Side sleepers are extremely common in Canada. Sleeping on your side can help you stay comfortable throughout the night, particularly if you want to avoid the discomfort associated with back or stomach sleeping. If you sleep on your side, you need a mattress that offers better pressure relief, alignment, and support than most other sleepers.
The mattresses on our list are recommended to you based on our extensive testing process, which involves testing at the lab and in our tester’s homes. Each of these mattresses excelled for side sleepers for one reason or another, making them the best mattresses for side sleepers in Canada of 2023.
Spoiler Alert – Here’s Our Pick for Best Side Sleeper Mattress in Canada of 2023
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress emerges as our recommendation for the best side sleeper mattress in Canada this year. From standout pressure relief to advanced temperature regulation, you’ll find something for every side sleeper in this great mattress.
The Best Side Sleeper Mattresses in Canada
- Best Overall Mattress for Side Sleepers – Silk & Snow Hybrid
- Best Luxury Hybrid Mattress for Side Sleepers – Logan & Cove Frontier
- Best Side Sleeper Mattress for Pressure Relief – Endy Hybrid
- Best Side Sleeper Mattress for Co-Sleepers – Octave Mirage
- Best All Foam Side Sleeper Mattress – Douglas Summit
- Best Motion Isolated Side Sleeper Mattress – Endy
- Best Hybrid Side Sleeper Mattress – Brunswick
- Best Cooling Side Sleeper Mattress – Hush Arctic Luxe
- Best Proprietary Foam Side Sleeper Mattress – Polysleep Origin
- Best Side Sleeper Mattress for Edge Sleepers – Noa
Why Did We Choose These Side Sleeper Mattresses for Canadians?
As our team of testers put each of these mattresses through their paces, they began to stand out to us in different ways. Each of these mattresses made it onto our list because of the way it stood out from the rest of the options here (as well as the rest of the mattresses on the Canadian market). Here is why we chose each of the best mattresses for side sleepers.
With a combination of zoned coils, supportive foam, and additional pressure relief, the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is the best mattress for Canadian side sleepers overall. This mattress has everything a side sleeper needs, particularly if they prefer a little extra support.
The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress is a luxurious option that puts comfort first. It’s our pick for the best luxury hybrid mattress for side sleepers in Canada. This mattress is made with high-quality materials, including two layers of pocket coils, to reduce strain and provide optimal relief for side sleepers.
If you often suffer from back pain or discomfort, the Endy Hybrid Mattress can help. This zoned hybrid mattress features the plush pressure relief you need, as well as the support to keep you comfortable throughout the night. You’ll wake up ready to take on your day.
If you sleep with a partner or active pet, consider the Octave Mirage Mattress. This mattress is wonderful for any side sleeper who tends to get woken up by a restless co-sleeper, as it has excellent motion isolation properties.
If you want an all-foam mattress, consider the Douglas Summit Mattress. This option helps fix well-known issues with traditional memory foam mattresses, including better temperature control and support. It uses eco-conscious foams to ease your mind, too.
The Endy Mattress is well-known for its motion isolation features, which can help you get the sleep you need even when your partner is restless. The Endy Mattress offers exceptional pressure relief and alignment for side sleepers, too.
A hybrid mattress can provide unparalleled support, especially with higher-quality coils. The Brunswick Spring Mattress uses high-quality coils, a comfortable Euro-Top, and eco-conscious materials to create a mattress you’ll love sleeping on.
The Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress is one of the best cooling mattresses for side sleepers in Canada. This option features multiple layers of temperature-regulating materials, so even the hottest sleepers won’t wake up sweaty.
For a different experience, the Polysleep Origin Mattress might be perfect for you. This mattress features unique viscoelastic ‘hybrid’ foam, which is responsive, durable, and overall more supportive than standard memory foam.
Canadians who sleep near the edge of the bed often struggle with sinking, sagging and slippage. But the Noa Hybrid Mattress combats this, allowing side sleepers who rest near the edge to stay supported and comfortable.
Best Overall Canadian Side Sleeper Mattress
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is the best mattress for Canadian side sleepers in 2023. This mattress has it all, from outstanding pressure relief and universal firmness to extra lumbar and edge support. This mattress also features strong temperature control, making it a great option for those who sleep hot. Because of these features, it’s one of the best options for most Canadians who sleep on their sides.
This mattress features an antimicrobial cover, which helps prevent bacteria growth entirely. This means your bed will stay fresh and clean for longer, as bacteria causes most odours and staining to the top of the mattress. Immediately below the cover is the first layer of quilted cooling foam. This foam is infused with cooling gel to help disperse heat, which is ideal for those who sleep a little warmer at night.
The middle layer of high-density foam is perfect for relieving pressure. This foam is more durable than standard memory foam, meaning it won’t compress as easily under your body. It springs back quickly, so you can turn over without sinking into your previous indents. This layer also helps reduce motion transfer, so you won’t feel anything when your partner tosses and turns on the other side of the mattress.
The pocket coil base features individually pocketed coils to create better support than foam alone. This layer uses up to 1,200 pocket coils at the largest size, which are arranged in comfort zones. Softer coils under your shoulders and knees help prevent pressure points, while the stronger coils in the middle of the mattress give you exceptional support where you need it most. The coil layer is surrounded by firm foam, which helps bolster the edges. While most foam mattresses sink at the edges, the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress won’t collapse if you sit or sleep near the edge.
- High-Density Memory Foam. Many of the layers used in the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress use high-density memory foam. This foam is more durable and comfortable than standard memory foam.
- Zoned Lumbar Support. The supportive coil layer used in this mattress uses zoned pocket coils. This means the coils in the centre of the mattress are firmer, while the coils under your shoulders are softer and more comfortable.
- Firm Edge Support. A perimeter of edge support foam helps prevent collapse at the edges of the mattress. When you sit or sleep near the edge, they won’t sink under your weight.
- Transparent Sources. Silk & Snow is always transparent about the sources for their materials, and that mattress is no exception. You can trace all of the materials used in this mattress to Canadian manufacturers.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress offers the best of pressure relief, lumbar support, and firm edge support at a lower cost than many other mattresses. No matter how you sleep, you can enjoy the way this mattress feels.”
Best Luxury Hybrid Mattress for Side Sleepers
The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress
It's Great For
The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress is a luxurious option that offers a better feel for side sleepers than most standard mattresses on the Canadian market. This mattress has eco-conscious foam layers, two separate coil layers, and a Euro-Top for extra comfort. You’ll find that this mattress features better motion isolation, pressure relief, and support than other mattresses you may have tried in the past.
This plush mattress is medium-firm in feel, which is ideal for most side sleepers. It offers immediate pressure relief, which can reduce uncomfortable pressure points throughout the mattress and lead to better sleep overall. If you are tired of waking up uncomfortable, this might be the mattress for you. It starts with a Euro-Top cover, which is a pillowy surface that is immediately plush and comfortable to the touch. This layer features a cover woven with CryoFusion cooling nanofibres, as well as hollow-fibre fill and gel-infused foam. These layers are quilted together to provide additional softness.
The layer below the Euro-Top is made with ecoLuxe Cooling Gel foam, which helps reduce pressure at your joints and throughout your body. It helps provide better balance while it reduces heat build-up throughout the night. This means you’ll have a better time on this mattress if you usually sleep hot throughout the night. The first coil layer features Aeroduct Micro coils, which help circulate air through the mattress. These coils also contour to your body, creating better centralized support for those who need it most.
The transition layer between the two coil layers is made of Elastex foam. It mimics the qualities of natural latex without the chemicals that usually trigger latex allergies. Instead of being made with natural latex, it uses a soy-infused construction to help add extra responsiveness and pressure relief for your body.
Finally, the core coil layer features pocketed coils and five different comfort zones. These zones are designed to provide what each part of your body needs, from firmer support through your back and hips to softer cushioning under your shoulders. If you sit or sleep near the edge of the bed, a perimeter of extra firm coils helps reduce compression and sliding there. You’ll get the same support from one edge to the other, so you’ll be comfortable no matter where you sleep.
- Up to 2,930 Coils. Between the dual coil layers, this mattress uses up to 2,920 coils depending on the size. This gives you the best support possible.
- 5-Zone Coil Layer. The second coil layer features five different comfort zones, including a firmer lumbar zone and strong edge support coils for those who sleep near the edge.
- Euro-Top Cover. This Euro-Top mattress use s cover woven with CryoFusion cooling nanofibres, which helps regulate temperature so you don’t overheat.
- Eco-Conscious Foams. Layers of EcoLuxe and Elastex foams use fewer chemicals and soy to create a mattress that is comfortable for those with allergies, or those concerned about the environment.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress is a luxurious choice for those who often struggle to get a good night of sleep. Side sleepers will appreciate the zoned support and comfortable Euro-top cover.”
Best Canadian Side Sleeper Mattress for Pressure Relief
Endy Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For
The Endy Hybrid Mattress is one of the best options for pressure relief in Canada. It’s also a great mattress for those who suffer with back pain. This mattress features the plush comfort that side sleepers need to avoid pressure points, but it also maintains perfect support right where you need it. The zoned coil layer is firmer across your lower back and hips, as well as on the edges of the mattress. Where some foam mattresses slide or sink at the edges, the Endy Hybrid offers the same level of support throughout.
The cover of this mattress is extremely plush and lined with foam. The foam is quilted right into the cover itself, providing an extra plush feel for those who need a bit of extra pressure relief to fall asleep. Right below the plush cover is the first layer of foam. Endy’s Comfort Foam is a proprietary blend that is extremely responsive and made with an open-cell construction. The open cells improve airflow and motion isolation, so you won’t feel your partner moving on the other side of the bed. This layer is also extremely helpful if you sleep warm, as it can help you stay cooler.
A layer of transition foam cushions your deepest pressure points, reducing discomfort throughout the mattress. This layer also helps remove motion from the sleep environment, so you can stay asleep even if your partner is tossing and turning. While this transition layer serves these purposes, it also helps cushion the coil layer below, removing strain and pressure from the pocket coils.
The coil layer itself is zoned. Each individually-wrapped coil is made from high-carbon steel, making them extremely durable and quiet enough that you won’t hear them when you turn over in the middle of the night. Firm coils across the centre of the mattress and across the edges provide a better feel overall, especially for those who usually suffer from back pain and strain while they sleep.
Finally, the Endy Hybrid has a rare second support layer. A thin layer of high-density support foam helps the mattress maintain its shape but also reduces sagging and loss of support over time. This means you can enjoy your Endy Hybrid mattress for years to come without worrying about the mattress’s structural integrity.
- Endy Comfort Foam. Endy’s proprietary Comfort Foam has an open-cell construction for better airflow, motion isolation, and better pressure relief overall.
- Additional Support Foam Layer. This hybrid mattress has a coil layer, but it also features an additional support foam layer to help the mattress maintain shape and durability over time.
- Zoned Coil Layer. The coil layer is zoned for comfort, with firmer coils around the edges and through the middle so you get support where you need it most.
- Zero Motion Transfer. Like the original Endy mattress, the Endy Hybrid isolates motion as it happens so you won’t wake up when your partner tosses and turns.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Endy Hybrid creates the perfect environment for those who need extra support, particularly those who suffer from back pain and pressure points throughout the night.”
Best Canadian Side Sleeper Mattress for Co-Sleepers
Octave Mirage Mattress
It's Great For
The Octave Mirage is great for Canadians seeking an all-foam mattress and a wonderful pick for those who co-sleep. The Octave Mirage is a perfect choice for any side sleeper who tends to sleep hot, needs moderate pressure relief and requires excellent motion isolation from their mattress.
The cover of the Octave Mirage is made from a cooling fabric that wicks away sweat and moisture. With a blend of CryoFusion nanofibres, even the warmest sleepers will be comfortable. Accidental spills and dirt are a breeze to clean with the removable and washable cover. Underneath, a layer of 2” thick memory foam reduces temperatures with its blend of copper threading and PolarMAX phase change material.
At the core of the Octave Mirage are two different foam layers designed to keep you cool and supported. First, a layer of 1.5” Aerated Latex Foam, made from a blend of synthetic and real latex, works to promote healthy and free-flowing air while lowering body temperatures. Then, a 2” layer of Elastex foam supports and cradles aching joints and pressure points. Perfect for side sleepers, this mattress does a great job of being slightly bouncy without leaving you feeling stuck in your mattress.
The foundation of the Octave Mirage is a 7” thick layer of high-density memory foam. This unique layer has built-in air channels for increased airflow. For couples and co-sleepers, this base stops motion from being transferred and felt, no matter how active and restless your partner or pet may be. Undisturbed sleep is possible for co-sleepers, which can be tricky with some other mattresses on the market. Those needing additional pressure relief will find the zoned support system superior.
The Octave Mirage is a great mattress for any side sleeper and, especially, those who co-sleep with restless partners. With a lengthy 365-night sleep trial and a 15-year warranty, Octave stands behind its mattresses with confidence.
- Cooling Cover. This removable and washable cover is infused with CryoFusion Nanofibres that reduce heat and wick away moisture.
- Aerated Latex. Promoting healthy airflow and lower body temperatures, this unique blend of synthetic and natural latex is responsive and bouncy.
- PolarMAX Change Material. The memory foam used in the Octave Mirage is infused with copper and PolarMAX Phase change material for a cool and comfortable night’s sleep.
- High-Density Foam Base. The foundation of the mattress is firm and supportive, meant to last for many years. With built-in air channels and unique construction, co-sleepers will find that motion transfer from restless partners is stopped.
Our Expert’s Take
“If you sleep with a partner or pet, the Octave Mirage Mattress is a great choice so you can sleep peacefully. Those who sleep warm will love the cooling properties as well.”
Best Canadian All Foam Side Sleeper Mattress
The Douglas Summit Mattress
It's Great For
The Douglas Summit Mattress is an excellent choice for those who have had issues with memory foam mattresses in the past. This mattress fixes every issue that memory foam is known for, including the sinking, ‘stuck in’ feeling of memory foam and excess temperature build-up. The Douglas Mattress is responsive and reduces heat throughout the night using layers of cooling materials. No matter how you feel about all-foam mattresses, this option might change your mind.
The cover on this mattress is washable and sustainable. It uses Infinitex fibres to wick away heat and moisture throughout the night to prevent overheating. When you need to wash your sheets, you can unzip the mattress cover and wash it as well. This ensures that your mattress stays fresh and clean.
The first layer of foam is luxury ecoLight, a cooling foam that is made with 40% less carbon than standard memory foam. This layer feels just like a high-density foam, meaning it’s more durable and responsive than a standard-density foam. Overall, this layer helps neutralize heat while keeping you comfortable and relieving pressure points. The second layer of foam is made with Elastex, a synthetic latex alternative. This layer provides additional support and responsiveness, but also won’t trigger latex allergies.
Finally, the support layer features 7” of motion isolation support foam. This layer helps keep your body balanced, aligning your spine and reducing the transfer of motion from the other side of the bed. If you often wake up because your partner is restless, this mattress can help you stay asleep longer. You won’t feel anything when they move around throughout the night.
- Eco-Conscious Foams. This mattress uses two layers of eco-conscious foams, including ecoLight (made with 40% less carbon than standard memory foam) and Elatex, a synthetic latex that won’t trigger latex allergies.
- Perfect Firmness. The Douglas Summit Mattress is a perfect medium-firm when it comes to feel, making it ideal for side sleepers. If your partner has different preferences, this mattress will appeal to them, too.
- Cooling Cover. The CoolSense cover on this mattress uses Infinitex fibres to reduce heat build-up and wick away moisture and heat.
- Machine Washable Cover. When it’s time to refresh the rest of your bedding, you can zip off the cover of the Douglas Mattress and easily wash it at home.
Our Expert’s Take
“No matter what sleep problems you’ve had with other mattresses, the Douglas Summit Mattress has a solution for you. You’ll have a full year to try it out, so you can easily see if it works for you.”
Best Canadian Motion Isolation Side Sleeper Mattress
The Endy Mattress
It's Great For
If your partner is often restless, you may find yourself waking up more often throughout the night. This means you won’t get the same quality sleep you would if you slept through the night. For some, this is the biggest issue they have with their mattress. If this sounds like you, the Endy Mattress may be the perfect choice. This mattress uses open-cell foam and proprietary blends to create a mattress that is great at isolating motion, so you won’t feel anything from the other side of the bed.
This Canadian-made mattress features three layers of responsive, support foam. These layers work together to provide excellent support and pressure relief throughout. Each layer of foam in this mattress is temperature-neutral, too. While traditional memory foam can feel different based on the ambient temperature, this foam will feel the same throughout the year. It won’t feel firmer when it’s cold out or softer in the heat.
The micro-quilted cover is made with an extremely breathable, stretchy material. It’s soft and comfortable to the touch, and you can zip it off easily to wash it with the rest of your laundry at home. Beneath is the first layer of foam, which is made with Endy’s proprietary Comfort Foam. This is a breathable foam that allows for better airflow, so you won’t overheat throughout the night. It’s also an extremely responsive foam that helps cradle your body while keeping you supported out of the mattress.
The layer of transition foam in the middle of the mattress is where most of the motion isolation happens. This open-cell foam offers deeper pressure relief, but it also stops motion as soon as the excess motion happens. You won’t wake up even when your partner is restless. Finally, the high-density support foam layer is durable and offers perfect alignment and support for side sleepers. The Endy mattress is compatible with box spring foundations, slatted frames, and adjustable beds.
- Temperature-Neutral Foam. All layers of foam in the Endy Mattress are temperature-neutral, meaning they won’t feel differently based on the ambient temperature. No matter what time of year, your mattress will feel the same.
- Superior Motion Transfer. Endy’s proprietary open-cell foams help eliminate motion transfer, so you won’t feel any motion from the other side of the bed. If you sleep light, you’ll stay asleep even if your partner is restless.
- Compatible with Adjustable Beds. This all-foam mattress is compatible with adjustable bed frames, which allow you to adjust to find the perfect comfort level. Some side sleepers enjoy adjustable beds, which makes this mattress an excellent option.
- Proprietary Endy Comfort Foam. A layer of proprietary Endy Comfort Foam adds additional responsiveness and breathability. This foam feels better than traditional memory foam, as it addresses both the sinking feeling and temperature build-up.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Endy mattress is a great all-foam choice for light sleepers, particularly those with restless partners. You won’t feel your partner moving on the other side of the bed, so you’ll stay asleep longer.”
Best Canadian Hybrid Side Sleeper Mattress
The Brunswick Spring Mattress
It's Great For
When it comes to hybrid mattresses, few can outpace the Brunswick Spring Mattress. The zoned pocket coil layer offers outstanding support and relief, making it one of the best options for those who sleep on their sides. With better edge support than most mattresses on the Canadian market and soy-infused eco-foam, this mattress ticks a lot of the boxes many Canadians look for in a comfortable, supportive mattress.
The Brunswick Spring mattress starts with a quilted cover, which is made with Canadian-grown hemp. This means the cover is strong, efficient, and more eco-conscious than some of the other covers you’ll find on the market. This cover gives way to a comfortable Euro-top section, which features two layers of fill and foam. A layer of lightweight Euro-top fill helps provide immediate comfort, reducing strain and creating a comfortably plush surface. Directly below is a thin layer of gel memory foam, which can reduce heat and disperse it throughout the mattress. Instead of heat gathering below you as you sleep, it is dispersed throughout the layers.
A second, larger layer of cooling gel foam is next. This layer provides excellent pressure relief as it keeps you cool, removing extra heat from the core of the mattress. This means you can sleep more comfortably overall, even if you usually sleep hot. The next layer is soy-infused eco-foam, a high-density foam that is great at aligning your spine and keeping you elevated out of the support layers below.
The zoned pocket coil layer below is firmer across the middle, providing the support that side sleepers need around their lower backs and hips. If you struggle to get comfortable throughout the night, this layer can help reduce strain and discomfort. Softer coils around your shoulders and knees prevent uncomfortable pressure points, too. Surrounding the coil layer is an encasement of edge support foam, which bolsters the edges of the mattress and prevents them from collapsing under your weight. No matter where you sleep on the mattress, you’ll get the same great level of support.
- Soy-Infused Foam. Soy-infused foam and an eco-conscious cover make the Brunswick Spring Mattress ideal for those who are concerned about the environment.
- Comfortable Euro-Top. The attached Euro-Top is both breathable and comfortable. The immediate pressure relief and comfort you can sink into makes it an ideal option for Canadians who sleep on their sides.
- Zoned Pocket Coils. The pocket coil layer is zoned, with firmer coils in the middle for critical back and hip support. Side sleepers will love the way this mattress boosts them.
- Oustanding Edge Support. An encasement of edge support foam bolsters the edges of the mattress, making it more comfortable for those who sleep near the edge.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Brunswick Spring Mattress offers firm support and a plush Euro-top, the perfect combination for side sleepers. You’ll get the support and pressure relief that you need.”
Best Canadian Cooling Side Sleeper Mattress
The Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For
The Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress is one of the best cooling mattresses for side sleepers in Canada. This option uses several cooling features to reduce heat, wick away sweat and moisture, and keep you comfortable throughout the night. Most of the temperature control features are located within the soft pillow-top section, which is soft and comfortable. This layer is also responsive enough to keep you from feeling stuck in the mattress as well.
This pillow top uses a phase-changing material cover. The phase-changing technology activates once the mattress reaches a certain temperature. Once it reaches a comfortable upper temperature, the cover moves heat down through the infused foam layers. The first is a gel-infused foam, which uses visco microbubbles to trap heat and move it away from your body. This layer helps neutralize some of the excess heat, venting the rest down to the layer of graphite-infused foam below.
This graphite foam helps wick away sweat and heat, moving it all downwards to the pillow-top separator. This foam layer offers a vented surface to remove heat from the foam layers, providing a cooler sleep for all those who sleep hot. Under the separator is the core of the mattress, which offers temperature relief in the form of breathable pocket coils.
The first layer in the core of the mattress is a responsive transition foam, which reduces motion transfer from your restless partner. The core of the mattress features zoned pocket coils. They are breathable and help contour your body for better support where you need it. Firmer coils through the centre of the mattress offer stronger support, while softer coils under your shoulders reduce pressure points.
Finally, the coil layer is surrounded by a perimeter of edge support foam. Sitting on the edge of the bed in the morning is more comfortable with this supportive layer. This firm foam prevents sinking or sagging at the edges of the mattress, so you can stay comfortable even as you are getting out of bed.
- Cool Pillow-Top. The top of this mattress is a separate pillow-top section, which uses three layers of cooling materials to reduce heat throughout the mattress. Two layers of infused foams and a phase-changing cover help you stay comfortable.
- Softer Sleep. The soft pillow-top section is a good fit for those who need a softer sleeping surface. It’s especially important for Canadians who don’t want to sacrifice support for a softer sleep overall.
- Strong Lumbar Support. The Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress is responsive. This property pairs well with the zoned support foam to reduce discomfort for your lower back.
- Better Alignment. The Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress is one of the best mattresses for side sleepers that need better alignment. The supportive core is supportive right where you need it, reducing strain and discomfort.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Hush Arctic Luxe is a cooler option than most of the other mattresses on our list. Layers of infused foams, phase-changing materials, and breathable coils reduce temperature throughout the mattress.”
Best Canadian Side Sleeper Mattress with Proprietary Foams
The Polysleep Origin Mattress
It's Great For
Polysleep’s Origin Mattress is one of the most unique options in Canada. This mattress for side sleepers provides a unique experience thanks to the use of antimicrobial viscoelastic foam. This ‘hybrid’ foam is more durable than traditional memory foam, and it won’t leave indents no matter how you sleep. It’s also a cooler mattress overall, and you’ll sleep a little easier if you have allergies due to the hypoallergenic nature of the foam.
There are three layers of foam inside the removable, water-resistant cover. This cover is soft and comfortable. It’s completely resistant to any water damage, and can easily be washed when there are spills to prevent staining and odours. It’s easy to remove the cover and just as easy to put it back on.
Underneath is a top layer of antimicrobial foam. This foam helps relieve pressure and promotes better responsiveness. You won’t sink in as you would with traditional memory foam, making it an ideal option for those who move around a lot during the night. Even if you stay in sone spot, this layer won’t lead to uncomfortable pressure points.
The middle layer of transition foam helps stop motion in its tracks. This layer helps to isolate motion as well as vibration, making it easier to sleep if your partner is restless on the other side of the mattress. If you’re tired of waking up when your partner tosses and turns, this mattress can help. This layer is also supportive and comforting, reducing pressure points and balancing your body.
The supportive foam base uses open-cell foam for better reinforcement than traditional memory foam. This layer promotes the durability of the mattress and helps you stay comfortable throughout the night. No matter how you sleep, you’ll be able to get comfortable on the unique Polysleep Origin Mattress.
- Viscoelastic Foam Construction. Polysleep’s proprietary viscoelastic foam helps reduce heat, providing a cooler and more responsive surface than traditional memory foam.
- Antimicrobial Foams. All of the foams used in this mattress are completely antimicrobial and hypoallergenic. This prevents the growth of bacteria and reduces allergens, so those who struggle with allergies can rest easy.
- Water-Resistant Cover. The cover of the Polysleep Origin Mattress is completely water resistant. If there is a spill or an accident, you can simply remove the cover and wash it with the rest of your bedding.
- Better Motion Isolation. The foam layers in the middle of this mattress help isolate motion and prevent vibration from travelling across the bed. If you sleep light, you won’t wake up when your partner tosses and turns.
Our Expert’s Take
“If you want a unique mattress, there are few better than the Polysleep Orign Mattress. Layers of proprietary viscoelastic foams help keep you cool and well-supported throughout the night.”
Best Canadian Side Sleeper Mattress for Edge Sleepers
The Noa Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For
Canadians side-sleepers who favour the edge of the bed will love the Noa Mattress, a unique hybrid mattress designed with support and comfort in mind. With superior edge support, great colling properties and pressure relief, the Noa Mattress is a great option for many Canadians.
Made from a breathable Tencel fabric, the cover of the Noa Mattress is both hypoallergenic and antibacterial. Those with seasonal or dust allergies will love the cleanliness this mattress offers. The cover is quilted and wraps each layer of the pillowtop in a cushioning softness.
The plush and soft pillow top is made of three different foam layers. The first layer is created from open-cell latex, which cools and regulates body temperature. This layer helps give the mattress a slight bounce and is incredibly responsive without a sinking feeling. Next, a layer of cooling gel foam further reduces heat and moisture, while those with joint pain or pressure points get relief. Last, a layer of transition foam helps to stop motion transfer between restless co-sleepers for undisturbed and peaceful sleep.
Under the pillow top layer, the foundation of the Noa Mattress is made from a thick layer of individual pocket springs. Each spring is individually wrapped in a breathable mesh fabric, which is designed to promote healthy airflow and increased coolness. These springs help by keeping the mattress bouncy, supportive and comfortable without breaking down as quickly as all-foam mattresses.
Edge sleepers will find the Noa Hybrid to keep its shape and firmness, even with repeated sleeping and sitting. Unlike foam mattresses, which can break down along the edge over time, this mattress features a layer of high-density foam that surrounds the coils and edge perimeter for superior support.
The Noa Hybrid Mattress is a great option for any side sleeper who also happens to sleep close to the edge of the bed. This option has a fairly standard sleep trial length of 120 nights and a longer-than-average warranty of 15 years.
- Tencel Cover. This breathable cover is naturally hypoallergenic and made of cooling Tencel. Both soft and temperature-reducing, this quilted cover is extremely comfortable.
- Plush Pillow Top. Made from three separate foam layers, the pillow top is plush without trapping you in the mattress. Featuring latex foam for bounce, cooling gel for heat reduction and transition foam for co-sleeping, this mattress has a lot to offer.
- Coil Hybrid Base. Made of individually wrapped pocket coils, this foundation is breathable and quiet while lasting longer than most all-foam mattresses on the market.
- Edge Support. Canadians who sleep on the edge of the bed will love the reinforced high-density memory foam perimeter, ensuring no sinking and sagging along the edge.
Our Expert’s Take
“Our testers loved the cooling pillow top and pressure relief measures. Those who slept on the edge of the bed found it held up and was supportive over time.”
Comparing the Best Side Sleeper Mattresses for Canadians
|Best Overall||Silk & Snow Hybrid||Medium-Firm (6.5)||100 Nights||Hybrid||$725 – $1,000|
|Best Luxury Hybrid||Logan & Cove Frontier||Medium-Firm (6.5)||365 Nights||Hybrid||$999 – $1,499|
|Best Pressure Relief||Endy Hybrid||Medium-Firm (6)||100 Nights||Hybrid||$950 – $1,450|
|Best for Co-Sleepers||Octave Mirage||Medium-Firm (6.5)||365 Nights||All Foam||$1,199 – $1,699|
|Best All Foam||Douglas Summit||Medium-Firm (6.5)||365 Nights||All Foam||$999 – $1,399|
|Best Motion Isolation||Endy||Medium (5.5)||100 Nights||All Foam||$675 – $995|
|Best Hybrid||Brunswick||Medium-Firm (6)||120 Nights||Hybrid||$799 – $1,199|
|Best Cooling||Hush Arctic Luxe||Medium-Firm (7)||100 Nights||Hybrid||$1,395 – $2,195|
|Best Proprietary Foams||Polysleep Origin||Medium-Firm (6.5)||100 Nights||All Foam||$845 – $1,295|
|Best for Edge Sleepers||Noa||Medium-Firm (7)||120 Nights||Hybrid||$999 – $1,299|
How We Tested the Best Side Sleeper Mattresses in Canada
Our dedicated team of unbiased testers and mattress reviewers work together to give you the best options for most Canadians. We spend weeks evaluating every aspect of the mattresses available on the Canadian market. We compare notes, categorize them, and figure out which ones are best. Years of experience tell us which mattresses work best for most Canadians, how each one stacks up, and how we should assign testers. Among other features, we looked at these performance features:
- Pressure Relief: Pressure relief is the most important performance area for side sleepers. We looked at pressure maps and took tester feedback on how each mattress felt after extended use, especially when it came to pressure points.
- Motion Isolation: Each mattress was rated on how motion transferred from one side to the other. We used a glass of water to gauge how much movement transferred during normal tossing, turning, and getting up and down.
- Temperature Control: A lot of Canadians generate heat when they sleep. Memory foam mattresses can cause heat to build up under you as you sleep, which can cause you to overheat quickly. We tested how these mattresses controlled temperature, especially when they contained temperature control features like gel foam and perforated foam.
- Edge Support: Some foam mattresses can sag when you sit near the edge of the bed. You often feel sliding or a lack of support when you rest near the edge. A mattress with great edge support will eliminate this problem, making it feel the same no matter where you sleep.
Features Canadian Side Sleepers Should Look For
Each sleeping position requires different things from a mattress. As we looked for the best mattress for side sleepers in Canada, we had to take into account what features side sleepers preferred, and which ones helped them sleep most comfortably. From our research and evaluation, we found that side sleepers need the following conditions to sleep well:
Pressure relief: Pressure relief was the biggest need for side sleepers. Hips and shoulders can often become uncomfortable when you sleep on your side, forming painful pressure points that can impact the way you sleep. However, mattresses with better pressure relief such as those for back pain are more comfortable for side sleepers, especially after extended periods.
Spine alignment: It can be extremely uncomfortable to sleep on your side when a mattress doesn’t offer adequate support. The mattress might leave your spine curved or dipping near your tailbone, so you may wake up uncomfortable and stiff. Spinal alignment usually comes with better support, meaning your hips are adequately raised so that your spine creates a straight line from your neck.
Hip and back support: Your hips and back are going to sink into the mattress most, as they are the heaviest parts of any side sleeper. A mattress that works well for side sleepers needs to adequately support these areas for maximum comfort. If your mattress doesn’t support your hips and back, it can be difficult to get comfortable. You may become restless and sore during the night.
Cushioned shoulder support: In addition to hip support, your shoulders need cushioning when you sleep on your side. It can be challenging to find a mattress that’s both supportive around the hips and soft around the shoulders, but it’s the ideal configuration for side sleepers.
It’s important to look for mattresses with these features, but you should also consider your personal mattress preferences. Choosing an option that feels comfortable for you is most important, even if the mattress lacks some of these features.
How to Choose a Side Sleeper Mattress in Canada
With all of these things in mind, it’s time to examine how you should choose a mattress. While most of the mattresses on our list fit the parameters listed above, there are other factors you should consider when purchasing a mattress. Understanding these basics can help you figure out which mattress is best for you.
Type of Mattress
Side sleepers can benefit from just about any type of mattress. There are a few different types of mattresses available on the Canadian market, but these are the two types that are featured most prominently on our list.
All-foam mattresses feature layers of memory foam, latex foam, and polyfoam to create a comforting, contouring sleep surface. These mattresses are made of different foam densities and blends to create the best possible mattress.
- Memory foam reacts to your body heat. It becomes softer with heat, so it will sink to form a unique surface for each person. Memory foam can feel like quicksand, and it can also allow heat to build up. However, personal contouring greatly reduces pressure.
- Latex also contours your body. It doesn’t sink nearly as much as memory foam. Instead, it provides a responsive surface that still gives your pressure points relief. Organic and latex mattresses are known for their responsiveness.
Hybrid mattresses use a combination of foam layers and springs. Unlike traditional innerspring mattresses, coils in hybrid mattresses are individually pocketed. They allow for better motion isolation and temperature control due to increased airflow. Hybrid mattresses may offer better support than some foam mattresses but sometimes offer decreased pressure relief.
You should choose the mattress type that works best for you. Any of these mattress types can be great for side sleepers, but they each feel different. Make sure to keep your preferences in mind while you shop.
Firmness determines how much support a mattress can offer. Each person has a firmness they prefer, and it’s an extremely personal decision. While most side sleepers prefer a medium mattress, others may prefer a firmer or softer mattress. Aside from your sleeping position, your body type can also determine which firmness you might prefer.
- Soft mattresses in Canada are best for lighter sleepers (under 130 pounds). Stomach sleepers may prefer softer mattresses.
- Medium mattresses in Canada are best for regular sleepers (between 130 and 230 pounds). Side sleepers may prefer a medium mattress.
- Firm mattresses in Canada are best for heavier sleepers (over 230 pounds). Back sleepers may prefer a firmer mattress.
These guidelines can give you a place to start, but your personal preferences should ultimately decide which firmness you choose. Make sure to try out different firmness options, as well as considering your current mattress and what you want to improve on.
We evaluate each mattress based on the following performance areas. When you are purchasing a mattress, you should look at how each mattress handles the following features.
During the warmer summer months, some Canadians wake up sweaty and uncomfortable. Mattresses can make this problem worse, and memory foam mattresses are notoriously good at holding on to body heat. A memory foam mattress can make you overheat more often than other types, so it’s important to look for one that has temperature control features.
These features can vary by mattress. Most commonly, you’ll find gel memory foam layers, which help isolate and remove heat as you sleep. Perforated foams, phase-changing materials, open-cell foams, and latex are all great ways to remove the overheating factor. If you sleep very warmly, make sure to look for mattresses that stack these features.
Innerspring mattresses were notorious for transferring motion. If your partner moved at all during the night, you felt it on your side of the bed. Thankfully, memory foam and hybrid mattresses help reduce motion transfer, isolating motion to the area where it happens. With a foam mattress, you’re unlikely to feel your partner’s every movement. Hybrid mattresses also go a long way toward helping keep your partner’s movement on his or her side of the bed.
Look for foam mattresses with motion isolation support foam and soft transition layers. Individually pocketed coils and multiple foam layers can help stop motion transfer in hybrid mattresses.
As we mentioned above, pressure relief is extremely important for side sleepers. Look for mattresses with multiple foam layers and better transitions between the coils and the foam layers. It’s important to check for open-cell foams, denser foams, or more supportive foams. All of these options can affect how much pressure a mattress can relieve. You’ll want the most pressure relief possible, especially for the area around your hips and shoulders.
Edge support isn’t unique to side sleepers. Most sleepers who sit or sleep near the edge of the bed can benefit from edge support. Foam mattresses are notoriously slouchy at the edges, creating a slipping or sinking feeling if you sit on the edge of the bed or scoot over too far at night.
A mattress with good edge support may have firmer edge coils or a layer of edge support foam. If you want great support across all areas of the mattress, look for great edge support options.
Purchasing a Side Sleeper Mattress Online in Canada
Purchasing a bed in a box mattress online in Canada can be more difficult than purchasing one in person, but there are several benefits. Frequent sales, lower overhead costs, and free shipping make it easier and cheaper than ever to shop for a mattress in Canada. You don’t have to worry about transporting your new mattress, either – these mattresses are delivered right to your door. However, there are a few new things to consider when purchasing a mattress online.
Sleep Trials and Warranties
Sleep trials allow you to try the mattress for a certain amount of time before deciding to commit to your purchase. Online mattress retailers allow you up to 365 nights after you receive your mattress to decide if it’s for you. The average length of a sleep trial is about 100 nights, and it varies by manufacturer. Most companies require you to try the mattress for at least 30 days before deciding to return it, as this is how long it takes for your body to adjust to a new mattress.
If you find that the mattress isn’t for you during this time, you might be able to get free returns and a full refund of your purchase price.
If you decide to keep your mattress, you’ll have access to that mattress’s warranty. Most foam mattresses are guaranteed for 10 years, but some have longer warranties. Each warranty has different terms, so make sure to read the terms of each warranty carefully before you make a purchase.
Unboxing and Off-Gassing
Unboxing a mattress might seem difficult, but it’s simple. Mattresses ordered online arrive at your front door compressed into a deceptively small box. To unbox the mattress, move the box to the bedroom you want the mattress in. Make sure to have the foundation set up and ready to go.
Remove the mattress carefully from the box, rolling out the tightly compressed mattress onto its foundation. Remember to place the mattress on a compatible foundation. Most slatted, platform and adjustable bed frames should be suitable. Use scissors to cut the plastic wrap surrounding the mattress, being careful not to cut the mattress itself.
Once you begin cutting through the plastic, the mattress will start to expand. Remove the plastic and allow the mattress to rise. It will gradually regain its intended shape and size over about 48 hours. During this time, you shouldn’t sleep on the mattress.
The mattress might also off-gas during this time. Off-gassing is the process of releasing chemical fumes from the manufacturing process. These fumes are harmless, but they may be unpleasant for some. Make sure to set up a fan and ventilate the room properly to fully remove the off-gassing odours. By the time the mattress has regained its shape and size, it should be finished off-gassing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Side sleepers sleep best on mattresses that offer great pressure relief and thick, plush comfort layers. They need enough support to avoid aches, with relief from pressure points. A mattress that provides increased spinal alignment and pressure relief meets all of side sleepers’ needs.
Canadian side sleepers should consider regular maintenance, such as rotating the mattress every few months to avoid uneven wear in the areas supporting the shoulders and hips. Using a mattress protector is also recommended to guard against spills and stains. Finally, adhering to the manufacturer’s care instructions for washing and cleaning ensures that the mattress remains comfortable and supportive for side sleepers over time.
Even though side sleepers prefer a more comfortable mattress with better pressure relief, a mattress that is too soft can lead to improper alignment. This means you’ll be sleeping with your spine at an angle, which can cause back pain. The perfect mattress for side sleepers in Canada helps align your spine, keeping your hips well-supported so you don’t sink too deeply into the mattress.
Side sleepers in Canada should typically avoid mattresses that are too firm or made from materials that don’t provide enough pressure relief. In Canada’s colder regions, materials that retain heat, such as traditional memory foam without cooling technology, might not be suitable. Opt for a mattress with cooling gel-infused memory foam, aerated foam or natural breathable foam such as latex.
Side sleepers often develop pressure points at their shoulders and hips, which are points where their weight is more likely to press into the mattress. To avoid this, choose a mattress with a strong support layer (including zoned support from a hybrid mattress), as well as a mattress that provides exceptional pressure relief and cradling throughout. Make sure to avoid firmer mattresses, as side sleepers are prone to developing pressure points on firmer options.
Side sleepers can benefit most from a hybrid or all-foam mattress. The mattress shouldn’t be too soft or too firm; a mattress that is too soft may result in a lack of alignment and support, while a too-firm mattress can lead to pressure points. A supportive hybrid or memory foam mattress with a medium to medium-firm firmness level is ideal for side sleepers.