Canadians who are in the market for a new mattress and enjoy a plush or soft sleeping experience may want to choose a mattress that is soft to medium in firmness. Softer mattresses will leave you feeling like you are sleeping on a cloud and have a slightly supportive sinking feeling. These mattresses can be great for pressure points and all sleeping positions. Our team of professional researchers and testers spend countless hours trying all the best soft mattresses available in Canada to choose the ones that stand out as favourites.
We tested the mattresses in our review today on multiple features like cooling properties, temperature control and firmness. Each one of our testers tried these mattresses for an extended time, and each tried multiple mattresses in order to review them fairly. Only the best mattresses made it into our list today. Here are our picks for the best soft mattresses in Canada of 2023.
Best Soft Mattresses for Canadians September 2023
- Best Overall – Endy Mattress
- Best Budget Friendly – Octave Vista Mattress
- Best All-Foam – Douglas Alpine Mattress
- Best Motion Isolation – Silk & Snow Mattress
- Best Pressure Relief – Recore Mattress
- Best Hybrid – Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
- Best for Back Sleepers – Endy Hybrid Mattress
- Best Cooling – Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress
- Best Hybrid – Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress
- Best for Edge Sleepers – Brunswick Mattress
Why Did We Choose These Soft Mattresses in Canada?
Each of these softer mattresses that we are looking at today was carefully chosen after hours of trial and usage. With our professional team and testers, we compared all of the data and feedback to select the best models. These mattresses are the best of the best, especially after extended use. Here is why we chose each of the bestsoft mattresses for Canadians.
The Endy Mattress is a great mattress that is supportive and comfortable to sleep on and is our favourite soft mattress in Canada. This mattress is made of multiple layers that help with motion isolation between co-sleepers and keeps its shape and firmness no matter the ambient temperature.
Canadians seeking a great soft mattress that is budget-friendly will love the Octave Vista Mattress. This mattress features excellent cooling properties for those who sleep hot, as well as pressure relief to soothe aching joints and muscles.
Users who prefer an all-foam mattress rather than a traditional coil or hybrid option should consider the Douglas Alpine Mattress. With multiple layers of high-quality foam, this soft mattress is perfect for Canadians who sleep hot or need full body support.
Those who co-sleep with restless partners and are used to getting woken up throughout the night will appreciate the Silk & Snow Mattress, our favourite soft mattress for motion isolation. This Canadian mattress helps anyone sleeping with an active partner, pets or children have a peaceful night’s sleep.
Whether you exercise daily or suffer from joint and muscle pain, finding a mattress that can help with recovery and pain relief can be tricky. We chose the Recore Mattress as the best soft mattress in Canada that helps with pressure relief. This mattress is completely comfortable, supportive and will have you feeling rested.
With all the great features of a foam mattress paired with a durable, high-quality coil base, the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is our pick for the best soft hybrid mattress available in Canada. This mattress offers excellent temperature control for those who sleep warm and pressure relief for anyone who suffers from aches and pains.
Finding a mattress that caters to your sleeping position can be hard, especially for those who sleep on their back and need extra lumbar support. The Endy Hybrid Mattress is Canada’s best soft mattress for those who sleep on their back, with its excellent support for spinal alignment and pressure points.
Canadians who naturally sleep hot or live in warm climates need a mattress that can help reduce heat and sweating. The Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress features unique temperature control measures, as well as a gentle bounce and is our pick for the best soft cooling mattress in Canada.
The Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress is a plush and comfortable hybrid mattress that most Canadians will find to be a good fit. We think the soft and luxurious Euro-top is one of the many highlights of this mattress, and those seeking a hotel-like sleep surface will love this luxury mattress.
Canadians who sleep on the edge of the mattress may be concerned with choosing a mattress that won’t break down over time. The Brunswick Spring Mattress does a great job with firm perimeter support so the edge of the mattress won’t sink or sag over the years due to edge sleeping or sitting.
The Endy Mattress
It's Great For:
Canadians searching for a durable all-foam mattress with many great features and a moderate budget should consider the Endy Original Mattress, which is our pick for the best soft mattress in the Canadian market. This great mattress is made from three foam layers and a soft cover and is delivered conveniently to you in a slim box.
The cover of the Endy Original is made from a soft polyester that has a zip-off top portion. This removable top cover can be machine washed and dried, which is nice for those who have allergies or in case of an accidental spill. Both breathable and plush, the micro-quilted texture of the cover helps keep the air fresh.
Many Canadians sleep warm and struggle to stay comfortable throughout the night. The top layer of this mattress features Endy Comfort Foam, made with open-cell technology that releases trapped heat and lowers your temperature. In addition to keeping sleepers cool, this layer offers pressure relief and support for those with back problems or who have achy joints.
Couples and co-sleepers will love the middle layer of Endy Transition Foam, which prevents motion transfer between even the most restless partners. The high-density memory foam foundation of the Endy ensures overall durability and keeps it from breaking down as quickly as some other memory foam mattresses do. The bottom base of the Endy Original is created from high-density foam, ensuring the mattress won’t break down as fast as other mattresses over time, making it incredibly durable.
This soft, temperature-neutral mattress comes in all standard sizes; Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and California King. Those buying a mattress to match their existing bed frame will be able to choose an Endy Mattress that will work for them. All Endy mattresses come with a 100-night sleep trial in order to make sure that the mattress is what you are looking for in comfort and support.
- Micro-Quilted Cover. Both removable and washable, this cover can be regularly cleaned and helps sleepers stay cool throughout the night.
- Endy Comfort Foam. For Canadians who sleep warm, the top layer of comfort foam reduces body temperatures while alleviating back pain and pressure points.
- Transition Layer. A layer of comfortable transition foam helps cushion the supportive core of the mattress. This layer also helps reduce any motion that may transfer from one side of the mattress to the other.
- Support Foam. This temperature-neutral foundation is made from high-density foam and ensures a long lifespan without the foam breaking down over time.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress provided excellent support for our testers wanting a softer all-foam mattress. Our testers who co-sleep found the motion isolation to be a great benefit and weren’t woken up by their partners nearly as often.”
Octave Vista Mattress
It's Great For:
When choosing which new mattress to buy, most users will factor in the cost when making a final decision. The Octave Vista is a great all-foam mattress with many fantastic features and is perfect for any Canadian on a budget.
The cover of the Octave Vista is made from a breathable and soft fabric infused with cooling CryoFusion nanofibres. Designed to wick away heat and moisture, this cover ensures even the hottest sleepers will wake up comfortably and sweat-free. Whether you naturally sleep hot or live in a warm climate, this cover works to reduce heat night after night. For easy cleaning, the top of the cover can be easily zipped off and machine-washed.
The top layer of the Octave Vista is 2” of thick cooling foam, which combines copper threading and PolarMAX phase change material to promote healthy air and lower temperatures. Naturally antimicrobial, this layer stays cool even in the warm summer months and is great for soothing aching muscles.
Next, a layer of 2” thick Elastex foam mimics natural latex in bounce and responsiveness. This gives the Octave Vista a softer feel without sleepers getting trapped in the mattress. For those who change positions often throughout the night, this layer helps with ease of movement and pressure relief for joints.
The foundational layer of the Octave Vista is constructed from 8” of high-density memory foam. This unique foam continues to stay cool with its built-in air channels, allowing trapped heat to escape and the air surrounding the mattress never to get stuffy. Canadians needing pressure relief for aching joints and pressure points will benefit from the five-zone support system targeting cushioning for hips, back and shoulders. Couples and co-sleepers will love the motion isolation property that this layer offers, helping for a more restorative sleep.
Overall, the Octave Vista is a great option for most Canadians seeking a softer mattress at a great price point. Those who sleep hot will benefit from this mattress, as well as those who prefer a more plush mattress surface. Available in all standard mattress sizes and a lengthy 365-night sleep trial, testing this mattress out has very little risk.
- Washable Cooling Cover. The soft and breathable cover of the Octave Vista can be easily removed and machine washed, and it keeps sleepers cool night after night with its CryoFusion nanofibres.
- Elastex Foam. Mimicking natural latex, this springy and supportive layer of foam adapts to changing positions and movement while providing relief for aching joints.
- PolarMAX Change Material. This layer of foam, which is infused with copper and PolarMAX Phase change material, helps to reduce heat and wick away moisture, no matter how warm you typically sleep.
- High-Density Foundation. This thick layer of high-density memory foam has built-in air channels for maximum airflow. Both thick and supportive, this base helps the mattress ensure a long lifespan.
Our Expert’s Take
“Those on a budget will love all of the high-quality features that this mattress offers. Those who sleep hot will especially love the cooling features, perfect for those living in warmer areas.”
Best All-Foam Mattress
The Douglas Alpine Mattress
It's Great For:
Canadians seeking an all-foam mattress that is durable and won’t break down will love the Douglas Alpine Mattress. With great temperature control features and deep pressure relief for aching joints and pains, this mattress is a solid overall option and has a great moderate price point.
The cover of the Douglas Alpine Mattress is the first way that this mattress will keep you cool. This removable and washable cover is made from Infinitex fibres that wick heat and moisture away from the body. For those with allergies or who like a regularly clean mattress, the ability to wash this cover with your regular bedding is a huge perk.
For those who sleep extra hot or like to keep their bedroom warm, the top layer of the Douglas Alpine Mattress will reduce and regulate your temperature. This cooling EcoLight Gel Foam is made with 40% less carbon input than most other mattresses on the market. Infused with Polar Temperature Balancing technology, users will stay cool in the summer and warmer in the winter. Canadians who need extra support for achy joints or certain sleeping positions will find great pressure relief with this layer.
The middle layer of the mattress is made with Douglas’ unique Elastex Foam, which mimics real latex in feel and support, perfect for those with latex allergies. This foam mimics latex in feel, support and motion isolation but lacks natural latex, which is perfect for those with allergies. Those who co-sleep will find peaceful rest with the Douglas Alpine due to its bottom base layer of thick high-density Support Foam, which has excellent motion isolation properties.
The Douglas Alpine Mattress comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King and Split King, making it accessible for all purchasers seeking a particular size. This mattress comes with a 365-night sleep trial, longer than most other mattresses on our list today.
- Washable Cover. Made from Inifinetx Fibres inspired by the mountains of Western Canada, this cover whisks away heat and can be machine washed.
- EcoLight Cooling Gel. The top layer of the Douglas Mattress helps reduce body temperature throughout the night. It’s also made with 40% less carbon input than standard memory foam.
- Elastex Foam Layer. This middle layer is great for those seeking pressure relief for achy joints and painful pressure points, which cradles and cushions the body.
- Motion Support Base. Made of thick high-density foam, the bottom layer of the Douglas helps co-sleepers find undisturbed sleep, even for the most restless partners.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was a great option for our testers who have latex allergies. Our testers loved the cooling gel layer, which kept them comfortable and sweat-free night after night.”
Video Demonstration of the Douglas Mattress
Best Motion Isolation
The Silk & Snow Mattress
It's Great For:
Canadians who co-sleep may find themselves getting work up frequently throughout the night due to their partner’s restless movements. We chose the Silk & Snow Mattress as having the best motion isolation properties in a soft mattress in Canada. This all-foam mattress has great temperature control and excels in preventing motion transfer.
The top antimicrobial cover of the Silk and Snow Mattress prevents bacteria and odours from growing and is great for those with seasonal allergies. For the accidental spill that may occur, this cover can be zipped off for easy cleaning in the washing machine. Under this top cover lies a layer of thick cooling gel foam, which keeps sleepers comfortable and eliminates overheating. Those who need pressure relief because of aches and sleeping positions will appreciate the support this gel foam offers.
The middle of the Silk & Snow Mattress is made of transitional performance foam, which is perfect for co-sleepers. This important layer ensures that you will get a deep and restorative night’s sleep, even if your partner is restless or gets up frequently throughout the night. The high-density base foundation of the Silk & Snow is designed for stability and long-term usage, without large indents or sagging that can occur with some mattresses.
The Silk & Snow Mattress comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and California King sizes, which will work for most Canadians. This mattress includes a 100-night sleep trial in order to make sure that you enjoy the Silk & Snow Mattress enough to want to keep it. This is an excellent lower-priced soft mattress that will suit most Canadian needs.
- Washable Cover. This antimicrobial cover can be easily removed and washed with regular bedding, which is great for those with allergies or skin sensitivities.
- Gel Memory Foam Layer. For those who sleep warm, this layer of cooling gel foam helps to reduce overheating and night sweats. Even if you sleep hot throughout the night, this layer helps reduce your temperature.
- Performance Foam. This transitional layer of performance foam is great for those who co-sleep with a restless partner. Canadians who have pets or small children in their beds will also benefit from the excellent motion isolation this layer provides.
- Durable Base Layer. The foundation of the Silk & Snow Mattress is incredibly supportive and does a great job of providing pressure relief for Canadians who have back and joint pain.
Our Expert’s Take
“This soft mattress was a great experience for our testers who co-slept. Our testers found they slept undisturbed and were not woken up by their partner’s or pets’ movements during the night.”
Best for Pressure Relief
The Recore Mattress
It's Great For:
This unique Canadian mattress is perfect for active Canadians seeking deep and restorative sleep. The Recore Mattress is our pick for the best pressure relief properties in a soft mattress available in Canada. This mattress helps soothe and support achy joints and muscles and is an ideal choice for anyone who is an athlete, regularly works out, or often suffers from back or joint pain.
Canadians looking for a clean and healthy mattress will appreciate the cover of the Recore Mattress, which is infused with SilverCharged Threads. These threads help keep the mattress antimicrobial as well as reduce sweating and moisture, keeping the mattress fresh and dry. For those with allergies or for the occasional spill, the Recore Mattress features a cover that can be removed and machine-washed.
The top layer of the mattress is made from Graphite Latex Foam, which helps by lowering your core temperature while sleeping. This layer is incredibly supportive and works together with a layer of cooling gel foam underneath it to even further reduce temperatures by channelling away body heat and warm air. These two layers do a great job with pressure relief, and Canadians with joint pain or needing muscle recovery will find this mattress does a superior job.
Made of thick high-density foam, the base layer of the Recore Mattress increases mattress longevity and overall durability. Those who co-sleep will find that this layer is excellent for motion isolation from their partner’s movements.
The Recore Mattress comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and California King sizes, which will work for most Canadians trying to find a mattress to fit an existing bed frame that they own. This mattress comes with a 120-night sleep trial, which is longer than the average sleep trial in Canada. The Recore Mattress is great for most users looking for a soft mattress that will help with performance recovery.
- Antimicrobial Cover. This removable and washable cover is infused with SilverCharged threads, which help wick away heat and moisture, leaving you cool and dry night after night.
- Graphite Latex Foam. This latex foam channels heat and moisture away while cushioning and supporting sleepers’ deepest pressure points.
- Cooling Gel Layer. Canadians who sleep hot or keep their bedrooms warm will love the layer of cooling gel foam which reduces core temperatures and provides relief for aching muscles.
- Supportive Base. The foundation of the Recore Mattress is made from high-density foam that helps prevent motion transfer between partners and overall mattress breakdown over time.
Our Expert’s Take
“Our most active and athletic testers loved the feeling of deep and restored sleep and woke up pain-free. They enjoyed the cooling features and ability to wash the cover when needed.”
Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
Those who want a soft mattress that combines the benefits of a foam mattress with the deep support of a coil base should consider Silk & Snow’s Hybrid Mattress, which is our pick for the best hybrid soft mattress in Canada. With great features like cooling properties and motion isolation, this hybrid mattress is an excellent choice for any Canadian.
The cover of the Silk & Snow Hybrid is made from an antimicrobial fabric, which prevents the growth of bacteria and odours. Since this mattress cover isn’t removable, this is a great feature to keep your mattress clean and fresh on a daily basis. The plush cover is soft and breathable, allowing air to circulate, and reduces overall heat build-up so you won’t wake up hot and sweaty.
Silk & Snow Hybrid‘s top layer is made of cooling foam, which is great for those who sleep warm. This top layer will reduce and regulate body temperatures throughout the night, keeping sleepers cool and comfortable. Its plush quilted top is extremely soft, allowing users to sink into their mattress without feeling trapped. In the middle of the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is a layer of high-density memory foam. For co-sleepers, this layer will help prevent motion transfer between restless partners for quiet and undisturbed sleep.
The base of the Silk & Snow Hybrid is formed of 1,200 zoned coils that support your entire body, providing excellent support and pressure relief. Canadians who sleep on the edge of the bed may worry about the mattress sinking over time, which can happen to many mattresses; however, the Silk & Snow hybrid has an extra firm perimeter support ensuring that even with repeated sleeping and sitting on the edge, the mattress will keep its shape without any sagging.
The Silk & Snow Hybrid comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and California King, ensuring that it will work for all available bed frames you may have. For those who are unsure if this softer mattress is right for them, they offer a 100-night sleep trial. This mattress is a great choice for anyone seeking a softer hybrid mattress with great features.
- Antimicrobial Cover. This airy, quilted cover prevents bacteria and odours while allowing for maximum air circulation closest to where you sleep.
- Soft Quilted Top. For Canadians who sleep warm, this quilted layer of cooling foam will keep you cushy and comfortable without overheating.
- Pocket Coil Base. 1200 tempered steel pocket coils make up the foundation of the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress. This base helps those with back, or lumbar problems get the zoned support and alignment needed.
- Edge Support. This firm perimeter is made of reinforced coils and surrounds the entire mattress. Those who sleep on the edge won’t have to worry about it sinking or sagging over time.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was extremely plush and comfortable, yet still kept our testers cool during the night without any heat build-up or sweating.”
Best for Back Sleepers
The Endy Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
Many Canadians need extra back support, whether due to old injuries or sleeping positions; it’s important to find a mattress that provides deep lumbar support to get a great night’s sleep. The Canadian-made Endy Hybrid is our favourite soft mattress in Canada for those who sleep on their back. This hybrid mattress offers great features found in a foam mattress, combined with the support of a coil spring base.
The cover of the Endy Hybrid Mattress is quilted and plush and mimics a soft pillow top. This top cover won’t have you feeling trapped in the mattress and is supportive for those needing extra cushioning for their joints. This breathable top cover disperses warm air and is great for temperature control, helping sleepers stay cool during the night.
At the top of the mattress, the Comfort Foam Layer further reduces body temperatures by allowing air to circulate through its open cell technology and dispersing heat out the sides of the mattress. The Endy Hybrid is great for those who sleep hot or live in warmer climates.
The Endy Transition Foam is the middle layer of the mattress and is best suited to help those who co-sleep. This layer of thick foam helps with motion isolation so you won’t be disturbed by your partner, no matter how restless they may be during the night. For achy joints and pressure points, this transitional foam cradles the body and alleviates pain.
The coil base of the Endy Hybrid is made of high-carbon steel pocket coils, which are quiet and extremely strong, ensuring a long life for your mattress. Canadians who sleep on their back will benefit the most from this base layer, with its zoned coils that are aimed at providing superior lumbar support. Under the coil base is another layer of support foam, which helps the mattress stay firm and keep its shape over the years.
The Endy Hybrid comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and California King. These sizes will work for all standard bed frames you can buy in the Canadian market. With a 100-night sleep trial, you will have plenty of time to try the Endy Hybrid Mattress out. This softer mattress is a great hybrid that is excellent spinal alignment and those suffering from back issues.
- Plush Cover. This quilted, breathable cover is soft and thick like a pillow top yet supportive enough for those needing pressure relief.
- Comfort Foam. For those who sleep hot, this layer of Endy Comfort Foam wicks away heat and moisture, helping sleepers stay cool night after night.
- Endy Transition Foam. This layer of transition foam offers the ultimate in motion isolation and pressure relief, which is perfect for those who co-sleep or have achy joints.
- Zoned Coil Base. The steel coil base of the Endy Hybrid is durable and squeak-free. The zoned coils are softer where your hips and shoulders are and firmer where your back and legs lay. These zoned coils provide superior lumbar support and are ideal for those who sleep on their back.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress was supportive and comfortable, especially for our testers who slept on their back and side. The zoned coils helped our testers sleep pain-free, while the plush mattress top was like sleeping on a cloud.”
Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
Many Canadians wake up feeling hot, sweaty and uncomfortable. Soft mattresses can often retain heat and leave you feeling stuffy, so it can be essential to choose a mattress with excellent temperature control. The Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress is our pick for the best soft cooling mattress in Canada and has great cooling and joint soothing properties as well as easy cleaning. Moderately priced, the Hush Iced Hybrid is perfect for those who sleep warm and want a softer, slim profile mattress.
At the top of the Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress is a cover made from a breathable and soft textured fabric. This unique fabric allows air to flow freely without getting trapped in the mattress. Completely antibacterial, those with allergies or who need cleaner sleeping surfaces will benefit from this removable and washable cover. Canadians who sleep hot will find that this cover helps to reduce heat closest to your body while wicking away any sweat and moisture throughout the night, leading to cool and dry sleep.
In the middle of the mattress, two layers of foam continue to help reduce temperatures while soothing aching muscles and pressure points. First, a layer of bamboo viscose foam works to lower body heat and eliminate night sweats. This cooling foam is also great at providing sore joints a restorative sleep with its naturally antibacterial and adaptable materials. Underneath, a layer of Super Elate Foam helps to alleviate any remaining pressure pain from hips, backs or shoulders. This layer creates a soft and cradling surface without the feeling of drowning in your mattress, perfect for those who sleep on their stomach.
At the bottom of the Hush Iced Hybrid is a 4” thick layer of honeycomb coils, which are unique to Hush. These creatively constructed coils allow for maximum airflow and springiness. With superior motion absorption, co-sleepers who are often disturbed by restless partners during the night can achieve peaceful sleep. Unlike all-foam mattresses, hybrid options don’t break down as quickly and are great for those who sleep on the edge of the bed and need more structure to their bed.
The Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress is a great option for any Canadian who naturally sleeps hot or lives in a warmer climate and needs a top-of-the-line cooling mattress. It comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen and King, which will work for most Canadians. Hush includes a 100-night sleep trial, which is an average length and long enough to decide if the Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress is the right one for you.
- Cooling Cover. This breathable, textured fabric allows warm air to be dispersed while wicking heat and moisture away from the body to keep sleepers supremely comfortable. The cover is easily zipped off and machine-washed for easy cleaning.
- Bamboo Viscose Layer. This layer of bamboo foam is naturally antibacterial and keeps the mattress clean and dry. For those who change positions throughout the night, this foam is highly responsive and provides great support for pressure points.
- Super Elate Foam. Unique to Hush, this layer of foam combines silver and copper threading to keep the mattress fresh and clean at all times. Infused with graphite, this layer reduces any remaining heat and will keep you cool night after night.
- Honeycomb Coil Base. Made from 4” thick honeycomb coil springs, the foundation of the Hush Iced Hybrid is durable and airy. Those wanting a softer mattress will enjoy the bounce it has without the feeling of being trapped in the mattress.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Hush Iced Hybrid Mattress is perfect for any Canadian who tends to sleep hot and wants a soft, extra cool mattress. Those with allergies will love the removable cover, which is easy to clean in the washing machine.”
Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For:
Looking for a hotel like soft mattress with top of the line features? The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress has excellent cooling properties, a plush Euro-top and is supremely comfortable. This mattress is our favourite soft luxury mattress in Canada of 2023.
This mattress features two separate layers of coils, as well as unique and proprietary foams that work to keep you comfortable no matter how you sleep. The plush Euro-top section includes a CryoFusion cooling cover, which uses cooling nanofibers to vent heat away from you throughout the night. If you overheat, this cover and the layers below can help you stay cool throughout the night. This pillow top also includes hollow-fibre fill and gel-infused foam, which is quilted to the cover to provide maximum airflow and comfort.
The first foam layer inside the mattress is ecoLuxe Cooling Gel Foam. EcoLuxe uses less carbon than standard memory foam, which means it’s a more eco-conscious choice for most Canadians. This layer helps with pressure relief and neutralizing excess heat, which is extremely important for most sleepers. Beneath this layer of foam is the layer of Aeroduct micro coils. These supportive coils conform to your body to provide customized support. They also add additional airflow through the mattress, which helps reduce heat.
The final layer of foam is made of premium Elastex, a material that mimics the feel of latex without any of the chemicals that may cause allergic reactions. This nonallergenic alternative still provides responsiveness and bounce to your mattress. Finally, the support layer features zoned pocket coils. Firm coils through the centre of the mattress and around the edges provide essential support, while softer coils under your shoulders and knees prevent strain.
If you need a softer-feeling mattress that still offers strong support, the Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress is the option for you. You can try it for a full year after your purchase, after which it will be covered by a 15-year warranty.
- Euro-Top Section. The top of the Logan & Cove hybrid mattress is a plush Euro-top made with hollow-fibre fill, gel-infused foam, and a CryoFusion cooling cover. It’s cool and comfortable for those who need pressure relief.
- Edge Support Coils. The pocket coil layer features a firm edge support perimeter. The coils around the edges of the mattress are firmer, meaning the mattress won’t collapse when you sit on the edge of the bed.
- Aeroduct Micro Coils. A second layer of pocket coils (micro coils, in this case) helps provide better support and optimal airflow throughout the mattress.
- Up to 2,920 Pocket Coils. Between the coil layer and the micro coil layer, the largest size of the Logan & Cove Frontier Hybrid Mattress contains a total of 2,920 pocket coils.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress features great support as well as a plush sleeping surface. Most of our testers loved the way that it felt when they tried it out.”
Best for Edge Sleepers
It's Great For:
For those who sleep on the edge of the bed, choosing a mattress that won’t suffer from perimeter breakdown over time can be essential. We chose the Brunswick Spring Mattress as our top pick for the best soft mattress in Canada for edge sleepers. This pillow top hybrid mattress feels incredibly luxurious and is moderately priced.
The Brunswick Spring Mattress features a plush and thick pillow top covered in a quilted polyester fabric that is meant to promote airflow and temperature reduction. Within the pillow top is a lightweight padded fill that is supportive and soft and made from Holofill Fibre. This padded fill works alongside a layer of cooling gel foam that reduces and regulates core temperatures while supporting joints and pressure points. The bottom of the pillow top layer is made from an Eco-Foam that is infused with soy to help spinal alignment and lumbar support.
The Brunswick Mattress has a foundation that is made from thick steel coils that are meant to be durable and last longer than an all-foam mattress. Those who co-sleep will appreciate the limited motion transfer between partners due to these pocket coils.
Canadians who sleep on the edge will love the perimeter of reinforced support foam that surrounds the entire Brunswick Spring Mattress. This layer of thick encasement foam prevents sinking and sagging that can occur over time due to repeated edge sleeping and sitting. This feature is not often found in all-foam or hybrid mattresses and is definitely a reason to purchase this mattress.
The Brunswick Spring Mattress comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and California King and is a great choice for any existing bed frame you may own. The included 120-sleep trial is a great way to test out the mattress for yourself in order to make sure you want to keep it long-term. This hybrid pillow-top mattress is a great purchase for those needing temperature control, a soft surface and who sleep on the edge.
- Luxurious Pillow Top. This plush and soft pillow top feels like sleeping on a cloud and is made from layers of Holofibre Fill, Cooling Gel Foam and Eco-Foam.
- Cooling Gel Foam. Great for those who sleep hot, a layer of cooling gel foam helps wick away heat and disperse warm air, keeping you cool and comfortable all night long.
- Coil Spring Foundation. This durable steel coil-filled base is supportive and reduces pressure pain due to achy joints or certain sleeping positions.
- Firm Edge Support. This reinforced perimeter of foam ensures that the mattress won’t sink and sag along the edges over time, even due to repeated sleeping or sitting there.
Our Expert’s Take
“This luxurious feeling mattress was a hit with our testers, who felt like they were sleeping in a hotel. Our testers who sleep on the edge of the bed loved that the mattress stayed firm, without any sinking or slipping.”
Why Trust Us?
To bring you these recommendations, we conducted extensive tests with our team of dedicated testers. Each member of our team evaluated each soft mattress based on a series of performance areas. Our diverse group comes from a range of sleeping positions and body types, and all of them work hard to make sure that we’re giving you the most complete picture of each mattress.
Here are the features we looked for to recommend these mattresses to you.
- Temperature Control. A lot of Canadians sleep hot, and foam mattresses can make overheating worse. Thankfully, most foam mattresses have some form of temperature control. Make sure to look for mattresses with multiple temperature control features if you often wake up too hot.
- Motion Isolation. Sleeping with a partner, your kids, and even your pets might wake you up, especially if your mattress transfers motion easily. Mattresses with great motion isolation can make it easier to sleep through movement from the other side of the bed.
- Pressure Relief. Most sleepers who prefer soft mattresses enjoy increased pressure relief. If you want to relieve pressure points and be more comfortable throughout the night, look for a mattress with superior pressure relief.
- Edge Support. If you like to sit or sleep on the edge of the mattress, edge support can be important. Some mattresses lose support as you approach the edges, but mattresses with perimeter
Why Choose a Soft Mattress?
Softer mattresses can be great for lighter sleepers, and those who need a little more pressure relief. They often provide better alignment for side sleepers, and they can help align the spine better.
If you are often uncomfortable on your current mattress or often wake with pressure points, a softer mattress might be a solution. They can provide extra comfort while maintaining proper support for most sleepers. If you want your mattress to feel like a cloud, a soft mattress could be ideal for you.
However, those with existing back conditions shouldn’t use a softer mattress, as it can make these issues worse. While soft mattresses can still offer adequate support, some sleepers need more support than soft mattresses can offer.
How to Choose a Soft Mattress in Canada
Choosing a mattress doesn’t have to be complicated. Once you identify your preferences, you can start looking at mattresses that meet your criteria. But how do you know what you’ll prefer? Here are some areas you should consider as you shop for a mattress online.
There are a few different types of mattresses on the Canadian market. Each type is primarily defined by the materials used to create it. They each offer different benefits and drawbacks, so make sure you thoroughly research the type of mattress you want before making a purchase. Most of the following mattress types are represented on our list.
- Memory foam mattresses use layers of memory foam to form to your body, providing support right where you need it. Memory foam springs back quickly, so it can reform your body without sagging permanently. However, while it’s comfortable and great at relieving pressure, memory foam is notoriously warm. It allows heat to gather as you sleep, which may lead to uncomfortable overheating if it’s not mitigated with temperature control features.
- Latex mattresses use a latex material to create their conforming layers. Latex is more responsive than memory foam and creates a surface that is easier to move around on. It doesn’t contour to your body as well as memory foam and may create an allergic reaction in some people. To combat this, there are non-allergenic latex alternatives with similar properties on the market.
- Hybrid mattresses give you the best of both foam and innerspring mattresses. They usually have layers of foams and fabrics on top of a layer of pocketed coils. Since the coils are pocketed, they compress individually. This gives a hybrid more motion isolation properties than an innerspring mattress, while also offering contouring and customized support.
- Innerspring mattresses are the most traditional mattresses available. They use a layer of connected springs to provide support. While they can be more supportive, they are also usually firmer and create more motion transfer. You are unlikely to find innerspring mattresses online, as they cannot be rolled up to ship to you.
Make sure to fully research each type of mattresses before you fully commit to a purchase. Certain types of sleepers may have different preferences for mattress type, so take steps to ensure that you know what you need.
The way you sleep can have an impact on the type of mattress you prefer. Most Canadians who prefer a softer mattress, for example, sleep on their stomachs or sides. Side sleepers can benefit from the increased pressure relief offered by a softer mattress, and those on their stomachs are comfortably cushioned as long as they have good support.
Some side sleepers and those who sleep on their backs may prefer a firmer mattress. However, these are only recommendations. You may prefer a different type of mattress, and you should always follow your personal preferences.
Construction and Materials
The way that a mattress is constructed is just as important as the materials used to create it. Here are some of the things you should look for in construction and materials when choosing a mattress online.
- Composition. How many layers does the mattress have? If the mattress has cooling layers, where are they located? Cooling materials should be located as close to the top layer of the mattress as possible. Look for comforting transition layers before the denser support foam core, as this can help relieve pressure best.
- Eco-conscious materials. Foam mattresses are produced in a way that may create emissions, but some companies use different methods and materials. If this is important to you, look for mattresses made with eco-conscious foams and decreased emissions.
- Proprietary Materials. When a company uses proprietary materials, it means that they have engineered the products themselves. When a company uses a branded material, it means that you won’t find it anywhere else. The great thing about proprietary materials is that they generally work better than standard options, as they are designed for a very specific purpose.
Before you can choose a mattress, you need to know what size you need. Mattresses come in six sizes as a standard, with other options available for different types of beds (such as RV mattresses). Here are the six standard sizes and how large you can expect them to be.
# of Sleepers
96cm x 190cm
96cm x 203cm
137cm x 188cm
152cm x 203cm
193cm x 203cm
183cm x 213cm
Another common mattress size is Split King. The Split King size is equivalent to two Twin XL mattresses that can be pushed together to create a King-sized sleeping surface. Split King is ideal for couples with split adjustable frames, as each side of the mattress can be raised and lowered independently.
Where are you going to put your mattress? Before you make a final decision, you might want to check out which foundations your mattress is compatible with. There are a few basic types of foundations you might encounter. Chances are, you probably already have one at home. Keep in mind that you should replace your foundation often as well and that you need a foundation that matches the size of your mattress.
- Platform foundations work well with most mattresses. These solid foundations are usually elevated off of the floor, allowing lots of room for storage under the bed. These foundations are best for memory foam mattresses especially because they provide a consistently solid support surface.
- Adjustable foundations work primarily with foam mattresses, though some hybrids are compatible as well. Adjustable foundations allow you to move the head and foot of the mattress up and down. You can find a comfortable sleeping position no matter how you sleep. However, adjustable foundations shouldn’t be used with innerspring mattresses.
- Slatted foundations use wooden slats to create a supportive surface. Slatted foundations work best for innerspring mattresses, though some hybrids can benefit from them as well. When using a slatted foundation with a memory foam mattress, make sure that the slats are wide and close together. Larger mattress sizes may require a centre support beam to ensure proper support throughout.
- A box spring foundation is a more traditional option, usually used with innerspring mattresses. You can use a boxspring with hybrid and foam mattresses too, but you should find one that’s designed for foam mattresses for it to be completely effective. In a pinch, a same-sized boxspring foundation will do for most mattresses.
You can find the compatibility information for most mattresses on the company website. However, some might require a bit more digging. You can always check with customer service if you aren’t sure. It’s essential to choose a foundation that is compatible with your mattress to prevent sagging and lack of support.
Mattress Performance Features
Outside of the standard mattress features, you should look for, certain performance features that can make your nights that much easier. We mentioned some of these features above, as we evaluated each of the mattress recommendations on our list based on these parameters.
Great motion isolation ensures that you won’t be disturbed if your partner is tossing and turning. If you often sleep with pets, children, or your partner, look for a mattress that provides superior motion isolation. Foam mattresses are great at isolating motion and keeping it from making its way to the other side of the bed. Hybrid mattresses and their coils are also much better than traditional innerspring mattresses at isolating motion.
Look for foam mattresses with thick transition layers, as well as motion-isolating support foam cores.
A lot of Canadians sleep warm, with heat gathering up as they sleep. Foam mattresses make this problem worse sometimes, leading to more overheating than an innerspring mattress might create. To combat this, mattress manufacturers have added a ton of temperature control features to their mattresses. If you often wake up overheated, look for open-cell foam mattresses.
Other features you should consider are gel memory foam layers, proprietary phase-changing materials, or an increase in overall breathability. Some mattresses even have small perforations to allow heat to move away from you.
Support is important in a soft mattress. Though all mattresses offer some measure of support, a lack of it can make sleeping that much more uncomfortable. Make sure to choose a mattress that adequately supports your body, balances your weight across the mattress, and provides support exactly where you need it.
Memory foam mattresses are great at this, but hybrid mattresses are generally more supportive. Remember to consider your preferences before choosing a mattress.
Pressure relief is one of the best perks you can expect from a soft mattress. Soft mattresses provide better pressure relief in general, as their plush surfaces are better at cradling your pressure points. Look for a foam mattress made of mostly memory foam. Since memory foam provides a comforting ‘hug’ and forms in your body, memory foam mattresses usually reduce the pressure the best.
If you can find a hybrid mattress with a pillow top, you can relieve pressure and get the best possible support.
If you like to sit on the edge of the bed in the mornings (or if you sleep near the edges), you’ll likely need better support in this area. The edges of most mattresses, even soft ones, tend to collapse when you sit or sleep on the edge. A mattress with better edge support includes firmer foam to bolster these areas, creating a firmer experience that won’t sink or slide under your weight. If you are worried about the mattress edges being less supportive than you’d like, look for mattresses with better edge support.
Buying a Soft Mattress Online in Canada
Buying a mattress online is different from purchasing one in a physical store, but the process is somewhat simplified. Instead of driving to a store, dealing with salespeople, and trying to figure out how to get the mattress home (or paying an expensive delivery fee), you can shop from the comfort of your couch.
When you’ve chosen your mattress, it’s shipped right to your door. You can avoid the issue of delivery altogether and have your mattress ready to go in just a few days.
Further, prices are structured a little differently when you purchase online. Online mattress retailers have greatly reduced overhead costs. As a result, mattresses might be less expensive than comparable models available in brick-and-mortar stores.
Unboxing Your Mattress
When you purchase a mattress at a store, getting it set up at home is easy. You just carry it inside, put your bed sheets on, and you’re ready to go. An online mattress Is just as simple to set up, but it requires a few extra steps.
First, your mattress will arrive in a smaller box than you might expect. Mattresses ordered online are compressed to fit in smaller boxes for easier, cheaper shipping. All you have to do is remove the mattress from the box and place it on the foundation of your choice.
Once the mattress is out of the box, you can start cutting the plastic off of it. Once the plastic is cut, the mattress will immediately start expanding to regain its intended shape. Carefully cut all of the plastic away and situate the mattress on the foundation.
From the moment you remove the plastic, you have about 48 hours for the mattress to become the size it was intended to be. During this time, you can’t sleep on the mattress.
While the mattress expands, it may let off a slight odour. This ‘off-gassing’ period usually lasts a couple of days. These fumes are a byproduct of the manufacturing process for most mattresses, and it’s completely normal. If the odour bothers you, make sure to set up proper ventilation until it passes.
Your Sleep Trial and Warranty
Since you can’t try an online mattress in-store, Canadian mattresses in a box use sleep trials to help you decide which mattress you prefer. A sleep trial is a period (usually from 60 days up to 365 days) where you can test your mattress. During this time, you can return the mattress at any time if it doesn’t suit you. The company will give you a full refund of your purchase price and donate the mattress (if possible).
Since it usually takes about 30 days for your body to adjust to a new mattress, you should wait for at least this long to determine if the mattress works for you. Most companies require you to wait at least 30 days to begin the return process during your sleep trial. Keep this in mind during your sleep trial.
If you decide that you want to keep the mattress, you’ll have a warranty. Mattress warranties usually cover manufacturing defects, including deep indents, sagging, and other failures during normal use. Most mattress warranties last about 10 years, though longer warranties are better. Before you choose a mattress based on the warranty, make sure to review the warranty terms. Sometimes, the warranty is very specific about the defects it covers.
Frequently Asked Questions
For anyone needing extra cushioning for joints, or side and stomach sleepers, a softer mattress can be more comfortable. Those who change positions or don’t suffer from any achy joints or back pain may enjoy a softer surface that feels like a hotel mattress.
We featured both all-foam and hybrid mattresses in our review today. All-foam mattresses are made up of multiple layers of different types of foam, whether they are latex, cooling gel or memory foam. A hybrid mattress features a smaller amount of these foam layers, and they are set upon a traditional coil spring base.
Yes! Each one of the soft mattresses that we featured in our review today is manufactured and distributed out of Canadian warehouses, so you can take pride in buying a Canadian product.