses allow motion to transfer fairly easily, foam mattresses are usually much better at isolating motion.
If you are often woken up by your partner turning over in the middle of the night, consider choosing a mattress that features motion-isolating properties. You’ll sleep much easier!
Sleeping near the edge of the bed is usually fine for an innerspring mattress, but foam mattresses are a little trickier. Most foam mattresses feel less supportive near the edges, which can be a pain if you regularly sit or sleep near the edge. You might feel as though you’re sliding off the mattress as you get nearer to the edge.
A mattress with firmer edge support will feel the same throughout. Some mattresses might include firm foam perimeters to help support you as you get closer to the edge. It’s important to look for if you’re concerned about that sliding feeling.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, each of the mattresses that we featured in our list today is made in Canada. The mattresses are all manufactured and distributed from Canadian warehouses, unlike some other mattresses on the market today.
Each mattress that we featured today is either an all-foam mattress or a hybrid mattress. All foam mattresses are made of multiple layers of foam stacked on top of one another to create the mattress. A hybrid mattress is made of layers of foam or fill that are layered on top of a coil-spring base. While hybrid mattresses can be more durable in the long term, foam mattresses offer excellent benefits and are often less expensive.
It is easy to assume that lower cost might equal lower quality, but you can be confident that each of these mattresses in our budget mattress lost today will last for many years. Each mattress we reviewed today includes a warranty that is at least ten years long and some as much as 20 years. These Canadian companies are confident their mattresses will hold up long term.