Memory foam mattresses can provide outstanding pressure relief and targeted support. While memory foam is known to sleep hot, many mattresses have developed new technologies and features to mitigate heat build-up, so you don’t have to worry about waking up to night sweats. This is one of the features we looked at as we chose the best memory foam mattress in Canada.
Other features we looked for as we evaluated Canadian mattresses included firmness, pressure relief, ease of movement, and more. Each of the mattresses on our list was a standout among other bed in the box memory foam mattresses available for purchase online. Here are the best memory foam mattresses in Canada for 2023.
Our Verdict – What’s the Best Memory Foam Mattress in Canada for 2023?
Our pick for the best memory foam mattress in Canada is the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress. This Canadian hybrid features layers of comfortable, cooling gel foam that can help keep you asleep all night long. The antimicrobial cover is breathable to introduce better airflow, while gel-infused, high-density foams create the top layers of the mattress. The base uses double-tempered pocket coils, which compress individually to give you support exactly where you need it. This mattress has everything you need to sleep better, and you don’t have to sacrifice comfort, support, or cooler temperatures.
Best Memory Foam Mattresses for Canadians – Reviewed and Tested 2023
- Best Overall – Silk & Snow Hybrid
- Best Support – Douglas
- Best Cooling – Octave Horizon
- Best All Foam – Silk & Snow
- Best Luxury Hybrid – Logan & Cove Frontier
- Best Pressure Relief – Endy
- Best Latex – Recore
- Best Motion Isolation – Endy Hybrid
- Best Pillow Top – Hush Arctic Luxe
- Best for Allergies – Polysleep Origin
Why Did We Choose These Memory Foam Mattresses in Canada?
During our evaluation process, the best memory foam mattresses in Canada of 2023 stood out to us in different ways. These unique features and standout performance areas became the reasons these mattresses made our list. Here is how we chose the best memory foam mattresses for you.
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is the best memory foam mattress in Canada. It uses unparalleled support in the form of pocket coils, as well as comforting high-density memory foams. It also features better motion isolating features and cooling measures to reduce temperature throughout the night.
The Douglas Mattress is the best memory foam mattress for Canadians when it comes to support. It offers materials and construction that go above and beyond the other all-foam mattresses on our list. It works to reduce all the complaints that memory foam mattresses usually face.
Many Canadians wake up feeling hot and sweaty due to their mattress retaining heat. With the Octave Horizon Mattress, sleepers will stay cool and comfortable night after night, no matter how hot they naturally sleep.
The Silk & Snow Mattress, on the other hand, is the best all-foam option on our list. This mattress uses layers of high-density foam, strong support, and superior motion isolation. It’s also cooler than some of the other all-foam mattresses we looked at.
The Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress is a luxury hybrid with a ton of features to offer Canadians. Dual coil layers, luxurious materials, and a plush euro-top cover are among the features that help you get the most out of this mattress.
If you need outstanding pressure relief, you should choose the Endy Mattress. While most of the mattresses on this list offer some measure of pressure relief, the Endy Mattress keeps you comfortable no matter how long you sleep in the same position.
The Recore Mattress is a unique option that uses a layer of memory foam and a layer of graphite-infused latex. This mattress is a perfect choice for restorative sleep, especially for active Canadians and athletes.
If your partner is often restless, you need a mattress with better motion isolation. The Endy Hybrid Mattress uses active motion isolation and an open-cell design to stop motion as it happens, so you can sleep comfortably even when your partner is awake.
The Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress is our choice for the best pillow-top mattress in Canada. This option features a separate pillow top section that feels like sleeping on a cloud. You’ll relax easily into sleep with this comfortable mattress.
The Polysleep Origin Mattress features a top layer made with antimicrobial and hypoallergenic foam. That makes it one of the best mattresses for allergies on our list, as it keeps allergy flares from keeping you awake.
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress features one of the most supportive coil bases we found as we evaluated Canadian mattresses. With 1,200 coils zoned for optimal support, this mattress never fails to give you exactly what you need. Edge support, cooling features, and pressure relief are all handled beautifully in the construction of this mattress. That’s why the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is the best memory foam mattress in Canada overall.
The cover of this mattress is Silk & Snow’s signature antimicrobial cover. This cover prevents the growth of bacteria, which reduces odours and staining. Your bed will stay fresh longer with this cover, even if it isn’t washable like some other options. The textile used to create this material is also comfortable and smooth. The first layer of the mattress is a high-quality foam that is quilted directly into the cover. This helps add some plushness to the mattress but also uses quilted channels to reduce heat build-up and promote better airflow throughout.
The middle layer of foam uses high-density, gel-infused memory foam for pressure relief and cooling. This layer mitigates heat and reduces even your deepest pressure points. Even if you sleep in the same position all night long, this thick layer of high-density foam will keep your joints from aching.
Finally, the support base features double-tempered pocket coils, which compress individually to support you exactly where you need. These coils limit motion, but they also help align your body. Firmer coils in the middle of the mattress support your hips and lower back, while softer coils at your knees and shoulders. You won’t develop pressure points in these areas. This mattress also features a strong perimeter of edge support foam, so the edges won’t collapse or sink when you sit or sleep near the edge of the bed.
- Antimicrobial Cover. Like other Silk & Snow Mattresses, this mattress features an antimicrobial cover that helps prevent the growth of bacteria. It’s ideal for those who suffer from allergies or want to keep their bed fresh longer.
- Pocket Coil Base. The zoned pocket coil base of the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress features up to 1,200 coils, which are individually wrapped. They are zoned for better support where you need it most.
- Strong Edge Support. A perimeter of extra firm foam helps bolster the edges of the mattress, so they don’t collapse or sink when you sit on the edge of the mattress.
- Cooling Features. The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress uses gel-infused memory foam and the breathability of coil layers to provide a cooler sleep than most other memory foam mattresses.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress features 1,200 pocket coils, with zoned support for most sleepers. Better cooling, edge support, and pressure relief make this mattress a strong contender for most Canadians.”
The Douglas Mattress
It's Great For
If you want a memory foam mattress that goes above and beyond the other options in Canada, consider the Douglas Mattress. This all-foam mattress uses layers of supportive, eco-conscious foams to help you sleep better, no matter which positions you sleep in. While most mattresses are ideal for a specific sleep position, the Douglas mattress was created specifically to be comfortable for most positions. The medium-firm feel balances support, pressure relief, and motion isolation to keep you comfortable throughout the night. It’s also an affordable option made with high-quality materials.
The Douglas Mattress uses three layers of foam to create its unique feel. These layers are wrapped in a washable CoolSense Cover, which is made with Infinitex fibres. These sustainable fibres help the mattress reduce heat and moisture as you sleep, so you don’t overheat as you sleep. When it’s time to wash your sheets, you can unzip the cover and wash it with the rest of your sheets. Your bed will always stay fresh with this cover.
The first layer of foam inside the mattress is made of ecoLight cooling gel. This foam layer is made with 40% less carbon than standard memory foam, making it a great choice for those who want to reduce their carbon footprint. This layer feels just like high-density memory foam. It is durable, cool, and more responsive than standard memory foam. The second layer is made with premium Elastex, a non-allergenic Latex alternative. Those with latex allergies will be more comfortable on this mattress, as this layer doesn’t contain any of the chemicals found in natural latex mattresses.
These layers work together to create a supportive surface that works well for most Canadians. The final layer is a dense layer of motion isolation support foam. This layer reduces motion transfer, meaning those who toss and turn are less likely to wake their partners. This mattress also features some natural edge support, which means that the edges of the mattress compress less than other memory foam options. You won’t slip off the edge of the bed when you sit or sleep near the edge of the bed.
- CoolSense Cover. The cooling cover on the Douglas Mattress is made with Infinitex fibres, which are made sustainably. This cover is easy to zip off and wash with the rest of your sheets. It helps draws heat and moisture away as you sleep, so you won’t overheat throughout the night.
- Eco-Conscious Foams. Both middle layers of this foam mattress are eco-conscious when compared to standard foams. EcoLight uses 40% less carbon than standard memory foam, while Elastex is a nonallergenic latex alternative.
- Motion Isolation. The core of this mattress helps neutralize motion before it can reach the other side of the bed, so those with restless partners sleep a little better.
- Pressure Relief. The Douglas Mattress uses plush foam layers to support most sleeping positions optimally. It helps relieve pressure throughout your body.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Douglas Mattress improves upon the standard memory foam formula in every possible way. This mattress makes you feel comfortable and well-supported no matter how you sleep.”
Octave Horizon Mattress
It's Great For
Many Canadians find that their mattress retains heat, which leads to them waking up sweaty and overheated. The Octave Horizon is an excellent option for anyone looking for a superior cooling mattress. Whether you naturally sleep hot or live in a warm climate, this mattress will keep you cool and comfortable. It also provides superior motion isolation and pressure relief.
The cooling properties of this mattress start with its unique cover, made from CryoFusion nanofibres. Designed to reduce heat and wick away moisture, the cover is breathable and soft. The cover of the Horizon can be easily zipped off and tossed in the washing machine, which is perfect for those with allergies or for the occasional spill.
For extra temperature regulation, a layer of 2.5” gel foam helps keep sleepers cool with its combination of copper threading and PolarMAX phase change material. This breathable and airy foam adapts to changing positions during the night without the feeling of being trapped in the mattress.
The Octave Horizon features high-quality construction and more layers of foam than many other memory foam mattresses on the market. The core of the mattress has three more foam layers, all designed with comfort, temperature control and support in mind. The first layer is made from 1.5” of aerated latex foam, which gives the Horizon a slight bounce and cushioning feel. Next, a layer of 2” thick ecoLuxe gel foam ensures constant temperature regulation and soothes aching joints and pressure points. Below that, 2” of Elastex foam works to alleviate pressure and helps with ease of movement.
At the base of the Octave Horizon is 6” of thick high-density memory foam designed for long-term durability and support. Those who sleep warm will appreciate the built-in air channels, which prevent the mattress from getting stuffy and hot. This foundational layer is perfect for those who co-sleep with restless partners, as it absorbs motion before it can be transferred. With its five-zoned support system, anyone who suffers from back, hip or shoulder pain will find relief and comfort.
The Octave Horizon is an overall wonderful option for any Canadian who sleeps hot and is looking for a high-quality memory foam mattress. With its top-of-the-line temperature control and pressure relief measures, this mattress is one of the best on the Canadian market. The Octave Horizon is available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King and Split King, making it accessible no matter what bed size you are shopping for.
- Washable Cooling Cover. Made of a breathable, soft fabric infused with cooling CryoFusion Nanofibres, this cover reduces temperatures and wicks away heat and moisture. For an added benefit, it can be removed and machine-washed as often as you would like.
- Aerated Latex Foam. This layer of natural and synthetic blended latex foam ensures easy transitions when changing positions without feeling like you are suffocating in your mattress.
- PolarMAX Foam. This unique layer is made from a combination of copper threading and PolarMAX Phase change material. Together, these materials help keep sleepers extra cool at night while providing superior pressure relief for aching joints.
- ecoLuxe Gel Foam. Whether you sleep hot or live in a warm climate, this layer will have you cool and comfortable night after night with its excellent airflow and cooling gel foam.
Our Expert’s Take
“Canadians seeking an excellent memory foam mattress with superior cooling properties will love the Octave Horizon Mattress. With multiple layers of foam and a unique cover, even the hottest of sleepers will stay comfortable and sweat-free.”
The Silk & Snow Mattress
Best All Foam
It's Great For
The Silk & Snow Mattress is the best all-foam memory foam mattress in Canada. This mattress uses foam layers exclusively to create a comfortable, pressure-relieving surface. Those with allergies will appreciate the hypoallergenic cover, which is completely antimicrobial to prevent the growth of bacteria. This means it stays fresh and odour-free between washes, so your bed is always clean and comfortable. You can wash it when you wash the rest of your bedding so your bed is always clean.
Every part of this mattress is created and assembled entirely in Canada. All of the materials are made domestically where possible, and Silk & Snow is transparent about its sources. If you are concerned about where your mattresses are coming from, this is one of the best options you can choose.
When it comes to the construction of the mattress, Silk & Snow uses layers that complement each other and make you more comfortable overall. The first layer is high-density gel-infused memory foam, which helps relieve pressure and reduces heat build-up. You’ll stay comfortable and cool throughout the night thanks to this durable top layer.
The middle layer of transition foam helps cushion your deepest pressure points and isolates motion as it happens. This layer can reduce anything you feel from the other side of the bed. Even if your partner is tossing and turning, it won’t wake you up. The final layer is a dense, durable layer of memory foam. This layer helps align your spine and keeps you well-supported. At the same time, it helps the mattress retain its shape and feel for years to come.
- Antimicrobial Cover. The cover of the Silk & Snow Mattress is antimicrobial and clean. This cover is machine washable and prevents the growth of bacteria, so it stays fresh for longer.
- Cooling Features. This mattress is extremely breathable, from the comfortable cover to the top layer of cooling and comfortable gel foam. These layers help prevent heat from building up as you sleep.
- Better Motion Isolation. A middle layer of open-cell transition foam helps stop motion in its tracks, so you won’t feel most motion from the other side of the bed.
- High-Density Top Layer. The first layer of foam in this mattress is high-density foam, which is extremely durable and relieves pressure better than standard memory foam.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Silk & Snow Mattress offers superior motion isolation and cooling features. This medium mattress is ideal for Canadians who need a little extra support and comfort throughout the night.”
The Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress
Best Luxury Hybrid
It's Great For
The Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress is a luxury hybrid that goes above and beyond to keep you comfortable. It offers two coil layers, providing a unique design that helps contour to your body, providing the support you need. This mattress is also cool and soft, with a plush, pillowy top that is great for those who need a softer sleeping surface but need strong support from the core of the mattress.
Every part of this mattress is designed for luxurious comfort. The top is an integrated Euro-Top, which is made with CryoFusion cooling nanofibres. This makes the surface of the mattress cool and comfortable. It reduces heat and promotes airflow throughout the mattress, with the help of breathable hollow fibre fill and a layer of quilted gel-infused foam. This layer functions much like a pillow top, providing extra breathability and pressure relief.
The first layer of foam below the Euro-top is made of ecoLuxe, a cooling gel foam. This foam doesn’t use as much carbon during production as traditional memory foam, meaning it’s better for those looking to reduce their carbon footprint. This layer offers cushion and pressure support for all of your problem areas while reducing heat. Next is the first layer of coils. These Aeroduct Micro Coils help produce airflow and contour to your body, reducing pressure and allowing for personalized support.
A layer of transition foam separates the two coil layers. This Elastex foam is a non-allergenic Latex alternative. This soy-infused foam is responsive like latex, offering great cushioning and pressure relief while making it easy to move around. Finally, the support layer features premium pocket coils. These 9” coils are arranged in five zones, with thinner coils under your shoulders and thicker, firmer coils under your hips and lower back. The coils around the edges of the mattress are also firmer, allowing for increased edge support around the mattress.
Overall, this mattress provides great support, a plush and breathable top layer, and all the quality and luxury of a much more expensive option. Between the two coil layers, you’ll find up to 2,920 coils in total. This mattress is ideal for heavy side sleepers, back sleepers, and those who appreciate a softer sleeping surface.
- Euro-Top Cover. The top of this mattress is a Euro-top. This plush top cover includes hollow-fibre fill as well as quilted gel-infused foam for added comfort and cooling.
- Two Coil Layers. This mattress uses two unique coil layers, including a layer of Aeroduct micro-coils for better alignment and support. A base layer of zoned pocket coils offers optimal support.
- Zoned Support. The support layer is zoned, which means that firmer pocket coils support your hips and lumbar. This mattress also uses firmer coils around the edges of the mattress, so you can sit or sleep at the edge without losing support.
- Luxurious Materials. Layers of ecoLuxe, Elastex, and premium support coils combine to create a luxurious mattress through every single layer.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress is made with high-quality materials and presents a comfortable, unparalleled sleep. If you prefer a plush sleeping experience with plenty of support, this mattress will appeal to you.”
The Endy Mattress
Best Pressure Relief
It's Great For
If you want to sleep more comfortably (even when your partner is restless), you should look into the Endy Mattress. This mattress offers better pressure relief than some of the other all-foam mattresses on our list, particularly for those who sleep light or stay in the same position all night long. The open-cell foam construction of this mattress also helps reduce motion transfer and heat build-up, so you won’t overheat as you sleep.
The Endy Mattress is completely latex-free, which means those with latex allergies will be comfortable on this mattress. It uses three layers of comfortable, temperature-neutral foam to produce a medium feel. While standard memory foam gets firmer when it’s cold and softer in the warmer months, the Endy Mattress feels the same throughout the seasons. The foam used in all layers of the mattress won’t fluctuate with the change of temperature, meaning you’ll always get the same comfortable sleep.
First, the mattress is encased in a Micro Quilted cover. This four-way cover is extremely stretchy and breathable. It holds the foam together well and easily zips off when it’s time to wash the rest of your bedding. You can wash the cover in your machine at home without any special care or considerations, as it is a blend of 97% polyester and 3% spandex. When you put it back on your mattress, it will be fresh and new!
Inside is the first layer of Endy’s proprietary Comfort Foam. This open-cell foam is extremely breathable and allows for better airflow and support throughout the mattress. Unlike standard memory foam, the open-cell foam keeps you elevated out of the mattress while forming to your body for optimal support. You won’t feel stuck in the mattress, and you can move easily. The second layer is a softer transition foam, which helps with pressure relief. This layer cushions the firmer support foam and reduces even your deepest pressure points.
The bottom layer of support foam also helps isolate motion, which can reduce any motion from the other side of the bed. This layer keeps your spine aligned and maintains the ideal firmness level for most Canadians.
- Open-Cell Construction. The open-cell construction of the foam in this mattress provides better airflow and motion isolation than standard memory foam.
- Exceptional Pressure Relief. The comfortable layers of this mattress can help you sleep better. The plush foam provides support and pressure relief, so you won’t wake up uncomfortable even if you sleep in the same position all night long.
- Medium Feel. This mattress has a medium feel, which is ideal for those who sleep on their sides. It’s a plush mattress that offers great support and comfort.
- Active Motion Isolation. Those who sleep light will enjoy the active motion isolation here. Those with restless partners won’t wake up when their partner tosses and turns.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Endy Mattress offers exceptional pressure relief, but it also helps prevent motion isolation for couples with restless partners. This medium mattress is great for a wide range of Canadians.”
The Recore Mattress
It's Great For
The Recore Mattress is the ideal companion for active Canadians or athletes. Those who struggle to stay asleep throughout the night and achieve restorative rest will find it extremely comfortable as well. With graphite-infused latex foam and a cooler sleep overall, you’ll love the way this mattress reduces nighttime interruptions so you sleep more soundly. The medium feel of the mattress makes it ideal for side sleepers.
This mattress features three layers of foam wrapped in an antimicrobial, breathable cover. The Recore’s SilverCharged cover is woven with silver thread, which is completely antibacterial and helps the bed remain fresh and cool. This top cover can be removed and washed at home, so you can always keep your bed fresh. The silver threads also act as highways for heat, moving it away from you throughout the night so you can sleep more comfortably overall.
The first layer of foam within the mattress is graphite-infused latex. Graphite helps regulate heat, channelling away excess temperatures so that you won’t wake up with night sweats. If you usually sleep hot, this cooling system can keep you moderately cool throughout the night, giving your body the rest it needs to take on your day. The transition layer is a cooling gel memory foam, which removes all of that excess energy and neutralizes it completely. This layer also cushions your body, aligning your spine and reducing pressure points.
The high-density base foam helps isolate motion throughout the mattress. If you sleep light, you are probably used to waking up when your partner tosses and turns. This layer helps stop motion from transferring to the other side of the bed, so you’ll stay asleep even when your partner is having a bad night. Together, these layers work to reduce higher temperatures, motion, and pressure, so that you stay asleep all night long. When you aren’t waking up every few hours, you can get the rest you need to restore your tired muscles and keep your mind fresh.
- Graphite-Infused Latex. A top layer of graphite-infused latex foam helps regulate heat, reducing the core temperature of your mattress and your body. The graphite helps move higher temperatures away from you throughout the night.
- SilverCharged Antimicrobial Cover. The washable, removable cover of this mattress stays clean and fresh for longer, thanks to the silver-coated, antimicrobial thread that is woven throughout.
- Restorative Sleep. If you need better muscle recovery and better sleep overall, the layers of the Recore mattress can help you wake up ready to take on your day.
- Reduced Heat. Between the SilverCharged cover and the graphite-infused latex top layer, this mattress doesn’t retain heat like most memory foam options. This means you’ll sleep cooler and stay asleep longer.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Recore mattress is ideal for those who need a more restorative sleep. Active Canadians who need to stay asleep all night to restore their muscles will love the way this mattress aims to keep you asleep no matter what.”
Endy Hybrid Mattress
Best Motion Isolation
It's Great For
If your partner often keeps you awake at night, the Endy Hybrid Mattress could be the perfect mattress for you. It features active motion isolation, which helps trap motion and prevent it from transferring to the other side of the mattress. The pocket coils in the zoned coil layer help create better motion isolation, too – they compress individually, so they won’t set motion off across the entire mattress.
The top of the Endy Hybrid Mattress features a plush quilted material, which is lined with foam to promote extra comfort and pressure relief. This top layer feels extremely comfortable to the touch, so you can fall asleep quickly and comfortably. The first layer of foam within the cover is Endy Comfort Foam, a proprietary open-cell memory foam that is extremely cool and responsive. This layer is also great at relieving pressure and providing additional airflow, with each open cell absorbing heat and moving it away from your body.
The middle layer is Endy’s famous motion isolation transition foam. This foam helps eliminate even your deepest, most troublesome pressure points. It also eliminates motion transfer, so your partner’s restless movements won’t come across the mattress to wake you up.
The support layer uses zoned, pocketed coils to create support right where you need it. Firmer, thicker coils in the middle of the mattress support the middle of your body, where most sleepers need additional support. The coils around the perimeter of this layer are firmer as well. This means that the edges of the mattress are well-supported throughout, so you won’t feel like you’re sliding off the mattress when you sit at the edge.
This mattress has an additional layer of foam below the coil base, which provides additional support and structure for the mattress. Few mattresses on the Canadian market use a layer like this, as most stop with the final support layer. This means that the Endy Hybrid mattress will last longer and maintain its shape for years to come.
- Zoned Pocket Coil Layer. The support layer in the Endy Hybrid Mattress uses high-carbon steel to create durable, ergonomic pocket springs. They are zoned for better edge and lumbar support.
- Support Foam Layer. Below the pocket coil layer is an additional layer of high-density foam, which helps keep your mattress supportive for years to come. This unique additional layer is only used in a few mattresses in Canada.
- Compatible with Adjustable Beds. If you have an adjustable bed, the Endy Hybrid mattress can still keep you well-supported and comfortable. It is also compatible with many other bed frames.
- Superior Motion Isolation. Endy mattresses are known for their active motion isolation, and this mattress is no different. With the help of the pocket coils to mitigate more motion transfer, you won’t feel anything from the other side of the bed.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Endy Hybrid is one of the best choices in Canada for those with restless partners. Endy’s notable motion isolation features are on full display in this supportive mattress, so you won’t feel your partner tossing and turning on the other side of the bed.”
Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress
Best Pillow Top
It's Great For
If you need a softer top layer for your mattress without sacrificing support, the Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress might be a great option for you. This mattress uses a plush, separate pillow-top section to relax you to sleep. This top is made of several layers of comfortable materials. The first is a phase-changing cover. The phase-changing materials here only allow you to reach a certain temperature. Once it heats to this temperature, the cover filters away excess heat to help keep you cool.
Under the cover is a layer of cooling gel foam, which helps neutralize even more heat. It doesn’t build up as you sleep, and the gel microbubbles wick away heat and moisture to keep you comfortable. If you sleep extremely hot, you’ll appreciate a third layer of cooling materials. The final layer of foam within the pillow-top section is infused with graphite. This layer absorbs and disperses the remaining heat through the vented pillow-top separator below.
The core of the mattress offers three distinct layers of materials to help support you as you sleep. First, a thin layer of transition foam helps cushion the impact of the coil layer. This helps it provide better support without the discomfort of sleeping directly on springs. This layer also absorbs motion, reducing transfer through the middle of the mattress. If your partner is tossing and turning, you will remain asleep.
Under the transition foam is a layer of 8” pocket coils. These coils are zoned to reduce strain and better balance your body. The firmer coils in the middle of the mattress align your spine, reducing hip discomfort, and offering better low back support. Softer coils throughout your shoulders reduce discomfort and pressure points. Finally, a layer of edge support foam surrounds the coils. This foam helps support the edges of the mattress, reducing sagging or sinking when you sit at the edge of the bed. You will feel well-supported no matter where you are on the mattress thanks to this dense foam perimeter.
- Great Motion Isolation. Each pocket coil in the support layer compresses individually, reducing the motion transfer through this mattress. Layers of foam help reduce motion transfer, so you sleep well even when your partner tosses and turns.
- Zoned Coil Support. The pocket coil support layer uses zoned support, with firmer coils through the centre of the mattress for better hip and lower back support. It’s extremely comfortable for those who need additional lumbar support.
- Edge Support Foam. A perimeter of edge support foam surrounds the coil layer, reducing sagging at the edges of the mattress. Users who sit or sleep near the edge will be more comfortable and remain well-supported.
- Cloud-Like Pillow Top Section. The pillow top section of the Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress is soft and comfortable. It uses phase-changing materials to reduce temperature while it relaxes you to sleep.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Hush Arctic Luxe Mattress is perfect for side and stomach sleepers, couples, and those who need a softer top to fall asleep. The cloud-like pillow-top made this mattress stand out to us.”
Polysleep Origin Mattress
Best for Allergies
It's Great For
The Polysleep Origin Mattress offers an upgraded all-foam experience, with antimicrobial foam, excellent motion transfer, and a cover that is more water-resistant than most on the Canadian market. With its focus on reducing dust, mites, bacteria, and other sleep-related allergens, it’s no surprise that the Polysleep Origin mattress is our best allergy-relief mattress in Canada for 2023.
All layers of foam used in this mattress are a ‘hybrid’ foam. This viscoelastic foam is proprietary to Polysleep mattresses, and it is made differently than other types of memory foam. Throughout the mattress, you will notice that the layers retain their shape better and offer more extensive support than standard memory foam. Together, the layers work to help you move around easily and stay comfortable throughout the night.
The Polysleep Origin’s cover is removable and machine washable, but it’s also completely water-resistant. This means the foam within the mattress is safe from spills and other types of liquid damage. If there is a spill, you can simply remove the cover and throw it into the laundry. It will come out fresh and clean, and your mattress will remain safe. The first layer of foam used within the mattress is an antimicrobial foam top layer. This layer is plush but reinforces the medium-firm feel, adding support as well as pressure relief. This layer will never harbour bacteria or other allergens.
The middle transition layer helps to reduce motion from the other side of the bed. It stops motion as well as vibration, so you are properly supported throughout the mattress. It offers some of the best motion isolation on the Canadian market, so it’s a perfect choice if you sleep light and want to stay asleep when your partner is restless.
Finally, the supportive foam base keeps your spine aligned and provides unparalleled support throughout the rest of the mattress. This open-cell support layer increases airflow but also keeps you cooler throughout the night. The mattress won’t reflect as much body heat because of the way the open cells increase the influx of cooler air.
- Antimicrobial Foam. The top layer of this mattress is made with antimicrobial foam. It’s completely hypoallergenic as well, perfect for those with allergies. It helps remove all bacteria from the mattress, reducing odours.
- Medium Firm Feel. The medium-firm feel of this mattress is ideal for those who sleep on their side or their back. It is supportive without reducing pressure relief.
- CertiPUR-US Certified. All layers of foam used in this mattress are CertiPUR-US certified. This means they are safe for use and don’t contain any harmful chemicals that may cause health issues.
- Better Motion Isolation. Polysleep’s viscoelastic open-cell foams help isolate motion better than some of the other options on the Canadian market, making them perfect for those who want to sleep more soundly.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Polysleep Origin mattress has award-winning features, especially when it comes to those who suffer from allergies. The hypoallergenic top layer will reduce any issues associated with dust and bacteria.”
Comparing the Best Memory Foam Mattresses for Canadians
|Silk & Snow Hybrid||Best Overall||12"||Medium-Firm (6.5)||Hybrid||100 Nights||15 Years|
|Douglas||Best Support||10"||Medium-Firm (6)||All Foam||365 Nights||20 Years|
|Octave Horizon||Best Cooling||14"||Medium-Firm (6.5)||All Foam||365 Nights||15 Years|
|Silk & Snow||Best All Foam||12"||Medium-Firm (7)||All Foam||100 Nights||15 Years|
|Logan & Cove Frontier||Best Luxury Hybrid||13.5"||Medium-Firm (6.5)||Hybrid||365 Nights||15 Years|
|Endy||Best Pressure Relief||10"||Medium-Firm (5.5)||All Foam||100 Nights||15 Years|
|Recore||Best Latex||10.5"||Medium-Firm (5.5)||All Foam||120 Nights||15 Years|
|Endy Hybrid||Best Motion Isolation||13"||Medium-Firm (6)||Hybrid||100 Nights||15 Years|
|Hush Arctic Luxe||Best Pillow Top||13"||Medium-Firm (7)||Hybrid||100 Nights||10 Years|
|Polysleep Origin||Best for Allergies||10"||Medium-Firm (6.5)||All Foam||100 Nights||15 Years|
How We Tested the Best Memory Foam Mattresses in Canada
We take our job seriously. Every mattress on our list was personally tested based on several performance criteria. We’ve measured how these Canadian-made mattresses stack up to each other and the competition. We used expert evaluations, tester feedback, and other performance tests to determine which of the memory foam mattresses featured here were best for you.
As we looked for the best memory foam mattresses in Canada of 2023, we looked the following features:
- Pressure Relief: Memory foam mattresses are great at relieving pressure, but not all are created equally. We used several testers to examine how the pressure relief felt for different body types, sleeping positions, and special circumstances like back pain when sleeping.
- Temperature Control: Those who sleep hot are always looking for great ways to mitigate the heat. We looked at how hot a mattress got after extended use and which features it used to control temperature. Some of our mattresses did well – others were only suitable for those who sleep a bit warm.
- Edge Support: All of us have sat on the edge of a bed at least once. Our diverse team of testers took turns sitting on the edge, laying on the edge, and testing how well it held up to increased weight.
- Motion Isolation: Restless partners can keep us up at night, so determining how much motion transfer a mattress had was important. We used the most reliable test – a glass of water on the other side of the mattress – to see how well it held up while someone turned over on the other side of the mattress.
Choosing the Best Memory Foam Mattress in Canada
A memory foam mattress can help you sleep better, but how do you know which one is right for you? There are a variety of options to consider before you choose the mattress that best meets your needs. Below, we’ll go over some essential basics you should keep in mind before you can purchase a mattress. Keep these things in mind as you shop.
Why Choose Memory Foam?
Why should you go with a memory foam mattress in the first place? You’ll be pleased to know that the popularity of memory foam isn’t a fad. Memory foam keeps you comfortable throughout the night, offering pressure right where it is most needed. It offers personalized support that you won’t find in other types of mattresses.
Here are just some of the benefits of choosing a memory foam mattress.
- Contouring support: Memory foam uses your body heat to contour to your shape, which means support that is customized to your body.
- Great for all sleeping positions: Memory foam mattresses come in a variety of firmness that is ideal for every sleeping position.
- The best motion isolation: Foam mattresses isolate motion better than any other, as it’s difficult for the motion to carry across the foam.
- Best pressure relief: Pressure relief is often customized to your body due to the way that memory foam reacts to your body heat. You will get relief right where it’s needed.
- Hypoallergenic – for the most part: Most foam mattresses are hypoallergenic (unless they include some natural latex or organic layers). This is great for people with allergies!
- Regains its shape quickly: Though memory foam shapes your body, it also rebounds quickly to regain its original shape. It won’t sink in response to your shape, even if you sleep the same way every night.
Memory foam isn’t the right choice for everyone. However, there are many different types of foam and features that you won’t find in other mattresses. There are also different types of memory foam. Some mattress companies use proprietary memory foam blends to produce a mattress that feels unique and has performance features to improve your sleep.
Memory Foam Mattress Basics and Features
When it comes to choosing the best memory foam mattress, you’ll need to look out for a few things. These basics are the most important things to consider about a mattress before you decide to make a purchase.
There are a few different types of memory foam mattresses in Canada, and choosing the right one is important. Keep these options in mind as you shop for a memory foam mattress in Canada.
- All-foam mattresses use all memory or latex foam. There are no coils or springs in the construction of the mattress. These mattresses can be as firm or soft as the manufacturer makes them, though they appeal to sleepers in all positions. Foam mattresses tend to be warm, but cooling measures can work to keep the temperature under control.
- Hybrid mattresses use layers of memory and latex foam over a core of supportive springs. These springs are individually pocketed, and some offer zoned support. If you’re used to the support of an innerspring mattress, this might be a good option for you.
If you want a true memory foam mattress, you should choose an all-foam option. Hybrid mattresses can also include great memory foam layers, but they can often feel different than standard all-foam or memory foam mattresses.
Firmness, Body Type, and Sleeping Position
These three factors work together to create a mattress that you find comfortable. The firmness you prefer is personal, but there are a few factors that can influence which mattress firmness you need. Body type and sleeping position are chief among these factors.
- Soft mattresses are better for those who sleep on their stomachs. Users less than 130 pounds will appreciate these mattresses.
- Medium mattresses are best for side sleepers in Canada and sleepers who weigh between 130 and 230 pounds.
- Firm mattresses are favoured by back sleepers (and sometimes combination sleepers). Sleepers over 230 pounds will be most comfortable on a firm mattress.
These guidelines can help you find a place to start when choosing your ideal firmness. However, you may have different preferences than these guidelines suggest. In that case, you should always choose a mattress based on your preferences rather than these guidelines.
When you have the basics down, try looking for mattresses with these performance qualities. These features can help you sleep better overall, but they can also help address any specific sleep issues you may be having. Make sure to keep these features in mind before you make a decision.
If you’ve ever woken up because your partner was tossing and turning, you might need a mattress with motion isolation. While traditional coil mattresses facilitate the transfer of motion from one side of the mattress to the other, memory foam is better at isolating motion. Most memory foam mattresses will keep you still even when your partner is restless.
Canadians who sleep hot will understand how important temperature control is. Memory foam tends to retain heat because of the way it works. A mattress with temperature control features (such as increased airflow, perforated foams, coils, and gel memory foams) can overcome this shortcoming and keep you cool while you rest.
Your mattress must help you sleep better, rather than making you more uncomfortable. Your memory foam mattress should form on your body to help cradle your pressure points. Foam mattresses are known for great pressure relief, which means you’ll be able to sleep without discomfort. Waking up without pressure points can improve your sleep and the day ahead.
If you sit on the edge of the bed to put your slippers on, you know how easy it is to slide off. Some mattresses offer minimal edge support, and you never feel secure or supported sitting or sleeping near the edge. Mattresses might have perimeter support foams or extra firm coils along the edges to help solve this problem.
Buying a Memory Foam Mattress Online in Canada
Now that you know you want to go with a memory foam mattress, let’s talk about why you’d buy one online. You could always go to a physical location to try out your memory foam mattress, but here are some reasons why that might not be ideal.
Outside of the warranty, the length of the sleep trial is one of the most important factors to consider when purchasing a mattress online in Canada. Because you can’t go to a store to try the mattress, online retailers use the sleep trial to help you decide. This period (usually between 30 and 120 nights) helps you see if the mattress works for you. It’s better than trying the mattress in-store because you’ll have more time to see if your body can adjust.
Usually, sleep trials require you to try the mattress for at least 30 days before deciding to use it or return it. It takes about 30 days for your body to get used to a new mattress, which is why they put this restriction in place. However, you can return it after the first 30 days. You’ll get a full refund of your purchase price. Most mattress retailers will donate used mattresses to those in need, too. You don’t have to feel guilty about returning a mattress!
While this is generally how a sleep trial works, different mattress brands in Canada have different terms and trial lengths. The Douglas mattress, for instance, features one of the longest trials. With 365 nights to try the mattress, you’ll have plenty of time to determine if the mattress is right for you. Make sure to check with the company before making a final decision.
A warranty is a guarantee of quality. A manufacturer’s warranty for a foam mattress can last from 10 years to 25 years. Rarely, you’ll find lifetime warranties. These guarantees may be for the materials or the manufacturer itself, so be sure to read any warranty documentation to make sure.
A longer warranty is better. A company willing to guarantee its mattress for several decades tells you that they are confident in its product.
Unboxing and Off-Gassing
Buying a mattress online in Canada is easier in multiple ways, including getting the mattress delivered. Instead of finding some way to get the mattress to your home (or paying expensive delivery fees), the mattress will be delivered right to your door. Most companies ship free to most places in Canada, though some remote locations may have to pay extra fees.
Unboxing is simple. The mattress will be rolled up tightly for shipping. You simply take the box to the room where you’re setting up the mattress, slide it out of the box, and cut the plastic wrap surrounding it.
After the wrap is cut, the mattress will slowly rise to its expected size and shape. This may take up to 48 hours. During this time, memory foam mattresses may emit a ‘chemical’ smell. This smell can be irritating to some, but it will go away over time and with proper ventilation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Memory foam mattresses should last up to 10 years, though some may last longer. Mattresses made with high-density memory foam will last longer. For the most part, you shouldn’t keep your memory foam mattress for more than 15 years at the maximum before replacing it.
Memory foam mattresses are popular in Canada for several reasons. Besides traditional memory foam, there are many innovative materials available in these mattresses, such as cooling gel foam and aerated layers, offering personalized comfort. Hybrid mattress options that combine memory foam with other materials further enhance the choices. Mass production within Canada has made these diverse options more accessible and affordable, allowing Canadians to find the perfect fit for their individual needs.
You should replace your memory foam mattress when it is between 7 to 10 years old. Some well-made memory foam mattresses may last longer, but you should replace them when they become uncomfortable. It may be time to look into a replacement mattress when they fail to support you or form indents where you usually lay.
Your memory foam mattress is rolled up in a box for shipping. All you have to do is remove it from the box and roll it flat. The mattress will expand to its intended size in 24 to 48 hours, though some mattresses are ready to sleep on immediately. It isn’t difficult to get it set up at all!
All of the mattresses featured on our list are made in Canada. Most are made from Canadian materials where possible, too. Purchasing these Canadian-made mattresses helps support the local economy and domestic production, which may be important to some Canadians.
Most companies that manufacture memory foam do so in a non-toxic, eco-conscious way. Memory foam is now made in a way that has very little negative impact on the environment. Still, there are eco-conscious options for those who are concerned about environment impact.