Many Canadians suffer from back pain, particularly after waking up on a mattress that isn’t supportive enough. Those who suffer from back pain need better support and pressure relief, no matter how they sleep. If you need a better mattress to reduce aches and discomfort from back pain, this list might be able to help you.
Through months of trials, a gauntlet of performance tests and tester feedback helped us narrow down the list of the best mattresses for back pain in Canada in 2023. Please note that you should consult a health care professional before purchasing a mattress for back pain. If you are experiencing chronic or severe back pain, you should get medical advice before making a purchase.
Spoiler Alert – Here’s Our Pick for Best Mattress for Back Pain in Canada of 2023
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is our top pick for the best mattress for back pain in Canada in 2023. This supportive hybrid mattress offers a blend of plush comfort and firm support. With superior construction, outstanding edge support, and better temperature control than most other options on the market, this mattress is a great option for those with back pain in Canada.
The Best Mattresses for Back Pain in Canada
- Best Overall Mattress for Back Pain – Silk & Snow Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress for Back Pain – Logan & Cove Frontier
- Best Pressure Relief Mattress for Back Pain – Octave Horizon
- Best Organic Mattress for Back Pain – Silk & Snow Organic
- Best Back Pain Mattress for Couples – Endy Hybrid
- Best Budget-Friendly Mattress for Back Pain – Silk & Snow
- Best All Foam Mattress for Back Pain – Douglas Summit
- Best Cooling Mattress for Back Pain – Hush Arctic Luxe
- Best Supportive Mattress for Back Pain – Polysleep Zephyr
Why Did We Choose These Mattresses for Back Pain in Canada?
Each of the mattresses we chose for our list went through a rigorous testing process that combined professional feedback and our own results. During this process, each mattress stood out in its own ways. These standout features became the reasons we chose to recommend these mattresses to you. Here’s why we chose each of the best mattresses for back pain in Canada of 2023.
For the best support and comfort for Canadians with back pain, consider the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress. This option features strong zoned support and a comfortable top section, both of which contribute to better support and comfort for those who need it.
The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress features a plush, comforting top layer, but it also features strong zoned support for those who suffer from back pain. This is the best hybrid mattress for those who need help with lumbar support and pressure relief.
Canadians who tend to wake up in the morning with an aching back, joints or sore pressure points will want to consider the Octave Horizon Mattress. This mattress features unique foam layers designed to help cushion joints and give ultimate lumbar support.
Eco-conscious Canadians will be comfortable on the Silk & Snow Organic Mattress, which is also one of the firmest options on our list. This mattress is made with GOLS and GOTS-certified materials, as well as natural wool.
The Endy Hybrid Mattress features superior motion isolation for couples and co-sleepers. If your partner is often restless, this mattress can reduce any motion from the other side of the bed. This mattress is also extremely supportive for all sleeping positions.
Seeking a great mattress for back pain on a lower budget? Consider the Silk & Snow Mattress. This all-foam option features outstanding pressure relief thanks to the high-density foams used in its construction. This budget-friendly mattress will spring back into shape quickly, reducing pressure over time.
The Douglas Summit Mattress is an all-foam mattress unlike any other. It features a more responsive and responsible construction, with eco-conscious foams and layers of cooling, comforting materials. If you’ve disliked all-foam mattresses before, the Douglas Mattress might be able to change your mind.
If you often wake up with night sweats, consider the Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress. This mattress features a plush pillow top that features three layers of cooling materials to reduce and neutralize heat. This mattress will keep you cool throughout the night.
The Polysleep Zephyr Mattress features the best support on our list. Though it’s an all-foam mattress, the Zephyr features variable firmness depending on the section of the mattress. This means you’ll get the support you need for each part of your body, promoting better alignment.
Best Canadian Mattress for Back Pain Overall
Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is the best Canadian mattress for those with back pain. The firm, supportive coils are zoned to provide additional support right where you need it, reducing strain on your joints and providing a more comfortable sleep experience. With cooling foam and high-density foams, this mattress also reduces pressure so you can sleep comfortably throughout the night.
The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress uses an antimicrobial cover, which prevents bacteria growth throughout the top of the mattress. This helps reduce odours and keeps your mattress fresh and clean for longer. The cover is removable and washable if you need to wash it, but the antimicrobial material means you can do that less often. The first layer of foam within the mattress is a high-quality quilted foam, which provides additional plushness and a cooler sleeping surface. The quilted channels help dispel heat by reducing build-up under you as you sleep.
The middle layer of foam helps reduce pressure and heat. The high-density foam helps relieve deeper pressure than standard memory foam. It retains its shape more quickly than standard memory foam to reduce body indents. This foam is also infused with gel to reduce heat, neutralizing any excess temperature so you sleep more comfortably.
The support layer features zoned pocket coils, with firmer coils throughout the centre of the mattress to reduce strain and body aches. Softer coils in the first third and bottom third of the mattress cushion your shoulders and knees. This prevents the formation of uncomfortable pressure points. Surrounding the coil layer is a perimeter of firm edge support foam, which prevents sinking, sliding, and a lack of support around the edges of the mattress.
- Antimicrobial Cover. The cover of the Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is made of antimicrobial materials, which means bacteria can’t grow on the cover. This reduces odours and reduces allergy triggers.
- Zoned Coils. The coil layer in this hybrid mattress features zoned coils to help prevent back pain, with firmer coils through the middle of the mattress and softer coils under your shoulders and knees.
- Strong Edge Support. The coil layer is surrounded by a firm edge support perimeter. If you sit or sleep on the edge of the mattress, this support prevents you from sinking or sliding at the edge.
- Cooling Foam Layers. The top layers of foam in this mattress are made with high-density quilted foam and gel-infused foam, both of which help reduce heat build-up over time so you won’t wake up too hot in the middle of the night.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Silk & Snow Hybrid Mattress is the best hybrid option for back pain in Canada. This mattress uses layers of cool, responsive foam and zoned coils to create a comfortable sleeping surface.”
Best Canadian Hybrid Mattress for Back Pain
Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress
It's Great For
The Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress is the best hybrid mattress for back pain in Canada in 2023. This mattress has a combination of plush comfort and strong support, particularly from the dual coil layers which help keep you aligned and comfortable. These layers help reduce back pain so you wake up ready to take on your day. The firm support and luxurious materials make this one of the best options on the Canadian market.
This mattress starts with a Euro-Top section, which is a plush top that promotes breathability and helps reduce heat build-up. You’ll fall asleep quickly and comfortably on this plush topper, and the mattress doesn’t sacrifice support as a result. The cover is made with CryoFusion nanofibres, which reduce heat. The Euro-top also includes a layer of breathable hollow fibre and gel-infused foam, which is quilted to the cover.
The first layer of foam within the mattress is made with ecoLuxe gel foam, which is made with less carbon input than standard memory foam. You can rest easier knowing that the mattress is better for the environment. This layer helps with pressure relief, cushioning your joints to reduce strain and keep you comfortable. It also reduces extra body heat, so you won’t wake up with night sweats. Below this layer is the first coil layer, which features 1” Aeroduct Micro Coils. These coils improve breathability and thermal regulation while contouring to your body to provide better support.
Sandwiched between the coil layers is Elastex transition foam. This latex alternative uses soy-infused latex to provide additional cushion and responsiveness, so you don’t feel as though you’re stuck in the mattress. The bottom layer is the supportive coil layer, which includes 9” individually wrapped pocket coils. These coils help isolate motion and provide the alignment you need, thanks in part to the five comfort zones. Firmer coils in the middle of the mattress support your back and hips, while softer coils near your shoulders provide better pressure relief. At the same time, firm coils around the edges prevent collapse, sinking, and sliding if you sit or sleep near the edge of the bed.
- Zoned Support. The coil support layer features five support zones, including firmer coils in the centre of the mattress and softer coils under your shoulders and knees.
- Cooling Cover. The cover of the Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress is made with CryoFusion Cooling Nanofibres, which help reduces heat build-up and keep you comfortable throughout the night.
- Soothing Euro-Top. The top of the mattress is a plush Euro-top, which features hollow-fibre fill and gel-infused foam. It’s soft and comfortable to relax into.
- Two Layers of Support Coils. A first layer of micro coils helps contour to your body to reduce strain, while the strong coil layer below keeps you aligned and comfortable.
Our Expert’s Take
“With an extra layer of support coils, the Logan & Cove Frontier Mattress offers some of the best support for those who need additional support to prevent back pain.”
Best Canadian Pressure Relief Mattress for Back Pain
Octave Horizon Mattress
It's Great For
For Canadians needing deep pressure relief due to back injuries or joint pain, the Octave Horizon is a wonderful choice. With additional features such as temperature control and motion isolation, Canadians needing deep pressure relief with other perks to their mattress will love the Horizon.
The cover of this mattress helps to soothe and cool with breathable fabric infused with CryoFusion nanofibres, which helps keep you comfortable throughout the night by wicking away sweat and moisture. For accidental spills or those with dust allergies, the ability to easily remove and machine wash this cover is an added bonus.
At the top of the Octave Horizon, a thick layer of gel foam helps to reduce temperatures while soothing aches and pains. Those with back issues will appreciate this cooling layer, which gently conforms to your body without feeling trapped in the mattress. Using a combination of copper threading and PolarMAX phase change material, this foam layer keeps the mattress temperature neutral year-round and quickly adapts to changing positions during the night.
While many other all-foam mattresses have just a few layers total, the Octave Horizon features five in its entirety. In the middle of the mattress are the core three layers, which actively work to support restorative sleep. First, a layer of aerated latex foam helps to give the mattress a slightly springy feel. Next, a layer of ecoLuxe gel foam further reduces and regulates body heat while its cooling effect soothes aching muscles and back pain. Last, a layer of Elastex foam works to provide excellent ease of movement, adapting to all sleeping positions without any sinkage or users feeling stuck.
At the bottom of the Octave Horizon, a thick layer of high-density foam creates a durable and stable foundation. This foam layer does not retain heat like many other bases and has built-in air channels that funnel away warm air. Those needing extra support and relief from back and joint pain will deeply benefit from the five-zone support system. This system helps by gently cradling the hips and shoulders while giving firmer support to the back and legs. This ergonomic design alleviates back pain and gives great lumbar support. Canadians who often get woken up due to restless partners or active pets will find this foam foundation provides great motion isolation so you can sleep in peace.
The Octave Horizon is a great choice for any Canadian who regularly suffers back pain and needs deep pressure relief for aching joints. Those who sleep on their side and back often have issues finding proper support, and this mattress does an excellent job. Available in all standard sizes, this mattress is widely available no matter what bed size you are shopping for. With a longer than average 365-night sleep trial, testing this mattress out is virtually risk-free.
- Removable Cooling Cover. Made from breathable fabric infused with cooling CryoFusion Nanofibres, this cover helps to actively wick away heat and moisture no matter how warm you may sleep. For easy cleaning, the cover can be removed and machine washed.
- Latex Foam Layer. Both airy and cooling, this layer of aerated latex is responsive and bouncy but won’t leave you feeling stuck in the mattress.
- ecoLuxe Cooling Gel. This layer of cooling gel foam helps reduce heat throughout the mattress. The responsive surface also soothes aching muscles, including sore backs.
- High-Density Foam Base. With a five-zoned support system, this base is perfect for anyone needing deep pressure relief and lumbar support, no matter what sleeping position you may prefer.
Our Expert’s Take
“Canadians suffering from back pain and also needing pressure point relief will love the Octave Horizon Mattress. With soothing cooling gel foam and a zoned support system, aching joints and backs found relief with this mattress.”
Best Canadian Organic Mattress for Back Pain
Silk & Snow Organic Mattress
It's Great For
Eco-conscious Canadians who need a firmer mattress will love the Silk & Snow Organic Mattress. This option uses GOTS and GOLS-certified materials as well as natural, transparently sourced layers to provide a mattress you can feel good about. It’s also one of the firmest hybrid mattresses on our list, which means you’ll get better support for your body with this mattress as well.
The cover features GOTS-certified Organic Cotton, which is sourced from a textile company in Toronto. The cover is breathable and soft, so you can sleep a little easier. This layer will help you feel comfortable immediately while reducing some higher temperatures through the rest of the mattress. The first layer of the mattress is natural New Zealand wool. This layer is quilted to reduce heat but also acts as a natural fire retardant. This means the rest of the mattress can be free of some chemicals that help with fire resistance. This limits the synthetic materials used to construct the mattress.
The middle layer is GOLS-certified Dunlop latex from Sri Lanka. This organic latex doesn’t use any synthetic materials. While most latex mattresses in Canada do use these chemicals, some users may feel more comfortable with this more natural option. The pocket coil base uses dense springs that are individually pocketed to reduce motion transfer and improve breathability. It features zoned support, so you are properly balanced and aligned.
The coils around the perimeter of the mattress are firmer, which prevents sinking or sliding at the edges. If you sit or sleep near the edge of the mattress, you often lose support as you get closer to the edge. Thankfully, these coils make it comfortable no matter where you sleep on the mattress.
- Certified Organic Materials. All cotton used in the mattress is GOTS certified, while the latex is GOLS certified. The natural wool is also transparently sourced.
- Firm Feel. The coil layer and the firmer foam layers throughout the mattress create an ultra-firm feel that is ideal for those who suffer with back pain.
- Zoned Pocket Coils. The zoned coils are extremely supportive, with firmer coils in the middle of the mattress to support your back and hips.
- Firm Edge Support. The edges of the mattress are bolstered with firm edge support coils, which reduce sinking and sliding around the perimeter of the mattress. You’ll get the same support from one edge to the other.
Our Expert’s Take
“If you prefer an eco-conscious mattress with a firmer, more supportive feel, the Silk & Snow Organic Mattress is a great choice for you.”
Best Canadian Back Pain Mattress for Couples
Endy Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For
If you sleep with a partner (especially one who is often restless), the Endy Hybrid Mattress might solve two of your problems. This mattress is great for those who suffer from back pain, but it also helps actively isolate motion to reduce any disturbances as you sleep. Together, these features can help you stay asleep longer, especially if you are a lighter sleeper who wakes often.
The Endy Hybrid Mattress starts with a quilted cover that immediately makes you comfortable. This cover is lined with foam, which is quilted directly to the cover to provide better comfort and pressure relief immediately. The cover is cool and soft to the touch, making it easy to use any sheets you prefer.
The first layer of foam is Endy’s Comfort Foam, a medium-firm layer that is extremely responsive. The open-cell construction of this foam helps reduce heat by providing better airflow and motion isolation. If you sleep warm, this layer can help reduce the temperature throughout the bed. A layer of transition foam in the middle of the mattress helps with deeper pressure relief and effectively stops all motion from the other side of the bed.
The coil layer features stronger coils around the perimeter of the mattress, which gives you better support all the way to the edges of the mattress. Your hips and lower back are supported with firmer foams through the centre of the mattress, while softer coils through the rest of the mattress reduce strain on your joints.
- Temperature-Neutral Foam. While most memory foam feels different depending on the ambient temperature, the Endy Hybrid Mattress stays the same throughout the year. The temperature-neutral foam won’t change no matter the temperature.
- Motion Isolation. The open-cell foam and individually pocketed coils all help reduce motion, which means you won’t feel it when your partner moves around in the middle of the night.
- Zoned Coil Suppport. The coil layer features comfort zones, with firmer lumbar coils and edge coils. Under your shoulders and knees are softer coils with better pressure relief.
- Extremely Compatible. The Endy Hybrid Mattress works well with most bed frames, including adjustable bed frames, box springs, and slatted frames.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Endy Hybrid Mattress is a great choice for couples, particularly couples with restless partners. The motion isolation and zoned support make this mattress extremely comfortable for those with back pain.”
Best Canadian Budget-Friendly Mattress for Back Pain
Silk & Snow Mattress
It's Great For
Canadians seeking a great all-around mattress with a lower price point should take a deeper look at the Silk & Snow Mattress. This mattress uses high-density foam layers to create a comfortable sleeping environment without needing to spend an exorbitant amount of money. With excellent cooling, pressure relief and ease of movement, the Silk & Snow Mattress has a lot to offer.
The antimicrobial cover reduces odours, so your bed stays clean for longer. Bacteria won’t grow through this mattress cover, so you won’t have to wash it as often. When it is time to wash it you can throw it into the wash with the rest of your laundry. It unzips smoothly and easily from the base of the mattress.
There are three layers of foam within the mattress, including the first layer of high-density memory foam. This is gel memory foam, which is infused with cooling gels so you won’t overheat. This layer neutralizes heat throughout the mattress, so you can stay cool and comfortable throughout the night even if you usually sleep hot.
The middle layer of foam is a transition layer, which works to align your spine and cushion even the deepest pressure points. This layer keeps you elevated out of the mattress, reducing strain from the thick layer of support foam below. The support foam is extremely firm and durable, which provides a strong foundation for your back support. Though this mattress still features stronger support, it has a plusher top layer for those who prefer comfort.
- Washable Antimicrobial Cover. The cover of the Silk & Snow Mattress is both washable and antimicrobial. This prevents the growth of bacteria and prevents odours, keeping your bed clean for longer.
- High-Density Foams. The layers of the Silk & Snow Mattress are made with high-density foams, which are more responsive and regain their shape easier than standard memory foam.
- Durable Construction. The high-density foams and extremely supportive base work to create an extremely durable mattress that will last for years to come.
- Made in Toronto. Every part of this mattress is made and manufactured in Toronto, so you know you’re getting the highest possible quality.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Silk & Snow Mattress is one of the best options for those who need pressure relief and a softer, more comfortable feel than the firmer options on our list. It comes in at a lower cost than many other mattresses.”
Best Canadian All Foam Mattress for Back Pain
The Douglas Summit Mattress
It's Great For
If you need an all-foam mattress that is great for your back pain, consider the Douglas Summit Mattress. Even if you’ve had problems with all foam mattresses in the past, the Douglas might be able to help. It seeks to address every issue usually found in memory foam mattresses, including a ‘quicksand’ feeling, temperature regulation, and more. This mattress is a Canadian staple that you can try in your home for a full year before committing to a purchase.
The Douglas Summit Mattress features three layers of comfortable foam in a cooling cover. The cover is made with Infinitex fibres, which help wick away heat and moisture to help you sleep more comfortably through the night. This cover is soft and comfortable, but you can also zip it off of the mattress to wash it with your sheets to keep your bed fresh.
The top layer of foam is made with ecoLight cooling foam, which uses 40% less carbon input when compared to standard memory foam. It works just like high-density memory foam, creating a responsive and comfortable surface that feels luxurious to lay on. This layer also helps reduce heat with its Polar Temperature Balancing technology, neutralizing higher temperatures so you can rest without waking up too hot in the middle of the night.
The transition layer of foam for this mattress is made with premium Elastex foam, which uses the same properties as natural latex foam. Elastex doesn’t use the chemicals found in natural latex, which may help those who are allergic to latex. The final layer of foam within the mattress is motion isolation support foam, which helps reduce motion from the other side of the mattress. It also helps with support, including edge support.
- Motion Isolation Foam. Every layer of this mattress helps reduce motion transfer, so you won’t feel any motion from the other side of the bed. When your partner tosses and turns, you’ll be sleeping soundly.
- Eco-Conscious Layers. A layer of ecoLight gel foam uses less carbon input, while Elastex is made with fewer chemicals than natural latex. Both are eco-conscious and clean.
- Cooling Cover. The washable cover is made with Infinitex fibres, a sustainable option that wicks away moisture and heat so you stay cool throughout the night.
- Built for All Sleeping Positions. With a medium-firm feel, the Douglas Summit Mattress is engineered for all sleeping positions.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Douglas Summit Mattress is an all-foam mattress that offers more than other options on the Canadian market. This mattress helps solve many common problems with memory foam mattresses.”
Best Canadian Cooling Mattress for Back Pain
Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress
It's Great For
Waking up too hot in the middle of the night is a common issue in Canada. The Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid Mattress is one of the best cooling options in Canada for those who suffer from back pain. This mattress is extremely cool while remaining supportive. It features a plush pillow top to keep you comfortable, which is ideal for those who prefer a softer sleeping surface with intense support from the coil layer below.
The pillow top section of this mattress features three layers of comfortable cooling materials. This includes a phase-changing top layer, which maintains a steady temperature even if you sleep hot. Excess heat is vented down through the rest of the mattress, where it is dispersed through a layer of cooling gel memory foam and graphite foam. These layers both reduce heat, soaking it up and moving it away from you. The graphite-infused foam removes the rest of the thermal temperature in the mattress, so you won’t wake up with night sweats no matter what.
This section is separated from the rest of the mattress with a pillow-top separator, which keeps you well-supported and helps elevate you out of the core of the mattress. Below the separator is a layer of transition foam, which works to relieve any remaining pressure you may feel. This layer also helps reduce motion transfer, so you can sleep peacefully even when your partner is tossing and turning.
The supportive core of the mattress uses a layer of firm 8” pocket coils. The coils in the centre of the mattress are firmer, so your hips and back get more support than the rest of your body. This is ideal because it prevents pressure and strain from affecting your joints, which need a softer touch than your back and hips. This is ideal if you sleep on your side, and particularly for heavier side sleepers. These coils are surrounded by a perimeter of supportive foam, which helps reduce any loss of support at the edges of the mattress. Some mattresses fold when you sit or sleep too close to the edge, but the Hush Arctic Luxe Hybrid supports your effortlessly.
- Cooling Pillow Top. The pillow top section provides additional cooling features, reducing higher temperatures so you won’t wake up throughout the night.
- Responsive and Comfortable. A combination of a plush top, comfortable, responsive foam, and coils make this mattress more responsive and comfortable than you might expect.
- Zoned Pocket Coils. The pocket coil layer is zoned for better hip and lumbar support, including firmer coils throughout the centre of the mattress and softer coils at the shoulders for better pressure relief.
- Great Support and Alignment. The coil layer provides better alignment and support than most other mattresses on the Canadian market.
Our Expert’s Take
“This mattress is extremely supportive, but it’s also cool. Those who have back pain but also need better temperature control will love the way this mattress feels.”
Best Canadian Supportive Mattress for Back Pain
Polysleep Zephyr Mattress
It's Great For
The Polysleep Zephyr Mattress features some of the best support on our list. Though it’s an all-foam mattress, it features zoned support and additional technologies to help keep you comfortable and well-supported throughout the night. You’ll wake up without any back pain, especially if you sleep on your side or back.
This mattress is also the firmest mattress on our list. It’s definitely one of the firmest medium-firm mattresses we’ve tried, with eight different layers of materials to help reduce sagging and prevent discomfort in your back and hips. First, you’ll encounter the cover, which features Nanobionic Technology. This layer helps reflect infrared heat, which helps you recover after your most active days. This layer won’t allow you to get too warm due to the multiple cooling layers below.
These layers include a layer of phase-changing KulKote material. This thin fabric layer is phase-changing, which helps maintain a constant temperature without adding additional heat. Below is the first layer of the mattress, which includes GelFlex Plus-infused foam. This foam maintains a constant temperature of 31ºC, so you can stay cozy without experiencing any additional heat. The top layer of the mattress is made of antimicrobial foam, which prevents the growth of bacteria. Your mattress will be odour-free and free of allergy triggers as a result.
The next layer is a transition layer which supports motion isolation. If your partner tosses and turns, this layer isolates motion so you won’t feel it. This layer also features zoned support, with firm foam in the centre of the mattress to better support your back and hips. The supportive foam layer helps align your spine, reinforcing the features of the rest of the mattress. This support foam layer is surrounded by an edge support frame. This frame helps bolster the edges of the mattress, ensuring that you aren’t going to slide off the mattress if you sit or sleep near the edge.
- Tailored Support. The transition layer properly aligns your spine by providing different levels of support for each part of your body, with firmer foams in the centre of the mattress to help support your hips.
- Multiple Cooling Technologies. Three layers of technology, including phase-changing foam, an infrared foam layer, and the GelFlex Plus infused foam all help reduce temperature to keep you cool.
- Antimicrobial Foam. The top layer of this mattress features antimicrobial foam, which prevents the growth of bacteria and reduces allergy triggers.
- Ideal for Alignment. Alignment is critical to ensure that your back isn’t aching in the morning. The alignment and support you get from this mattress reduce aches and keep you comfortable throughout the night.
Our Expert’s Take
“With so much additional support and technology, the Polysleep Zephyr mattress is a great option for those who often suffer from back pain and need additional support.”
Comparing the Best Back Pain Mattresses in Canada
|Best Overall||Silk & Snow Hybrid||Medium-Firm (6.5)||100 Nights||Hybrid||$725 – $1,000|
|Best Hybrid||Logan & Cove Frontier||Medium-Firm (6.5)||365 Nights||Hybrid||$999 – $1,499|
|Best Pressure Relief||Octave Horizon||Medium-Firm (6.5)||365 Nights||All Foam||$1,199 – $1,699|
|Best Organic||Silk & Snow Organic||Medium-Firm (7)||100 Nights||Hybrid||$950 – $1700|
|Best for Couples||Endy Hybrid||Medium-Firm (6)||100 Nights||Hybrid||$950 – $1,450|
|Best Budget-Friendly||Silk & Snow||Medium-Firm (5.5)||100 Nights||All Foam||$675 – $900|
|Best All Foam||Douglas Summit||Medium-Firm (6.5)||120 Nights||All Foam||$999 – $1,399|
|Best Cooling||Hush Arctic Luxe||Medium-Firm (7)||100 Nights||Hybrid||$1,395 – $2,195|
|Best Support||Polysleep Zephyr||Medium-Firm (7.5)||100 Nights||All Foam||$999 – $1,299|
How Did We Test These Back Pain Mattresses for Canadians?
To recommend these mattresses to you, our detail-oriented testers performed extensive tests and evaluations for each mattress. We looked at the best the Canadian-made mattress market had to offer for back pain, including a lot of mattresses that didn’t end up making our list. We looked at how each mattress felt, how it performed, and what it was made of. Our testers were a diverse group, including all sleeping positions and body types. We compared notes from each of our testers to arrive at these recommendations.
When testing these mattresses, we ran various tests, especially when it came to a few specific performance areas.
- Support. When dealing with back pain, a mattress has to offer amazing support. Mattresses with zoned or targeted support are especially good, as they help reduce strain on your back.
- Temperature Control. Foam mattresses are comfortable, but they often retain more heat than is comfortable. Mattresses with temperature control features help remove heat from the mattress, ensuring you sleep through the night without overheating.
- Motion Isolation. No matter how you sleep, motion from the other side of the bed can wake you up. Whether you’re co-sleeping with children, pets, or a restless partner, motion isolation is an important part of a restful sleeping experience.
- Pressure Relief. Memory foam is great at relieving pressure. This can reduce pressure points, meaning you’ll wake up with less overall soreness. Pressure relief also measures how well a mattress forms in your body, which is especially important for back pain sufferers.
Which Mattress is Best for Back Pain in Canada?
Back pain is common, but there are several factors that can influence back pain. Each person is different and might have different preferences when it comes to a mattress that can make their back pain more bearable. That’s why you should visit a healthcare provider before committing to a mattress. Your doctor should be able to help you identify areas where your pain can be improved.
Regardless, there are a few things to consider before moving forward with your mattress selection process. You should look at the type of mattress in a box you want, the firmness you need, and more.
Type of Mattress
What is the mattress made of? Each type of mattress is defined by the materials inside. While there are a few different types of mattresses on the Canadian market (and beyond), these are the options that feature prominently on our list.
- All-foam mattresses are usually made of memory foam, though some all-foam mattresses also combine memory foam layers with latex. These mattresses cradle and conform to your body, so you’ll always have support where you need it most. Memory foam becomes softer with your body heat, but it regains shape quickly. Latex is cooler and more responsive but doesn’t offer the same cradling feeling as memory foam.
- Hybrid mattresses use foam layers and coils, though the coils are a little different from traditional innerspring mattresses. Springs used in hybrid mattresses are individually pocketed, providing customized support for your body type. Hybrids provide the best of both innerspring and memory foam mattresses.
While both of these mattress types can be great for eliminating back pain, it’s important that you choose the option that is most comfortable for you. Comfort is personal, and the first chance to choose the right option for you is to purchase the right type of mattress for your sleeping style.
Firmness and Back Pain
Each mattress is rated at a certain firmness. Generally, this can indicate how supportive the mattress is, as well as how it feels when you lay on it. Firmness is one of the biggest factors that can help you choose a mattress. However, those who suffer from back pain should choose one firmness level above all others if they have the chance.
While your preferred firmness can be different, studies have shown that medium-firm mattresses can help reduce back pain. They provide the perfect balance of support and cushion to be comfortable without creating more pain.
Despite this, you should choose the firmness that best suits your needs. You might prefer a firmer or softer mattress, but make sure that you take your back pain into account before deciding on firmness.
Why Do Body Type and Sleeping Position Matter?
Your body type and sleeping position can determine your mattress preferences, including your preferred firmness. While medium-firm mattresses are the best choice for those with back pain, your preferences may be different depending on these factors.
- Stomach sleepers and those weighing less than 59kg tend to prefer a soft or medium-soft mattress.
- Side sleepers and those weighing between 59kg and 104kg usually prefer medium mattresses.
- Back sleepers and those weighing more than 104kg might like a firm or medium-firm mattress.
These are general recommendations. Even if you meet these parameters, you might have different mattress preferences. Always mind your preferences. These recommendations can serve as a starting point, though.
As we mentioned above, we evaluated the mattresses on our list based on a handful of performance features. Here are some of the categories we used to compare these mattresses. Each of these performance areas can help improve the way you sleep and help you wake up ready to take on the day.
Most Canadians sleep hot. Generating heat while you sleep is common, but most foam mattresses tend to retain heat. This can lead to interrupted sleep or waking up uncomfortably overheated and sweaty. Thankfully, foam mattresses have come a long way since they were introduced. Now, most offer some temperature control features.
If you sleep hot, try looking for mattresses that offer perforated foam, cooling gel foam, or enhanced airflow features to keep you cooler. Other options, such as open-cell foam, may reduce heat enough to keep you asleep as well. Breathable materials, including a breathable cover and even pillow-top or Euro-top fill, are always better for temperature control.
Support is an important feature when it comes to back pain. Take a close look at the composition of the mattress. Hybrids offer increased support, but features like zoned support can really help you sleep a little more comfortably. Mattresses marketed to help with back pain should include a great support structure, so make sure to look at the mattress’s layers to get an idea of how supportive it will be.
A good support layer also helps with alignment, keeping your spine straight and your joints well-supported throughout the mattress. It’s important for those who regularly suffer with back pain to have proper support and alignment, so these are extremely important factors to look for in a mattress.
Pressure relief is essential for dealing with back pain and soreness. Foam mattresses are great at pressure relief, so most all-foam mattresses will be great for relieving pressure points. Look for soft transition layers. Pillow-top hybrids are also great at helping balance your body and relieve pressure all over.
Some mattresses that are ideal for back pain are a bit firmer and don’t relieve pressure as well. If you need additional pressure relief, be sure to pay attention to the way the mattress is constructed.
Some foam mattresses suffer from sagging edges, making it a pain to sit or sleep near the edge. Thankfully, some have included perimeter support for better results. If you often sit on the edge of the bed in the mornings, choosing a mattress with edge support included can help reduce the slipping or sliding feeling of mattresses with less edge support.
If you need additional edge support, choose options with edge support perimeter foam and hybrid coils.
If you co-sleep or sleep with a partner, you know that motion isolation can be a great feature to have. Motion can often transfer from your partner’s side of the mattress to yours. If they’re tossing and turning, chances are that it will wake you as well. Foam mattresses are better at isolating motion because of their materials, but hybrid mattresses can also provide better motion isolation than traditional innerspring mattresses might.
If you need additional motion isolation, you should look for foam or hybrid mattresses that offer open-cell foam layers. Soft transition layers and latex foams can also help isolation motion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Medium-firm mattresses are best for back pain in Canada. It is commonly stated that firmer mattresses are best for back pain, but this is a misconception. Medium-firm offers the best support and feel for those who stuffer with chronic back pain as they sleep.
Both memory foam and hybrid mattresses can be great for aches, especially back pain. Both types of mattresses can be extremely supportive and comfortable, with enough pressure relief and alignment to reduce back pain throughout the night. You should choose a mattress that features additional lumbar support, as supportive mattresses can help reduce back pain overall.
Zoned supports can provide targeted relief in specific areas of the body, such as the lower back. Euro tops and pillow tops add an extra layer of cushioning, which can alleviate pressure points. Other accessories like ergonomically designed pillows may also be beneficial to align the spine and neck. These additions can be tailored to individual needs and preferences, working in conjunction with the mattress to provide optimal back pain relief.
Firmer mattresses are not necessarily ideal for back pain. In fact, a firm mattress might make back pain worse. Choose a medium-firm mattress when possible, but you should ultimately choose a mattress that is most comfortable for you.
Adjustable beds in Canada offer the ability to change sleeping positions, aiding in back pain relief. Hybrid and foam mattresses are particularly suitable options, as they flex and move with the adjustable bed’s mechanisms. These types of mattresses can contour to various positions, providing targeted support and alleviating pressure points. When purchasing an adjustable bed and mattress in Canada, it’s essential to check the product description or consult with the retailer to ensure that the mattress is designed to work with an adjustable base.