Comforter sets provide an easy way to add comfort and style to your sleeping arrangements. They are also breathable, lightweight, and can fit all Canadian seasons. There are many comforter set options available, and you might find yourself needing some help to narrow them all down.
We’re here to help with that. After extensive research and evaluation, we’ve created an exhaustive selection of the best comforter sets in Canada for 2023. When we chose these options for you, we looked at performance features like available sizes, colour options, fill options, shell materials, and more. Let’s take a look at some of the best comforter sets for Canadians.
Best Comforter Sets for Canadians in 2023
- Best Overall: Silk & Snow Down Alternative Duvet
- Best Down Duvet: Silk & Snow Canadian Down Duvet
- Best Patterned: Utopia Bedding Printed Comforter Set
- Best All-Season: Amazon Basics Microfibre Comforter Set
- Best Colour Options: Bare Home Comforter Set
- Best Lightweight: HIG 3pc Down Alternative Comforter Set
- Best Breathable: Decroom Comforter Set
- Best Goose Down Duvet: Canadian Down & Feather Company Hutterite Goose Down Duvet
- Best Craftsmanship: Maple & Stone Comforter Set
- Best Cooling: Benji Cooling Duvet Comforter
- Best Warm Comforter: Amazon Basics Ultra-Soft Micromink Comforter Set
Why Did We Choose These Comforter Sets in Canada?
In our test lab, we evaluated each of the comforter sets we are recommending to you based on various factors. Between the feedback from these tests and our own at-home tester feedback, we began to notice that they stood out to us in very specific ways. We chose to recommend the mattresses on this list based on the following standout performances.
The Silk & Snow Down Alternative Duvet is our favourite comforter set in Canada. This duvet offers three weight options, so you can choose how warm you want it to be. The alternative microfibre fill is breathable and soft.
What about a down duvet? The Silk & Snow Canadian Down Duvet offers ethically and sustainably sourced duck down as a luxurious fill. This duvet comes in two weight options, but it’s perfectly breathable no matter which you choose.
Utopia Bedding’s Printed Comforter Set is the best-printed option on our list. While most of our other options include solid colours, this comforter set comes in various fretwork patterns and colours, great for different bedroom themes!
The Amazon Basics Microfibre Comforter Set includes 7 king-sized pieces made from ultra-soft polyester microfibre with a plush filling. This set is a great choice for all-seasons, and suits Canadian bedrooms and guest rooms thanks to its convenient bed-in-a-bag design. It is easy to maintain and to store.
The Bare Home Comforter Set is the best comforter set in Canada when it comes to decor. It has 25 colour options available, oversized sizes, and is simple to care for. The down alternative microfibre is extremely plush and comfortable, too.
If you sleep hot, consider the lightweight HIG 3pc Down Alternative Comforter Set. This option uses a thinner comforter than the others, so you can cool off a little as you sleep.
The Decroom Comforter Set is a convenient option with a solid box stitch design and 4 corner tabs that make it easy to use in combination with a duvet. The comforter set is machine washable for extra convenience, and includes the double-quilted comforter as well as 2 pillow cases.
This Canadian Down & Feather Company’s Hutterite Goose Down Duvet offers Canadians the best option for goose-down fill. Hutterite-raised geese are renowned for their soft feathers and down, so this Canadian-made duvet offers a cozy and luxurious feel and is also available in two weight options.
The Maple & Stone Comforter Set has 7 pieces and features a stylish pinch pleat design with solid colour. It is a soft and fluffy option thanks to the brushed microfibre and down-like filling for extra padding. This set showcases impressive craftsmanship with tight stitching and clever design that is expertly calculated.
The Benji Cooling Duvet Comforter is the best cooling comforter for Canadians. The ultra-cooling gel fibre-down alternative delivers the same luxury and softness as down without the weight or heat. This lightweight comforter regulates temperature while also drawing sweat from the body, ensuring sleepers are cool and dry.
If you often get cold during the night, consider choosing the Amazon Basics Ultra-Soft Micromink Sherpa Comforter Set. This set is reversible, and one side uses a faux Sherpa to help retain heat and keep you cozy. A multitude of colour options makes this option great for most Canadian bedrooms.
Silk & Snow Down Alternative Duvet
It's Great For:
The Silk & Snow Down Alternative Duvet is the first duvet on our list. A duvet isn’t all that different from a comforter and may allow a wider range of options and styles to fit your needs. Duvets should be used with duvet covers. While it might seem like a hassle, these covers make it easy to clean your duvet, change your style, and use your duvet for longer. Duvet cover options like the Silk & Snow Percale Duvet Cover offer a range of colours. They are easy to install and care for, so your duvet lasts for many years to come.
Duvets like this one also feature better-quality fill distributed across the surface of the blanket. The Silk & Snow Alternative Duvet comes in three different weight options, including a lightweight option that is thinner for those who sleep hot. The all-season option works to keep you cool during the hot summers and warm in the winter, while the winter weight is fluffy and dense, providing much-needed warmth.
You can choose the option that works best for you. If the duvet and duvet cover match in size, you can choose whichever cover you like. This means a range of materials, feels, and colours are open to you. This duvet uses a hypoallergenic down alternative fill, which is made from recycled plastic bottles. This means it’s more sustainable than some of the other options on our list.
The cotton exterior is breathable and smooth, so you won’t have a problem with overheating. Like most duvets, it features built-in loops at the corners to help install inside a duvet cover. The duvet itself only needs to be washed a few times a year if used with a cover, but you can wash it in your machine at home.
If you want to try out a more luxurious option than the standard comforter set, consider this duvet. It’s a great introduction to what a duvet can offer, especially when it comes to weight options.
- 3 Weight Options. This Silk & Snow option comes in 3 different weight options: lightweight, all-season, and winter. It allows you to pick the best weight option for you, and if you love the set you can get a few of them so you can switch between them throughout the year.
- Down Alternative Fill. To avoid allergy triggers, this set features a hypoallergenic down alternative fill to keep you comfortable. This is also an eco-conscious fill, as it is made from recycled plastic bottles.
- Square Baffle Design. This design is stylish and keeps the fill from moving as you use the duvet. The fill inside of your duvet can clump and shift as you use it, but this design keeps it right where you want it.
- Easy to Maintain. This option is machine washable, which makes it easy to clean and to store when not in use. You won’t have to go through any extra steps to get your duvet clean.
Our Expert’s Take
“This set has various weight options for extra comfort range, and uses an alternative down fill that is eco-conscious and hypoallergenic.”
Best Down Duvet
Silk & Snow Canadian Down Duvet
It's Great For:
Looking for a pure down duvet? The Silk & Snow Canadian Down Duvet has you covered. This option feels great, but it also comes without an extra helping of guilt. That’s because the 100% Hutterite duck down inside is sustainably sourced and ethically gathered right here in Canada. If you worry about down practices, this duvet can help you sleep a little easier. The down is framed in baffle boxes, so it doesn’t shift around and leave you too cold.
There are two weight options to choose from. The all-season option works to keep you warm in the winter but provides breathability in the summer, so you don’t overheat. If you often wake up hot no matter what, you can choose the lightweight option to sleep a little more comfortably.
This duvet, like most options, works best when you use it with a duvet cover. The cover reduces wear and tear on the duvet. It also keeps your duvet clean, since you can take the cover off and wash it separately. This is particularly important on a duvet like this one, which can only be spot cleaned or cleaned professionally.
There are a ton of duvet options to choose from, including smooth options and crisper covers with texture and character. Consider options like the Silk & Snow Flax Linen Duvet Cover if you’re looking for an entirely different bedding experience.
Overall, this option is incredibly soft, and fluffy, and won’t keep you up at night. If you want to be able to choose exactly how fluffy the duvet is, you can choose one of the weight options to get the most from the duvet. Thankfully, this duvet comes with a 100-night risk-free trial. If you’re on the fence about down duvets, don’t be afraid to try it out!
- Better Insulation. The higher fill in this Silk & Snow option provides extensive insulation, which makes it great for long Canadian winters.
- Sustainably-Sourced. This option includes 100% Hutterite duck down that is ethically gathered in Canada. Lovers of down can enjoy this eco-conscious approach without sacrificing the luxurious feel.
- 2 Weight Options. It comes with 2 weight options, one for all seasons and one lightweight. This can help you personalize what you want to get from the duvet and how it can best suit your preferences.
- Durable Option. The Silk & Snow Canadian Down Duvet is made with a breathable cotton shell. This makes it durable, smooth, and soft to the touch. It’s comfortable even outside of a duvet cover.
Our Expert’s Take
“This Silk & Snow Canadian Down Duvet provides luxurious comfort in an ethical way. The down used inside the duvet is gathered in accordance with ethical down standards throughout Canada.”
Utopia Bedding Printed Comforter Set
It's Great For:
The Utopia Bedding Printed Comforter Set features a beautiful fretwork design across every one of the available colour options. Some of these options are quatrefoil quilted, meaning that the fill is more evenly distributed. Still, you won’t have to sacrifice comfort for style with this comforter set. Colour options like plum, teal, chocolate, red, and navy are made to match your colourful bedroom décor, while the fretwork design adds a stylish touch.
The outside of each comforter is made of brushed microfibre, a polyester blend that feels soft and comfortable to the touch. If you don’t sleep with a top sheet, this is one of the best options for you. It’s extremely smooth on your skin and only gets softer when it’s washed. It’s also extremely durable, meaning you don’t have to worry about tears or snags.
The fill inside is a down-alternative polyester. It’s not a thin comforter by any means, and there is enough loft to the fill to make it feel luxurious. This all-season comforter features just enough fill to be breathable and cool when it’s hot. It also retains enough heat when it’s cold to help keep you warm.
Utopia Bedding’s Printed Comforter set comes in four standard sizes, including Twin, Full, King, and Queen. There are 11 options to choose from when it comes to colour and stitching patterns, so there are options for all. Each set comes with one comforter and a pillow sham, with larger sizes offering two pillow shams.
- Duvet Feel. This Utopia bedding set includes a comforter that feels like a duvet, from the weight to the loft, providing even more comfort.
- Hypoallergenic Materials. The set is made from hypoallergenic materials and the comforter is filled with polyester that acts as a down alternative.
- Exciting Patterns. If you are looking for a set that stands out, this one offers a range of colourful patterns and designs, including fretwork quatrefoils.
- Extra Softness. The comforter set comes with a brushed microfibre cover that provides additional softness to Canadian sleepers.
Our Expert’s Take
“This colourful set is made from hypoallergenic materials and provides excellent comfort.”
Amazon Basics Microfibre Comforter Set
It's Great For:
The Amazon Basics Microfibre Comforter Set has a bed-in-a-bag design that ensures the easy conversion of any bed into a cozy haven within minutes. This set includes 7 pieces: a reversible comforter, a flat sheet, a fitted sheet, 2 shams, and 2 pillowcases. Ideal for a guest room or for creating easy comfort in your bedroom, this set brings ease to the art of resting. It’s also our choice for the best all-season comforter set in Canada for 2023.
The exterior of the comforter is made from ultra-soft 100% 85 GSM polyester microfibre for enhanced softness and a smooth feeling. The filling is made from 100% plush polyester, which keeps it lightweight but also suitable for all-season use. For additional convenience, the set can be machine washed on cold using a gentle cycle, and even tumble dried on low.
This option from Amazon Basics offers great quality and comfort for its price and is known for its impressive softness. The colours are fade-resistant and the materials are durable. The comforter provides great coverage, and you have a selection of sizes to choose from to make sure you get the best out of it. The weight of the comforter is light, but still enough to keep you cozy in any Canadian weather.
The bright colours add to the stylish design, which can fit well with any interior decor, especially as you can choose from several options to personalize the set. When not in use, you can easily store the set away until it is next needed. Once it is folded and stored, you won’t have to deal with too many wrinkles when you use it again.
- Bright Colours. The bright design is fade-resistant even through a series of washes. The eye-catching colour selections can enhance the appeal of a room.
- Lightweight Build. The lightweight and breathable materials used with this set still have enough weight to keep you cozy at night.
- Great for Any Season. This option from Amazon Basics can be used in any Canadian weather without losing any of the comfort.
- 7 Pieces. The set comes with 7 pieces, including a reversible comforter and 2 types of sheets. This makes it a great choice for those looking for easy comfort.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Amazon Basics Microfibre Comforter Set is a convenient comforter set that that offers great value. Regardless of the lower cost, this set is extremely comfortable and high-quality.”
Best Colour Options
Bare Home Comforter Set
It's Great For:
The Bare Home Comforter Set uses a comfortable microfibre cover and down alternative microfibre fill to create a comfortable, lofty feel for your bed. This modern design uses box stitching to keep the microfibre fill in place, preventing it from clumping and moving throughout the comforter. The fill won’t settle on one side or the other, so you’ll get consistent comfort throughout. There are 25 colour options available, including standard neutrals and some patterned options, along with brighter purples, pinks, reds, and mint greens. You can also choose from three heathered options if you prefer that look.
However you want to style your bedroom, this comforter has an option for you. It also features great all-season comfort, so you no longer have to switch your blankets out depending on the weather. The comforter features enough fill to keep you warm in the winter, but it’s also breathable enough to prevent overheating in the summer. If you sleep hot but still want to be cozy, this comforter offers a nice compromise.
The down-alternative microfibre fill is hypoallergenic, meaning that your allergies won’t be triggered by the fill. Users that experience allergic reactions to down fill will find that they sleep much easier with this comforter.
This comforter set includes one comforter and one pillow sham. You can choose one of the six standard mattress sizes, but the oversized queen and king-sized comforters are available as well. This size option is ideal if you prefer your comforter to hang over the sides of the bed. It’s easy to care for this comforter, too. You can put it in the washing machine on a cold, gentle cycle. After, either air dry or tumble dry on the lowest dryer setting for best results.
- Hypoallergenic Option. This comforter set is a great fit for Canadians suffering from allergies. The microfibre fill is a down alternative that can help prevent common allergy triggers.
- Durable Build. The Bare Home set is designed for durability, especially with the hydro-brushed materials it uses. It will last for a long time, so you won’t have to buy another comforter set to replace it.
- Convenient Box Stitching. The box stitching on this comforter set provides comfort, style, and convenience by keeping the filling in place without allowing it to clump together.
- Good for All Seasons. The Bare Home comforter set is a practical choice for the whole year, so you can go on enjoying its comfort no matter the season.
Our Expert’s Take
“This comforter set was soft and durable. We loved the bright colours and oversize options, too.”
HIG 3pc Down Alternative Comforter Set
It's Great For:
Sometimes, you don’t want a heavy comforter weighing you down. The HIG 3pc Down Alternative Comforter is your solution. This comforter is on the lightweight side, though it’s perfect for all seasons. The thinner fill level allows for greater breathability and makes it ideal for use during all seasons. If you want a comforter that you can use throughout the seasons, this might be the best option for you.
HIG’s Comforter Set is hypoallergenic as well, so those who suffer from allergies can be comfortable. The fabrics used in this comforter are certified by OEKO-TEX, meaning they are safe for humans to use. The box quilting helps keep the fibrefill right where it belongs instead of allowing it to shift all over the comforter.
There are 21 different colour options available, and all of them are completely reversible. This means you’re getting two comforters in one! You can choose options like purple with a lavender side, black with a burgundy side, and a blue comforter with a dark grey side. Ready to change up your bedroom décor? Just reverse your comforter and you’re ready to redecorate.
You can get the HIG 3pc Down Alternative Comforter Set in three sizes: Twin/Twin XL, Full/Queen, King/California King. Next time you’re looking for a comforter that works perfectly in the summertime, consider this comforter set!
- Colour Variety. There are 21 colour options for this set, which simplifies the task of finding the right one for your intended use.
- All-Season Comfort. This comforter set from HIG can provide ample coziness year-round thanks to the breathable build.
- Hypoallergenic Design. The comforter set is made from hypoallergenic materials that are also odour-resistant so you can enjoy the freshness for longer.
- Lightweight. This HIG option features a lightweight construction that can suit your needs at any time.
Our Expert’s Take
“This lightweight comforter set is made from breathable hypoallergenic materials and offers a wide range of colours.”
Decroom Comforter Set
It's Great For:
The Decroom Comforter Set is a 3-piece set with a quilted comforter/duvet insert and 2 matching pillow shams. This stylish option has a modern look and is made from 100% polyester filled with premium microfibre. There is a solid box stitch design with 4 corner tabs that make it easy to insert a duvet. This box stitch design keeps the filling of the comforter in place even through constant use.
The Decroom set requires little maintenance. Place it in the washing machine when you want to freshen it up, and set it on a gentle program using cold water. You can then air dry it or run it through the dryer on a low setting. The filling will react to the heat of the sun or of the dryer and will automatically fluff back up as it dries.
This soft and breathable comforter set feels smooth and delicate to the touch, and is suitable for all ages. It can keep any Canadian comfortable as they sleep, especially as it is a lightweight option. The excellent plush comfort it offers makes it stand out among other options.
This option from Decroom can assist with restful sleep, as it usually remains cool through the night thanks to the materials it uses. While the lightweight design is a plus, it still offers enough weight to make you feel cradled during the night, which can create a better sleeping experience.
As well as comfortable, the Decroom set is sturdy and the materials used to manufacture it contribute to keeping the colours in great condition and preventing fade.
- Modern Look. The modern design of the set complements well with any personal style or interior design. There are a few different colours to choose from, too.
- Box Stitching. This type of stitch keeps the microfibre filling in its right place and prevents clumping even with plenty of use.
- Soft and Breathable. This lightweight option is made from breathable materials that are plush and soft to the touch. This comforter is less likely to get too hot.
- Easy Maintenance. The set is machine-washable and can be used in the dryer on low. The filling will fluff up as it dries, meaning your comforter is always fluffy and soft.
Our Expert’s Take
“This comforter set is a lightweight option with a stylish design. It’s easy to maintain at home, with no special care instructions to trip you up.”
Best Goose Down Duvet
Canadian Down & Feather Company Hutterite Goose Down Duvet
It's Great For:
Canadians looking for a luxurious sleep experience will find it with Canadian Down & Feather Company’s Hutterite Goose Down Duvet. Made in Canada with Canadian fill, this high-quality duvet delivers 700-loft Hutterite goose-down fill encased in a 400-thread shell which helps keep the duvet inside the cover.
The fluffy, high-loft down fill in the Hutterite Goose Down Duvet is made up of small clusters that ensure the duvet is warm without being too heavy. Hutterite-raised geese are renowned for their soft feathers and down, offering a cozy, plush duvet that is both soft and quiet. The shell is made from high-quality cotton, which allows the down to breathe so it remains fresh and lofty.
The Canadian Down & Feather Company has delivered a high-quality duvet that pays careful attention to detail. The duvet available in Regular Weigh (designed for room temperatures between 19 and 21 degrees C) and All Season Weight (designed for room temperatures between 16 – 18 degrees C). You’ll also find loops at each corner of the duvet to keep it in place when you use a duvet cover. You should use a duvet cover to maintain the longevity of your duvet. It comes with a 25-year guarantee against manufacturing defects, too.
The Hutterite Goose Down Duvet is hypoallergenic and antimicrobial to eliminate bacteria. It comes in a wide range of sizes, including Twin, Double, Queen, King, XL Queen, XL King. The careful attention to detail, the wide selection of sizes and weights, and the commitment to comfort make this duvet an excellent choice for Canadians looking to balance quality with luxury.
- Two Weight Options. This duvet is available in Regular Weight, ideal for moderate room temperatures, and All-Season Weight, which is ideal for cooler room temperatures.
- Hutterite White Goose Down. Farmed by the Canadian Hutterites in Alberta, this high-quality down is world-renowned.
- Corner Loops. This duvet has loops on all four corners designed to anchor the duvet in place within a duvet cover. It is recommended to use a duvet cover to help maintain your duvet.
- Guaranteed Quality. This duvet comes with a 25-year guarantee against manufacturing defects.
Our Expert’s Take
“The Canadian Down & Feather Company Hutterite Goose Down Duvet is a comfortable duvet that is available in two different weight options, making it ideal for most Canadians.”
Maple & Stone Comforter Set
It's Great For:
The Maple & Stone Comforter Set is a beautiful 7-piece option featuring a sophisticated minimalist design. It is made from brushed microfibre with a polyester filling that provides an excellent alternative to down. The design features a solid colour of your choice and a pinch pleat design that is elegant and fashionable.
The 7 pieces included with the set are: a comforter, 2 pillowcases, 1 flat sheet, 1 fitted sheet, and 2 pillow shams. This allows Canadians to have easy access to comfort whenever they need to change a bed. Every pleat involved in the design has been carefully measured and planned to hit the best notes for the design, while the tight stitching keeps the filling in place and prevents clumping.
This set is an ideal choice for adults and teenagers looking for stylish comfort. Those suffering from down allergies can also enjoy this set thanks to the down alternative filling. The set is easy to maintain. You can place it in the washing machine and use it with a gentle program and cold water. Once that’s done, you can air dry it in the sunshine or use it in the dryer on low.
The lightweight and breathable materials make this set easy to use in any season, so you can enjoy the comfort it provides year-round if you wish. The sheets included with the set provide great protection for your mattress and feel smooth to the touch, which can create a more luxurious sleeping experience.
- Impressive Craftsmanship. The design of the set is all about elegance and thought out in every detail. This set looks and feels great.
- Great for Adults and Teenagers. This set can be a great choice for both adults and teenagers, as it adds a touch of coziness and elegance to any bedroom.
- Comfort in All Seasons. The set can be used in any season and will provide the same great comfort year-round. You’ll stay warm in the winter and cooler throughout the summer.
- Down Alternative. People with allergies to down can enjoy the great quality of this set with peace of mind. It uses a filling made from polyester that acts as a down alternative.
Our Expert’s Take
“This elegant comforter set is extremely well-made, with a sophistocated design that will look great in your bedroom. The pinch pleats are classy, and it offers unparalleled comfort.”
Benji Cooling Duvet Comforter
It's Great For:
For Canadians who are living with nightly sweating, the Benji Cooling Duvet Comforter could be key to a solid night’s sleep. The ultra-cooling gel fibre down alternative used in the Benji comforter is designed to deliver the same softness as down without the weight, heat, and potential allergens of cotton alternatives. Unlike traditional cotton, which absorbs sweat, this lightweight comforter is designed to draw sweat away from the body so it can evaporate. You’ll wake up dry and cool instead of overheated.
The outer shell of the Benji comforter is made with double-brushed microfiber, 1,500 threads per square inch, ensuring a soft and plush feel for sleepers, while the all-season cooling gel-fibre, regulates cool and warm body temperatures, ensuring that individuals who lean toward being warm when they sleep remain cool and sleepers who run cool remain warm.
Unlike many cotton alternatives, the airy Benji Cooling Duvet Comforter is both hypoallergenic and antimicrobial. This helps to prevent breakouts and allergic reactions. An OEKO-TEX Standard-100 Certification means the duvet is tested to be safe for human use.
Available only in white, this comforter comes in four standard mattress sizes: Twin XL, Full, Queen, and King. The Benji Cooling Duvet Comforter is easy to care for, too. You can wash it at home with your sheets and pillowcases when it’s time to freshen your bedroom.
- Cooling Gel Fibre. This light and airy solution regulates temperatures so warm users can sleep cool. Moisture-wicking properties draw sweat away from you as well.
- Corner Loops. Loops added to the corners of the comforter help ensure the comforter remains in place when you use a duvet cover.
- All-Season Use. While lightweight in design, the comforter still keeps users warm even in cold temperatures. You won’t overheat in the summer or get too cold in the winter.
- Hypoallergenic and Antimicrobial. The microfibre used in this product protects against allergy flares, odours, and more. It’s easy to care for and stays fresh longer.
Our Expert’s Take
“This comforter is light and airy, while also being soft and luxurious. It’s an excellent choice for Canadians looking for a comforter that balances equally between comfort and quality.”
Best Warm Comforter
Amazon Basics Ultra-Soft Micromink Comforter Set
It's Great For:
The Amazon Basics Ultra-Soft Micromink Comforter Set is one of the best options in Canada for those who need a warmer comforter. If you often find yourself shivering through colder Canadian nights, this option can help you stay warm and cozy. The cover is made with micromink polyester on one side and faux Sherpa fleece on the other. The comforter is fully reversible, so you can use the warmer fleece side for colder seasons.
This bed set includes one comforter and two pillow shams. The pillow shams match completely, meaning they have faux Sherpa on one side and micromink polyester on the other. The fill is a comfortable polyester down alternative that helps retain heat, with box stitching to keep the fill evenly distributed.
There are 24 different colour options for this comforter set, including various plaids and patterns in different colour options. You can select an option to get a set of sheets in black along with your comforter set, which is especially useful if you don’t have sheets that match.
In addition, these sheets are easy to care for. They can be machine washed and tumble-dried on low at home, so you don’t have to worry about spot-cleaning them. All of the materials used to create this comforter set are OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified, so you know you’re only getting the best.
- Reversible Design. For all-season use, this handy option can be used on either side depending on how warm it is. One side is made from faux Sherpa fleece, while the other is made from micromink polyester.
- Extra Cozy. The down-alternative polyester used as filling for the comforter creates a luxuriously cozy feel.
- Easy Maintenance. This comforter set can be placed in the washing machine and in the dryer on low.
- Practical Variety. You can choose between 24 colour options, as well as various patterns. This makes it easier to mix and match with this set.
From the Test Lab
“The Amazon Basics Ultra-Soft Micromink Comforter Set is great for those who need a warmer option during the winter months. It’s well-cushioned, soft, and comes in 24 different colour options.”
Comparing the Best Comforter Sets for Canadians
|Best Overall||Silk & Snow Down Alternative Duvet||100% Cotton||Down-Like Microfill||White||Twin/Twin XL, Full/Queen, King/California King|
|Best Down Duvet||Silk & Snow Canadian Down Duvet||100% Cotton||100% Canadian Duck Down||White||Twin/Twin XL, Full/Queen, King/California King|
|Best Patterned||Utopia Bedding Printed Comforter Set||Brushed Microfibre Polyester||Down Alternative Polyester||Fretwork Quatrefoils: Gray, Navy, Red, Chocolate, Real, Plum, Beige; Standard Fretwork: Red, Navy, Gray, Chocolate||Twin, Full, King, Queen|
|Best All-Season||Amazon Basics Microfibre Comforter Set||Polyester Microfibre||Polyester||Teal/Beige, Black Mosaic, Pink Floral, Navy Blue Medallion||Twin, Twin XL, Queen, King|
|Best Colour Options||Bare Home Comforter Set||Microfibre||Down-Alternative Microfibre Fill||25 Options||Twin/Twin XL, Full, Queen, King/California King, Oversized Queen, Oversized King|
|Best Lightweight||HIG 3pc Down Alternative Comforter Set||Double Brushed Microfibre||Down-Alternative Fibrefill||21 Options||Twin/Twin XL, Full/Queen, King/California King|
|Best Breathable||Decroom Comforter Set||Microfibre||100% Polyester||Black/Grey, Blue/Grey, Purple, White, Pink, Red/Black, Yellow/Grey||Twin, Queen, King|
|Best Goose Down Duvet||Canadian Down & Feather Company Hutterite Goose Down Duvet||Cotton||White Goose Down||White||Twin, Double, Queen, King, XL Queen, XL King|
|Best Craftsmanship||Maple & Stone Comforter Set||Brushed Microfibre||Polyester Down Alternative||Grey, Black, Dark Grey, Navy, Tan, White||Twin, Queen, King|
|Best Cooling||Benji Cooling Duvet Comforter||Microfibre||Down-Alternative Gel Fibre||White||Twin XL, Full, Queen, King|
|Best Warm Comforter||Amazon Basics Ultra-Soft Micromink Comforter Set||Micromink Polyester and Faux Sherpa Fleece||Down Alternative||24 Options||Twin, Full/Queen, King|
How Did We Select These Comforter Sets in Canada?
We’ve been in the sleep industry for years! In that time, we’ve developed a keen eye for what makes a great night of sleep. But don’t trust our experience alone! We also tested each of these comforter sets in our test lab. We put them through rigorous testing and evaluation to determine how they might react to different sleepers. We also got extensive feedback from our team of at-home testers, who spent a significant amount of time with these comforter sets.
We evaluated our recommendations for the best comforter sets in Canada using a few key performance areas:
- Materials. A comforter set’s exterior materials can make all the difference. We made sure each comforter set was made with quality materials, inside and out.
- Fill. The filling is important, too. We looked at the filling for each comforter set to determine how it would react to heat, how lofty it was, and if it would be right for you.
- Contents. The contents of a comforter set can help you decide which one to get. We evaluated which pieces came with each comforter set, to offer you a wealth of options.
- Style. One of the biggest aspects of your comforter purchase is the style. We looked at the available colour, pattern, and style options for each comforter to bring you the best selection.
Comforter vs Duvet: Which One is Right For You?
Comforters and duvets are often confused, meaning that you might not know which one you want. However, they aren’t quite the same. There are a few key differences that can make all the difference.
First, comforters don’t need to go into a cover. Duvets need to be covered with a duvet cover for extra protection. This means that duvets are easier to keep fresh (because you can wash just the cover when it gets dirty). However, most comforters can be washed in a machine, as long as you have a machine that’s big enough.
Since duvets have to be put into a duvet cover, it can be a bit more difficult to use them. Duvets can be difficult to slide into their covers, no matter how easy they say it is. A comforter is a single piece. You can put a comforter inside a duvet cover, but most users use the comforter as-is, without any additional covers.
On the other hand, duvets are usually fluffier. They have a bit more loft and breathability. Comforters suffer a little from their quilted-through design and can be a little thinner and flatter than duvets.
The right option for you depends on your preferences. A comforter is a simple option that contains everything you need without any additional purchases. Plus, it often comes in sets with other pieces to help coordinate your bedding.
How to Choose a Comforter Set for Canadians
Purchasing a comforter set is more complicated than you might think. Once you’ve made the decision to purchase a comforter set, you need to consider the basics as well as a few special features and performance areas. Below, we’ll break down everything you need to know to choose the best comforter set for you.
Materials and Fabrics
The material used on the exterior of the comforter can determine how soft it is. It’s an important factor to consider when purchasing a comforter set. Some of the options include:
- Cotton. Cotton is a soft, breathable material that can feel smooth on your comforter. You may find that as you wash your comforter more, the cotton cover will become softer and more comfortable on your skin.
- Brushed microfibre. Microfibre is an extremely breathable and mostly synthetic material. This material is soft and cool and will help those who overheat stay asleep throughout the night.
- Polyester. Polyester is a fully synthetic material that is soft and durable. It’s easy to care for and doesn’t ever lose its soft touch. Polyester is also one of the least expensive comforter materials you can choose.
The fill inside the comforter can make all the difference. There are many different fill options to choose from, so make sure to pay special attention to the fill available in the mattress you choose. Here are a few of the options available:
- Cotton fill. Comforters filled with cotton are usually lightweight and soft, with a thin layer of cotton fill helping insulate you in the summer and the winter.
- Wool fill. Wool is a natural fill that helps regulate temperature. Wool is warm, but it can also be breathable and fluffy in the summertime. It wicks away moisture, reducing sweating and overheating.
- Down fill. Down is a soft material made from the finer feathers of birds like ducks and geese. Down tends to be loftier, fluffier, and more breathable than some synthetic materials. However, those who are allergic to down should avoid it.
- Down alternative/synthetic. A down-alternative synthetic fill can be any range of man-made options, including polyester. However, not all down alternatives are polyester. Others can range from a variety of materials.
- Polyester fill. Polyester is a synthetic material that is sustainable and often preferable to natural fibres (especially for those with allergies). The vast majority of comforters will use some type of polyester fill, including microfibre and fibre fill.
You should choose the fill that best fits your sleep style. You should try different options if possible! The only way to know for sure which fill option you prefer is to try multiple options to find what works for you.
Colours and Patterns
Colours and patterns are, of course, a personal preference. However, the options for your comforter set can play a huge role in how you decide which one to purchase. Many companies offer a select number of solid colours and patterns. Browse to find the one that best matches your home design, but make sure to look at actual pictures of the comforter. The pictures in the listing may show the colours as more vibrant or a different shade than it is. If there are user review images, see what the comforter looks like in different lighting.
Choose a pattern to match your décor if you can find one, and don’t be afraid to shop around until you find a comforter that you love!
Keep in mind that you can always use a duvet cover for your comforter set. If you can’t find a comforter set that works with your decor, you can always choose a more appropriate duvet cover. Of course, this comes with its own set of challenges. It remains an option for those who need more options than their chosen comforter set offers.
There are six standard mattress sizes, but not every comforter set comes in all sizes. For example, many comforter sets only come in larger sizes (Queen and King), and only a select few come in California King.
The six standard sizes are Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King. You should choose a comforter that matches the size of your bed, but there are some exceptions.
For example, if you like your comforter to hang off the bed, choosing a size up isn’t such a bad idea. If you have a queen-sized mattress but prefer your comforter to hang over the sides of the bed, a king-sized comforter can be the perfect option for you. It’s down to your preference, especially if you want to mismatch the size.
Note that there are some extra sizes as well – including super king or super queen (designed for more overhang or to offer relief to cover-hogging partners), and even split king for adjustable beds.
Included with the Set
What’s included in your comforter set? Usually, your comforter set includes the comforter and a set of pillow shams. Select sets may come with other extras (including matching cushions and even sheet sets). However, most commonly, you’ll find a comforter in your chosen size and an appropriate number of pillow shams.
Usually, it goes something like this:
- Twin/Twin XL: 1 comforter, 1 pillow sham
- Full: 1 comforter, 2 pillow shams
- Queen: 1 comforter, 2 pillow shams
- King/California King: 1 comforter, 2 pillow shams
However, what’s included in some sets may vary. Always check to see what comes with your comforter so you can plan accordingly. Be aware that some companies choose to sell different pieces separately. Make sure you double-check this information before you make a purchase.
Stitching and Construction
Much like duvets, comforters use stitching and construction to control where the fill lays. A boxed construction is the most common. This construction uses small quilted boxes to keep the fill from slipping to one side or bunching up. Other constructions include channel stitching for the same purpose. It’s extremely important to choose a comforter set with smaller fill sections. The fill will shift over time, and you want a comforter that will last.
However, comforter construction isn’t as strict as duvet stitching. There are a variety of different stitch or quilting patterns for comforters. All work well to keep the fill right where you want it. Some might create beautiful patterns on the top of the mattress, too!
Warmth and Breathability
Canadians have different sleeping preferences, of course. You should understand how you sleep best to help choose a comforter that works best for you. If you often wake up warm, you should choose a thinner comforter. Breathable materials like cotton are best for those who sleep warm. Most comforters use polyester fill, which can be breathable when very little is used.
If you need a little more warmth from your comforter, look for a polyester or microfibre fabric. Polyester fill can keep you very warm as well, but you should choose a comforter with a higher loft if you find yourself getting cold often. The fill type and loft can be important to consider when it comes to temperature, too.
If you are concerned about the warmth or breathability of your comforter set, make sure to research how others have felt about it. This can give you a good idea of how it might feel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Comforter sets are a great way to ensure that you have matching comfortable bedding that will keep you cozy across the seasons. They are often less expensive and lighter than duvets, plus they come with matching pieces to elevate the look of your bedroom. Plus, comforter sets can be just as comfortable as duvets, especially if you choose a high-quality option.
Comforter sets are easy to use to achieve a comfortable sleeping experience within minutes. You can use the provided pieces to change your bedding then place the comforter on top. If you have a duvet, most comforters come with easy inserts for duvet covers.
Down comforters are known for the luxurious feeling they offer, but there are now plenty of down alternatives that can feel just as sensational. If you are allergic to down or worried about the implications of choosing a down comforter, a down alternative option can be just as wonderful. If you don’t want to choose down or a material that mimics down, there are plenty of other fill options for comforter sets in Canada.
You can absolutely use a duvet cover with the comforter in your comforter set. This is a great way to improve the lifespan of your comforter, as well as reducing wear and tear. You’ll have to wash your comforter less often than if you don’t use a duvet cover as well. If you change up your bedroom decor, you can choose a matching duvet cover instead of replacing the entire comforter.
You should choose a comforter set that is the same size as your bed. Because comforter sets often come with matching sheets, you should always match your comforter set to the size of your mattress. It can be tempting to choose a larger size so the comforter drapes comfortably over the sides of the bed, but then you won’t be able to use the other pieces that come with the set.
A down comforter or duvet insert can last for up to twenty years when it is properly cared for. On the other hand, the less-expensive down alternative comforter set can last between five and ten years. No matter which option you choose, you will definitely get your money’s worth in the long run.